Resonance

Sudden Light
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Resonance (n) – An echo, a reverberation, an evocation.

🌻

How could one person turn your life around in an instant?

 

Those were the thoughts that plagued Yoojung’s mind as she fled out of the 30-story building and hailed a cab in panic. Rocky’s new text message flashed across her screen, reminding her that she had blatantly lied to her boyfriend several minutes ago.

 

“Take your time,” it read, followed by another message with a smiley face, “I can wait.”   

 

Just two days ago, Yoojung had been offered a job as a graphic designer at one of Korea’s largest magazine companies, Resonance. She had worked hard for the position, laboring away at the company as an intern for two years straight during college. Immediately following her graduation, Yoojung had applied for a full-time position. The welcoming news boosted her dwindling confidence. For a long time, Yoojung was not sure if she could amount to anything other than dancing. She needed a proper job to support herself and her mother – at least that was what her father had said before he left the family. That night, Yoojung had shared the news with several of her close friends and celebrated with Rocky.

 

Just as she was beginning to feel hopeful that there would be some stability in her life, the news of Doyeon’s return sent her into a frenzy. She was not sure what to feel – how to feel, even. Flashes of excitement, fear, and heartache overwhelmed her at once, switching as rapidly as a broken streetlight.

 

Doyeon had kissed her. No – she had kissed her.

 

Of all the ways Yoojung had imagined their reunion, never in her wildest dreams did she conjure up anything so raw and direct. There were moments in their childhood where the two had held hands and shared a bed. Occasionally, Yoojung would annoy a flustered Doyeon with a kiss on the cheek just to see her scrunch up her face in disapproval. Yet, Yoojung had never confessed. In fact, she could not even pinpoint the exact moment that she fell in love with Kim Doyeon. Would it be too cheesy to say that things had never been the same since she first laid eyes on the girl at their high school opening ceremony?

 

It had started as fascination – what it must be like to be the center of attention at all times. Doyeon was popular, but she was just as kind, funny, approachable, and even a bit clumsy. With her around, Yoojung was always a little brighter. Beneath the nagging and soft arm punches lied a companion who encouraged her to be the best version of herself. But unlike Mina and Sohye who offered pep talks that could raise the dead, Doyeon provided silent embraces that instantly made her feel at ease. Yoojung hated to admit just how attached she had gotten to Doyeon over the years, but what terrified her most was the thought that the same dependence was not reciprocated.

 

When had things taken a turn for the worse?

 

Yoojung forced herself to snap out of her thoughts, refusing to open the gate that hid her memories of what happened between them the summer before college started. Thinking about those memories always stirred up her heartache, one that resembled a great orchestra. Sometimes, it was quiet and allowed her to function. Other times, the violins would play and Yoojung would move about her day like a zombie. Occasionally, it would rise to a crescendo and she would be angry with tears. As Yoojung reflected on nostalgic memories of their high school days, she imagined a flute in the background, calming her erratic heart.

-----

Rocky was leaning patiently against a mailbox by the time Yoojung walked up to her house. She had asked the cab driver to drop her off a few blocks away, choosing to utilize the time it took for her to walk to conjure up the best explanation she could give. Rocky’s eyes lit up at the sight of her, and he quickly pulled off his earphones before jogging towards her like a puppy. Yoojung chuckled softly to herself, her gaze warming to the sight of him waiting for her. The fact that he was shifting at the balls of his feet, waiting for her to speak first, reminded Yoojung of the night he confessed. For a moment, she forgot that she has not come up with an excuse yet.

 

Yoojung met him in her sophomore year of college when Mina, who had entered the same university as Yoojung, finally managed to drag her to a dance competition that their school was hosting. Yoojung had avoided dancing since entering college, stating that her new major in graphic design prevented her from having time to do anything else. Mina could only smile empathetically, offering Yoojung a knowing look at the struggles of emerging adulthood. Deep down, Mina knew how much it pained her best friend to give up dancing. It was like giving up oxygen, the vehicle to breathe and live. Yet, this was the decision Yoojung made the summer before they started college, and Mina could not blame her. She still remembered the way tears poured down her friend’s cheeks like water from a dam. She was trembling when Mina pulled her in for a hug, her entire body curled up like an abandoned child, raw from the inside. So, although Mina would occasionally ask Yoojung to watch the dance team compete, she always knew not to push too far. 

 

That night was a special occasion. While Yoojung had taken all that she had in her to steer clear from anything related to dance since starting college, Mina had surprisingly made

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter