Sound Of Rain

Sound Of Rain

 

 

Daehyun watched from the back as Youngjae traced the trail of a raindrop running on the other side of the window with his index finger. The older rubbed his hair and patted his face with a towel to get rid of the unwanted moisture from dripping down his body. The shower was needed after walking on the streets on a rainy day, but he was with Youngjae so it didn’t matter that much. He walked back into the bathroom to hang his towel then approached the dining table where Youngjae was sitting. He sat opposite to the focused boy.

        The table was placed there by the window for a reason: Youngjae loved looking out to the streets. Daehyun never understood why and after the twentieth futile questions he gave up his curiosity. Sometimes he asked himself whether or not Youngjae was the one for him and vice versa. It wasn’t because of common interests – they have plenty of them – and it wasn’t about inadequate communication either. It was just that Daehyun often didn’t understand Youngjae’s philosophies and ideologies – it seemed to him that Youngjae’s mind was several years ahead of him in terms of sophistication; he was sometimes too sophisticated for Daehyun’s liking. Of course, Youngjae had his playful, adorable, baby times and those were most of the time. Daehyun loved that side of Youngjae so much that his worries were never long-lived.

        However, whenever it rains, Daehyun was a hundred per cent sure that it was time to be a bit more complex; no more fooling around.

        “I love rainy days.” Youngjae stated flatly while withdrawing his hand from the cold sheet of glass besides him. He tore his eyes from the mesmerising, messy pattern formed by deposited raindrops and looked softly at Daehyun right in the eyes. His lips curled upward into a sweet smile.

        “Why?” The older boy asked in a tone tainted with mischief. Youngjae contemplated for a few seconds in search of an answer.

        “Because the sky gets to release its built-up emotions and gets rid of the shrouding clouds all around it.” He replied, slightly tilting his head. Daehyun hated it when this happened. Instead of tossing out complicated metaphors, could he be more straightforward and direct?

        “And shower them onto the earth? That’s pretty selfish.” Daehyun spoke and Youngjae pursed his lips subtly, seemingly disappointed and discontented.

        “But it will be sunny afterwards,” Youngjae explained with patience in his voice, “its sadness will be gone.” He bit his lower lip hoping the older would understand.

       “Rain is annoying to me,” Daehyun ruffled his hair, hating the moisture that plastered his bangs onto his forehead; “I don’t get it.” He admitted and took a cookie from the plate in front of him before biting a crooked semi-circle out of it. Crumbs were scattered on the table and the boy swept them to the floor. Youngjae didn’t mind, he was going to vacuum the place today anyway.

        “You cannot expect a person to always be cheerful and bright,” Youngjae observed Daehyun’s actions as if examining a rare creature while speaking calmly like a professor, “and in the same logic, you cannot expect the sky to be sunny all the time.” He simply added, “As the water evaporates and condenses in the sky, its burden increases. It has to let it out. Like a person, a person can’t take too much negative emotions can him? He has to cry.” None of the explanation reached Daehyun.

        “Woah you’re so philosophical.” The older boy teased and Youngjae sighed defeatedly. The sigh distorted into a chuckle before he knew it.

        “Damn you Dae.”

        “I you very, very much too, babe.” They both laughed.

***

The door slammed close on Daehyun’s face, with the loudest door bang he had ever heard, and he shuddered from the impact. Youngjae’s scream was still echoing in the channels of his ears. He made his decision to chase after the departing boy within a few seconds but unfortunately, it wasn’t quickly enough. With desperate, wide opened eyes, Daehyun witnessed Youngjae’s boiling face, stained with streaks of salty tears, disappear behind the elevator door. The older boy leapt at the button to open the doors almost immediately, but the efforts he put in to frantically press, or even hit, the button were futile to fulfil his wish.

      When Daehyun stepped out of the residential building, he was too late. Youngjae had already left his sight – there was only the mercilessly pouring rain waiting for, with a faint hint of friendliness, the helpless boy who only had his door keys and a few bank notes in his pockets. The grey sky stared down with guilt and pity, somehow, but none of them reached the devastated boy.

      “I… I didn’t mean that…” Daehyun stuttered and fell onto his knees. His heart shattered into a million pieces and pierced through his body. The pain was unbearable. He really didn’t mean to burden Youngjae – he was born talkative perhaps? He liked sharing every bits of his life with Youngjae, including the sad parts which he thought was the most important to share – people had always told him to share happiness and sadness. He didn’t mean to hurt Youngjae with his rash and careless rants. The hatred was intended for his boss, not Youngjae.

      But you yelled at Youngjae and he didn’t deserve that, the sky whispered. Daehyun stopped his trains of thoughts for a second and realized the fact too. He shouldn’t have told Youngjae how he was isolated after having his… ual orientation revealed in his workplace. It was as if Youngjae had to bear the responsibility because he was his very lover. He really shouldn’t have.

***

The boys huddled together on the couch watching dull, mundane late night television shows. They were enjoying, though. Not the television show, but each other’s sole presence. Youngjae leaned on Daehyun’s shoulder and relaxed in his arms, sharing the everlasting warmth radiated from his body. When Youngjae did this, Daehyun would always nuzzle into the younger’s hair and smiled from the bottom of his heart. He loved Youngjae so much that he could only express it by showering kisses on the younger. What made this even more amazing was the fact that Youngjae felt exactly the same. They would never, ever, ever fall apart, Daehyun thought confidently.

