2. The Puritanical Wizarding World

Yer A Wizard!

“I’ve been doing a lot of thinking lately, and I’ve made a decision that I hope won’t make you angry.”

Jinhwan looked up from his Defense Against The Dark Arts textbook, narrowed eyes settling on his cousin. “I don’t like it when you think too much outside of class.”

Hanbin carried on despite the barb, set in his decision. “Now that we’ve mastered the animagi spell, I think we should add to our ranks.”

Jinhwan rolled his eyes, disappointed but not entirely surprised. “Can’t we at least have some fun by ourselves first before you go taking in strays?”

“It’s only fair, Jinhwan, I cannot in good conscience hide our discoveries from this peer of mine.”

“Oh Merlin, you’re talking about that muggle, aren’t you!” Jinhwan closed his textbook and put it aside. “Hanbin, you owe him nothing.”

“But I do! He’s been sharing those potions notes with me that he found in his used textbook, and well, you know I’ve always been good at potions—”

“Obviously, it runs in the family—”

“But the intensity of my potions has increased tenfold! It’s all thanks to that book of his. He could have kept it to himself and ruined me in class this year, but he made the decision to share with me instead. I have to repay that kind of loyalty.”

Jinhwan sighed and shook his head. “Imagine the shrieks coming from grandfather’s painting if he knew you were sharing family secrets with a muggleborn.”

Hanbin shrugged. “Well it’s a good thing he frequents your manor and not mine. He hasn’t been in our house since he called my mother a lush for being drunk on firewhiskey in the afternoon on her birthday last year.”

Jinhwan couldn’t help but grin. “That turned out to be her favourite birthday gift, didn’t it?”

“Which one? The firewhiskey or grandfather disappearing from our house?” Hanbin grinned back at him.

“Both, really. Even so, are you sure you want to teach it to him? How are you even going to explain it to him, since we’re not allowed to speak it out loud?”

Hanbin waved the concern off. “I’ll describe it, it’ll be fine. Nothing happened when I told Junhoe, after all.”

“Well, you got lucky there. Donghyuk will probably require more specifics. And really, how do you know he won’t go telling teachers? He’s a Hufflepuff, Hanbin! I don’t know that it’s a sound idea.”

“The hat wanted to put him in Ravenclaw, I’ll have you know! His thirst for knowledge outweighs his conscience at times. I’m positive he’ll keep our secret.”

Jinhwan frowned and shook his head, still uneasy. “He’ll probably go straight to Sprout.”

“He won’t! I’ll make sure he signs our contract.”

“Fine,” Jinhwan sighed, “just do me one favour.”

Hanbin paused before answering, staring at his cousin with suspicious eyes. “That depends on the favour.”

Jinhwan smiled back at him. “Don’t bring up my name until he signs the paper.”

Hanbin glared back at him, arms crossed over his chest. “You expect me to sacrifice myself in case he’s untrustworthy?”

“Of course,” Jinhwan replied, “he’s your friend, Hanbin. He’s your responsibility.”
 



“Hey Hanbin!” Hufflepuff fifth year Kim Donghyuk entered the empty classroom on the seventh floor, meeting with his potions partner. He closed the door behind him and sat down next to his Ravenclaw friend, curious what they were meeting about. Hanbin’s note at breakfast had been suspiciously vague.

“Donghyuk,” Hanbin nodded to him in greeting, “I apologize for the shadowy secrecy, but what I’m prepared to speak to you about is something that you must agree to keep between us.”

Donghyuk listened with raised eyebrows and a piqued curiosity. “Alright, you have my ear.”

Hanbin frowned back at him. “No I don’t, they’re both attached to your head.”

Donghyuk grinned back at him. “Sorry, it’s a muggle expression. I mean I’m listening, I’m interested.”

“You could have just said that,” Hanbin replied with an annoyed tone of voice that made Donghyuk’s grin grow wider. “I want you to understand that I have hand-selected you from among all of my peers for this. I would not consent to sharing this information with just anyone.”

“Oh, I’m special, am I?” Donghyuk was happy to hear it. Despite being a muggleborn, he’d managed to solidify an academic friendship with Hanbin early on. Hanbin came from one of the oldest, most respected pureblood families in the wizarding world. At first everyone had been surprised when they’d become friends, but Donghyuk knew it all came down to magical proficiency. Hanbin had hated him at first for continually besting him in class, but at the end of their second year he’d decided the rivalry was counter-productive, and ever since they’d been friends.

“Yes, you know that by now. But I wanted to re-affirm it so you understand just how serious this is.”

Donghyuk smiled at him. “Okay, I get it! Super serious, don’t tell a soul.”

Hanbin nodded before continuing. “I’ve selected you specifically because you’re the only one who equals my skill in transfiguration.”

Donghyuk nodded. “That’s logically sound.”

Hanbin paused before continuing, giving himself one last chance to change his mind. But he couldn’t. He owed it to Donghyuk. “Alright, I’ll get right into it. There are some witches and wizards within our community who adopt animal personas.”

Donghyuk’s face went blank. “Animal personas?”

Hanbin nodded, curious if Donghyuk knew what he was talking about. “Yes. Are you familiar with this practice?”

“Uh yes, actually I am.” He blushed then, looking at the table. “I have to admit though, I didn’t expect to hear about this in the wizarding community.”

Hanbin fixed him with a confused expression. “What do you mean?”

“Well, of all the things to cross over from the muggle world, I didn’t think furries would be one of those things.” Donghyuk looked back at him, feeling slightly embarrassed to say it out loud.

“Furries?” Hanbin asked, unfamiliar with the term. Was it some muggle legend, the sort they usually invented to explain magical happenings?

“Yeah, that’s what we call them. People who adopt animal personas. Or fursonas, if you will.”

“Fursona?” Hanbin pondered the term. “I like that. It has a nice ring to it.”

Donghyuk grinned at the exchange. “So, are you trying to invite me into a furry club?”

Hanbin shrugged. “I suppose, if that’s what you’re intent on calling it.”

Donghyuk wasn’t sure what to think. Furries in the wizarding world! This was the last thing he’d expected to hear about. But maybe it was just one of those things that was meant to be. “You know, I’ve actually never told anyone this, but I actually developed a fursona for myself once. It was a quokka.”

“A what?” Hanbin’s expression was one of confusion, and Donghyuk wanted to laugh at the look on his face.

“A quokka! We were studying indigenous animals to all the continents. They’re from Australia, you don’t find them anywhere else. They’re so cute!”

Hanbin rolled his eyes. “Yes fine, but how did you have one as a muggle?” That was the part that confused him the most. Was Donghyuk already an animagus?

“Well, I just created it.” Donghyuk blushed, embarrassed to be talking about it. “I drew pictures of it once, god it’s so embarrassing! I’m lucky no one ever found out.”

Hanbin still wasn’t sure what the real story was. “Well, no one can find out about this either!”

“I should hope not,” Donghyuk replied. “I dodged a bullet once, I’m not looking to test that again.”

“Listen, the other person involved in this,” Hanbin paused, knowing he’d told Jinhwan he’d make Donghyuk sign their contract first, but he wasn’t threatening to go to a teacher, so he thought it was safe, “you know my cousin, Kim Jinhwan, sixth year Slytherin?”

Donghyuk’s face lit up in a smile. “Oh yeah! The one who likes Junhoe, right? Short and perpetually grumpy?”

“Yes, that’s the one. He and I studied the craft this summer and unlocked the magic, and now we both have our animal forms, the fursonas, you called them. But here’s the thing—we’re not registered with the Ministry, and you won’t be, either.”

Donghyuk’s face dropped in shock. “Hold on. The Ministry registers furries?!” 

Hanbin looked at him with a furrowed brow, like he thought Donghyuk was stupid. “Of course they do.”

Donghyuk’s eyes were wide in disbelief. “Oh my God, the wizarding world is so puritanical, I’m shocked!”

Hanbin’s face screwed up in confusion. “It’s not done for puritanical reasons! This is serious magic, Donghyuk.”

Donghyuk grinned at him. “Okay, whatever you say. Registering furries.” He chuckled to himself, unable to hold back the laugh. It was just so absurd!

Hanbin didn’t understand why it was funny to Donghyuk, but after two years of friendship he was used to the muggleborn laughing at odd things. “Well, now that I’ve established your interest, it would be better if Jinhwan joined us. It’ll be easier for you to study with both of us helping you.”

“Sure thing, Hanbin. Just tell me when and where!” Furries. What could they possibly have to teach him about creating a fursona? Wizards were so eccentric at times.
 



“Alright, before we start, Donghyuk I need you to sign this paper. It magically binds you to secrecy.”

“HANBIN!” Jinhwan yelled. “You were supposed to do this already!”

“I know,” Hanbin waved him off, “I forgot.”

“How does the binding work?” Donghyuk asked, not fazed by their bickering.

“It’s been enchanted, so if you ever tell anyone about this, it locks your tongue and the word traitor will appear on your forehead.” Hanbin replied, grinning when Donghyuk looked shocked.

“Wow, this is really serious for just a couple of fursonas.”

“Please sign it with this quill,” Hanbin passed him a quill.

“Okay well hold on, before I sign this, I just want to make something clear.” He’d been doing a lot of thinking since the day before, remembering things from the muggle furry communities.

“What?” Hanbin asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

“I’m not doing any restricted stuff.” Donghyuk replied, hoping they understood what he meant.

“Donghyuk, this entire practice is restricted. You’re not supposed to do this without Ministry approval! Hanbin, didn’t you explain this to him?” Jinhwan looked between the two of them.

Donghyuk shook his head. “Wow, first the Ministry registers furries, now they have to pre-approve you to even be a furry? Honestly, the muggle world should take a lesson.”

“Donghyuk!” Hanbin shouted. “Just sign it!”

“I mean it,” Donghyuk replied, looking at Hanbin, “no adult stuff!”

“No what?” Hanbin looked from Donghyuk to Jinhwan, who was equally confused.

“Oh God, don’t make me say it!” Donghyuk whined.

“Say it, because neither of us understand what you’re talking about.” Jinhwan replied, annoyed at the whole thing.

Donghyuk’s face went completely red then and he refused to look at either of them. “. I know a lot of furries are into it and I won’t go that far!”

“I should hope not!” Hanbin replied, aghast at the idea. “That would break all sorts of cross-species breeding statutes!”

Donghyuk wasn’t sure what that had to do with it, but he was relieved nonetheless. “Okay, good.”

“I mean yes, okay, so our family has a history with cross-species breeding, but that was before statutes were created! They’re heirloom pets, they don’t harm anyone.”

“Hanbin! We’re not supposed to talk about that!” Jinhwan yelled, wishing he had something nearby to throw at his cousin.

Donghyuk wasn’t about to ask. “Alright, so we’re in agreement. Just fursonas for fun, right? Nothing ?”

Hanbin huffed at the question. “Nothing ! Sign the paper.”

As Donghyuk signed his name down, Jinhwan finally relaxed. “So have you decided what animal you’re going to use? You should go with something common around these parts as not to arouse suspicion.”

“Jinhwan’s a white cat, and I’m a pitbull. You can’t do that croaker thing, okay?” Hanbin said, hoping Donghyuk wasn’t going to use that animal.

“Quokka.” Donghyuk corrected, grinning when Hanbin rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, that! You said it’s only in Australia.”

“Okay fine. How about a cute little puppy?” Donghyuk offered.

“Perfect!”

Donghyuk laid the quill down on the desk when he finished signing his name, then looked between Hanbin and Jinhwan. “Well, that felt anti-climactic.”

“Are you ready?” Hanbin asked, putting the quill and document into an extendable pouch he carried around his neck.

“For what?” Donghyuk asked.

“To see our forms!” Hanbin replied.

“Oh yeah, sure, I didn’t bring any parchment with me but if you have some spare I can—” Donghyuk’s mouth dropped open in mid-sentence the second that Hanbin transfigured himself into a large grey and white pitbull, while Jinhwan turned himself into a pretty white cat.

“Oh my God,” Donghyuk replied with a shaky breath, “you’re Animagi. Oh my GOD why didn’t you say that?!”

Hanbin popped back into his human form, looking annoyed. “I did! Well not in the word because I couldn’t say it, but I told you that!”

“NO! You said you had animal personas. Oh my God.”

Jinhwan popped back as well, confused at Donghyuk’s response. “How is that different?”

Donghyuk didn’t answer though, just kept on shaking his head. “I can’t believe I thought you were furries. Oh my God.”

“Donghyuk? Are you okay?” Jinhwan asked, looking at Hanbin, who could only shrug back at him. “What’s a furry then, if not an animagi?”

Donghyuk let out a shrill laugh. “Oh, no. No way. If you don’t know I am NOT telling you. Just forget I ever said anything and teach me how to do this.”

Hanbin and Jinhwan shared equally confused looks before getting down to business.
 



“Hey, Jiwon?” Hanbin approached the sixth year Gryffindor, hoping he wasn’t going to regret this.

Jiwon’s face lit up in a smile when Hanbin approached him. “Hey Hanbin! You need something?”

“I need to ask you a question,” Hanbin replied, glancing past Jiwon to his fellow sixth year friends, “in private.”

“Oooh, private,” Gryffindor sixth year Kim Jisoo replied teasingly, before Jiwon turned back to his friends and bid them goodbye. He pulled a blushing Hanbin away down the hall with him.

“Sorry about them,” Jiwon replied, scratching the back of his neck, “Jisoo always teases me about you.”

Hanbin frowned. He knew Jisoo’s family, an old pureblood family of good stock. He’d thought she was alright. “The nerve of her.”

Jiwon laughed at his response. “It’s not bad! She, uh, just thinks you’re cute.”

Hanbin smiled at the answer, taking her off his mental bad list. “Oh, well, that’s fine, I suppose.”

“So, you wanted to ask me something?” Jiwon looked at him with an eager expression.

“Yes, I require your muggle expertise.” Hanbin replied. Ever since the whole thing with Donghyuk had happened, Hanbin hadn’t been able to stop thinking about what his mixup had been about. Donghyuk was staunchly refusing to tell him and blushed furiously any time he brought it up, so Hanbin had to resort to other avenues of information.

Jiwon smiled at him, pleased to see Hanbin expressing an interest in muggle studies. “Well, I am a muggle expert, at your services!”

Hanbin looked him in the eyes for a moment before asking his question.

“What’s a furry?”

Jiwon’s face fell in shock at the question, and Hanbin’s eyes widened in a panic.

“Jiwon! What’s a furry?!”

Jiwon shook his head. “I don’t know why you’re asking, Hanbin, but the answer is no. Who told you about furries?”

Hanbin frowned. “What are they?”

“You’re better off not knowing. It’s a, uh, it’s a dirty part of muggle society.” Jiwon grinned and looped an arm over Hanbin’s shoulders. “Why don’t we go play some quidditch? Try to score on me?”

Hanbin frowned, annoyed that Jiwon was now the second muggle turning his question down. “Fine, but if I score on you, then you have to tell me!”

“You won’t score on me, but if you do I’ll go one step better. I’ll show you! Deal?”

“Deal!”