Stand on Your Ground

Hourglass: Behind Story

 

“That’s is ‘Ireokeung Jeoreokung’ by Hourglass. Now let’s give a big hand to our special guests, the rising girl group, Hourglass!” The DJ said once the song ended.

“Annyeong haseyo, Hourglass imnida!” The girls said enthusiastically.

“Please introduce yourself.”

“Annyeong haseyo, Hourglass’s leader, Jung Sehee imnida.” Sehee said coolly.

“Annyeong haseyo, Hourglass’s sunshine, Mai imnida!” Mai said cutely, the perfect opposite tone of the leader.

“Annyeong haseyo, Hourglass’s lead vocalist, Go Eunsung imnida,” Eunsung said politely.

“Annyeong haseyo, Hourglass’s lead dancer, Kwon Yumi imnida.” Yumi said cheerfully.

“Annyeong haseyo, Hourglass’s y diva, Song Soomi imnida,” Soomi said huskily, erupting laughter.

“The way you introduced yourself, it’s different. Why is that?”

“It’s the concept that’s given to us.” Soomi told.

“Does the company give it to you or you can choose them?” The girls looked at each other.

“The company will suggest it to you and if you don’t want it, you can further discuss with them.” Sehee answered.

“So, your concept is?”

“Hmm, charismatic leader maybe?” Sehee said and laughed lightly. “It’s so weird, coming from my own mouth.” She told.

“Yeah, Sehee unnie is our charismatic and cold leader.” Mai said.

“And Mai here, has taken Yumi’s place as the maknae.” Sehee said.

“Why is that?”

“I don’t like to do aegyo.” Yumi unconsciously pouted.

“Aren’t you doing that right now?”

“She’s naturally cute.” Soomi said and ruffled Yumi’s hair earning a playful glare from the younger girl.

“So what’s your concept, Yumi ssi?”

“My concept is…” Yumi trailed off.

“A rebellious teenager.” Sehee interjected.

“A hard-headed, rebellious teenager.” Soomi said.

“A warm-hearted but hard-headed, rebellious teenager.” Mai concluded.

“They always bully me.” Yumi said and the older girls laughed.

“If only we have a camera set up in the dorm…” Mai trailed off and the girls started to protest, and laughed at the inside jokes.

“Uri Eunsung is quiet, what do you think about this?”

“That’s her concept. She has to stay quiet.” Soomi told and Eunsung laughed.

“My manager told me to keep quiet and just smiled or laughed…” Eunsung said with a laugh.

“But it’s alright, today you can talk.” Sehee told.

“Okay, we’ll talk about one thing about you that are hard to believe. We’ll start with Soomi.”

“When I said I’m single.” Soomi said and they laughed. “All the fans and even my manager think that I’m in a relationship.” Soomi explained.

“Aren’t you?” Sehee asked and wiggled her eyebrows at the younger girl.

“The leader knows something! What is it?”

“I don’t know, a man with initial J…” She mumbled and Soomi hushed her.

“But seriously, I’m single.” Soomi said with a laugh.

“Unnie is promoting.” Yumi pointed out and Soomi smacked her arm lightly.

“What about you, Yumi ssi?”

“Hmm, when I first come to SM, they don’t believe that I can dance. I was very hurt at that time.”

“Really? Who didn’t believe that you can dance?”

“Soomi unnie.” Yumi joked.

“What about our quiet Eunsung?”

“I have a black belt in Taekwando.” Eunsung stated and the DJ gasped.

“Now, this is really unbelievable!” The DJ exclaimed and the girls laughed. “Mai ssi?”

“Everyone finds it hard to believe that I like to pull pranks and create mischiefs.” Mai said and the girls groaned.

“The fans didn’t even believe us! They really think Mai is the quiet type at dorm.” Soomi said earning laughter from Mai.

“What about the leader?”

“No one believes that she does aegyo.” Soomi interjected before Sehee can talk. The older girl just laughed and shrugged.

“Well, you’re certainly not someone that does aegyo.” The DJ stated.

“Yes, I don’t do aegyo. Soomi, stop throwing lies.” Sehee joked with a stern voice.

“I have known her the longest and Boa can confirm it.” Soomi further told.

“I can’t imagine that.” Mai joked.

 “So, out of all of you, who started training first?” The DJ asked.

“It’s Soomi unnie.” Mai said.

“Then Sehee entered just a week after me.” Soomi said. “Yumi entered in 2001 with Eunsung and Mai entered a year later.”

“But Eunsung unnie has trained in JYP before she entered SM right?” Mai asked.

“Yes, I trained in JYP for three years before I was transferred to SM.” Eunsung said.

“There were actually more girls that were supposed to be in Hourglass, but one by one, they were eliminated.” Sehee said.

