Prelude to Engagement Dinner

Problems with Prearranged Marriage

 

 

Thanks for all the comments. I was slightly frustrated with myself because i felt that the previous chapter wasn't really well done but i felt so much warmth after reading all the comments. Thanks for enjoying the previous chapter :)

Here is a small additional segment. Hope you guys enjoy this too :)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Some people say: absence makes the heart grow fonder. However, there is also another common saying: everything fades with time and distance. No matter which, there is definitely validity in each statement, and their logic in it.

And thus we come to their day of engagement. What kind of interactions would they bring about this time round? Would it be more inclined towards the first or the second saying?

Prior to the dinner, it was just the simple ceremony when they made vows in front of the official and signed their names on the official booklet that officially proclaim them “engaged”.

“Mr and Mrs Choi, once you have signed on this official document, you two will be pronounced as engaged, and is legally recognized as a wed couple. This document…” The officer made his usual statement.

Sulli stared in boredom. “Can’t we just get this done and over with? Forget about all the formalities and just let us sign on that paper.” She inquired while interrupting the officer.

“I’m sorry but Mrs Choi, I’m afraid we cannot skip this procedure. It’s part of my work duty. I have the obligation to inform you about our laws and regulation, and explain the details in this document.” The officer replied Sulli in his usual ‘work’ mode.

“Okay…” Sulli replied slightly irritated.

“Thank you.” The officer smiled. Sulli managed a smile back as a form of courtesy, but her smile immediately disappeared without a trace upon hearing the officer’s next words.

“Now where did I stop just now?”

OH NO.

“Pardon me Mr and Mrs Choi, I would have to explain from the beginning. In front of the both of you is the document…” The officer repeated.

.

Choi Jinri. It’s your entire fault! Why did you interrupt the officer when he was almost done with his ‘routine procedure’? Minho conveyed a silent message to Sulli, frowning in his expressions.

You think I’m glad with this? GOSH how long did it take him the first time? Sulli returned his silent message with another.

You think I would be bothered enough to time his words? Minho glared at Sulli.

So you think glaring wins? And why are you copying my usual action? Sulli glared back.

The officer, oblivious to the tense atmosphere between the two, continued his routine.

And when he finally finished informing the duo about the important points, the duo signed on the document.

“You two are pronounced husband and wife.” The officer smiled and said.

Minho and Sulli forced a smile back.

“Aren’t you two going to kiss?” The officer inquired after seeing no actions from the duo.

“It’s okay. We don’t kiss.” Sulli replied.

“HUH? Which couple doesn’t kiss?” The officer questioned in utter puzzlement.

“Mr officer, I don’t think it’s something that you should be concerned about.” Minho replied crudely. He then dragged Sulli off the seat and the office, Sulli screaming for him to let go along the way.

Which marks the end of the official ceremony.

And spells the beginning of the engagement dinner.

“Our Jinri looks pretty today!” Sulli’s omma praised as Sulli came out from her walk-in wardrobe, dressed in a royal velvet blue short sleeved dress that ends at above the knee. It had a unique cut that enhanced Sulli’s already well-donned figure. Her hair was in elegant curls that rested gently on her shoulders.

“Hmm thanks omma, but do you mean I’m not pretty on other days?” Sulli joked.

“Of course not my dear, you’re pretty every day, since you inherited your looks from me.” Mrs Choi laughed to herself as she replied.

Hmm okay, omma… Sulli thought to herself.

“Oh where’s the veil?” Sulli’s mother searched the room.

“Omma, engagement doesn’t need a veil.” Sulli replied.

“Oh yes, look at how blur I am. If only you are married and not just engaged…but the guy’s side said that they wanted to give Minho a year to build his career before he gets officially ‘married’.” Sulli’s mother rambled on and on.

Thank goodness it’s just an engagement. Thank goodness for the one-year plan. Sulli thought to herself. I can’t imagine married life with him, living together and all that. Gosh that would have been so painful.

“But thankfully Mrs Choi agreed with us that we should make the engagement look like a full marriage, so we have prepared a residence for the both of you to stay in after the engagement.” Mrs Choi’s words immediately killed the remaining hope in Sulli’s head.

“You say, we’re going to live together?” Sulli exclaimed in shock.

“Of course,” Mrs Choi replied with a smile. “Come on don’t hide your excitement, honey.”

Who would be excited about this? Sulli frowned.

*Knock knock*

“Ready for the dinner?” Mr Choi asked when he opened the door.

As if I can say that I’m not ready. Sulli thought to herself. “Sure.” She replied.