Prologue: The Calm Before the Storm

Sudden Light
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“She is the untamed. She is the wild. She will come to you like a storm and wash you of your fears. And then when she leaves, you will wonder how you ever hated the rain.”

🌻

The last of the twilight fell below the horizon as the moon symbolizing the beginning of a long night settled into the sky. For this city, the night is not a time to rest but rather an excuse to indulge. The music in the club was deafening to the ears as strangers on the dance floor swayed back and forth exaggeratively in an attempt to release all stress accumulated during the day. 

 

Choi Yoojung sat silently in a secluded corner away from the chaos, her head in her hands. She drank quickly, ignoring the burning sensation that tortured in hopes that the pain would dull the ache she was feeling in her heart. The hair that blocked her usually cheery face cast dark shadows across her features, but she was too tired to care. Yoojung glanced at the scattered bottles around her, enough to form a small mountain, and chuckled rather self-deprecatingly. Normally, she would never allow herself to push past her drinking limit, much less look this disheveled while she was at it. But this isn’t a normal occasion, is it? Plus, she wouldn’t be here to stop her now. 

 

Have you heard? She’s back in Seoul with her fiancé. 

 

Four years she waited with bated breath for a return that tore her heart apart. Hadn’t she also moved on, convincing herself that the warm hands that held her own when he confessed at the entrance of her college dorm room were ones that she could trust? He had looked so nervous, bouncing at the balls of his feet. 

 

Can you give me a chance to bring light back into your life? 

 

The pace of the relationship was slow, as promised. Then, the smile that Yoojung thought would never resurface was back. His love for her is like the ocean that refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it’s sent away. For a while, Yoojung believed that maybe she didn’t need to send him away anymore. 

 

So then, why couldn’t she forget - forget the brown orbs that glistened mischievously after a successful prank (met with three, non-th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter