Legend 5

The Fox Legend

 

"Do you know what love is?"

              Hongki squinted at the sunlight as he stared at the faraway sky. It was a school day and immediately, he called Jinki up the rooftop to have a chat with him. Chat about love, about Rein, about them.

              Jinki didn't response. He just sits there, on the ground, cross legged, and staring at Hongki's back.

              "Answer me, Jinki."

              Jinki's eyes widen at his name being called. "I do. After I know Rein, I do."

              "So you're saying that you love Rein?" Hongki turned around with his back against the railing. "Seriously? With only days being with her? Do you even know her? Understand her?"

              "I don't. But I will," he retorted, standing up from the ground and patting off dust from his pants.

              "There's no time for that. Rein need someone who really understands her and-"

              "Indeed. There's no time for anything. Hongki," Jinki took steps towards Hongki as his expression display nothing but concern. "-there's no time for anything if your soul is tearing apart."

              At first, Hongki frowned but soon, he smirked. "We're talking about Rein right now."

              "But I'm changing the topic."

              "Who do you think you're to talk to me about these?"

              "Your best friend."

              "Best friend? My best friend who stole my first love away?"

              "Hongki, I didn't. Emma—"

              Hongki raised his hand to stop Jinki from talking.

              "Don't talk to me about Emma. Anyway, ask your little brother not to poke his nose into my business. This is MY soul for your ing info."

              "I know it's your soul," the door connecting the stairs to the rooftop cracked open, revealing an irritated Taemin. "But because we treated you as friend. We care for you."

              "Care?" Hongki's smirk became wider, "If you didn't steal Emma away from me, I would have believe that.”

              "But Emma—" Jinki tried to explain but instantly was cut off by Hongki again. "Don't talk about Emma."

              "Lee Hongki. What the is wrong with you? You misunderstood everything and when we tried to explain, you don't want to listen. Are you going to live in your own world and just treat as my hyung really stole your love away?" Taemin snapped.

              "There's no place for you to talk. Lee Taemin," Hongki gritted his teeth. "-and we're talking about Rein here. Stop trying to change topic and drag Emma in."

              "You want to talk about Rein?" Jinki walked closer to Hongki until their faces were just inches apart. "She taught me what love was. So I'm going to make her mine."

              "But I heard that both of you have less than one month left before you return to your beast form. How are you going to love her after that? Asking her to cry for you every night? Forget it, prince. Just enjoy being a human without involving anyone and get back into your palace when the time is up."

              Hongki smirked again before walking to the door. "This time, she will be mine."

Rein walked around the corridor aimlessly, looking into every classroom to find the one person that she has been wanting to see. "Ah mianhae," she apologized as soon as she knocked into someone before leaving the fifth classroom that she had gone in.

              "Rein!"

              She turned her head and caught Hongki waving at her. Smiling, she waited for him to arrive before her.

              "Hongki, I've been finding Jin-"

              "Ah Rein, quick. The lesson is going to start soon. It's Monday, remember?" Hongki smiled as he held onto Rein's shoulders before turning her around. "Wait, but-"

              "Rein."

              She turned around, failed to notice the disappointment and frustration on Hongki's face. "Jinki!" She smiled as she wriggled out of Hongki's grip.

              "Let's go class?" She asked, hooking into Jinki's arm which surprises everyone including the Taemin who followed behind his hyung.

              But at one corner of the corridor, a pair of eyes was fiercely piercing into the two figures. Filled with jealousy and resentment. Taemin on the other hand, felt the intense glare from someone behind them as he looked from the corner of his eyes.

              "Let's go too Taemin!" And she wrapped her other arm around Taemin's arm where he was so surprised he actually froze and forgot about the 'stalker'. 

              Hongki watched as the three of them passed by him. He felt neglected, absolutely neglected. It was like he was the extra one that should leave the picture. No, he thought. He's not going to give up Rein to Jinki. Not now, not ever. Not after what happened about Emma. He sighed as he headed in the same direction as the three of them went.

              "Rein Kingsley..." The owner of the pair of piercing eyes scoffed, her heels clicked in the quiet hallway as she stepped out from behind the corner.

              "How dare you cling onto my Jinki-oppa?"

"Hyung, you and Rein?"

              "We're just friends."

              "Stop joking. I heard what you said to Hongki."

              Taemin slouched further into the couch with Pixie's head on his lap. "Do you really love her? Do you even know what love is?"

              "Taemin, you'd no idea," Jinki sighed as he stared at the plain wall in front of him. Pixie barked, grabbing the older guy's attention before he his dried lips. "I mean, she's really nice. When she smiles...I felt like my tummy was being overturned. I want her to be in my arms, I want to hold her so tightly that she can never get out of my sight. I never felt this way before."

              "You want her. Was it because Hongki want her too?" Taemin pointed it out, "hyung, I don't really know what had happened between Emma and the two of you and I'm not interested to know. However I'm pretty sure you're not the type that steals others loves. I know that the marriage was arranged and you don't actually like Emma so I assumed that everything was planned out by the King. But hyung,"

              Jinki looked up and watched as Taemin pat on Pixie's body, signaling her to move away because he wants to get up. "The days you spent with Rein were so short, are you sure you really love her?"

              Jinki bit the inner of his mouth, standing up and heading to the stairs with Taemin's eyes still on him.

              "Hyung, there's another thing I want to tell you."

              Aish Taemin, how many things do you want to tell me? Jinki scoffed in his mind, rolling his eyes but making sure that his irritation doesn't reach his younger brother.

              "I felt...Luna...Luna's presence."

              "What?" Jinki's brows furrowed.

              "Yeah. I guess it was because you're out here so she doesn't want to be separated from you. Well, who the in the palace doesn't know that the King dote on her the most. Even if she wants the stars in the sky the King would probably get someone to plug it for her. The only thing I'm puzzled was, why doesn't the King present his elder son to her since she love you so much."

              Taemin grinned, earning a loud growl from Pixie. "YAH! Shut up," he frowned at the creature. Looking back at the stairs where his hyung stood, but he was nowhere to be seen already.

              "Aish," the dongsaeng ran a hand through his hair. "If you really love Rein, you have to fight for her. Hyung,"

Jinki sat on the floor, leaning his back against the wall as he glance out of the window at the dark sky.

FLASHBACK

"Jinki-ah! Emma agreed to be my girlfriend. She agreed to it!" Hongki beamed as he turned to look at the face of his love. Emma smiled shyly, lowering her head in embarrassment.

Jinki watched as Hongki's hand was placed over Emma's paw. Emma looked up at him and her eyes sparkled so much under the moonlight that Jinki felt the stung in his heart.

"Really? That's great," He forced a grin, relieved at the fact that he heard Taemin and Luna bickering noise because he might not be able to take the blow. He loves Emma.

END OF FLASKBACK

"Taemin-ah...you're wrong. I used to love Emma; you had no idea how happy I was when the King plans the arranged marriage."

              He rubbed his face with his palms before running his hand through his hair. "But at the same time, I've no idea how to face Hongki."

FLASHBACK

"What?" Emma asked in a low voice. "What do you mean by that? I'm married to you? What on earth?" Emma couldn't believe what she had just heard; she padded around the same spot for as long as Jinki was there, looking at her as she think of what to reply and how to tell Hongki about it.

"I heard it," Hongki walked out from behind the bushes. "Lee Jinki, you asked the King to give you Emma isn't it? I know. I know since the beginning you like her and you're not AT ALL happy that she's with me. Are you jealous?" Hongki frowned, standing directly in front of Jinki without fear. Not even if he's a human and Jinki's a fox.

"I didn't. I didn't ask for it," Jinki calmly reply, hot air coming out from his nose knowing that his best friend actually accused him. "I'm really happy for the both of you and I've no idea why you're accusing me. You're my best friend isn't it? The five of us grew up together!"

"And just because we grew up together, I know that you're interested in Emma since forever. I didn't know that you will use your authority to get the girl you want. By asking your dad to give her to you? How pathetic Lee Jinki," Hongki mocked.

"Hongki, stop it," Emma tried to pull Hongki back as soon as she realized how close both of them were and it scares her when they looked like they're going to fight.

END OF FLASHBACK

Jinki threw his head back so hard that it knocked against the wall with a loud thud. Not minding the pain on his head, he fell on his side and curled his body up on the ground. "Why am I always falling in love with the same girl as Hongki?"

              Closing his eyes, all he could see was Rein. Rein's laughing face, Rein's smiling face, Rein's sad face, Rein's crying face, Rein's peacefully sleeping face.

              No.

              Wait.

              If the way he felt when Rein interacted with him was called love. What was the feeling when Emma was with him then? He won't forget the butterflies in his stomach when Rein smiled at him. It was a feeling he never had before, not even when Emma smiled at him. The way when he was with Emma, it was comfortable and carefree. But when he's with Rein, he wanted to protect her from all sadness; he wanted to do a lot of things for her.

              Yeah.

              It was different.

              "So that's love," he whispered to himself.

She stared blankly at her phone screen, rubbing her thumb on the surface where the text message was received. Sighing, she locked her phone and put it aside.

              "Rein?" Knockings came onto her door before she looked up from her lecture notes. The door opened to reveal a tall, strong built middle-aged man. "Oh dad? You're back," her tone was normal, it didn't fill with anticipation and excitement like she used to.

              Her dad sighed, coming into the room and stood beside Rein, with his hand on the back of her head.

              "What's wrong my princess? Why do you sound so sad?"

              "I wasn't sad. Dad," Rein said, flipping her lecture notes and ignoring her dad's concern.

              "I'm sorry princess," he apologized, ruffling her hair like how he does when she was a kid.

              She couldn't recall the last time her father actually ruffles her hair. Or even speaks to her. It was like she haven't seen him in a very long time and she couldn't even remember how long it was.

              "Sorry for? I don't need an apology you know," she scoffed, silently laughing at herself on how silly she was.

              "Princess, I'm—"

              "Dad, can't you see I'm trying to study here?" She said it coldly, expecting him to leave the room and he did, after pecking her forehead.

              She stared on her lecture notes as if she was going to burn holes in it. She can't get the content into her head and it was pissing her off even further. She read the same sentence twice but she can't get the meaning even though it was just a very simple sentence. Sighing, she closes the booklet and threw it aside.

              Crawling up onto her bed, the flashback of Jinki and her on her bed came back into her mind and it tickles her every time she remember how sudden he 'stole' her lips. She was even more surprised when she could actually act normally in front of him in school today and even cling onto his arm. She definitely has good feelings towards him but does he have too? If not, why would he kiss her?

              She was in her own thoughts until something loud snapped her out of it, and because of that she literally jumped from her bed. It was like a sound when someone hits the glass with their palm or something so she looked at her window and indeed, something was there. Curiosity took over her whole body; she crawled out from her bed and went over to it. It was a small piece of post-it sticking on the outside of her window.

 

 

Chills run down her spine as she recalled that she lives on the 18th floor.

 

 

 

 

 

EMIZ's Dungeon

It took quite a while because I was having writer block...I'm not used to writing in third person POV yet so spare me. OTL. I changed the font too anyway. Well I think no one's reading this. Can I get some response? ;~;