The Meeting

Stay

 

“I need a new school” Hyunhee sighed to herself as she was packing up some boxes. She sat down on an old chair as she pulled out a list of schools. “Hmm...... Let’s see well maybe this one will do, Junwa High.” Hyunhee had been to so many schools ever since she was 14; she was always very self dependent, as no one was there to take care of her, her parents were neglectful and uncaring, they weren’t even there half the time and one day her mother died, her father a bit later after that, attempted suicide, she was 9 at this time and she was taken away to be put in an orphanage.

 

At age 13 she had already tried to run away from that orphanage nearly 33 times then when she turned 14, she finally escaped and decided to live her life as normal as possible. She went to school like any other kid but she had to make money somehow so she would try and pickpocket people but most of the time it didn’t work. Eventually when she was 16 she was getting good grades and wasn’t living too bad either, although, she didn’t feel comfortable staying in one place for too long so she kept on moving schools and apartments.

 

“Oh no!” exclaimed Hyunhee. “I’m going to be late for my first day of school!” She said worryingly as she grabbed a piece of bread and ran out the door. She put it in and strapped on her watch. She quickly ate it and was on her way to school in a hurry.

 

She was eventually at school and the teacher introduced her to the class. “Attention everyone!” Said the teacher loudly. “This is our new student, Hyunhee Jung. She is going to spend the last couple of months of her final year in high school here at Junwa High. I would appreciate it if you would be kind and considerate to her, thank you.” As the teacher was speaking all Hyunhee did was look for a good seat in the class and see all of the stereotypes: the smart ones, nerds, athletes, average, mean, kind and all of the sub-groups in between. She found a good seat that wouldn’t make her seem nerdy or arrogant but she didn’t want to make friends so she sat at the very side and in the middle row, she liked sitting near the window so that when she dazed off to clear her mind, she could enjoy some scenery thinking deeply about her life.

 

The lunch bell went, then suddenly Hyunhee realised that she had forgotten her lunch at home in her forgetful hurry, she didn’t really want to leave the classroom to go to the cafeteria, because she knew that people would want to introduce themselves and talk, but she needed to eat, so she left to the cafeteria. When she got there she realised that most the dishes that they had were not exactly her favourite. Then suddenly from behind she heard “Not very appetising is it?” Hyunhee turned around and saw a girl from her class, she wasn’t sure of her name though. “Hi, I’m Soonkyu Lee, nice to meet you.” Hyunhee wasn’t very sure how to reply as she didn’t really talk to people much and was very awkward. “Uh... hi, I’m Hyunhee Jung.” Hyunhee said little by little.

 

“Yes I know. I never like to eat cafeteria food either, that’s why I always make sure that I bring my own lunch,” Soonkyu said, “So do I.” Hyunhee said. “But I forgot my lunch at home, so I thought that I’d buy some food here, but now I don’t think I will.” Hyunhee explained. “Hey, why don’t I give you some of my food?” Soonkyu suggested, “Uh ... really?” Hyunhee asked, “Sure!” Soonkyu replied.

 

It was a very strange first day for Hyunhee; she had made friends with nearly everyone in her class, (mainly because Soonkyu knew almost everyone in school and wanted to introduce Hyunhee to them), although Hyunhee didn’t want to make many friends, she didn’t mind meeting them, but she just wasn’t very good at saying goodbyes or explaining her complicated life so she tried not to have any close friends.

 

At home she got ready for work and left, she had a Friday night and weekend shift at a small bakery as a checkout-girl. She didn’t have much time for herself but she didn’t mind. On Sunday evenings she would finish early, that was when she’d do left over school work and when she would finish she would finally have time for herself, she liked to draw so she would usually sketch a nice scenery, however the first day of school left her feeling strange, so she decided to go for a walk and maybe see the new neighbourhood.

 

Hyunhee was walking and saw a little girl all alone crying. Hyunhee wasn’t sure what to do but she knew that she had to help her. Hyunhee went up to her and asked, “Are you ok?” the little girl looked up at Hyunhee, “I’m lost” the little girl said, sobbing. “I was with my brother walking home and I accidentally let go of my balloon and I was chasing after it and when I turned around I couldn’t see him.” The girl said sadly. “Do you remember where you saw him last?” Hyunhee asked.

 

“I was with him over at a lake last but I don’t know where it is.” The little girl replied.

 

“Don’t worry, I know where it is, I just walked past it before, lets hurry before it gets dark.” Hyunhee assured.

 

Hyunhee and the little girl walked past the lake and looked around for the girl’s older brother. Eventually, they saw a boy looking around frantically.

 

“Suho!” The little girl shouted.

 

“Is that him?” Hyunhee asked. “Yes.” The girl answered.

 

“Oh Lauren, oh finally I found you, don’t you ever run off like that again, okay?!" Suho exclaimed. “Thank you so much for helping my little sister, I am Suho Kim, and this is my little sister, Lauren Kim.” Suho said, “And who might you be?” Suho asked.

 

"I’m Hyunhee Jung.”