chapter 2

Stay

 

As Hyunhee was washing the dishes, she couldn’t help but think about that little girl’s older brother Suho and how they just so happened to go to the same school and she couldn’t stop thinking about his warm gentle smile and how much he cared.

Hyunhee always wanted someone like that to care for her, she didn’t really have much people worrying about her, and she always wondered what it would feel like for someone to actually, genuinely care about her.

A tear rolled down her cheek and splashed into the dish water, Hyunhee hardly ever cried, the last time that she cried was when her mother died, although her mother didn’t care about her much, it was still hard for a young child to lose her mother, and when her father attempted suicide she didn’t understand very well, so she didn’t know how to react, she just called for somebody to help her.

She thought about those moments nearly all of the time, she knew she had to move on from that, but her early exposure to impermanence continued to define her life, and that was the implement that didn’t allow her to feel comfortable around people and it prevented her from getting too close to anyone.

Hyunhee was walking out of class when she saw Suho, he was walking with his friends Hyunhee wanted to talk to him but she didn’t know how,  then a girl came up to him and asked him if he wanted to go out.

“Uh sorry, I’m kind of busy tonight, but thank you for asking.” Suho answered.

Hyunhee was confused why Suho didn’t go out with her, she appeared to be very nice and she was also pretty. Perhaps he doesn’t really like her for some reason. Hyunhee thought to herself.

“Suho are you kidding me! Why did you just turn her down like that! Is there something wrong with you! Oh well, at least you can come out with us tonight to this party.” Suho’s friend said agitatedly

“Uh actually, I'm really busy tonight but maybe next time?” Suho said

“What! That’s what you say all the time.” His friend argued.

“It’s just that I have lots of study to do and some assignments.” Suho explained.

“Hmm that’s strange” Hyunhee thought to herself as she was just about to leave, when unexpectedly Soonkyu appeared.

“Hey Hyunhee, would you like to come with me and some friends to this party at my house?” Soonkyu suggested.

Then suddenly Suho noticed Hyunhee and talking to Soonkyu about the party “I wonder if Hyunhee is going to that party? I really wish I could go with her.” Suho thought to himself.

“Oh uh sorry I have to work” Hyunhee indicated.

“Oh ok, but next time you have to come alright?” Soonkyu insisted.

“Ah, yeah sure.” Hyunhee said.

Hyunhee was feeling strange about how Suho was acting at school, but she had to go to work so she tried to forget about it. At the bakery, Hyunhee felt drained, there weren’t much people at the shopping centre that evening and her boss had to leave early so he told Hyunhee to close up the shop at 7:00. It was 6:50 and Hotaru was getting ready to leave and close up shop for the night, but then, she heard someone call out,

“Hey! Wait, please don’t close yet!”

Hyunhee turned around and saw the little girl from the other night, Lauren, she was running over to the shop;

I wonder what she is doing here? And is she all by herself?”  hyunhee worried.

“Lauren! Don’t run off like that! Do even you remember what happened last time? Exclaimed Suho.

“But the shop is about to close and we have to get a cake!” Lauren argued.

“Ugh, I know but just be careful I don’t want to lose you again, ok?”

Hyunhee overheard what Suho was saying to his little sister and she began to tear up, but she had to wipe her tears away quickly because they were coming over to the bakery.

“Oh, Hyunhee do you work here?” Suho asked.

“Huh? Oh yeah, umm, I was just actually about to leave and close up shop for the night” Hyunhee replied.

“What, you can’t do that! We need a cake!” Lauren demanded.

“Huh? Oh, that’s no problem, what kind of cake would you like?” Hyunhee ensured.

“We need a chocolate cake with icing sugar and strawberries please.” Lauren replied.

“Sure.” said Hyunhee “Here’s your cake and that will be $7.50"

"Oh uh we don’t have enough." Suho said disappointedly.

“That’s fine I will give you a discount, after all its just going to get thrown out if no one buys it.” Hyunhee said.

“Really, Thank you!” Lauren said happily.

“Ok here’s your cake.” Hyunhee said kindly.

“Thank you, you won’t get in trouble for this will you?” Suho said worryingly.

“Of course not. Don’t worry.” Hyunhee replied.

“I am very thankful that you are walking me home Suho, but you don’t have to.” Hyunhee said embarrased

“I do. Someone as cute as you shouldn’t be walking home at night all alone; it’s not safe and besides your house is on the way to mine.” Suho stated.

“Well could I at least hold that cake for you? After all you are carrying Lauren on your back.” Hyunhee asked.

“sure, why not” Suho said.

“Lauren is lucky to have you as an older brother, you’re always there for her, when she’s tired and can’t walk you carry her and when she is lost you don’t give up looking until you find her. I wish I had someone like that growing up.” Hyunhee said unknowingly.

“What do you mean?” Suho said worryingly.

“Huh? Oh nothing, umm anyway I was wondering what this cake is for, is it Lauren’s birthday?” Hyunhee said franticly trying to change the subject.

“Uh yeah it’s her birthday; we had so much fun but I forgot the cake so we went to buy one.” Suho said. “That’s nice what did she get?” she got some stuffed animals some toys and some new clothes.” Suho said.

Before she knew it Hyunhee was at her house.

“Well this is my place” Hyunhee said awkwardly. “Ok then I will see you at school tomorrow.” She continued

“Ok bye.” Suho said shyly “Hey umm Hyunhee, you wouldn’t mind if I came by here tomorrow and walked to school with you, would you?” Suho asked.

“Yeah, sure why not. I don’t mind.” Hyunhee said calmly although she was overflowing with joy on the inside.

“Ok, great I will see you tomorrow morning.” Suho said happily.

Hyunhee waved one last goodbye and went inside. Hyunhee was so happy that Suho was going to walk her to school from now on, she thought she could almost cry she was so happy, but as she locked the door behind her, she realised that she actually was crying Hyunhee thought to herself “Why am I crying like this? I'm not sad”.

But then she realised, that she was crying tears of joy, and it was the first time in her life that she had ever done so, and when she realised this, she realised that she was getting too close to Suho, that she was getting too comfortable in her house and at school, and she had realised that she felt like she wanted to stay, but just the thought of that made her feel uneasy, and she knew  she had to do something about it fast.