“Right, there was Cho Chaerin, my best friend, she was so close in debuting. I wish all the best for her.”

“Then there’re many other girls who are still training, I wish them all the best.” Sehee said.

“I have a brother who is currently training. I really hope he can debut soon.” Mai told.

“Really? An older brother or a younger brother?”

“An oppa. He’s two years older than me.” Mai answered.

“So is there any ill feelings-” The DJ asked and Mai laughed.

“No, of course not. He does sometimes seem to envy me but that only inspires him more. Oppa, hwaiting!” Mai said. “And my oppa is really good looking.” She added with a laugh.

“We’ll come back right after this favourite song from all the fans, ‘Wishing’.”

~*~*~*~**~*~

“So, is Hourglass the female version of DBSK? Since you have five members and DBSK also have five members.”

“I really want Hourglass to be known as Hourglass, not the female version of DBSK.” Sehee said firmly.

“So are you paired or what?”

“You can say it like that. We can do activities together which is so much fun.” Soomi said.

“Are you close with them?”

“Yeah, they are very friendly and fun, so it’s not hard to get along with them.” Mai said. “But nowadays, it’s hard to see them since everyone is busy.”

“Do you have other celebrity friends that are not from your company?”

“I do make friends with others when I go to variety shows.” Soomi said.

“And I still contact those who were close with me when I filmed dramas…” Sehee said.

“I think it’s because we don’t really have another group that is around the same age as us, that’s why it’s hard for us to make friends.” Mai deduced and the girls made the sound of agreeing.

“There’s a new group, Miss Valentine. Some of them are the same age as you, right?”

“Yeah, but there are too many people. It’s hard for us to really remember.” Soomi said with a laugh.

“The leader is the same age as mine, and she and Haera used to train in SM too,” Sehee said.

“There are many 89’ liners right?”

“Yeah, but we still don’t have a time to really bond. We only met them at backstage right?” Yumi said.

“Right, and when we congratulated them on their debut.” Soomi said.

“What do you think of them?” The DJ asked and the girls looked at each other.

“I think they are nice,” Soomi said and laughed. “I don’t know, I don’t know them that well yet.” She said.

“I think we can get along. I hope we can get along in the future.” Eunsung said.

“What about their talents? Will you say you’re better than them?” The DJ asked Eunsung.

“I think everyone is better in their own way.” Eunsung said.

“Do you think of them as a rival, Sehee ssi?”

“It’s a trap question isn’t it?” Sehee laughed. “They have just debuted, so I wish them all the best. It’s still too soon to take them as rivals but we won’t underestimate them. We’ll work harder and harder for our fans and Hourglass.”

“You have you comeback a week after their debut? Why is that?”

“You have to know that we have planned everything since last year. Soomi is going to film her first movie, Cello, I hope fans will anticipate it and support our dear vocalist. And then we’ll debut in Japan and I hope the fans will wish us the best of luck.” Sehee explained.

“Okay, it’s time for goodbyes. I wish Hourglass all the best.”

“Kamsahamnida, this has been Hourglass!” The girls chorused.

*~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~*~**~*

“You girls did well tonight,” Daejung told the leader who was seating beside him.

“Just like you’d expected, they asked us about the new group.” Sehee said.

“Here,” he gave the leader the laptop and Sehee scanned the fan forum. Sehee looked at the side mirror to see most of the members were sleeping and turned her attention back to the laptop screen.

“Most of our antis are becoming Miss Valentine’s fans. They are hoping that the new girl group would beat us,” Sehee said and scrolled down the page. “But Endless is a strong fan base,” she added with a light smirk.

“Your fans are aggressive,” Daejung remarked and the girl laughed, kind of proud with their fans.

“Only to those who bash us,” Sehee said. “Oh my, look at those words. I don’t even know half of it.”

“Make sure the others don’t browse the internet,” Daejung reminded and Sehee nodded. “I don’t get it why they like to browse the anti’s comments instead of the fan café.”

“We, girls, are curious,” Sehee replied absentmindedly. “Even the Cassiopeia is with us. That’s good.”

“That’s good. Some of them really hate you for filming with their oppa.”

“Have you settled with Yoochun issue?” Sehee asked.

“Yes, Myungjun is handling Yoochun. You’ll take care of Yumi,” Daejung said and Sehee nodded, and closed the laptop. Daejung’s phone rang and he answered it.

“Yes, sir. The girls are free on tomorrow evening. Alright.”

“What is it?” Sehee asked.

“You’ll have a follow-up album. We have to make sure you stand strong before going to Japan,” Daejung said.

“Okay," Sehee said tiredly.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Bam bam bam bam! Yes, I’m alive ><