Epilogue: The yellow umbrella

Begin Again

"When did you start to like me?" - Dara 

 

SBS Inkigayo (2009)

 

"She's cute isn't she?" asked In Seong, one of the PD in Inkigayo as he spotted Jiwon standing at the corner of the backstage. He made friends with In Seong when he became an MC since they were the same age. 

"Who?" Jiwon was puzzled. 

"Oh, look at you. Stop pretending. I've been watching you the whole time," said In Seong. He has been watching Jiwon the whole time. Jiwon usually did not care much when other groups were performing but whenever 2NE1 was on stage, he would stand at the corner near the stage to watch their performance. 

"Don't you want to introduce yourself to her? Who knows you might get to know her better." In Seong playfully . "Or you can put your number in her sandwiches just like other idols." 

"Crazy. What the hell do you think I am? I like them as a fan." He insisted. He really liked 2NE1 as a fan. They were charismatic and fearless on stage with the girl crushes concept, which was very different from other girl groups at that time who were into y and cute concepts. 

"Besides I have a girlfriend already." 

 

*****

 

2016

 

Ever since Jiwon became an idol again, his schedule was busier than ever. From variety shows, dance practice, concerts to recordings, you could just name it. Even so, he was happier to promote with his group members again. It had been a long since they shared the same stage, meeting with their old fans during their prime days and to their surprise, they even gained a lot of new and younger fans. 

"Let's stop at the nearest convenience store. I just need to get some coffee," said Jiwon. 

"Do you want me to buy it for you?" Do manager asked. He parked the car at the nearest convenience store. 

"No, it's fine. Do you even know what I like?" he asked, jokingly. "Kidding, just get a rest. It's going to be a long drive. I'll get you something later." He prepared his shades and mask before he walked out of the car. 

 

*****

 

"How much is it?" Dara asked. She took out some notes from her purse. She thanked the cashier then took the plastic bag before leaving the stores. 

"Help!!" She looked around and saw a lady fell down on the street. There was a guy wearing fully black passing right in front of her running at a fast speed with a brown leather handbag in his hand. 

"Yahhh, stop wherever you are." She took out a can drink from the plastic bag. "Hope this won't hurt that much," she mumbled. She held the can as tight as she can, corrected her stance before she threw the can away. It flew directly to the thief's head causing him to fall down and lose his consciousness. The place started to get crowded by the passerby who wanted to see and help. In no time, two policemen arrived on the scene to catch the thief. 

Dara walked back towards the convenience store. She took out a chair and sat at the canopy outside the convenience store facing away from the store entrance. Thank God she bought two can drinks. The other can fell into the drain and could not be saved anymore. She took out the item she bought from the convenience store onto the table. She took out her books and started peeling the triangle kimbap. 

She put her earphone into her ears and opened her playlist. It has been a long time since she listened to this song, she thought so she turned up the volume when 'To You Whom I Love' by Sechskies was played. She continued reading a few pages until she realized there was a few drops of rain on her book. "Ah, it's raining!" She quickly got up from her seat.

"Dup." She looked down. There was a yellow umbrella on the ground next to her chair. 

"Who left this umbrella here?" she wondered. She looked around but nobody was there. "Did I buy it just now?" She could not recall. The rain was getting heavier. There was no way she would survive the rain without getting soaked. She then decided to take the umbrella and walked away. 

 

 *****

 

"Kringgg..."

Jiwon walked to the chilled beverages section and took two cans of coffee. He took some snacks as well for his child palate. It would be a long drive so he would at least need some snacks. 

"Kringgg..." The bells rang again after the customer left the store. 

Jiwon walked to the cashier when he suddenly heard some noise outside the convenience store. "Dara?" he murmured her name when he finally recognized her. They were now in the same company so it was impossible not to recognize her. His lips curled into a smile when he saw her suddenly jumped and made a ceremony pose in front of the store. 'Cute.'

"Sir?" Jiwon startled. "It's 10,000 KRW," said the cashier. He took out his card to pay. "It seemed like it's going to rain at any minute," said the cashier again. He looked outside. The sky looked dark. He looked at Dara who was currently sitting at the canopy reading her book. She did not seem to carry an umbrella with her.

"Please calculate this one as well." He reached the yellow umbrella and put it on the counter. 

He turned to look at Dara who was totally occupied with the book. It began to rain softly, drizzling on his head. Jiwon left the umbrella behind her chair before he covered his head with his other hand and quickly ran to his car.

 

*****

 

DARA TV - Dating with my idol (2017)

 

"Ooh, it's raining. Thank God I bring my umbrella today!" She said happily.

He looked at the umbrella. It seemed familiar. It even still had the price tag from the store.

Jiwon smiled. "She still keeps it."  He mumbled.

"Sorry, did you say something?" she asked, confused. 

"Nothing. Let me carry that umbrella for you." They walked out from the tteokboki shop to go to the arcade. 

 

 

END