Kim Jisoo

It's Going to be You Always

Jennie was alone in the living room of her childhood home inside the family estate rewinding the afternoon’s events in her head. She is to be married! What ridiculousness is this? It’s 2018, for goodness sake! She thought. Her grandmother gave her a copy of a magazine where this Jisoo is a cover for her to have an idea on how she looks like. Apparently, the girl is some sort of a tech genius who happens to work on the family’s robotics branch. Jennie observed the girl’s eyes, nose, and lips. The girl gives off a shy, girl-next-door vibe. She’s pretty, alright, but she’s not you, Nayeon. Jennie froze at the thought. It has been months since she and Nayeon broke up but the girl is very much on her mind.

                She sighed and decided to go to the kitchen and grab the nearest alcohol available. Good thing her dad keeps his liquor cabinet full of whiskey. “Jennie Kim, is that alcohol you’re consuming?” a voice said from behind her.

                “Grandma! Oh my goodness you scared me!” Jennie immediately threw the contents of the glass in the sink. “What are you doing up so late, grandma?”

                “I should be asking you that same question. Aside from that, when were you allowed to drink alcohol?”

                “I’m 24, grandma, I am basically an adult.” Jennie answered good-naturedly. Her grandmother laughed and they both sat at the dining table. “Time goes by so fast, indeed.” Her grandmother stated while looking ahead. “It seems only yesterday that your grandfather and I are developing these hybrid seeds for farmers to grow during the rainy season. Everyone called that the miracle rice back then.”

                “You and grandpa are always together, huh.”

                “Of course, we saved this company from being completely under the control of the Americans. We made our products accessible to the general public that’s why it has continued to be a household name.” Jennie’s grandmother continued relieving the past and Jennie listened intently. She loves these stories. She loves getting a glimpse of how her grandmother was. She always viewed her grandmother as her hero. For Jennie, she is the epitome of a strong woman.

                “I would like to apologize, dear, for putting you in this position. If we have other choice, we don’t need to do that. You can always back out. We won’t hold a grudge against you if you do.” Her grandmother said. Jennie was at loss for words. She wonders if this is a strategy her grandmother would use for her not to back out. She laughed inwardly.

                “It’s okay, grandma. I guess I have been avoiding our business for so long, this is the least I can do.” Jennie said and sighed. “So, how did you meet Jisoo?” she asked, changing the topic. Her grandmother smiled, eyes sparkling and radiates good humor. “Oh I met her first at a market in Daegu. I didn’t know it was her, but I was struggling with my groceries and she offered to help. Her help includes shouting so loud so that every able bodied men would hear us and help us.”

                “When did you learn that she’s Kim Jisoo? And why Kim? I thought their family name was Bae?”

                “Yes it is. You see it has been a bit of a scandal in their family. Jisoo is an illegitimate child. Her father is the patriarch’s eldest son who is already married to their business partner. Poor girl, that Jisoo. Her grandmother hates her.” Her grandmother paused. “But still, she is one of the strongest ladies I know. Laughs a lot, makes her own rules. Her achievements are hers and hers alone.”

                “But she works for their company, right?”

                “Yes, I do believe, she is. But from what she told me, she also has a lot of side projects with her friends. Definitely a good kid, that Kim Jisoo. I always see myself in her.” Jennie was silent. It seems Jisoo has already enchanted her grandmother’s heart. There are only few people that managed to easily make her grandmother’s guards down and apparently Jisoo is one of them. Interesting, Jennie thought, even Nayeon wasn’t able to do that during their three-year relationship.

                “How is she with her family?” Jennie asks.

                “Well that I don’t know. When we met with the Baes, she is sitting with her sister. I couldn’t tell if they were close. Her sister is a personality, you might have heard of Bae Joohyun.”

                “Oh yes, they call her Irene, too. Why can’t she be the one I’m marrying?” Jennie joked. Her grandmother laughed hard. “I guess Joohyun is pretty. But she seems a bit cold, don’t you think? I never found a young lady so intimidating.”

                “So is she married already? Why aren’t she in the market?” Jennie asked. Bae Joohyun is one of her all time crushes plus the fact that the woman is considered one of the most powerful business tycoons of her generation. “No, the girl isn’t married. But she has other plans. She is hands-on in the new department of their company. Plus she inherited the restaurant business of her mom’s family.”

                “Impressive.” Jennie can’t help but be in awe. “Impressive, indeed. But I’d like to see more of my Jisoo. She might be less stern than her sister but she has eyes set to kill and a beautiful face, if I might add.” Her grandmother stood up and decided to go to sleep. “Remember, dear,” she said before walking out of the kitchen door. “We just want the best for everyone. Including you.”