Chapter One

The Dooms Games

Eve wakes up, looking shocked. Something has bothered her beauty sleep. A bad dream of a girl choking and stabbing her violently. These nightmares has been hunting her for the past few weeks. She wonders why does she get these dreams? Is it some kind of a sign? Eve is quite clueless. She looks outside the window and sighs heavily. The sky is still at dawn.

She knows that she will not be able to continue her sleep. Eve puts on her hunting attire and goes downstairs. She plans to kill some games in the woods before the public "Drawing". She slips on her hunting boots and leaves.

She walks carefully and watches her back. She does not want any Controlles to realize that she is making her way to the woods. She ducks and hides behind a big wooden crate as she sees a few Controllers are patrolling around the area. When the coast is clear, she quickly runs to the wire fence without being seen.

There is big hole on the wire fence. Eve is pretty sure that some rascals in the residence did it. She feels grateful enough because no one attempts to fix it or cover it with anything. She goes through the hole and runs into the woods as she sees some Controllers are passing by. The rule of forbidding residents from trespassing the woods has been set. She may be punished to death if she was caught.

Eve makes her way further into the woods. Some twigs snap and dried leaves rustle as she walks. She stops at a point where she hides her bow and arrows. The residents are not allowed to keep weapons or anything that is sharp and dangerous. She has decided to keep her bow and arrows safe in the woods. No one will find it. Eve collects her bow and walks around.

She sees a big fat rabbit between the bushes. She get her bow ready and aims for her game. Right before Eve releases her arrow, the rabbit hops away as it sense her presence. Eve sighes heavily and continues to find another game.

She stops her steps as she nearly reached the streams. She sees a 100-pound deer is drinking at the streams. Eve crouches between the bushes and examines the deer carefully. This is a golden chance for her. She must shoot it and bring it back home.

Eve raises her bow and aims the deer. Suddenly, a knife strikes the deer right in its eyes. It startles Eve in the inside. She peeks to see who throws the knife and steals her valuable game. It's a boy.

"That's my game." Eve says as she gets out from her hiding. The boy turns to look at Eve and his eyes widen. He looks pretty shocked. She frowns and gives the boy a dirty look. The boy stands still, not moving. His guilts are building up.

Eve glances at the boy's hand. It is full of games. Rabbits, squirrels, pigeons, you name it. Is it not enough yet? What a greedy boy. She thinks to herself. She groans heavily and walks away.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Eve arrives home. She manages to shoot three fat squirrels today. She is quite disappointed with that wide-eyed boy. The deer should be hers. Her family could be having the deer for the celebration after the public "Drawing". She bites her lower lip in anger.

She is certain that she will not be drawn. Come on, she's the only child of the victors of this games. Her parents have survived this. She shall not be going into the arena. Yet still, her name was in for about five times. Those five times will sure make a big difference.

Eve takes a long bubble bath to calm herself down. Her mind is kind of foggy. Messed up with these mixed feelings. Anger, despair, and nervous. Ergh. She feels terrible.

After bath, she puts on a sky blue blouse with a black skirt. She looks into herself in the mirror. She can tells which part of her face belongs to whom. Mostly, she looks just like her mother. Mrs. Hamilton comes up to her and hugs her from the back. She continues to braid Eve's hair into french braided pigtails.

"You've never been this beautiful before." She says while looking right into Eve's crystal eyes. Eve is sure to have her father's eyes and that makes Mrs. Hamilton feels calm. It is like looking right into her love of the life's eyes.

"I'm your daughter, after all." Eve hugs her mother tightly and tears start rolling down her rosy cheeks. She is very scared and nervous. She may have been safe for the past four years but what about now? Will luck be at her side just like four years back? She is shaking terribly and Mrs. Hamilton realizes that she is crying.

"Shh, don't cry." Mrs. Hamilton shushes Eve. She is kind of worried too. Eve is her only daughter. She is only sixteen. She prays hard and hopes that Eve will not be drawn. Everything will be alright. Eve will have to go through another year of "Drawing" and she will be safe by her side. Mrs. Hamilton thinks to herself.

"Don't cry, honey. You will be alright." She pats Eve's back slowly.