CHAPTER 25

Blending In

The five girls are at the clinic for the past 20 minutes, waiting for Hyewon to wake up. Sakura, Yena, and Yujin laughing for the past minutes about how useless their friend is, while Minju scolds them for not being worried.

“Why would we be worried if she’s just being a useless lesbian?” Sakura laughed, wiping a tear from her eye.

“Minju-unnie,” Yujin tries to breathe from all of their laughing, “That stunt you pulled was really something.”

Minju blushed and avoided to look at them, settling her eyes on the still sleeping figure of Hyewon.

“But Minju, seriously,” Chaewon nudged her, “Didn’t know you had it in you.” She teased, laughing with the other three.

Minju could only groan and hide her face. Wake up now Hyewon-ah.

 

///

 

Yujin quietly slips out of her seat after leaving a note to Hyewon. She quickly goes out of the room with the instructor noticing her, and proceeds to the empty classroom that Sakura told her.

Peeking through the small window, she enters the room making the other occupants whip their head to her direction.

“Hey,” Yujin greets them, “Are you sure about the plan?”

Sakura beams at the younger girl and pulled her down to sit, “They planned it, we’re just going to execute it.”

“I’m not sure what would Hyewon-unnie do after the class.” Yujin states, “She’s still sleeping peacefully when I went out.”

“What did you even tell her?” Yena asked, this received a curious nod from the other three.

“I just left a note that I’m in the clinic, not feeling well.” Yujin shrugs.

“Wow,” Chaewon breathes out, “You guys are really good at this.” She then turned her head to Minju.

“Why didn’t we befriend them before?”

“Because we’re in a different department?” Minju questions.

“Don’t worry,” Sakura shrugs, “We’re like not out there in the school so, you wouldn’t really notice us.”

Yena nods, “Kwangbae is much worse, she’s such an introvert. Always living in her own world.”

“We’re her only friends here.” Yujin added, “She’s like seriously off the radar.”

“Minju always has a thing for mysterious people.” Chaewon said.

This made the said girl blush and slapped Chaewon on the arm, “I do not!”

“Don’t worry,” Yena laughs, “Kwangbae really gives off that vibe.”

“She could be philosophical at times.” Yujin chimed in.

“Right,” Chaewon nodded, “Minju told me one time that Hyewon always give her some deep talk – “

“Chaewon!” Minju exclaims, making the other four girls laugh.

“You guys are the worst.” Minju pouts.

“And we’re the ones who are going to help live your happily ever after.” Sakura points out.

“Live with it.” Chaewon said and fist bumped with the Japanese girl.

Yujin smiled and patted Minju’s arm as support, “Anyways, the plan. How can we do it? In the cafeteria?”

“So, basically Taeyong would surely approach Minju at the cafeteria.” Chaewon started, “Minju would do all the work, rejecting him in front of everyone.”

“What are we going to do?” Yujin asks.

“We’re going to kick his when needed.” Yena stated with a smug face.

“And Hyewon-unnie?”

“Right,” Sakura added, “She needs to be there to see the scene.”

Yujin looks at Minju with a frown, the girl returns her look and just shrugs her shoulders. Obviously unsure if the plan is going to work. Yujin then felt her phone vibrate and pulled it out from her pocket.

Saw your note. Are you alright? Do you need me to go there? – Hyewon

“It’s from Hyewon-unnie.” Yujin announced and showed them the message, “What should I reply?”

“Tell her to just see each other at the cafeteria.” Chaewon quickly said and Yujin followed, adding her own dash of script on the message.

I’m going to be, don’t worry unnie. See you in the cafeteria? - Yujin

I’m thinking to stop by the library first, but sure I’ll see you after I go there. – Hyewon

Yujin widened her eyes and showed them the reply, “What should we do?”

“Kwangbae always lose track of time when she’s at the library.” Yena pointed out.

“Well, let’s go there.” Sakura suggested.

“What?” The other four girls asked.

“Let’s talk to the librarian.”

“Right!” Yujin beams, “Irene-unnie knows what’s happening with Hyewon-unnie. We can get her into this plan.”

“She’s kind of close to her, don’t you think?” Minju muttered, not sure if it is right to involve the librarian.

Yujin smirks at the girl, “Unnie don’t worry, they’re just close because of Hyewon-unnie’s crush to you.”

“Stop your jealous Minju, we need to get her help.” Chaewon said as she stands up, pulling Minju up with her. “Now, come on and we’ll get you your Romeo.”

“Or Juliette.” Yena adds.

“Right, whatever you prefer.” Chaewon smirks and pulled her best friend out of the room following Yujin in front while the other two are behind them.

Minju could just groan out loud, now having second thoughts if it is right to have Chaewon befriending Hyewon’s friends – because it seems like they are getting along so well, that she would die out of embarrassment and out of all teasing. This better be worth it.

//

As the five girls enter the library, they immediately caught the attention of Irene, who looked at the weirdly. She did not expect to see Yujin and her friends to enter the library without Hyewon – instead they are with Minju and her best friend.

“Hey, this is new.” Irene smiled, staring at the weird group of friends.

“Unnie, can you help us?” Yujin said, and Irene wanted to ask but seeing the pitying look on the younger girl’s eyes, and flitting her gaze to the others. It seems like they would not take ‘no’ as an answer.

Sighing, “Okay, what is it about?”

“It’s about Hyewon.” Sakura said.

“And Minju.” Irene looked at Chaewon who pointed at her best friend. Minju just smiled awkwardly.

Irene smirked at this, “This should be interesting.”

And Irene listened to the five girls and their weird and ridiculous plan. She thought it would be interesting, but she didn’t expect for it to be this interesting. After hearing the plan, Irene let herself processed all the information and actions she needs to do.

“So, I’ll just need to ask Hyewon to go to the cafeteria with me,” Irene clarified which earns a nod from the other girls, “And you’d pick up from there?”

“Yes, unnie.”

“And how are you so sure that this plan will work?” Irene frowns.

“We hope.” Yujin deadpanned.

“Hope.” Irene laughed out, “I’m helping you because Hyewon became a really special friend of mine, as much as unexpected that is. So, this plan better be good, alright?” Irene said this, while staring at Minju.

The latter gulped and nodded her head, “We’ll make it work.”

“That’s not convincing enough Minju.” Irene smiled, “But it will do.”

“Guys, we need to go now. Our class is about to finish.” Yujin said and quickly walks out of the library not without bowing to the librarian. The other girls followed her and Irene just blinked her eyes.

“Are they cutting?” Irene asked no one.

/

The five of them arrived in the cafeteria – already with a few students in their own table, Sakura immediately walked over to their own table and sat down. Yena followed suit and looked around to look for a certain guy.

“He’s not here yet?” Yujin asked.

“Nope,” Yena scans the room, “No douchebag yet.”

Sakura then turns to look at the other two girls, “You good there?”

Minju nodded, “I just hope this would like take him off my back.”

“Don’t worry, if he won’t,” Chaewon trailed off, “We’ll do it in the harder way.”

“There’s something harder than this?” Yujin looked surprise.

“Duh,” Chaewon rolled her eyes, “I’ve thought about 100 ways to insult him in just 2 minutes.”

“I like her.” Yena declared, offering her hand, “Let’s be friends.”

Chaewon smirked, “Gladly.”

Students started to enter the cafeteria one by one, making it much more crowded, murmurs filling out the room. All of them aware that in a moment, Taeyong would be there. Yujin checked her phone and turned to her friends.

“Hyewon-unnie is at the library now.” Yujin announced.

The other four nodded, and Yena turned to look at the entrance, “He’s here.” She whispered.

“And he’s walking over here, .” Yujin panicked and avoided the guy’s eyes. , damn he’s annoying and he’s not even doing anything.

Minju gulped and just like what the two said, she suddenly felt a presence and she couldn’t help but to feel annoyed as soon as she felt it.

“Hey Minju.” Taeyong greeted, “Did you miss me?”

All the students started to looking, finally seeing the main topic of the rumor since the start of the week. The girls could see that Taeyong is enjoying the attention that he is receiving. Minju felt a nudge coming from her best friend as Chaewon nodded. I can do this.

“No, Taeyong. Why would I even miss you?” Minju said, loud enough for the few students to hear them.

Taeyong’s eye twitched, obviously surprised by the unexpected answer. “What are you saying?” He said lowly.

“I thought we’ve talked about this.”

Minju scoffed at the pathetic guy, “We? What are you even talking about? There is never a ‘we’ here.”

A series of ‘ooh’ were heard in the cafeteria, and Minju could not help but to smile smugly. She saw how Taeyong’s face faltered, she then glanced at the girls beside her and nodded their heads.

“I’ve rejected you a million of times,” Minju continued, “But you couldn’t even accept my answer.”

“Come on,” Taeyong chuckled nervously, “You’re just stressed out.” He said and pulled the girl forcefully. This made the other four quickly stand up from their table, about to throw hands when Minju pushed away the guy.

“What the hell are you doing?” She exclaimed, “We are not dating! You just spread that false rumor, because you’re too butthurt to accept that you are not my type.” Minju shouts, and gasps were heard.

Taeyong glares at the girl and was about to talk when he was interrupted by some random guy.

“So, you are single?” He asked walking over to the two, “That means we could still date?”

Alright, this is the thing that they are not expecting. Minju panicked and looked back only to be greeted by the same panicked look her friends are sporting.

“No – “

“Do I have a chance then?” Some random guy which seems to be from her same department talked. “I’ve been asking you out since last month.”

“I’ve been asking her out since last three months,” Another guy announced.

“Guys, please of course Minju would give me a chance since I’ve been helping her since the start of this term.”

Minju stared at the guy, and she is sure that she doesn’t know who the hell that guy is. Yujin quickly typed a message to Irene to not come to the cafeteria. Receiving a message from Hyewon they started to panic.

“Minju, let’s get out of here and talk like a mature couple.” Taeyong gritted his teeth and pulled the girl away, and that was the last straw. It irked Minju so much that the guy is still forcing himself. Add those other guys thinking that they have a chance. I’ve had enough.

“Let go!” She shouts, “Stop saying that we’re a couple!”

As if on cue, new people entered the cafeteria. Hyewon and Irene, staring at the scene in front of them. Minju looked at the art student who is obviously confused by what is happening.

As Hyewon was about ask what is happening, Minju started to release her frustrations to the guys surrounding her – to her position in general.

“You are not my type!” Minju shouts in the middle of the cafeteria.

“You are also not my type.” She said pointing to one guy beside Taeyong. I don’t like you just because I talked to you once.

Then pointing to another, “You’re too noisy.” I’ve been rejecting you for months why are you still trying?

Then to another, “You’re to self-pretentious, you’re better off with Taeyong.” I don’t even remember when you helped me.

Minju doesn’t know what she is doing, there are just too much emotions inside her and she just wants this drama to end. Which is how she saw herself pointing at Hyewon, “You.”

Confused, Hyewon stepped back, “Me?”

“You.” Minju repeated still staring at her, “I’d date you.”

Silent gasps were heard, but Minju did not care even a bit. She immediately walked away from the guys surrounding her, only one thing inside her mind. One thing she wants to do at the moment. As she is only one step away from the stunned Hyewon, she grabbed the girl by her neck and softly pulled her forward.

Finally, Minju kissed the art student. She heard gasps; murmurs started to fill again the room but she did not even care one bit. She managed to kiss the girl, and she is relishing the softness of Hyewon’s lips. Why did she even wait for the drama when she could have this much earlier?

Pulling away, Minju breathes out and smiled softly. She could see Hyewon blinking at her.

“What the – “

Not letting her finish, “I’d date you.” Minju whispers.

“I like you, Kang Hyewon.” And finally, she could breathe so much better. All the emotional baggage that this art student makes her feel, all the fluttering feelings, the butterflies, the quick and skips of her heartbeats. Finally, she said it to her.

