5. The Other Mother

The Executioner

Yoon Dae Woo forced himself into a kneeling position when his father entered the chamber.

"Joesonghamnida, Abeoji." He bowed slightly, grasping his side. Fresh blood had began to flow out, and he keeled over sideways, falling to the floor.

"How could you be so careless?!" Yoon Do Hyuk demanded in a harsh whisper. "'Escape, but never get injured.' This is the first rule I taught you since you were little!"

"Joesonghamni-." Dae Woo tried to force out another apology, but lost consciousness again.

...

Two Hours Later...

Dae Woo jerked awake as something sharp filled his nostrils. He tried to sit upright, a hand held him down.

"Stay still!" He heard the commanding voice of his father, and he relaxed a little. Another man seemed to be putting finishing touches on rings of fabric that had been wrapped around him to bandage the wound on his side.

"Drink this." The man said, handing him a bowl of unappealing brown liquid. His father helped him sit up and drink the potion. He was surprised to find he couldn't taste anything, and his surprise must have shown, because the man started explaining.

"You've been unconscious for two hours, and I've given you three concoctions to drink at intervals. One will clot your blood and make it thick for most of today so you won't bleed... However, avoid the sun, or it would not work." He took the bowl from Dae Woo when he was done.

The second one will reduce pain temporarily, but while it lasts, you can't taste anything, and the last one you just drank will give you strength and stop you from losing consciousness. I forced you awake, because you need to be awake for it to work. And besides..." He looked at Lord Yoon who had held up a hand.

"I'll explain things to him after you've left."

"Ye, Daegam. I'll take my leave now."

He and Cho Yang packed up his things into a pouchy sack. They tied it to his belly, and then wore an expensive looking jeogori (jacket) over it. Over this, they threw on an equally expensive dopo (long overcoat), and a dapho (long outer vest). They tied all this in place elegantly, then they dusted some white powder on his hair and beard, before redoing his hair up in a neat Sangtu (top-knot)...

All this had taken a mere few minutes!

And by the time they were done, Dae Woo was no longer staring at a lean man, who looked more than ten years younger than his father, but at a roundish, port-bellied man, that seemed way older.

He kept staring in awe as they were leaving.

"Aheummmm!" His father cleared his throat, drawing his attention back. "Jeonha knows one of the assassins that broke into the Palace was fatally wounded... Asides from placing wanted drawings around the Capital, a second order came out."

"They are going to search every household for an injured person!" Dae Woo said in realization.

"Ye. Not just households, but every building, and even passing men. Either way, you cannot be found in bed. As a courtesy, they are searching Noble households last, but it's not just the Palace guards, but the entire Capital Force as well. So they are moving quickly."

He stood up, then helped Dae Woo up as well.

"I want you to dress impressively, and go reading around town as usual. They will be expecting a sick person, so they may not bother to check you. You drank the blood clotting concoction, so your wound shouldn't bleed, but wear a deep red dapho (long outer vest) just in case."

"Ye, Abeoji."

"The second concoction does not fully remove the pain, so take it easy. However, I don't need to remind you that if you're caught, that person cannot protect this family, right? Do whatever you must to avoid being caught."

"Ye Abeoji."

He turned to the Kitchen Head Servant, who had been quietly waiting all this time.

"Jong-ah? Help him change, then call Man Dok and the others."

"Ye, Daegam.

...
...

The Prime Minister's Residence, That Morning...

Dawn was a busy time for most Noble households.... And by most Noble households, it means the servants!

They put away the bedding of their Masters and Mistresses, young and old.

They helped them change and bath in tubs filled with scented water, dressed them again in something elegant, and made up their hair in a style which would fit the events of the day.

A neat Sangtu for the men, usually finished with their official hats, or magnificent gats (Wide-brimmed black hats worn by nobles) for non-officials.

Simple braids for the young unmarried maidens finished with a simple red ribbon, and more elaborate hairstyles for the Married women, all amidst glittering and ornate hair pins and clips!

Everything worn the previous day was to be laundered.

Shoes were to be mended.

The compound and every hanok in it was cleaned.

The gardens neatly swept and pruned.

The second Head Servant, usually a woman, would personally oversee the making of breakfast, and even the acquisition of foodstuff and ingredients... Not just any fruits could make it into the household!

The Overall Head Servant, a man, made sure everything was run flawlessly, so the hustle and bustle of the servants were not a hindrance to the household nobles in anyway...

.

In some households, however...

There were those who simply made it impossible for their servants to carry on their daily duties in peace...

"What's this?" Jung Ha Na looked down at the meal that had been arranged before her. "Aaaah, you can't possibly..." She added at the confused look on the Kitchen girl's face. She stood up, ignoring the suspicious look Soo Ha was giving her.

"You see, I met my future husband yesterday, so I'm in a REALLY, really good mood today... I want a very elaborate meal... Uh?"

"Ye, Agashi." The girl left to give the message to the kitchen.

"Agashi? What husband? No way... You don't mean Yoon Doryeonnim?! Daegam wants you to marry one of the Princ-!"

"Soo Ha-Ah? I have an errand for you." She cut in.

"I refuse! Daegam said I shouldn't leave you alone!"

"Ya! I just asked for an elaborate breakfast, because I'm happy. Even if Abeoji won't let me marry him, I'm still excited after meeting Yoon Doryeonnim yesterday... Where will I go without eating it?"

"Ah- Tha-- That is-."

"Heissss. Stop being so suspicious. Go and tell Head servant I want my room re-decorated. New wall paintings and flowers. I feel so hopeful after yesterday!" She twirled, the very picture of delight.

Soo Ha didn't want to believe her, but it was so convincing! Plus, Ha Na HAD seemed flustered after seeing Yoon Doryeonnim the previous day...

"I understand." Soo Ha bowed, leaving Ha Na alone.

At last.

"Tsk tsk tsk... If I'm actually that hopelessly in love, shouldn't I be too excited to eat? Idiot." She didn't love Yoon Doryeonnim, but he was the perfect person to marry!

Her father might want her to marry a Prince, but it would be game over, if she and Yoon Doryeonnim were caught in 'that kind of situation'...

.

A little later, Soo Ha returned to find an empty room, of course. 

A piece of parchment bore the words in bad handwriting: "Thanks! The food is for you, so feel free to share with the others!"

"AGASHI!!!!!!"

.

Meanwhile, Ha Na had arrived at a somewhat discreet location....

The Gyobang!

The one place her father constantly asked her to avoid...

Her face was hidden behind an intricate, gold-lined fan she held, as she looked around to ensure that she hadn't been followed. Then she slipped into the tiny, barely noticeable, gate.

"He he!" She grinned in relief, and was about to enter a bigger, inner gate, when three girls blocked her way.

"Ya. Agashi... Are you lost? We can't allow you in here... Sorry." They folded their arms, giving her condescending looks.

Sae Eun scowled, but stood her ground. She pulled herself up to her full height, which wasn't very tall.

"Do you have any idea who I am?" She asked. "Let me in this instant!"

They took in her noble clothing. Though it looked like it had been worn in a hurry, it was of the highest quality. They scoffed.

"Wow, do you have any idea where this is, Agashi? You might bring dishonor on your family if you enter... It's not the type of place you should come to..."

"Ya, do you want to die?" She was suddenly not speaking politely again. "I know this place like the back of my hands, which is why I'm asking to pass nicely!" Her voice dropped as she took menacing steps toward them. "Before I replace your face powders with Snake skin powder!"

"Omo, So scary!" The one in the middle exclaimed in fear, putting her hands to her chest. But the other two were staring at Ha Na in shock.

Only one person had ever used that threat.

"Sang Ha Na?!" They chorused.

"Hi..."

...

"Ha Na-ah!" Sang Ma-Nim had embraced Ha Na without realizing it... "Have you been eating well? Did anybody mistreat you? What are you doing here?" Then she caught herself and pushed her away.

"Aheumm. What are you doing here, Agashi?" She asked with a slight bow.

Ha Na laughed. "Ya, Omma (mother), why are you always like this? I told you to choose one. Hug me or push me away."

"Eishhh, this bad girl!" She rose a hand threateningly. "Just because I'm used to embracing you doesn't mean I'm not happy you got taken away. You kept sneaking here two years ago, but I'll tell you the same thing I told you then... This place is not for you!"

"Tch! Then why did you teach me..." Ha Na mumbled under her breath, but Sang Ae Ran heard her.

"Because I didn't know any better." She was serious now, as she took Ha Na's hand. "Fate suddenly gave me a precious child who didn't shy away from what I was... I was born in this Gyobang, so I was simply teaching someone precious, the only way I knew to survive. And it made me both proud and amused that even without my guidance, you were determined to become the best of the best!

"But when I found out who you were, I was even happier. Because it meant you won't live like me..." She dropped Ha Na's hand and stepped back, her expression now cold. "So throw away that illusion that you would be forever happy with the color, music and variety that this place holds. You will get tired of selling your smiles eventually! And it will be too late then...

"This is something I was going to explain clearly before your debut. You were not born here, and you were not demoted to slave status, so you would have been able to walk away. Luckily your fate was never here to begin with."

There was a short silence.

Then Ha Na closed the distance between them, wrapping her arms around the only person she actually remembered as her mother.

"Thank You, Omma."

"Ya! Three Ministers are coming this evening! How can you squeeze my hanbok?" Sang Ae Ran tried to shake her off, but she squeezed even tighter.

"Tch! You won't be caught dead in this hanbok. I know you're still going to prepare... I still think you're looking down on my resolve, and I'm not saying I prefer my current life, but Thank you for having me in your heart, Omma."

"Aigoo!" Sang Ae Ran hit her lightly, but had stopped trying to break the hug. "You went and learnt how to talk."

And the two remained hugging each other for a while.

"Omma?" Ha Na broke the silence.

"Ye?"

"I came to ask how to seduce a certain man."

"This girl!!!"