Chapter 10

When memories are gone

The next morning, Mee-Na woke up happy. She spent a very good night, thanks to Yonghwa. The previous day she spent with him was amazing, just like he was too.

She was feeling more and more at ease with him and was happy to live with him, even if she knew it wasn't right. She wasn't to stay with this man who saved him. Despite everything, the more time went by, the more she wanted to stay. Yonghwa was a friend and the only person she could trust.

She dressed and headed to the kitchen, for taking her breakfast with Yonghwa, as nearly every morning. But he wasn't there. She went in the living room, no Yonghwa. She opened the front door, looking on the terrace but he wasn't there too.

Se-Ra, excuse me?”

Yes Mrs Mee-Na?”

Do you know where Yonghwa is? I didn't find him at breakfast.”

Well I didn't see him either since I'm here. I'm not sure he's awake, he must be tired. Or if he woke up, he didn't come downstairs yet.”

Alright, thank you.”

Se-Ra smiled and left Mee-Na on the corridor. She looked at the stairs and decided to check if Yonghwa was in his bedroom. She never went into his bedroom without being invited by Yonghwa. She never knocked on his door.

Mee-Na stood in front of the door, took a deep breath, before finally knocking slowly. No answer. She knocked a little louder, finally hearing a little voice, sounding sleepy coming from the room.

Yes?” she hardly heard from inside.

Oh I guess I woke him up,” she remarked, worried.

She slowly went in the bedroom and saw Yonghwa, still in bed.

Yonghwa? It's Mee-Na. I didn't want to wake up you, sorry. But I didn't see you and...”

It's okay,” as he turned in his bed, “It's just, I think I'm sick,” he sniffed.

Really? Oh I'm sorry.”

No i's nothing. I think I caught something yesterday when we where up the tree,” he coughed softly, “I won't be too much with you today.”

Mee-Na was feeling sad that Yonghwa felt sick because he wanted to entertain her. But sudenly, a smile adorned her face.

You know what? Today, I'll be the one who'll take care of you,” she said, sitting on the edge of the bed.

Mee-Na, that's really nice but don't come too close. I'm probably contagious.”

I don't care. It's just a cold or at worst the flu,” she shrugged, “It never killed anyone. I mean nearly anyone.”

Yonghwa smiled, turning his face to her.

So first, wake up and we'll have breakfast,” she sad, standing up from the bed.

I'm not hungry and I don't want to wake up.”

Uh huh, no argument kid. You have to eat, but you can have it here. I'll bring it to you,” she uttered in a smile.

Before Yonghwa could say anything, Mee-Na was gone. Some minutes later, she came back with a tray, smiling.

Here Yonghwa, sit up.”

Yonghwa did slowly, wiping his nose and Mee-Na put the tray on his legs.

So eat what you can, okay? The most you can, the better you'll feel,” she smiled at him, “I'll take mine in the kitchen. When you're done, join me and we'll see what we can do, alright?”

Mee-Na, I'm not sure I want to move.”

Mee-Na looked at him firmly, using the same firm look Yonghwa used with her, sometimes. Mee-Na left and Yonghwa ate very slowly and very little of the appetizing breakfast she brought him.

30 minutes later, Yonghwa joined her on the living room. He was walmking like a zombie, in his pajamas, sniffing. He didn't even brush his hair.

Oh poor Yonghwa,” Mee-Na said, closing the magazine she was reading, before standing up, “Alright, what can we do that won't be too tiring for you?”

Sleeping?” Yonghwa inquired, slowly.

No...” Mee-Na said, rubbing her chin, thinking, “Well, let's go back to your room,” as she began to walk to the stairs.

What? You want to kill me? I just came downstairs and you want me to go back? I think I'll stay here,” he replied, putting a hand on the top of his couch.

I don't want to kill you. I just think we could go back in your room and watch a movie. You'll be in bed, in a warm place and it's not tiring. So what do you think mister, I'm complaining myself?”

I...I'm not doing that and...tchaa,” Yonghwa sneezed, “Okay, you won.”

Good, let's go.”