But what she did not expect is to catch the fainting body of Hyewon, she thought that after confessing she would hear the girl say the same words. Not this. What the hell did I just do?

 

///

 

The girls heard some groaning, and saw Hyewon slightly moving from the bed. Minju quickly stood up and the nurse went to beside the waking student.

“We’re just going to get some food.” Chaewon said and pulled out the other girls out, obviously giving time to Hyewon and Minju.

Hyewon opens her eyes slowly, adjusting to the light only to stare at some unfamiliar eyes. She then noticed that it was the campus nurse, which means that she is in their clinic. What happened, why am I –

She then noticed another girl standing beside the nurse and realized it was Minju. Then as if something clicked inside her, she remembers all the things that happened starting from when she entered the cafeteria.

“Do you feel nauseous?” She heard the nurse asked, and Hyewon quickly shook her head.

“That’s great,” The nurse smiled, “You’re just stressed and you’ve been skipping meals. You need to get more rest, alright?”

Hyewon just nodded, not uttering any word.

“I’ll leave you two then.” The nurse smiled softly, and nodded her head to Minju as she walks out of the clinic.

Hyewon avoided the girl’s eyes, not exactly believing her mind from the hazy memories earlier.

“Hey, are you good?” Minju asked softly.

“Yeah, I just need to,” Hyewon accidentally looked at the girl and diverted her gaze to her hands, “Rest.”

“Do you remember what happened?”

Hyewon flinched at the question, of course she does. What the did actually happen, she could not comprehend anything at the moment.

“I, yeah.” She breathes out, “Why?”

Minju gulped, “What do you mean ‘why’?”

“Why did you do that?” Hyewon frowns, “Don’t you have a boyfrie – “

“No!” Minju exclaimed and closed her eyes for her sudden outburst. “Taeyong spread some false rumor about us.”

“What?”

“I’ve been rejecting him, but he spread some rumor about us being together,” Minju explained, “I was surprised too.”

“But, I saw you guys that day.” Hyewon frowns, not entirely sure what to believe.

“It was just supposed to be a hang out,” Minju points out, “I never expected for him to use it against me.”

Hyewon was surprised with the revelation, and suddenly feels sorry for the girl in front of her. And you’ve been avoiding her like a plague.

“Sorry.” She mutters out.

“It doesn’t matter anymore.” Minju smiles, and took a seat beside Hyewon, “I love your painting by the way.”

Hyewon’s eyes widened with the sudden proclamation, and chuckles nervously at the girl. “You’ve seen it?”

“Yeah.” Minju smiled.

“How did you kno – “

“I saw the engraving in the bracelet you gave me,” She showed her wrist, “Ab imo pectore.”

“Right,” Hyewon rolled her eyes at herself, “Of course.” What. An. Idiot.

Silence then consumed the both of them, not knowing what to say. Minju cannot utter any word anymore, so she decided to call the others.

“I’ll just look for your friends,” Minju said standing up, “They just bought some foods.”

Hyewon noticed her eyes looking sad, and she wants to smack herself for being too useless at this time. Just ing wing it.

Without thinking, she grabbed Minju’s wrist to prevent her from going which surprised the latter. Hyewon breathes out and gulped.

“Did you mean it?” She asked.

“What are – “

“In the cafeteria,” Hyewon clarifies, “Did you mean all that?”

“Yeah,” Minju breathes out, “Of course.”

Then a sudden burst of courage went through Hyewon and smiled.

“Then I can do this.”

“Wha – “

Minju did not manage to finish her question as she was pulled down by Hyewon and suddenly, soft lips were on hers. She saw Hyewon closing her eyes, and getting out from her shock, Minju kissed back the girl.

The kiss in the cafeteria was good, alright. But Hyewon was too shocked to do something, but right now, having the art student kissing her – it feels like she is indeed in a cloud nine. Minju did not even hesitate to wrap her arms around the girl’s neck, making the kiss deeper.

