Chapter 10

Behind The Scenes (Chanyeol Fanfic)

Third Person's POV

"A grade." Kwon Jae-Seung announced. 

L heard nothing but the loud applause from everyone after Sky jumped at her to hug her. She still doesn't know what her grade was and asked Sky, "What? What happened? What did he say?" 

"It's A! You're in A grade! Your grade is A!" Sky shouted in her ear while hugging her tightly. 

Shock is an understatement to describe what the A-grade trainee feels right now. 

"Congratulations! You may now get your grade stickers backstage," Lee Dong Wook said to the two performers, then they bowed to the judges.

As soon as they arrived at the table where they will get their stickers, L bawled her eyes out with tears, which she rarely does because she always thinks that she's a strong independent woman who shouldn't cry easily. But here she is crying in front of dozens of cameras and other people.

"Unni, I'm sorry! You should be the one who got the A grade!" she cried which made Sky laugh. "Why would you cry about it? You deserve that! You've earned that! So you don't have to feel sorry just because I am on a lower grade than you, okay?" she clarifies while wiping L's tears. 

"But I won't function without you!" the cry baby complained, pouting and Sky found it adorable. "Aigoo. My baby is so clingy," Sky while patting L's bottoms. 

"Just wait for me there, I'll work hard and go up to your grade. So do your best in order for us to meet there, understand?" Sky asked and her partner nodded. They now put their stickers and returned to their seats. 

Everyone congratulated them. Even the judges in front of them turned their heads to them and said their congratulations. 

---

"Does anyone wants to be the leader?" Ha Bong Cha asked her group, which includes L.

She somehow won the morning mission and was able to pick her own groupmates. And most of her group mates are from the A grade so the other trainees call them the Avengers group. Everyone fears them because of the high rankings and they're proven and tested to be talented.

On the other hand, L feels intimidated with all her groupmates because these are the trainees that the judges complimented so much during their Demo Stage. Everyone is competitive and confident with themselves and there she is, sitting at the end of the line, looking at her groupmates compete for the Leader position.

"Who wants the center position?" the newly appointed leader asked. Everyone raised their hands again except for L.

"Me! I want the center position," Lee Choon Hee said. She's actually a trainee from Yuehua Entertainment and she made a good impression on their Demo Stage because of her facial expressions.

"Let's show our own versions for the center position, then vote," the leader suggested and everyone agreed.

They'll be performing Yes or Yes of TWICE. L isn't confident with this concept since she doesn't see herself as a cute and lovely person but of course, since she chose this path, she needs to do her best whatever happens.

The center position was eventually given to Lee Choon Hee. Then the main vocal was crowned to Ha Bong Cha but the other members think that the position would suit well for L. However, no one else volunteered for it thinking that L will actually volunteer for it but she didn't so they had no choice but to give it to Ha Bong Cha, who's the only one who volunteered. 

Ha Bong Cha is a good singer but since the song's main vocal parts have a lot of high notes, it doesn't really fit well with Ha Bong Cha, who has a lower tone. While L's voice is on the higher tone but despite knowing that, she only got the Vocal 8 position which only has one line for the whole song.

They started to practice and despite having a leader, Ha Bong Cha keeps on deciding for the team. She said that it would be faster to practice individually and later on, they'll practice together after memorizing the steps.

The members didn't have anything to say so they just agreed. And L, since she's a fast learner and quick to memorize things, she was able to learn everything in just two days.

On the third day, it's their interim evaluation and the judges will evaluate them based on what they have practiced already. In the morning, that's the first time they practiced together to check their positions.

The afternoon came and the interim evaluation starts. The group they were against too showed great teamwork. They may not have the best vocals nor dancers but they created a good atmosphere which resulted in a great performance.

Then the group of Ha Bong Cha is now called to perform.  The judges said their high praises as there are many of them who are from the A grade. They also mentioned how the trainees call them the Avengers. The members of the group felt pressured knowing that they might disappoint them after showing their performance.

They started to perform and everything was a mess. Some members got confused about the changing of positions. Some bumped into each other while others don't know where to go. Others have memorized only until verse 1. Ha Bong Cha was off-key as well to almost all her parts as the main vocal because she couldn't reach the high notes. This made the whole team get distracted, except for one person who did great the whole performance, and that's L.

The looks in the judges are screaming disappointed. Obviously, they expected more for this group they call Avengers but they only became the worst group today because of all the mistakes. 

"What happened? What was that?" Sunmi started. "Leader, what happened? What have you done for the past days?" she asked their leader.

"Uhm...we actually decided to practice individually first thinking it would be easier for us to memorize everything," the leader answered.

"This is a team performance and not individual performance anymore. Why would you think like that? Who even brought that idea?" Sunmi added rage can be felt with every word she says.

The other trainees looked at Ha Bong Cha while L just looked down, not wanting to blame someone for their mistakes.  She thought that it's also their fault because they agreed with her decision even though they thought otherwise.

"Ha Bong Cha trainee, you suggested this?" Sunmi asked and Ha Bong Cha nodded. Sunmi just sighed feeling pity because of the teary eyes of the trainees.

"L trainee," Lee Seok Hoon called for L, who immediately raised her head. "Can you try to sing the main vocal's part?" he continued.

"Ah. Ne," L answered and sang in a capella.

The other judges were amazed again because of the clear voice that resonates in the room. Even the trainees from the other group think that she's well suited for the position.

She finishes and everyone applauds her, "Yes. That's it. I knew it would suit you well. If you're gonna waste this talent in your group by giving her just one line, then she's better off with another group who needs someone like her," Lee Seok Hoon lectured.

"I'm not saying that Ha Bong Cha is not good but I think that L's voice would suit the main vocal's parts more. But of course, this is just a suggestion from me. The final choice is still with you, guys. " he added.

"Let me just praise L too because she memorized everything even the details of the choreograph," the dance trainer commented which earned the trainee applause again. 

"Kamsahamnida!" L answered then bowed. 

After the interim evaluation, everyone is down and not well. They felt pressured because of the bad comments they received.

"Uhm...First, let's talk about the main vocals. Do you think we should change our main vocals as they suggested? Please raise your hand if you agree," the leader started.

Everyone raised their hand except for L and Ha Bong Cha, who looks so bitter now because of the result.

"Okay, uhm...so we'll change our main vocal, then. Let's have a vote again on who do you think deserves the position?" then everyone pointed to L, except L and Ha Bong Cha again.  L voted for Ha Bong Cha because she still believes that she will improve with just practice. Ha Bong Cha didn't vote because she's bitter.

They started to practice and some of her groupmates started to approach L so she can teach them the choreography. They were able to finish teaching the whole choreography in a day with the help of the leadership of their leader and L's lead in teaching them.

But there's one person who's not happy with this. She just keeps on staying at the corner practicing by herself or just sitting around. 

---

At the EXO's dorm, Chanyeol just arrived from the practice when he heard Kai is watching TV.

"What are you doing?" he asked Kai which the latter answered, "Hyung, you're home?"

Chanyeol answered with a yes then went to his room to change his clothes. He can hear their song from the TV so he asked Kai again, "What are you doing?" 

"Oh. I'm just watching the rerun of the new survival show. These trainees are great though. They covered our song, Growl," Kai answered then Chanyeol went out to watch with him. 

The moment he looked at the TV he couldn't believe who he's seeing. "Ya! Replay that! Faster!" he shouted to Kai after sitting beside the latter. Kai was shocked and laughed when he realized what his hyung said, "Ya! Hyung, this is not YouTube that I can replay anytime I want. Go to the broadcasting station and ask them to replay it for you," Kai joked but his hyung was just serious watching the TV. 

The performance was already done and it's already the part where the judges are commenting to the trainees. 

"Do you know them?" Kai asked Chanyeol when he noticed how serious his hyung is. 

"Oh," Chanyeol unconsciously nodded which made Kai shocked because it's rare that Chanyeol knows someone he didn't know. "Who? Where? Why? How did you meet?" he asked.

"She's the girl I told you about when we went to our Philippine concert," Chanyeol answered, still staring at the TV. 

"Really? Wow. I feel so proud that an EXO-L is that talented," Kai commented and Chanyeol answered, "Couldn't agree more," with a big smile on his face.

Kai saw this and teased his hyung with a question, "Do you like her?" 

"Oh," Chanyeol answered unconsciously and went to reality when Kai laughed and started to so he added, "No. No! I mean, I find her interesting."

"Oh. Really?" Kai, still teasing his hyung when Do Yun manager called Chanyeol. 

Chanyeol answered it right away and he was welcomed with a shout from the manager, "Ya! Are you watching the TV right now?" the manager asked in a hurry.

"Isn't that---" the manager couldn't finish his sentence because Chanyeol cut him off.

"It's L."