Sisterhood

It's Going to be You Always

 

                “How dare that cousin of yours show her face here?” Jennie’s grandfather fumed. “And what gave you the idea of inviting her here, Jennie?” Jennie shrugged and Jisoo raised an eyebrow. It was supposed to be their day and Jennie does not understand why it’s a big deal if she invited Yongsun. Sure, their family had issues with Yongsun and her choice to be a jazz singer and her liberated lifestyle but can’t they just declare water under the bridge for her? It’s her betrothal after all. The press are here. Jennie imagined the press having the time of their life when Yongsun showed up. She is betting her cousin loved the attention too.

                “With all due respect, sir. This is Jennie’s day. She’s allowed to invite whoever she likes. Plus, Ms. Yongsun and Jennie shared a special bond among cousins. It’s only natural for Jennie to have her cousin witness her engagement.” Jisoo said defiantly. Jisoo’s father grunts. “Jisoo, how many times do I have to tell you, don’t talk when you’re not being spoken to?” He said.

                “Father please – “ Joohyun said, trying to talk some sense to her father.

                “It’s high time your sister learns some respect, Joohyun. Don’t spoil her too much. It’s not enough her mother’s sisters and brothers spoil her. Look at her now, she grew up to be disrespectful!” Jisoo’s father exclaimed. Jennie was shocked by how Jisoo’s father address her. She looked at Jisoo. The girl was clenching her jaw, eyes reddening. Joohyun is about to retaliate but Jennie was quick to face Jisoo’s father. “Don’t talk to Jisoo that way!” She said rather harshly. The room fell quiet and everyone is looking at her including Jisoo. Thank heavens, the guests and the press are all gone. Jennie gulped and continued her façade. “I don’t care if our family’s business is on the line here but Jisoo does not deserve that treatment. She is, after all, your daughter. Whatever your regrets might be on doing that mistake, do not take it out on Jisoo. She isn’t the mistake. You are. She has paid enough by agreeing to this arrangement.” Jennie concluded. She eyes Joohyun who is looking at her with her poker face. Bae Joohyun smiled slowly at Jennie. It was a smile of approval. Jisoo stood up and is about to say sorry but Joohyun beat her to it.

                “Jennie is right, Father. Leave Jisoo out of your misery. Besides, she has the best of luck out of all of us. She found a better family.” Joohyun then proceeded to hug Jennie mumbling her gratitude, and then hugged Jisoo who is still clenching her jaw, eyes still red. Joohyun kissed her younger sister on the forehead and mumbled stuff silently which made Jisoo nod. Everyone shook hands to mark the end of the day and to consider the problem solved. Jennie saw Jisoo go out of the room and followed her.

                Jisoo is at the balcony when Jennie reached her. Her small figure slumped against the railing. The girl is breathing heavily and clutching the railing tightly, her knuckles were pale. “Jisoo…” Jennie said silently walking towards the girl. Suddenly, Jisoo violently inhales and exhales. She’s hyperventilating. Jisoo is having an anxiety attack. Jennie quickly grabbed the girl into a hug and silently repeating her name in hushed tones. “It’s okay, Jisoo. I’m here. You’re okay. We’re going to be okay.”

                A few minutes have gone and Jisoo is no longer shaking but she is still collapsed in Jennie’s arms. The couple stayed for another minute in the balcony. “I’m sorry, Jennie.” Jisoo whispered, her voice husky from the exhaustion. “No worries, love. I’m here. I’ll take care of you.” Jennie promised silently.

 

                Jennie brought Jisoo to her room. She was greeted by Joohyun who was shocked to see Jisoo in an exhaustive state. Jennie learned that Jisoo is prone to anxiety attacks especially when dealing with their family. Joohyun shared that Jisoo was diagnosed back in high school and living in Hongdae with her friends had made a good impact on her sister.

                She returned to her family’s quarters in the hotel. The Kim clan occupied the other half of the hotel, after all. She found her grandparents in the lounge in front of the fire. “It’s Yongsun’s fault. Every time misunderstandings happen, she is always at the center of it.” Jennie heard her grandfather say.

                “Nonsense, dear. The issue was blown out of proportion. Besides, Jennie invited her here. She even gave a good speech.” Her grandmother countered. Jennie cleared to announce her presence. She entered the lounge and sat opposite her grandmother and gave a curt nod to her grandfather. Meanwhile, her grandfather stood up and left the lounge. Jennie and her grandmother sat in silence for a while.

                “Jisoo had an anxiety attack. This afternoon’s events took a toll on her.” Jennie started. Shock registered in her grandmother’s face. Everything is a silent tonight. Even the cicadas took a break, maybe they, too, feel the dread in Jisoo’s mind. Jennie feels weird. Just a days ago she doesn’t care whatever happened to anyone included in this arranged mess, but now, she feels the need to protect Jisoo and show her all the wonderful things in the world. Jennie doesn’t like the feeling. It’s too soon to be like this. She’s not over Nayeon yet.

               

                Morning came and it was relatively peaceful compared to last night. Joohyun and Jisoo went home earlier than everyone else and Jennie felt a bit disappointed on not seeing Jisoo after last night. Her mother prodded her to attend all of her appointments for the wedding preparation and go with Jisoo for other preparations like invitations and the planning. Jennie rolled her eyes as she got inside her car. She doesn’t like lavish preparations for a single-day event. When will they get that through their thick skull?

                While stuck in traffic, Jennie thought of going right to Jisoo’s apartment in Hongdae but as she grabbed her phone from the parallel seat, a message appeared. It was her friend Sana. Hey there, since you’re getting married and all, how about join us for a fun party in town? For the last time? See you! Mwa! Jennie read and blinked. She thought back to the last time she saw Sana and the others. She immediately called Lisa. “Have you received Sana’s text?” she asked as soon as Lisa answered the call. “Yes, and good morning to you, too. What time are we going?” Lisa yawned in the other line as she asked the question.

                “Be ready by 7? We should shop for a new dress together. I’m at Gangnam at the moment. Should I meet you here?” Jennie asked. It took them a minute to finalize their meeting place and Jennie immediately went to the restaurant where they will be meeting.

 

                Meanwhile, at Joohyun’s apartment in uptown Seoul, the sisters are propped up in the sofa eating breakfast. “Jennie’s grandmother is so kind to give us home cooked meals. Thanks to her, we’re not having noodles for breakfast right now.” Joohyun commented. Jisoo nodded and ate her food with much gusto. It’s a good sign for Joohyun, it means her sister is no longer upset. “How come you don’t cook meals like this? You said you know how to cook traditional meals.” Jisoo said with a pout.

                “Yes, I do. But it takes time. You know how packed my schedule has become since I started to manage my mother’s restaurants and with father’s near retirement, I think I am going to be busy until I’m 50.”

                “Congratulations, Hyun. You are now officially married to your work.” Jisoo said with an obnoxious laugh. “But seriously though, you should relax. Have some nice time out with Seungwan and Sooyoung. I’m sure they miss you a lot.”

                “We always talk to each other via text. What are you talking about? Besides Seungwan is still in the US to represent their company in the White House. Sooyoung, on the other hand, is on a European trip. She recently broke up with her boyfriend.” Joohyun explain.

                “I meant, you need a time when you can just relax and have fun. Since when was the last time you dated? It was 5 years ago with that Taiwanese girl… Emerald? Ruby? Amber!” Jisoo said. Joohyun laughed and shook her head.

                “Really? Emerald?” Joohyun said and sighed. “Have you forgotten I have dated Sunmi after Amber?”

                “Er… I blocked Sunmi out of the narrative. What she did to you was…unfair.” Jisoo answered and pouted. The sisters were silent for a while until Joohyun chuckled. “You know, that was already in the past, albeit a couple of years ago.  I have forgiven her now. We should talk about you.”

                “Wow that was a nice save. I knew you’re still sore about it.” Jisoo rolled her eyes at her sister’s raised eyebrows. “And what do you mean we should talk about me? What is there to talk about?”

                “Well, for one, you’re about to get married. How are you really feeling?” Joohyun asked. Jisoo fell silent and looked out the window. As her older sister looks at her expectantly, Jisoo released a breath she didn’t know she was holding. “I guess it isn’t really sinking in yet. I mean, I have nothing to regret…yet.” Jisoo looked at her sister and smiled sadly. “Also, I hope, that this pays whatever I owe your family.” Joohyun winced at Jisoo’s last words. She immediately placed her bowl down and sat where Jisoo was sitting and hugged her.

                “You , you don’t owe us anything. Don’t let them tell you otherwise, okay? It isn’t your fault. None of this is your fault.”

                “But it is. Your family is destroyed by my existence.” Jisoo said softly. Joohyun hugged her sister tightly this time. “It was our father’s choices that destroyed our family. Not yours. Even my mother knows that. Please don’t feel that way. If you don’t really want to, we can always cancel this arrangement.”

                “And be at the receiving end of scrutiny once again? No thanks. I can’t handle the stress.” Jisoo answered sternly and releasing herself from her sister’s embrace. Joohyun sighed. There is no convincing Jisoo when she becomes this stubborn. Everything was silent between the two until their phones beeped.

                “It’s Seulgi. She’s inviting me to a gig later. It’s the annual Warped Noise. Music acts from all over Asia representing all genres are gathered. This year, South Korea is hosting it. We’re having guests from North Korea! Oh this so exciting!” Jisoo said.

                “Kim Yongsun texted me. I think she is inviting me to the same event.” Joohyun announced. Jisoo narrowed her eyes at her sister and smiled accusingly. “Are you and Yongsun an item?” she asked while elbowing Joohyun at the ribs.

                “Oh no, Yongsun and I are…alike in a lot of ways. So I don’t think we’ll work if ever we dated. Also, it’s like we have established being friends from the start.” Joohyun explained while laughing. Jisoo pouted. “Right. I just realized you and Yongsun are both bossy tops. I pity your future beaus.” The sisters laughed and spent their morning with Jisoo explaining her favorite musicians and explaining their discography to the older girl.