Hyewon smiled into the kiss and wrapped her arms around Minju’s waist, pulling her into the bed. She didn’t know that she needed to do this – if she knew kissing Minju would be like this, then she would have kissed the girl much earlier.

So now, Minju was straddling Hyewon in the bed, at the clinic. All in their own world, until oxygen is needed by the two – which actually .

Breathing out heavily, the two could not contain their smiles, leaning their foreheads to each other.

“I like you, Kim Minju.” Hyewon whispers.

Minju chuckles and brushed her nose to girl, “About time.”

Just like that, they kissed each other again until they heard the door opening and loud voices.

“Okay!” Yena shouts in her own husky voice, “We’ve given you enough time, stop kissing!”

“Oh my god Minju, you’re straddling her!” Chaewon exclaimed.

“Kang-chan, you guys are still in the university!”

“Unnie! Not safe for work! Please, my eyes! My innocence!” Yujin dramatically says.

The two did not even bother to move from their position as they laugh at their friends, Hyewon then looked at Minju who quickly turns to her.

“When did that friendship happen?”

Minju just chuckles nervously, “Just yesterday.”

“What?”

“Because unlike you,” Yena started, “Minju is not as useless and decided to put matters in her own hands.”

“Right, you useless lesbian.” Sakura teased, “Here’s your sandwich, but it seems like you’re already full from your meal.” She suggestively said.

Hyewon quickly threw a pillow at their direction, “ off.”

“Minju, the nurse is about to come soon and you seriously need to stop straddling Hyewon.” Chaewon deadpanned, Minju quickly blushed and got off the bed. Hyewon chuckled earning a smack from the girl.

“You guys can do your thing at your apartment,” Yujin said grabbing her things, “So, let’s all go home now cause I’m so tired from this drama.”

 

//

 

So, that’s how Hyewon and Minju saw themselves inside the latter’s apartment. Hyewon awkwardly sitting on the couch as she waits for Minju to change clothes.

She then pulled out her phone as she felt it vibrate.

Don’t do something disgusting.

  • Sakura

At least, take her out on a date first.

  • Sakura

Right, a date. Right. No funny thing, date first.

“Hey, you sure you’re good?”

Hyewon slightly jumped from her position and looked beside her only to see Minju looking at her weirdly.

“Yeah, yeah.” Hyewon answered seemingly out of breath, “Good. Perfect. Wonderful.”

Then an awkward silence consumed them like before. Hyewon is confused where her courage from earlier came from, and it is much needed now.

A beat.

“Can I take you out on a date?” Hyewon blurted out, making Minju look at her with surprise etched on her face.

“A date?” Minju asks.

“Yeah,” Hyewon mumbled, “I mean if you like, I’m not forcing you. You can reject it if you want, you’re not pressu – “

Minju pulled the girl and kissed her right then and there, successfully making the rambling girl to shut up. As if they’ve been doing it for a million times, Hyewon naturally melted into the girl’s body and wrapped her arms around Minju’s waist.

Pulling away, Minju smiled softly at Hyewon who slowly opened her eyes.

“I’d love to.” Minju answers, “You’re cute when your rambling.”

Hyewon blushed and avoided the look, “You make me nervous.” She mumbled under her breath.

“Yeah?” Minju asks with a tone, “That’s great to hear.”

“Can I kiss you again?” Hyewon shyly asked.

“You don’t have to ask.”

With that said, Hyewon pulled the girl and captured her lips. As much as how much she hated herself for wasting time, she feels like it is all worth it especially if this is what she would always get.

And so, maybe she decided to stay until late night in Minju’s apartment, the both of them deciding to order some take outs as they watch some sappy movies. But it was ignored most of the time, as they are so into their own world – with stolen kisses here and there, cuddling, giggling. They would bet that if their friends see them like that, they would be disgusted.

“So, when’s the date? Minju asked, as she kissed Hyewon cheeks.

Hyewon frowned and thought about it, “I’ll tell you a heads up.”

“Is it something formal?”

“Nope,” Hyewon smiled and kissed Minju’s lips softly. “Just something casual.”