2. The Awards Ceremony

The Executioner

The next day...

A crowd had gathered at a popular stream, near the outskirts of the Capital. There was a slight ripple of panic as they observed the figure which lay partially submerged in the water. Questions, comments and general murmurs could be heard, as the Magistrate and his men approached the figure.

"Omo! What do we do?"

"That's a dead girl!"

"Our daughters are no longer safe!"

The Magistrate crouched beside the body of the dead girl. From the rich, colorful hanbok she wore, to the beautiful hairpins glittering close to her temple... Lee Gwan Sul, the Magistrate, could already tell this was trouble.

The previous night, the Minister of interior had raised alarm over his daughter who was suddenly not at home, and a search had begun around the Capital, almost all through the night.

They had found nothing.

Until now...

.
.

Meanwhile, at the heart of the Capital,

The Yoon Household was a popular topic of conversation and gossip!

It was usually:

"Yoon Daegam (Lord Yoon) has never allowed a single woman around his son!"

"Really?!"

"Ye! Even the house servants are all men!" A general shudder, like the thought of that was something dirty...

Or...

"Ah! Did you hear? Yoon Doryeonim (young master Yoon) came top in the State exam!"

"Wah! For five generations, the Yoons have won the Best Scholar!"

"Ye ye. But is the next generation safe? The Young man's face is always in a book, and he is not allowed around women... Won't the Yoon bloodline die with him?"

"Aigoo..." General sighs all round...

Or...

"Omo! Did you see Yoon Doryeonim?!"

"Why? Did you see him?!"

"Ani. But I saw his profile from afar!"

"Wow! He came out?!"

"Ye! He was walking and reading. His guard was clearing people out of his way, so he could read even while walking."

"Wow! He's so brilliant! I'm asking  Abeoji (Father) to send in another marriage proposal."

All the girls around eyed her.

"Sorry." Another girl said cooly. "Abeoji already sent a marriage proposal for me..."

...

So basically, 'Yoon Doryeonim', or rather Yoon Dae Woo, was the secluded, intelligent, mysterious only son of the prestigious Yoon Household...

A family known for being favourites of the King. A family of brilliant scholars who usually always had an answer in times of crisis.

Yoon Dae Woo was constantly praised by all the elites for his brilliance, and there was no doubt that he would become the next Chief Scholar, a position currently held by his father.

He was coveted by all the young maidens, though only two or three had seen his face!

And that was why this year's state exam award ceremony was a big deal!

Many of the Noble young Ladies had brothers or cousins who had taken the exam, so they came for the event, dressed a little too well!

They would finally get to see Yoon Doryeonim!

.

"Dae Woo-ah." His father addressed him that morning. "I hear that there is a certain level of chaos concerning you... The ladies are attending this event to see you and possibly marry you... You must remain focused."

"Ye, Abeoji. I have no interest in Women." The boy replied without hesitation. He didn't even look up from his book.

"Please let it remain that way. Remember what I've told you."

"Ye, Abeoji." He replied, this time with a slight bow.

His father smiled at him. He had raised his son well...

.
.

The Award Ceremony was held every three years at CheonGang Palace... The Central Palace of CheonYeoreum (The Kingdom).

At the Palace, Jung Ha Na was helped out of the palanquin by her harried maid, Soo Ha.

"Agashi. I really will be flogged today, if anything goes wrong... Please please please..." She begged, her putting her two hands together. "Please don't do anything Daegam would not like!"

"Ya, gijibae. Have I ever allowed Abeoji give you a beating?" Ha Na walked confidently in front of her, barely listening. "It's game over once I collapse. He will do anything for me."

"Agashi! You shouldn't take advantage of your father's love! Can't you just be a normal lady?" Soo Ha, her maid, whispered exasperatedly.

"Where's the fun in that?" Ha Na asked, frowning slightly, but didn't break step.

She walked very elegantly, and knew how to control her emotions to a fault. People often praised her manners, gait and grace, saying she was fit to live in the palace...

Well what did they expect?

Gisaengs were trained rigorously to carry themselves with extreme grace, speak perfectly, never show what they were thinking, and display impeccable manners...

She was willing to bet they were trained way more rigorously than any princess.

Then again, people weren't expected to know about the years she had spent in the gyobang... Her father had sworn everyone who knew to secrecy, and had deliberately started rumors that she had been found in the Western Province.

"Agashi, your name tag." Soo Ha said, drawing her attention, and Ha Na pulled out a little wooden plaque. At the top of the plaque was the Prime Minister's emblem, and underneath this, 'Jung Ha Na' was written in bold Shin letters.

One glance at this, and the Head guard escorted her and her maid personally to the places reserved for them in the palace...

.

When the Royal Family arrived, the award ceremony finally started. There were customary bows to welcome each family member, as they went to their seats, and finally to welcome the King.

That was one Queen, two Concubines, six Princes, four princesses, and a few side members, like the King's brother, and his children.

Four of the Princes and two of the Princesses were born by the Queen, and Ha Na found herself craning her neck to see just how beautiful she was!

Historically, most of the Queens had only one or two children, because most of the Kings preferred the company of their concubines...

So if this King had kept going back to bed his wife, the Queen, then she must be a legendary beauty!

When the ceremony began properly, Ha Na zoned out completely... It was boring!

There was first a lengthy - and quite frankly, unnecessary - speech, before the Award proper began.

Then the nobles who had sponsored any of the awardees who weren't from noble families, had come out, and had been specially praised by the King.

Of course they were only about five... Noble families were generally not generous to non nobles.

After this, the Award proper began...

A name was called.

Someone came out.

He collected a scroll amidst cheers and applause.

He bowed and left the podium.

Ha Na began the subconscious art of admiring the few men that climbed the raised platform. One of the things she had been expected to learn at the gyobang, was finding the charm in every man. That way, it would be easy to deceive him that you actually liked him!

Now, she assessed each of them with ease...

Tall. Short, but extremely rich. Chubby but adorable. Tall and slim. Well built. Smiled a lot.

The well built men were the ones receiving military awards...

Overall best in combat practices, First, second and third. Then best in Archery. Best Swordsman. Best Horseback fighter... Et cetera.

The slim, fat and lanky ones were mostly for the scholarly awards. The second and third place for best scholar, about eight others for field or general research scholars...

So many different qualities! And she could only pick one eventually...

Ha Na sighed a bit sadly, casting down her gaze... Even appraising the men had become boring, and for the first time, a thought occurred to her that she may have eventually gotten tired of being a gisaeng...

There was sudden unrest and murmuring as a name was called.

"Yoon Dae Woo. First Place, Overall Best Scholar! Ha Na raised her head, wondering what the ruckus was about...

Time seemed to slow down.

Ha Na's eyes widened as he stepped unto the raised platform.

This was-!

This was the most beautiful man she had ever seen!

"Omo." She exclaimed without realizing it.

"Agashi, aren't you thankful for being a noble now?" Soo Ha whispered, eyeing him dreamily. "That is Yoon Doryeonnim. Son of the Chief Scholar. If you were a gisaeng, such perfection would be far out of your reach!"

"Nonsense." Ha Na whispered back, her eyes never leaving him. Her expression didn't change either... It was too innocent for what she was saying. "He would be within my reach at night. I would be able to have him whenever he comes to the-."

"Agashi! Please stop saying improper things!"

"What? It's the truth... Sang Ma-Nim told us many times. Almost every nobleman in the Capital has two wives... An honorable one at home, and an interesting one at the gyobang!"

"Agashi, please!" Soo Ha whispered furiously. "Control your words! Besides, this one is different! He is never around women! Even his servants are men!"

"No way! Does he prefer men?!"

Agashi!" Soo Ha looked around furtively. Ha Na's voice had been a bit louder than a whisper, but thankfully, no one had heard. "Please look away from him now... You've stared long enough. Daegam will be angry if he notices you staring for so long! You know he wants you to marry one of the Princes!"

"I don't want to!" Ha Na replied automatically, her eyes still fixed on him.

He was smiling now, and Ha Na felt her heart begin to beat just a little faster.

He was being announced as the son of the Chief Scholar, and he shook hands with his father, who had been handing out the awards, then he collected his red scholar card, then...

He turned toward the cheering crowd for a moment, and as if designed by the Heavens, their eyes met.

Ha Na's eyes widened, and she felt heat suddenly rise to her face. She looked sharply away.

"Uh? Agashi, are you okay?" Soo Ha asked, studying her.

"Ah, ye. I dropped something." She looked around in pretense, then looked back up at the raised dais. He was gone now, and she sighed in disappointment...

But she was pleased to find his face was still imprinted in her memory...

.
.