Broken Promises

A Gift
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was afternoon and Seulgi was just lying comfortably on their couch, watching the television while eating some fruits as her dessert. She just finished her lunch a while ago after the long meeting she had with her client in the morning. It was a bit stressful morning as her client earlier was too difficult to handle and had an attitude. Those kinds of clients aren’t new to her, but she still finds them irritating sometimes. But, of course, she will remain calm and professional in front of them.

She was enjoying watching her favorite show when she felt her phone buzz and lit up, revealing a text message she had received from Sunmi. She said that she had just got back from the states the other day and asked if she was free to meet up today. Seulgi got so excited about it, since she hadn’t seen Sunmi for a year now and she missed her. Right after she sent her a reply to say that she’s available today, she suddenly remembered what Joohyun just said the other night. She might come back home anytime this week. It made her wonder if she’d meet up with Sunmi or not, but she had already said yes, and she thought that it might be rude if she’d take that back.

 

On the other hand, Joohyun was already on her way to their condo. She takes a look at her wristwatch; it’s still three in the afternoon, and there’s still an hour before she arrives.

She wondered if Seulgi was at home right now or if she’s still working. She wanted to send her a message and ask, but she decided to surprise her partner. Seulgi will be surprised anyway, either if she’s currently at home or not yet.

And Joohyun could’ve arrived by now, if only she hadn’t asked her father’s driver to go somewhere first before they left Daegu. She thought that it wouldn’t be that much exciting if she’d go home without anything for Seulgi, so she went to the mall first to buy something for her girlfriend. And there, she saw a cute bunny and bear stuffed toy that was displayed in front of a gift shop. They are not those typical big stuffed toys, but they’re still huggable since they are so soft and fluffy. She bought them right away as she thought it was a perfect gift since it perfectly resembles her and Seulgi.

 

--

 

“Babe, I’m ho—”

Joohyun didn’t finish what she was saying when she spotted an unknown person sitting on their couch. She only recognized her after the woman looked in her direction.

 

Seulgi almost tripped when she ran from the kitchen to confirm if it was Joohyun’s voice, “Joohyun?” She walked fast towards the latter and was about to pull her into an embrace, but she slowed down her pace when she noticed that her girlfriend was glaring at her.

 

“Hey, you’re home,” she softly says, after sensing that her girlfriend was not in a good mood.

“I’ll head to our room now.” Joohyun just said coldly. Sunmi, who was the woman sitting on the couch, stood up to greet her, but Joohyun just went past her without saying a single word. She didn’t even look at her to acknowledge her presence either.

Seulgi noticed that, so she called her right away. “Joohyun!”

The raven didn’t look back. She just continued walking straight to their room and closed the door shut.

 

And it pissed Seulgi. She just got back and she must be tired, yes, but that shouldn’t be a reason for her to act rude to someone, especially it was a visitor. She knows that her girlfriend may be mean sometimes when she’s not in the mood, but she knows Joohyun purposely did all of that. “What the hell is wrong with her?”

Sunmi saw how frustrated she was, so she walked closer to her and rubs her back. “She must be tired, Seulgi. Going to different cities and meeting a lot of people is draining and that is new to her. Just understand her, okay?”

“I-I know that unnie, but she didn’t have to ignore you like that. You’re my visitor. She must’ve at least greeted you before heading to our room, but she didn’t!”

“Seulgi, calm down. I was just like that before, it’s okay. I understand her really.”

The monolid was so disappointed at Joohyun for acting rude and will make sure that she’ll confront her girlfriend about this later. She just sighed and apologized to Sunmi on behalf of her partner’s behavior.

 

They only spent an hour talking because Seulgi was so distracted that she wasn’t able to pay that much attention and enjoy her time with Sunmi. The older woman noticed it, so she decided they’d just hang out again next time. Seulgi apologized once again before bidding goodbye to her unnie.

Then she rushed to their bedroom right after Sunmi left. She spots Joohyun leaning on the headboard of their bed while reading a book.

 

She walked closer to her. “What was that, Joohyun?”

“What?” she replied, her eyes glued to the book she was reading.

“About your attitude earlier.” Seulgi crossed her arms.

“Nothing,” Joohyun responded dryly.

Seulgi was starting to get piss again because of her answers. “Nothing? You just wanted to act like that, is that it?” She waited for a reply, but she didn’t get any. Joohyun continued to ignore her, so she grabbed the book that she was reading.

The raven got startled and she glared at her. “What the— can’t you see that I am reading? Stop acting rude, Seulgi. Give me back that book!”

“Really? Do you think I’m acting rude right now? What about what you did earlier to Sunmi unnie? And now me talking to you without even looking at me? You think all of that is not rude?”

Joohyun clicked her tongue and sarcastically laughed at her. “Unnie? You call your ex as unnie, Seulgi?”

The brunette was losing her patience. She massages her temple as she was really frustrated at Joohyun’s behavior right now. But, she still answered her questions calmly yet in a low voice, still trying to keep her composure. “I have already told you a hundred times that she’s not my ex, Joohyun. You know that she’s just like an older sister to me. She just came back from the states, so we just decided to catch up and that’s it. You don’t have to get jealous over her.”

“But, why here? Of all places, you brought her here?”

“You said that you wanted to come home, that I’ll be the first one you’ll see. You said you’re going home this week, but you didn’t tell me exactly which day, so I am staying here in our home as much as possible. That is why I told her to just go in here.”

“Exactly, Seulgi,” Joohyun was now the one to cross her arms, “You promised me that when I come home, you’ll be the first one that I will see, but instead, I saw your so-called ‘Sunmi unnie’.” She purposely emphasized the last part of her sentence.

That made Seulgi taken aback. She was about to say something, but Joohyun had already shifted herself to the other side of the bed, back facing her— totally ignoring her presence. The brunette closed her eyes and harshly brushed her hair to the back.

 

However, Joohyun was hoping for her to still do something like continue talking to her or simply hug her. But, after a few seconds of silence, she heard footsteps and then a loud bang of the door that caused her to shut her eyes— she feels like the sound just went past through her heart, hurting her. She opened her eyes with blurry vision because of the tear that was already tempting to fall in one of her eyes.

 

Seulgi had had enough of her girlfriend’s rude behavior just because she got jealous. She tried to understand her, but Joohyun was too hardheaded and just had to make the situation worst. And that hurt her also. She is already losing her patience and she may take an impulsive action that she may regret after or hurt both of them more if she does not walk out of their room.

 

They were supposed to be happy to see and have each other again in their arms, but instead, they had a stupid fight and hurt one another.

 

None of them dared to make a move to approach their partner; they just continued to ignore one another until the day ended. Both of them didn’t have dinner either. Joohyun didn’t leave the room as she doesn’t want to see her girlfriend for now and wanted to be alone for a while. And Seulgi stayed in the living room the whole time. She wanted them to have some space for a while for them to calm down first before they could talk again.

 

When Seulgi finally calmed down and had the courage to enter their bedroom again, she found Joohyun was still in her position before she left her a few hours ago. She went to the other side of the bed and took a look at what the latter was doing, only to find out that she was already sleeping so peacefully. She carefully laid down her body, avoiding to waking up the light sleeper woman. The monolid settled herself closer to her to have a better sight of her beautiful girlfriend. Joohyun must’ve been really tired since she was snoring lightly. She continued to stare at her for a moment and just observed her steady breathing until she noticed some tear stain on Joohyun’s face. Seulgi concluded that her girlfriend must’ve cried silently until she fell asleep. She felt hurt and guilty for causing her partner to cry, so she promised herself that she’d make it up with her tomorrow as soon as she woke up.

 

Seulgi touched Joohyun’s cheek and caressed it. She then moves her head closer to her, planting a kiss on both of Joohyun’s eyes.

 

“I’m so sorry, Hyunnie,” she whispered.

 

It made Joohyun move in her sleep and it slightly revealed that she was hugging something under the comforters. Seulgi took a look at it by carefully moving aside their comforter. She formed a small smile after seeing her girlfriend was cutely hugging a bear stuffed toy and beside it, there was also a bunny stuffed toy. She thought that this must have been the thing inside the paper bag she was carrying earlier. She takes the bunny and hugs it, just like how Joohyun hugs the bear.

 

She closes her eyes as she hopes they’ll be going to be okay again tomorrow.

 

--

 

Seulgi woke up because she could feel a small hand that was tapping her cheeks nonstop. And then she hears Joohyun’s voice near her. She slowly opened her eyes and saw that the latter was sitting on the bed beside her while talking to someone on the phone. She then grabs the raven’s hand that was on her cheeks and intertwined it with hers. Joohyun got startled as she wasn’t aware that Seulgi was already awake, but she didn’t withdraw her hand and just reciprocated to it instead.

 

“I know. Dad had already told me about it earlier...” Joohyun glances at the woman lying down beside her. Seulgi’s eyes are closed again. She heaved a sigh and gently squeezed the owner of the hand she was holding to prevent her from falling asleep again.

“Yes, Mom. I will be there in thirty.”

 

The statement made Seulgi open her eyes wide after hearing it. She made eye contact with Joohyun. It was awkward since they still haven’t made up with each other yet. She clears and breaks their gazes as she can’t make eye contact any longer. She then got up and sat, still keeping their hands together.

 

“Yeah, she’s right here with me… Okay. Bye, Mom.” Joohyun ended the call and puts her phone on the bedside table. She then took a look at Seulgi again and read her facial expressions. Seulgi’s eyes have a lot of emotions while her face says that she has a lot of questions.

“Mom asked me about you,” Joohyun said, but Seulgi didn’t say anything; instead, she just lowered her head and just played with the former’s fingers.

“I already cooked your breakfast, go get up and eat it.”

“H-how about you? Did you eat already?” Seulgi asked in a small voice.

Joohyun nodded, and she immediately saw the sadness in the younger woman’s eyes. She takes a look at their hands. It hurts her that she needed to leave and be away from her again. “I needed to go back to Daegu and I’m going back with Mom. I have a meeting in the afternoon and Dad wanted me to be there two hours before it starts, so I need to leave now.” She was about to retreat her hand from Seulgi, but she just held it tightly— not wanting to let her hands go.

“But, we haven’t made up yet. And, I-I didn’t know you still needed to go back there again.” Seulgi paused for a while and looked up to stare at Joohyun’s eyes. “I’m s-sorry, about yesterday.”

 

It made Joohyun cracked a painful smile before she explained it all to Seulgi. She wasn’t supposed to come home yesterday. Her father actually told her that they needed to stay a little longer because there was a sudden celebration that would be held in their company in Daegu next week and they had to discuss about it. Jiwoo knows that her daughter will protest against it, so she told her that she could go home yesterday and come back again today, before their scheduled meeting.

Even though it was a hassle going back to Seoul as it takes up to three hours and so is going back again to Daegu, and her time with Seulgi would not last for a whole day— she still decided to go home just to spend a few hours with her girlfriend.

 

“And I’m sorry, too, about what I did yesterday. But, I really nee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter