Sequel

Still
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook felt something stirred on top of his chest as he tried opening his eyes with a grunt, the sound of a soft, stabilized breathing reaching his ears. Light has just started seeping through the windows amidst the coal curtains, vibrant enough to display that the day had long started.

 

Trying to move but to no avail, he noticed they were still on their position since last night, something quite weird knowing how Yuna tends to move all around everytime in her sleep. He knows well how heavy of a sleeper this girl is, and he’s also well aware she won’t even budge to wake up no matter how much his effort would be. 

 

Heck, he even tried hitting a pan with a laddle near her ears once and even screamed on them to an extent, but sure she only wakes up voluntarily, oftentimes once she falls off.

 

But, though as if always a worm drenched in sea salt, this time, Yuna was just still, serenely settled on his embrace: her head was still on his chest, hair still on the same direction he combed them through last night to stop himself from minding their proximity.

 

Her breathing was calm and relaxed amid the lone dried tear on her cheek he opted to wipe when it caught his sight, and her frame’s still sprawled on top half of his own with her leg resting well on his. 

 

Everything’s just how he last saw it before diving into last night’s quietness except now, she seemed a little more comfortable for her arms were tightly hugging his torso, and it looked like she was burying the side of her head to his chest more as if listening to his heartbeat.

 

It would be funny and certainly, he could let out a guffaw under a different circumstance for it is the first time she actually slept through the night and would wake up in the same position, but he knows he can’t afford to laugh with the way she looked too damn irresistible.. something he sure won’t be denying at all. 

 

The manner she sleeps suddenly looked— and well, ‘felt’— different after all those times he couldn’t count when they would be spending the night together: be it because this is actually the first time they slept like that... or he’s really just purely whipped for that ethereal being on his hold whose visage kept on tempting him to stare since he woke up around 3 in the morning.

 

Fixing her fringe, Jungkook gave in to the temptation of letting his eyes linger on her morning face: the view he’ll never get tired off— yet the same view he’d be depriving himself off for the rest of his life for being the stupid jerk he is. He opted to just gawk at her sleeping face, his mind drifting away to the thought of what awaits him once she opens those doe eyes he unconsciously touched.

 

Will she be mad?

 

Mentally slapping himself as he shook his head a little on how stupid the question sounded, a soft sigh escaped his lips

 

Sure, she would be mad. That’s a no-doubt. 

 

He knows her too well to say he’s certain she’ll be throwing tantrums all day— or days if you would include the sulking— on how he held her wrist tightly, yelling to his face how he always causes her damages for all chances she could get. But this time, it felt like he doesn’t know her enough to predict how she would react and to what extent she’s gonna avoid him with that stupid ‘prank’ he accidentally pulled. 

 

Well, he pondered upon what he did and realized he really went too overboard that he even physically hurt her when she tried to retort.

 

How ironic.. how he wouldn’t want her to experience pain in any way yet made her cry for holding her wrist too tight. Had it not been for his arms lulling her to sleep for the rest of the evening, Jungkook swore he could’ve smacked himself for real in lieu of doing it mentally, probably thirty times more than when she had to cut her hair drastically after he stuck a newly-chewed gum on it. 

 

She didn’t even cry that time but it lasted for two weeks.. what more now that she did? 

 

Those days he can bribe her with sweet potatoes, but this time, he‘s skeptical that those would be of any help.

 

Thinking to himself, it could’ve turned out a different way, though, if he was just consistent.. but talking about the ‘different way’ it’ll turn out to be means she would do worse than usual if he actually confessed instead of swerving away from his real intention and yes, in all stupidity, telling her it was a mere joke.

 

Yuna said she likes Eunha.. even said she had been trying things to be noticed but all of them were just seen as what a good friend would do.. and sure enough he relates to that— except Yuna never even sees what he does. Blame it on how he had been passive all these years that no one could tell he’s really doing something nor trying at the very least.

 

Also, he knows he definitely shouldn’t get his hopes us since there’s nothing to hold onto to begin with.

 

How pathetic, he thought. 

 

Whether he admits it or not, either way he lost.. just how he always does with all the games they play— except, this isn’t some kind of a game anymore, and last night was a confirmation of how he feels.. especially with how bad he felt knowing she never cries that easily, and for all he could remember, the first and last was 8 years ago when he watched her bawl her eyes out all night that autumn after her Dad and older sister had to leave home without notice to settle their worsening company issues abroad.

 

True enough, last night affirmed the way his concern is much too strong to call it friendship, and weird but, amidst all the frustration mixed with worry enveloping his mind of what the consequences would be, there’s a part of him that’s giddy with the way he pictured them on the same position but on their own bed years after today... with a ring hugging her finger.

 

Unconsciously, he laughed inwardly. 

 

When did he even start adoring her this much?

 

When did he start seeing her this way?

 

To be all honest, he doesn’t know, too. 

 

All he remembers is how his breath faltered that one Saturday night during high school when she leaned on his shoulder on their way home to his own parents, drunk and wasted from the party they secretly snuck in. 

 

He could still hear his own voice stuttering as he reasoned out to her mom that she just fell asleep as he was teaching her a Math lesson she had missed. Damn, he even positioned her on his study table when Mrs. Choi asked for a picture: head on a notebook with a pen on hand. Glad she never noticed that he mindlessly put the pen on her left when everyone knows she’s right-handed. 

 

Snapping away from the series of thoughts, Jungkook obliviously lifted his arm, bringing it around her shoulder to hug her frame while the other went to the back of his head as a pillow. Forming his lips into a thin line he stared at her face, admiring how her innocent features remained as they are.

 

His eyes wandered as he took the time to scan her visage once more: from those eyes that never fail to enslave him for times he can never count; her slightly red nose he’d never last a day without flicking; then, down to her thin lips which taste he’s curious with since the heavens know when.. and even now.

 

In the back of his mind, he’s aware he should ready himself for whatever hell is waiting for him once she wakes up, yet he certainly can’t bring himself to do so. Well, maybe the good heavens will grant him more time to stare at her like this before it becomes a luxury..

 

Yet it seems like his wish was caught up with all the staring that the heavens woke Yuna up before it could even reach them, because the next thing he knew, he’s already watching the girl’s furrowed brows with golf balls for eyes as she adjusts her sight to the light of the room. 

 

Jungkook, with his reflexes, removed his hand from her back, accidentally hitting the wall to which he can only react with a small shudder. 

 

Closing his eyes shut, he opted to act like nothing... though the concrete surely made a bit of an impact.

 

Trying to be wary of what she would do, he felt her suddenly removing her arms that were hugging him. Sure he can picture how wide her eyes are now that realization hit her like a brake-less truck. He felt her being conscious of her own actions which he can tell with how careful her movements were, and it seems she was getting up when he felt the weight of her head got off his chest.

 

Amid his closed eyes he knows she was staring as he can feel hers piercing through his soul, and sure he’d be dead by now if looks could kill. 

 

To be honest, he doesn’t know how long the girl’s gonna believe he’s sleeping as she’s aware of how light of a sleeper he is, and certainly, his rising heart rate isn’t of any help. 

 

It’s not like she doesn’t know him enough as he does with her, after all.

 

Expecting Yuna to quickly stand up and leave, he surely wasn’t prepared on what she was bound to do next. 

 

Instead of what he initially thought of, Jungkook suddenly felt her soft hand on his face, caressing his cheek lightly as if she was being careful not to wake him up from his ‘supposed’ slumber. 

 

With the other on his chest to support her weight, Yuna started tapping his cheek as if it was the most fragile thing—probably because of knowing to which extent of movement he would wake up to. Her fingers exude the warmth he’s much familiar with, and he knows he might sleep for real if she goes on even for a single minute.

 

As if a paradox, Jungkook felt a storm brewing on his insides at the same time with a dilemma on whether he should open his eyes or continue with the game he mindlessly plays. With excitement creeping in and winning over the reservations, he chose the latter. 

 

Who knows what words she’ll spit out? 

 

Heck, he just said he shouldn’t get his hopes up, but sure, with just that mere action, he threw his inhibitions away so fast.. yet they all came back when he heard her mouthing the most expected thing she would say.

 

 

 

 

 

“Stupid.” 

 

Yuna, though struggling with how small the bed is, rolled her eyes before trying to fully get up. Only someone stupid won’t know he’s just pretending to be asleep.. and mind you, she’s with a decade of experience to say so.

 

He doesn’t look like that while sleeping, she thought. 

 

And true enough she can say if he is with just a glance considering the dangerous amount of times she had pulled an all-nighter just gaping on his sleeping face.

 

Plus, his chest throbbing so hard never lie as how he does right now. It’s as if his heart’s trying to free itself from his ribcage, practically begging to get itself out.

 

Opting to pull the blanket with her, she figured she should cover it on his face instead, and so she did. Let’s just see how long he can pretend with his stupid little show he’s trying to put up with. 

 

Upon succeeding on getting off the bed— well, getting off of him, rather— Yuna fixed her tank top and pulled the hem of her shorts down as she felt a hint of cold air through the small gaps among the large windows. With hurried yet careful steps, she opted to go to the closet only to find her clothes arranged according to color.. just as how she likes them to be.

 

She noticed how all of them are neatly hanged in place, all in hangers according to sizes.. 

 

..but where are his?

 

Only then did she noticed she actually brought too much for a three-day vacay, leaving him to a disadvantage. Well, it wouldn’t have been the case if she didn’t get too insistent on being his roommate.. nor will they get to that point last night that entails a rather complicated situation she knows she can’t quite handle.

 

Searching with her eyes around the room, the girl’s sight landed on his untouched bag by the side of the bed. And only then did she notice that the bed itself was already by the wall, the bedside tables by its foot. It was certainly not placed there when they arrived, and maybe she didn’t really paid too much attention to the detail with how pissed off she was on thatcertain guy covered in a blanket overhead.. who still lives up to his role until the very moment.

 

With forming an ‘O’, she inwardly applauded the effort.

 

She’s well aware how their Jin-oppa would not want anyone to misplace things according to how he arranged them especially at his own home, but this particular stupid-head-great pretender jerk really had the nerve to push it against the room’s edge.. just like how he always does with his bed everytime she goes to sleepover.

 

Without a warning, here goes her heart again.. repeating the same rhythm as how it races with every little thing he does. 

 

In all honesty, she wouldn’t listen to the tiny whisper, let alone that whisper would even exist, if she doesn’t notice them all.. and damn, she just realized she slept hugging him too—that they were practically cuddling all night, and that fact alone added about another 20 beats per minute atop the hundred-plus counts it already exhibits.

 

Shaking her head a little to get away from her little thoughts, Yuna knows he might be ‘waking up’ any moment soon, so she immediately grabbed her thick jacket and layers of clothes to warm herself amidst the cold weather, her bag which contained her undergarments, and the towel she hanged on the rack by the room’s door. 

 

She practically stormed her way outside, heading to the common bathroom at the end of the hallway with a sigh to calm her heart down. 

 

Sure thing, the room’s heater works well with how the cold outside suddenly started getting onto her and embrace her system, but nonetheless, she doesn’t care if she’s going to have a bit of an inconvenience.

 

He can have that en suite toilet and bath inside their room all to himself.

 

 

 

 

Sowon knows with one look that something happened the night before. There’s something so odd yet apparent, not too vague for her to not comprehend. Mentally praying to the good heavens, she just silently hopes it’s not exactlywhat she thinks it is.

 

She meant, it’s cold.. and dark... and she’s well aware of how strong the tension is between the two that she even thoughtlessly put her car at stake when Yerin challenged her on a bet if the two would date eventually any time soon.

 

For her, that’s given, but she didn’t expect it to escalate.... so quickly. 

 

She knows they had been comfortable literally sleeping together even before she knew them.. yet she also knows they already are far from the kids they once were. What she doesn’t know, however, is if she would be glad knowing she won’t be worrying about her car anymore or practically be frightened on how.. well.. things are getting there too fast.

 

In addition to that, she can tell how the tension seemed like it only got stronger, one thing she had noticed since a little about a year ago, though they were basically ignoring each other since they came in late—and separately—to join the rest of the group for breakfast.

 

Knowing the two since they joined the squad together about seven years back, she‘s confident on figuring them out with whatever they display: Jungkook being harder to read than Yuna’s eyes which basically gives away what she feels if one would just take some time to study them. 

 

True enough it was a skill she had learned to master, but now, it was too obvious that even Namjoon, who only got back about three days ago, also nudged her, asking if she has any idea on why the inseparable pair, who are almost on each other’s neck on a daily basis, treat each other like thin air. 

 

On Mafia games they would point at each other as always, yet this time, both were silent, and Yuna only nodded her head when accused.. a great contrast to her screaming and going to certain extents to defend herself everytime like a framed suspect proving her innocence. 

 

She said she doesn’t wanna speak anyway, one thing they never thought they’ll ever hear from her in their lifetime as she always butts in though already a dead citizen.

 

The paired game of table hockey where all of them were supposedly players ended up having the rules adjusted because the girl, who ironically planned the games yet wasn’t radiating the energy she usually gives off, volunteered to be the game’s scorer, while the older just sat by the corner silently, keeping himself busy with eyes glued on the screen of his phone. 

 

And there’s the time when Yuna almost tripped at noon on some Jenga pieces left uncollected. 

 

In an attempt to tease the youngests of the squad, she was running away as she took the last riddle piece the two had been trying to look for. Jungkook, who was obviously observing the girl’s every move, immediately stood up with annoyance clearly displayed on his visage, earning looks from the rest who are having their snacks by the rest house’s bar counter.

 

Instead of running to her like a madman like how he always does and scold her for not being careful, to almost everyone’s surprise he just sat back, shooting glares as he shoved the whole cupcake inside his mouth to which he almost choked with. Sowon noticed the change on Yuna’s expression from her peripheral view on the other hand though, but the younger was quick to dismiss it by briskly running away upon almost getting caught by SinB.

 

Realizing what’s happening, even Yoongi, the most nonchalant of them all, couldn’t help but silently ask a question. All the eldest of the girls could do was to answer with a shrug as she can’t afford to tell anyone except her fiancé of that possibility she had in mind just yet.

 

Not wanting to entertain the idea more, Sowon opted to look on the ‘brighter side’ that maybe, Jungkook really just became fed up with how Yuna acted that way while deciding on roommates, and like the usual, argued until one sulks. 

 

She swore she’s close to talking to them both and apologize for speaking so authoritatively last night, but after Jin told her about what greeted him during breakfast, her brighter side looked nothing as what she set it up to be.

 

As others were having their first meal of the day, Jin opted to visit each room to see if anyone left some lights on. He’s swore he felt like a kettle being turned off before whistling as he was about to be angered when he noticed the position of the bed, but realizing things especially with how the two ignored each other that morning, he just let the two’s action slide and opted to tell the woman, bragging on how he had connected the dots. 

 

Sure it just inevitably fueled Sowon’s suspicion, but though it may be just because of how concerned she is about the pair, she can’t be so sure for she cannot really afford to accuse them no matter what evidence presents itself.

 

She’s aware she shouldn’t stick her nose on their business

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter