The Note.

I Remember.

Laughter.

Two voices that rang out so clearly across the sun-kissed meadow.

Pink, purple, yellow, blue, scattered out upon hues of green. They danced and waved in the gentle breeze, tickling the bare feet that weaved through them. The blue sky stretched endlessly across, littered with puffy white clouds in the shapes of squirrels and bunnies. Soft thumps sounded as two light bodies fell back upon the grass, toes curling into the dew-dropped ferns, eyes sparking in the sunlight.

“This is beautiful.”

Lips turned upwards, upon a face nodding in agreement. Hands found their way above heads for slender fingers to intertwine. A cheeky grin spread across fair skin.

“Not as beautiful as you.”

Crimson crept quickly onto heated cheeks.

What is this perfection felt so deep inside the heart, so bubbly and warm? What is this carefree happiness? This flawless world? Two young minds that felt so blissful and at peace, joy-filled smiles upon youthful faces as the world they lay upon continued spinning.

It was never meant to go on that way.

 

Screams.

Two voices that rang out so frantically across the burning meadow.

Red and orange, so alarmingly painted across a falling sky. They wavered in the harsh wind and at the pale skin that sat beneath it.

And the ground between them cracked open.

 

I shot up in bed, hand clasped to my forehead. My hair was plastered to my face by cold sweat that seemed to pour down my neck by the gallon.

This was the second time that I had a nightmare like that. I hated it. I lost precious hours of sleep to it lying awake in bed at night right after waking up from it, afraid it would return the second I closed my eyes. It would come back even during the day to haunt my conscious mind, sending me into fits of confusion in all my urge to understand what it meant. I never figured it out.

It first came to me on the day of the fansign.

 

~~~~~~

 

“Don’t you remember me?”

“…what?”

I stared at him in confusion, my face heating up for the umpteenth time that night. My heart dropped when he gave a weak smile and shook his head, pushing the poster back to me. I gave an uncertain bow and moved on to Himchan and Yongguk. I knew I would one day regret treating them both the same way I treated Jongup, but I really didn’t know what to do. My mind had immediately been clouded by Daehyun and what he said.

I took my poster from Yongguk’s outstretched hands, giving an emotionless bow before descending the steps that led off the stage.

What did he mean? I chewed on my lower lip, trying to figure out Daehyun’s words.

I clenched my fists around the rolled-up poster, gasping when a pink Post-It drifted out one end. I scrambled to grab it and blushed again when some girls walking past me chuckled. I looked downwards in embarrassment, fingers moving to unfurl the slightly crumpled piece of paper.

On it, in Daehyun’s slightly messy handwriting, were the words, “When you remember.”

My heart leapt when I saw the phone number below it.

 

~~~~~~

 

I sat up in bed, eyes tearing at the glowing device I held in the palm of my hand. I had keyed in the phone number on the Post-It and was staring indecisively at my phone.

Should I? I asked myself over and over again.

I was lost, my mind shrouded with questions and doubts.

What if they’re already on their way back to Korea? What if it’s not him? What if he gets mad at me? What if this is all a misunderstanding? How am I supposed to talk to him?

I sighed listlessly and fell back against my mattress, eyes still glued to the dial screen. And the questions just kept pouring in.

What if he asks who I am? What do I say then? What if he gave me the Post-It without thinking? What if it was never meant for me?

One thing had me sit back up.

I reached over to my bedside table and took the note into my hands.

“When you remember.”

What does that mean? When I remember what?

I wiped my tired, teary eyes and heaved another sigh. I stared at the numbers on the screen. They glowed so bright it was as if they were taunting me. I shook my head and roughly flipped my phone shut. I leaned over the side of my bed and pulled my drawer open, shoving both my phone and the note inside.

“Daehyun-ah, you’ve got the wrong girl.” I said aloud before lying back down and closing my eyes. 

 

~~~~~~

 

Author's Note~

Thank you so much to all 11 of my subscribers :DD You don't know how happy I am even if it's just 11 of you. x)

I hope you're enjoying the story so far, please anticipate more :DD <3