        “Who am I to you, Jae-ah.” Daehyun asked softly like a purr. Youngjae hummed for a while before he opened his mouth to answer the question. Daehyun’s heart skipped a beat.

        “You are my ocean. When I see the ocean I see you.” Youngjae said, his sophisticated mind running again. Daehyun wasn’t in the mood to complain about this though; he was in the mood to listen to his lover’s clever epiphanies.

        “Why?” As expected, Daehyun asked, surprisingly enthusiastically this time, for an elaboration on this fresh idea. Youngjae chuckled at the older boy’s sudden eagerness to dig deep.

        “Hmm… Nevermind, you wouldn’t want to know that.” Daehyun pouted when he heard this undesirable, careless answer. “But you are indeed my ocean, my stunningly beautiful ocean.” Youngjae added, wanting to flatter Daehyun. Daehyun grinned happily and contentedly.

        “Does that make you my sky? You look at the sky so much that I see you when I see the sky, baby.” Daehyun joked and flirted with his overflowing greasiness.

        “But you can see the sky almost everywhere.” Youngjae contested his idea.

        “Then I see you everywhere.” Youngjae sighed defeatedly when he received his answer – this boy was too oily and greasy for him. He almost had to immediately go on a diet so that he wouldn’t get heart diseases. Well, that was exaggeration. Youngjae liked it when Daehyun talk like that, no matter how embarrassing it was on his side – there was no one else watching anyway.

        “Really? Then I’d be glad to be your sky.” The younger said.

        “Wait no.”

        “What’s wrong Dae?

        “I have a better metaphor.”

        “What is it?” Youngjae genuinely anticipated.

        “You are the hole to my–”

        “Yah Jung Daehyun you ert I hate you!” Youngjae pushed Daehyun away and ran into the room with Daehyun following closely behind. The latter closed the door and that night they fell asleep later than usual.

        Little did Daehyun know, he was Youngjae’s ocean, because the ocean evaporated the most water into the sky.

***

Daehyun woke up from the haunting flashbacks with a throbbing head. He remembered every tiny detail and conversation he’d have with Youngjae and he even jotted down metaphors he didn’t understand in a notebook hidden from Youngjae’s reach. He dug deep into his memories to find a helpful metaphor and he discovered that there was one in the flashback just now.

        “You are my ocean. When I see the ocean I see you.”

        Ocean, Daehyun said, dumbfounded. There was no ocean in Seoul. What about the Han River? The boy tried hard to remind himself of his memories with Youngjae related to the famous river and one crossed his mind – the park. Daehyun thought he must be right. Without hesitation, he dashed out to the road and hired a taxi. Well, more like intruding into an innocent taxi.

        “Wow mister chill. Where do you want to go?” The driver took a quick glance on the boy to look at his drenched, clumsy appearance.

        “Yeoui-do Park please.” Daehyun managed to say with his heart racing with his lungs to compete for higher efficiency. Please be there. Please.

        “You sure you don’t need an umbrella?” Daehyun shook his head, but remembered that the driver wasn’t looking at him, so he muttered a “no” as he took the box of tissue paper from the driver’s helpful hand and started wiping his face. He hated moisture, but this was for the sake of Youngjae.

***

“Hey!” Daehyun called Youngjae for the third time and was relieved that Youngjae wasn’t deaf when he finally responded with a quiet hum. They were strolling around in Yeoui-do Park under the same umbrella and it wasn’t that normal to be unable to hear Daehyun’s sharp voice.

        “What is it?” Youngjae asked, looking at the owner of the arm his arm was linked to. He was too busy listening to the rain hitting onto their umbrella. He liked the rain. However he didn’t like the fact that they were here in the park on a rainy day solely for the purpose of not being stared at even if they kiss one another – the park was always empty on rainy days. He hated how Daehyun was so concerned about the secrecy of their obviously not secret relationship. He betted most people in their lives knew, thanks to Daehyun’s blabbermouth.

        “I was talking to you about my parents’ invitation to you for a dinner at their place.” Daehyun said with worries and concern in his eyes, involuntarily gulping as he waited for Youngjae’s reaction.

        “To me? Are you serious? I’m your girlfriend in their eyes, am I not?” Youngjae frowned. Daehyun was a person like that. Had he forgotten that his parents had to accept that he was dating a guy too? Daehyun wasn’t the only person suffering in this relationship. It was a two-way thing.

        “Well…”

        “I don’t think you’ve told them I’m a freaking guy. Not a beautiful, youthful, pretty girl.”

        “I told them actually.” Youngjae’s eyebrows rose in surprise.

        “Are… Are you serious?”

        “Yes. They gave us their blessings.”

        “Really?” Youngjae jumped happily and pulled Daehyun into a big hug without waiting for an answer, tossing their umbrella onto the ground. They needed no cover for this kiss. It wasn’t like there was somebody watching anyway. “Do I have to dress up or something?”

        Daehyun laughed at the sudden realistic question, “No, baby, you’re pretty enough as your usual self. I want my parents to know that I am dating a beautiful person whom does not require any pretty clothes and makeup to look pretty, okay? I want them to know I am dating a perfect being and make both of them jealous.” Youngjae giggled at his boyfriend’s silliness and picked up the umbrella.

       The rain stopped.

***

Daehyun paid the driver and left the vehicle. All he could hear was the endless noise of the rain hitting the ground. Usually Daehyun would find the sound distracting and boring, but today it seemed like a symphony to cheer on him.

        As the sky cried its tears out, the burden lessened. And so did Youngjae’s sadness.

빗소리가 목소린지
Is this rain sound your voice?
부르는 소린지
Is it the sound of you calling me?
나만 생각하니
Am I the only one thinking about you?
비가 나를 위로해줄까
Is this rain going to comfort me?
이런 맘을 알까
Do you know how I feel?
자꾸 니가 생각나
I keep think of you

 

Youngjae sat by river after his round trip in the familiar park. The park he had spent so much time in, had so much memories in. His drenched umbrella lied by his side, quietly keeping his company. He was sitting under the canopy created by a bridge and just stared at all the water surrounding him. Anger and sadness faded and transformed to sourness. It felt worse. The rain falling from the sky was blurring his view, but he didn’t mind. To him, it was nice to not see clearly for a while. He needed rest. The cacophony of life bothered him and he was so tired, too tired to continue without a little break.

      The boy, however, thought that it was a pity that this break wasn’t a treat for himself for his efforts in dealing with his life – but an escape from the one who loved him as much as he loved him back. Of course, he was too angry to talk to Daehyun just now. That boy was too inconsiderate and blind, Youngjae thought. It hurt so much. It hurt especially much when Daehyun couldn’t seem to understand him. He didn’t want to express his feelings frankly and bluntly because that was what Daehyun did and to the older boy’s ignorance, the outcome wasn’t that great. The younger boy sighed and swung his feet dangling in the air in an anxious manner. He missed Daehyun so much, but he needed his punishment. He needed time to digest Youngjae’s hints and metaphors too, right? Nonetheless, Youngjae truly wished that Daehyun would come and take him back home. Even without changing a bit. Yes, he loved the rain, but it was less, almost no fun watching the raindrops alone. Having an umbrella made things worse. An umbrella was divided into two sides by the handle, and standing alone on one side didn’t feel right. Where was the person who always stood on the other side, balancing the umbrella? Youngjae was desperate to know.

***

Daehyun rented a bicycle and cycled around the park in search of the boy he loved. “Young fellow, are you sure this isn’t a prank?” The question of the shopkeeper echoed in his mind and he realized how ridiculous his act was. Who would believe that you wanted to cycle in the rain, for business? Although it was a different kind of business, Daehyun’s choice of word wasn’t the best, but it did the job.

      “I promise I’ll ride the bicycle safely!” Daehyun announced as he stuffed his remaining money into the man’s hand as deposit and hopped on the wobbly clutter of metal parts before him.

      “Young people nowadays…” The middle-aged man sighed as he quickly hid the money in his pocket, silently wishing that Daehyun wouldn’t come back, so that he would get the whole sum of money he received. The young boy came back in the blink of an eye and for a second the man thought his wish was shattered. Daehyun let out an embarrassed, airy laugh.

      “Have you seen a purplish-grey haired boy passing by?” He needed some kind of direction to start with, correct or not.

      “You.”

      “I don’t mean me, I mean other than me.”

      “Yes? Yes I think I did. Why?” The man muttered with his fingers pointing towards somewhere behind the hasty boy.

      “That side? Thank you!” Daehyun neglected the question and disappeared with the bicycle.

      It wasn’t easy to ride a bicycle in the rain, especially with one of such quality. His clothes were heavy since they were soaked in rain water, the lack of friction between the wheels and the ground made it easy to slip, not to mention the instability of the bicycle itself. Despite all those, Daehyun bit his lower lip and continued on his task.

***

Youngjae got up on his feet and brushed off the dirt sticking on his trousers. The umbrella was soon picked up and rolled into a perfectly shaped form. Tapping the end of the umbrella on the ground, Youngjae debated whether or not should he use the umbrella. Turning around to face the park, Youngjae sighed again: Had Daehyun given up on him? Was Daehyun starting to hate him? He decided that Daehyun wouldn’t, and his confidence grew. Daehyun would definitely find him, definitely.

      And his dream came true.

      Instead of a white horse, his prince approached him riding a flimsy bicycle rented from God-knows-where. Giving in, Daehyun hopped off the bicycle and dashed eagerly towards the standing boy. “I’m sorry,” he broke into tears, unable to bury his feelings no more.

      “I was so wrong

      The younger boy pulled him into a long and silent hug. “It’s okay”, Youngjae whispered, “It really is.”


Thank you so much for reading!
As you might have noticed, I'm experimenting a new style and I hope I'll receive some feedbacks as guidelines to improve! ^^
I will add an extra chapter if this story receives enough comments c:

Have a nice day! ♥