Mee-Na helped him to go upstairs slowly. She then went back to the kitchen, taking some fruits to eat during the movie. When she joined Yonghwa, he was already under his covers, shaking a little.

Do you want me to rise the heater? You seem cold,” Mee-Na asked, caring.

No, I'm fine. Thanks.”

So what do you want to watch?”

Hmm I don't know. Jonghyun told me about a movie, Haeundae (Tidal wave). He lent me the DVD. It's right beside the dvd player.”

Okay,” Mee-Na shrugged, “I don't remember if I see it or not.”

Mee-Na put the DVD and sat on the bed, next to Yonghwa, before the film began.

After around 30 minutes, Yonghwa's eyes began to slowly close.

Yonghwa, you're tired. Do you want to stop watching?” Mee-Na asked, putting her hand on Yonghwa's arm tenderly.

No, I'm okay. You can stay,” he smiled at Mee-Na, who nodded.

Yonghwa was warmly wrapping up in his bed. He was enjoying the movie, but he was also discreetly watching Mee-Na. She was eating fruits like she didn't have any breakfast. Yonghwa smiled, finding it really cute the way she was focused on the movie. It seemed like nothing could make her turn her head away from the screen. Well not totally...

After a while, Yonghwa felt very bad. He was shivering, feeling he could have fever. Mee-Na who was close to him, started to feel his movements.

Yonghwa, are you alright?”

No, I'm cold,” he sniffed, “I probably have a fever.”

Mee-Na gently put her hand on Yonghwa's forehead.

No, I don't think so. You're very feverish but that's normal. Um wait, I'll go to make you some tea, alright?”

No Mee-Na, it's ok. Don't go downstairs, it's useless,” he coughed.

I don't think it is. I'll be back in a minute,” as she left, winking at him.

Yonghwa sighed but smiled at the same time. He loved that Mee-Na cared about him.

Less than 10 minutes later, Mee-Na was back in the bedroom.

Here's your t...” as she came in happily.

Mee-Na stopped and smiled, noticing that Yonghwa was asleep. She stared at him for several minutes, smiling to herself. Even if he was sick, with his hair totally a mess and his nose red for having wiped it too much ; she found that something was given off from him.

She put the cup of tea on the bedside table, before coming closer to the bed. She sat on the edge and stared at Yonghwa for an instant. His breath was deep and pretty fast maybe due to his flu. His face was relaxed and he seemed to sleep well.

Suddenly, Mee-Na felt the urge to touch him. She didn't know why. As she was staring at Yonghwa, a strange feeling come over her and she couldn't help it, she had to touch his skin. As she slowly approached her hand to his cheek, she gasped, feeling his warm breath on her hand.

As Yonghwa didn't wake up, she gently put her hand on his cheek and tenderly caressed it.

Hummm...” Yonghwa moaned, moving slowly in his bed, smiling in his sleep.

Mee-Na smiled as she caressed his hair tenderly. She found him so beautiful. Her heart was beating on her chest like it never had before. At this moment, Yonghwa was the most important person for her. He was the only person she really knew.

She slowly leaned in before putting a tender kiss on his warm forehead.

Sleep tight Yonghwa,” she whispered.

Mee-Na began to leave but felt a hand catching her arm. She gasped in surprise and wouldn't dare to turn around, embarrassed. What if Yonghwa felt her soft kiss?

Where do you think you're going?”

Well...I...I,” she stammered, blushing, “I thought you were asleep and...you were, right?” she asked, ill at ease.

Yeah, I guess,” he replied, rubbing his eyes with his free hand, while his other one was still on Mee-Na’s arm.

Oh,” she sighed, relieved, “So, I wanted to let you sleep quietly, that’s all.”

Yeah? Well I’m awake now. So you can come back and watch the end of the movie,” as he turned to the bedside table, “this tea you brought to me is nice,” he smiled.

Alright, here.”

Mee-Na sat next to him, holding him the cup of tea. Shee cleared ; ill at ease from what she did when Brian was asleep.

While Mee-Na was watching the movie, Yonghwa glanced at her, drinking his tea, and smiled tenderly.

She has the softest lips that ever kissed me,” Yonghwa thought to himself smiling.