CH.1 Clearance

Ticking Time

We often wonder if there's life after death, whether our souls leaves it's vessel when we die. And if it is so where do our souls travel to afterwards? 

One word.
 
Bob
 
The almighty being of all great powers, God. He likes to refer to himself as Bob. 
 
All the souls are collected by Angels, sometimes referred to as Bob's waterboys, but just as Bob has his preference, we have ours.  We prefer being called soul collectors.
 

After you pass away you become a soul collector. In the occasion where you don't want to reincarnate and follow the task of a soul collector you have the option of becoming Bob's personal assistant. As his personal assistant your job would be to tend to God's every request. If you choose to become Bob's personal assistant and somewhere along the line you want to be reincarnated the option is open to you at any given time after you clear the amount of souls that are assigned to you.

The amount of souls you are assigned to collect before you can reincarnate is the same amount of bad deeds you have committed in your previous lifetime. I had a total of 78,263 souls to collect, being born into a huge family of mafia descent didn't help with keeping the number count low.

 

Since we don't have names here we're addressed by the number of souls that we must collect. The numbers are conveniently always hovering above our arms. If you're wondering  'If the number of bad deeds are too long, how would that work?" 

Let me enlighten you. The number starts off  wrapping around your left wrist spiraling all around your body and overlapping if necessary. Trust me, I've seen exactly one man out of all of the years I've been here with so many bad deeds that it spiraled around his entire body nearly covering him completely. It's quite an intimidating sight .

If I remembered correctly his name in his previous life was rumored to be Hit..Hither? Hit something I believe. He's apparently been here for a long long time now but still has a long way to go before reincarnation is even an option. In the ominous fate where two or more soul collector has the same amount of souls to be collected  they are to be reborn as twins unless one or both choose to no be reincarnated. 

Before reincarnating you are suppose to think and wish very strongly of the type of life you want to lead in your next life so you can be reincarnated into a family that fits accordingly, if you're lucky you'll get just that. If you don't and your mind wanders for even a split second - the percentage of you being reincarnated into a family you wouldn't want has just drastically increased and most of the time the odds will be against you. You have to have a strong will to get what you want. This rule applies in Heaven and on Earth.

 

Unlike the human world our age is at halt for our lifespan has ended.  Even after death we retain the same form of the life we previously lived. Though time here moves the same as the human world often times it would feel as though it's faster. An abundance of new soul's entering through our gates. There is never a tranquil day up here. I'm not even sure if we're considered up, I am un aware of our location for it often times just feel like a  continuously revolving dimension. 

 

There is no place such as Hell. When we die we all go to the same place, only difference is the amount we'd have to pay for when we arrive here. The afterlife is much more forgiving then common day religions make it out to be. There are many mortal misconceptions. If you're also wondering who judges what is considered a bad deed and what isn't, I'm just as clueless as you are. We simply leave that to the higher ups. Like any government I'm sure its a partially broken system.

 

I'm ready to start a new life, no pun intended. Since I've been collecting souls for the long haul now, I have received something similar to a human's job promotion. I became a guardian angel. Not like the ones in books and movies where we are assigned to a human and have to watch over them etc. That job goes to heaven's watch dogs.

My job was to train and take care of new soul collectors if they just didn't get the memo, ​mostly just taking over for them if they couldn't get  the job done. Ya know guardian..of an angel - guardian angel *nods nods*. The other collectors and even some angels come to me for advice, believe or not there's more drama up here then you think there would be. When you have nothing but time you're bound to have nothing but drama tsk tsk.

 

After all of my hard work and commitment, I have  just one more soul till I am allowed to reincarnate and have a normal life. Bob sent for me to have a brief before my last soul. As I make my way to Bob's office I take in the beautiful decor. Striding through the luxurious high ceiling halls that have always been tastefully decorated and draped with grapevines that never wither.Silently gawking at the beauty that surrounds me here never gets old. Suddenly my mind became flooded with memories I've created while being a soul collector.

My first friend at this strange place was a pretty, funny, and cool guy - much like myself *coughs*. He had a nice taller than me stature, very nice clear skin, and eyes that felt like a vacuum constantly you in to the other side~ No I didn't have a crush on him he's just one of those people that are too beautiful for their own good. He finished his last soul about a year ago. He was a good friend, probably a better friend then any of the ones I had in my previous life (maybe because he wasn't a part of the mafia and a lot more sane). Even though he was here before I arrived there was often times I had to accompany him to collect a soul, not that I minded. I always enjoy his company. A goof ball with a pure heart. He told me he'd reincarnate in the country of South Korea, so I'm thinking of going there also. He didn't tell me if he was going to reincarnate as a Male or Female though..so we'll see how the wheel of fate plays out.

 

Since he has been reincarnated, all of his memories of here and his previous life has been erased. Soon my memories will be gone too. I wonder if we'll meet each other again when I get down there. Luckily we're allowed to choose the region in which we would like to be born. He or possibly she should be a year older than me if I've been counting correctly. 

As I was deep in thought I realized I  arrived in front of Bob's office when my face greeted the beautiful modern styled  HARD wood double door hulk smash style. Pleasant - very pleasant.

I knocked on the door twice before entering his office. Compared to the modern entrance door ,the room strangely was decorated to fit an old Roman style that had big tall windows plastered all around it. To my surprise Bob was engaging in a game of connect four.. with his secretary angel Spar.. on the coffee table.. that laid directly in the middle of the office.

I've always thought these more... higher being's would play something more strategically challenging .. like chess or something? My thoughts were abruptly interrupted by a loud voice calling to me a bit too excitedly

 

"AH! 78,263! You've came. I was wondering how long you were going to stare at the door after running in to it HAHA!"  With obvious amusement in his voice I briefly retaliated with a cold stare. Bob nervously clears his throat before he continues

"Well then, I wanted to tell you to be careful on your last mission. This soul is a tainted soul and must not be taken lightly."

Confusion forms on my face. With my eyebrows furrowed and my eyes slightly squinted  "Tainted soul?" I slightly shake my head as if to clear the confusion before continuing "I've never heard of such a thing"

For a moment there was nothing but silence. Bob looked at me with concern in his eyes.

" 78,263 .. Tainted souls only emerge every hundred thousand years. Its a taboo to speak of them otherwise. For a long time this soul had been hiding very well in the shadows while causing great mischief in the human world, but not long ago it finally showed up on our radars. After some discussion with my committee we decided to send you. I trust that with your centuries of experience you are capable of finishing the job no matter the level of difficulty. Remember to not speak to the person and just carry on your task since those near death can see you. After you are done the soul will be sent to me - along with your scythe and I will handle it from there. You will be transported to the room of redemption as soon as I receive the soul & scythe. Good luck dear"

Before I realized it, I was engulfed in a bright and blinding warm light. Once I opened my eyes - a sweet looking European style cottage  surrounded by a wide flower field greeted me. With my mind still boggled in confusion - I mindlessly walk towards the cottage and entered. After taking brief detours through each room of the cottage I arrived in front of the person whom soul I were to collect. The room didn't show much personality - considering the woman's age I suppose it fits. The room was dimly lit with vintage splashed here and there. Without hesitation I walk towards the side of her bed. As I lifted my scythe into the air something caught my attention. The woman had grey wings that were faded and partially transparent... she was a fallen angel. Laying in her bed she looked up at me and smiled. I was taken aback. She spoke

"Hi there, I see you're holding my life scythe. The only scythe that can obtain the fallen" she chuckled "Did Bob give you my scythe? Of course he did he is the only one aside from me that knows what the life scythe can do"

You froze in shock.

The mysterious woman smirked

"You want my soul? You'll be reincarnated after wont you? I'll grant you a normal and happy life with what power I have left" she grabbed my wrist and I felt an intense wave of heat seep through my skin. I swung my scythe at her- capturing her soul in the process. The scythe and soul was sent off instantly. I looked at the inside of my wrist to see a scar in the shape of a clock with roman numerals imprinted on it.

"18 years" the woman's voice echoed and lingered in my head as shivers ran down my spine, and the scar disappeared.

"What was that?" I said softly to myself as I rubbed my wrist. Another flash of warm blinding light engulfed me once again. I opened my eyes and found myself in the room of Redemption. Finally I can have a normal life.