how evergreen, our group of friends

'tis the damn season
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-

 

7 am in the morning, I immediately went to the bathroom para manghilamos. Usually at 4 I start doing my rounds na sa hospital. 'Di na ako makakatulog ulit kaya I just took a hot shower para makapag freshen up na rin. Nakasanayan na talaga ng katawan ko na gumising sa maagang oras. 

 

Once I finished getting ready, I went down sa salas. I smiled when I spotted Zuha already sharpening the knives near the rear door. Careful to be quiet from the rest of the slumbering folks upstairs.

 

"Good morning, Zuha," bati ko sa kanya.

 

"Good morning, Chae," she beamed at me. “Aga natin ah.”

 

“I could say the same to you,” I replied good naturedly. 

 

“Yeah, sanay na ako masyado sa buhay restaurant. It’s like may sariling utak na mga laman at buto ko. Mas maaga pa sa alarm clock.”

 

I smiled sympathetically. I feel you, Zuha.

 

“I’ll finish this lang then take care of our breakfast. Any request?”

 

Umiling ako.

 

“I eat anything, Aeri’s quite picky though. It’s safer to choose sa mga gusto niya.”

 

“Of course,” she beamed. “One family sized plat du jour coming up,” she hummed happily to herself as she went back to her work.

 

I must say, I missed Zuha. We haven't seen each other since Aeri's graduation. Sa iisang school lang kami nag-aaral dati noong senior high. Nagkaroon ng financial problem ang kanyang mga magulang kaya kinuha siya ni Tita Holly (Aeri’s Mom), at kinukupkop siya sa loob ng dalawang taon. Back then, hindi pa siya masyadong magaling sa tagalog, kaya she made sure she cared for us in her own ways. Like sa pagluto, pagiging mood booster, and mediatior kapag may conflict na nangyayari. She used to be so blunt about everything, always making things simple despite us overcomplicating circumstances. It made us realize a lot, that Zuha has a bottomless pit of patience yet we still managed na ubusin yung pasensya niya dahil sa katangahan namin.

 

I chuckled at the memory.

 

Zuha's gallant personality is just among the reason why her business is skyrocketing in Japan. Kagabi we talked about the state of her restaurant, and now she has ten franchises all over the country. In different cities and in different regions. Somi says she’d like to have one in the Philippines and would definitely make sure na she and her family will always be regulars. I said the same thing too.

 

"What's for breakfast, Chef?" Pabiro kong tanong sa kanya.

 

"Frittatas, Doc," she grinned as she took out a huge bowl.

 

"Nice.”

 

While everyone was still asleep, I took the initiative to arrange the groceries to their proper places. Naiwan kasi sa sahig kaya medyo kalat sa paningin. That and I just can't function well, cognitively, if I don't do something to occupy myself. Hinakot ko yung mga bags na malapit sa table and carefully placed the cans on the cabinet, the seasonings on the drawers —per Zuha's request. The meat and the fish in the freezer and the vegetables in the fridge. I separated the pastas and disposed them on containers, meanwhile the bottles of sauces are displayed on the countertop.

 

I folded each eco bags neatly and then stored them in another empty cabinet. While I was busy with my task 'di ko namalayan na may isa pa palang tao na gising na. 

 

"Komorning, Chae," bati niya na medyo garalgal. Napatingin ako sa gawi niya. Sleepiness was still present on her face. Her eyelids barely lifting.

 

"Good morning, Kari," I chuckled at her. "Nakatulog ka ba ng maayos?"

 

She let out a small smile, eyes still closed.

 

"Yeah," she answered, mapaos-paos pa yung boses. "Surprisingly."

 

After our quick greetings she folded the comforter sheet and arranged the pillow atop it. While rubbing her eyes, she goes to her bag. I was just watching her silently.

 

"Ligo muna ako, Chae," paalam niya after she took a pair of clothes and dumiretso na sa taas para maligo.

 

I nodded at her then sinilip ko si Zuha who was busy beating the eggs with the proficiency of a skilled egg beater. 'Di ko mapigilang mamangha, ang bilis lang kumilos. After making sure everything was neat, I sat down the couch and the TV. ‘Di pala namin natapos ni Winteo ang Warrior Nun kagabi, nasa ikalawang episode pa kami. I played it nevertheless, I’ll just take note kung ano yung last scene na pinanood niya.

 

By eight I took the initiative of preparing the table. The plates, the utensils, the glasses of water, and ketchup and condiments. Only the chink of the kitchenware, the sizzling of the pan, and the occasional groans of Ava from the TV can be heard in our space.

 

That was until Ning decided to chirp like a rooster sa 2nd floor. Literal na parang nabasag yung katahimikan sa tulis ng tili niya.

 

"GISING NA ANG MAGANDA!"

 

Zuha and I looked at each other and winced.

 

Hay. Ning, still hasn't changed. She's still this ball of energy whose flames just doesn't expire. I could hear her footsteps fast approaching us and I immediately prepared my ears from her ear shattering shrill.

 

"GOOD MORNING!" sigaw niya.

 

Lord.

 

I'm not sure how she does it, but parang may megaphone implant sa plica vocalis niya ever since birth, and I'm surprised that hindi pa siya napapaos sa kakasigaw. I used to be sanay, but we barely see each other na because of work, kung kaya't parang bumalik yung vulnerability ng ear canal ko sa matulis niyang boses.

 

"Good morning, Ning," bati ko sakanya. Trying to match her energy that's just full of sunshine. If this was in anime, sure ako na may petals pa ng flower na nakapaligid sa kanya. Pati mata niya siguro may flower shapes. 

 

Which is an indication na Ning is really that refreshing to be with. 

 

Though it can be overwhelming for some but for me who's subjected to hours of deafening silence during rounds at the hospital, I really appreciate her burst of energy. It's always better to have agonizing noises full of warmth than a bucketful of cold, eerie silence dousing you every morning. At least with her, I can't think. And when I can't think, I won't likely submerge myself into work problems.

 

"Good morning, Zuha! Wow, ang bango. Can I make hingi?"

 

Zuha nodded like the generous person she is. Narinig ko pa na binalaan niya si Ning na hinay hinay lang baka mapaso siya.

 

"Did Rina and Minju got home safely kagabi?" alalang tanong ni Somi na sumunod sa kanya, still yawning. "Aeri was quite vexed, 'di raw kasi sila ma reach."

 

I nodded, putting my finishing touches sa table. "Yep, they got home at quarter to three this morning."

 

Somi let out a sigh of relief.  "Thank goodness."

 

I chuckled.

 

Somi, well, she is the second Mother of the group. Next to Aeri. I don't know when she started to take the position, but she just did. In High School, she was a bit more serious than Ning, but as playful as Aeri. Sort of a bit vain and immature. Plus, ma-issue. Grabe 'to manukso to the point that she'd end up as your matchmaker and wingwoman. Courtesy of Winteo and Kari. 

 

In other words, Aeri's partner in crime.

 

When we got into college and barely saw each other na, she would deliberately visit all our places para makichika or to deliver food and make sure we stay in contact with each other. Hindi naman mahirap, but sometimes our schedule doesn't match.

 

I guess it's safe to reveal that she has separation anxiety, which she actually sought a therapist for. Hence why when we were graduating, she got to manage it well na. But before that she would cry if we couldn't see each other at least twice a week.

 

Such a softie, no?

 

But also tough as nails when it comes to decisions.

 

Kung kaya't ever since she got married all of us started to seek her advice. I don't know, I guess she really became more mature than the rest of us when she took the chance at being happy with her nerdy crush since High School, Taeil.

 

All of us were shocked when we heard their engagement, well, except for Aeri. Because our group of friends at the age of 26 and onwards were chronically career oriented and none of us ever thought of getting married. And relationships in general were just too mentally demanding and taxing to juggle along with your everyday hassles brought by tedious jobs.

 

No couple was meant to last, except Somi and Taeil, apparently.

 

It turns out that with the right person, the load you carry turns to half. Because in Somi's words, each of you will carry each other's burden, and store it someplace else, a bigger emptier place, where the old boxes will be forgotten and put to rest.

 

"So, what's for breakfast?" tanong niya sakin.

 

"Sausage frittatas avec café au lait, Madame," Zuha declared with a faux french accent as she busied herself with the milk and the vanilla bean.

 

I looked at Somi and shrugged. "What she said, Som."

 

She and Ning, their brown and blonde hair immediately huddled next to each other, watching Zuha as she did her magic. Even clapping in awe when the Chef does some trick that can only be done with years of mastery. Kahit ako namangha when she dropped the milk meters away from the cup and did not spill a single droplet.

 

All three of us clapped while Kazuha playfully bows and mutters her thank you to her little audience.

 

I smiled and then sat on the couch, waiting for the others to arrive para makakain na.

 

"Good Morning," Karina greeted the company, fresh as a daisy. Her hair still a bit damp as she hugged Ning and Somi from behind. 

 

The reaction was instantaneous and I readied my poor ears from the explosive response. The tili was doubled kaya I shut my eyes tight.

 

"OH MY GOSH. KARI!!!" 

 

"KARINAAAAA! OH MY GADDDD!!!"

 

"Ow," Karina grimaced from the noise but she was still smiling nevertheless. "It's so nice to see you too."

 

They hugged each other like it's been forever. Well, technically, it might as well be.

 

We barely see Kari because she’s staying in Australia now. 

 

She's a zoologist, an expert in wildlife conservation. She would go for months not talking to any of us, and the next thing we know she's in the Amazon river filing lawsuits against poachers and protecting boas and alligators that would not hesitate to swallow her whole.

 

It's really rare to see her, but sabi niya she was supposed to go here anyway to check a sighting of a variation of a snake. Like an evolved species of a japanese pit viper. Kaya she said it was like hitting two birds with one stone. She also mentioned about staying in the country until spring.

 

"I heard people screaming my Bff's name, where is she?" Aeri announced sa taas. The three then broke the hug as Karina approached the bottom of the stairs with her arms open wide.

 

"Aeri."

 

I smiled at this reunion. Of course, the formidable duo. Childhood friends until lifelong found sisters. Aeri and Kari.

 

It's a long story but if it weren't for Aeri, siguro hindi kami magiging magkaibigan ni Karina and Somi. Because Winter and I were shy and reserved kids, si Ning lang ata yung super kaclose namin. It took so many convincing from Aeri para mapasali kami sa grupo nila during family day. She's the most competitive sa amin kasi, pangalawa si Winter. 

 

I guess that's why my cousin and her instantly clicked agad, they always see each other eye to eye when it comes to winning. Kaya if you get partnered with them on a project, expect that you'd get a perfect grade because they're perfectionists to a tee to the point na inaako na nila lahat yung gawain.

 

Kaya rin siguro very high-strung si Aeri ngayon, ayaw niya na hindi nakaayon yung gagawin namin sa schedule niya, which she probably planned for—well, more or less a year.

 

"!" Aeri barked with venom habang bumababa sa hagdanan at hinampas yung braso ni Kari, "How dare you make me worry!"

 

Karina rubbed the spot Aeri slapped sa braso niya.

 

"Ow!" she pouted. "I promise it wasn't intentional! May bad luck lang talaga kami ni Minju kahapon."

 

"Well, you better ipon your luck during this trip girl. Because I have a lot of plans, and nothing, and I mean nothing will delay it, Katarina," Aeri squinted her eyes threateningly. 

 

Karina just smiled apologetically at her.

 

From the corner of my eye nakikita ko Somi and Ning watching them, their arms on each other's waist, refusing to let go of each other.

 

When we heard a camera shutter click, napalingon kami lahat sa pinanggalingan nito. There stood Minju behind the staircase, an angelic smile on her face as she busied herself with the camera. She proudly looks at the picture she has taken before she goes forward. 

 

I looked at her hair, may messy tufts pa na nasa ulo niya. Even though her bed hair is a mess and her thick rimmed glasses are still on her face, she looks so pretty still.

 

My heartbeat slowed when she looked my way. 

 

“Good morning,” she mouthed at me.

 

“Good morning,” I mouthed back.

 

She slid her eyes to the floor shyly and bit her lip. When our eyes met again I caressed my nape.

 

I don’t know why, pero parang bigla akong nahiya. 

 

Must’ve been the coffee. 

 

"JUUUUUUUUUU!" tili na naman ni Ning. "ANG PINAKAMAGANDA KONG BESTIE!!!"

 

I could see Minju's cheek turn rosy. She chuckled shyly habang sinasalubong niya yung yakap ni Ning.

 

"Hi, Ning."

 

"Angel, I missed you," sabi naman ni Somi as she enveloped Minju in a hug. Pabiro namang hinampas ni Aeri si Minju sa balikat. "You made me worry, Juju!"

 

Minju's face immediately turned apologetic.

 

"Aeri, let her explain later," Kari interrupts kindly.

 

I smiled. Because I knew the reason why hindi sila ma-contact kagabi. I couldn't help but giggle.

 

Ah, Minju hasn't changed.

 

She's still the pure and harmless Minju I knew back then. Clumsy, forgetful, and too soft and gentle for this world. 

 

"Hay, Ju," Aeri shook her head disapprovingly, but pulled Minju in nevertheless. "Cmere nga."

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter