CH. 2 New World

Ticking Time

Year : 2013

 

It was two months ago on my birthday that my parents skipped out on me and disappeared from the face of the earth. They left me a little note saying "Live well!". I couldn't get in contact with them no matter how hard I tried, even the offices they worked at had not heard from them either.They've always been the spontaneous type leaving me home alone at the age of 12 to go on a mini vacation to the beach. Don't worry this is no tragic sob story, or at least I don't think it out to be. I didn't report it to the police since I'll be turning 18 soon enough and I'm not very fond of the thought of being sent off to a group home or orphanage since I was never informed of any relatives. I still have hopes they'll come back because I trust they wouldn't abandon their only child. Luckily they left me with inheritance of the house and enough money to last me for a couple of months if anything. How convienent right? As if they were planning this all along  -__-

In all honesty I was depressed for the past two months from their disappearance but to survive in this world you can't be in a daze  you must always be aware. I thought everything through and I'm fine now, because.. I  HAVE to live. I was never type to  dwell on something I can't change with stress.

I still go to school and I am currently working at a cafe as a cashier (since they're the only place that would hire me aside from the amusement park that would love for me to be a pig mascot). I occasionally and unluckily have to fill in as a waitress for my lethargic co-worker  *rolls eyes to the back of my head*.

I don't hang out with my friends much anymore. Lately I don't know why but I don't want to socialize or be close to anybody- not because of what happened with my parents but it oddly just feels like something I should do. I'm not too sure of this feeling myself.

 

Even though it's nearing spring, today started raining heavily WHILE I was at work.

So was I prepared for this down pour of a tsunami?

No.

I really wasn't expecting this since the forecast said clear sky and low wind all day. Never trusting the weather woman/man again. The sky was literally clear just two minutes ago, you know how I knew? Because I had to take the freaking trash out. Screw global Warming.

So now here I am hastily making my way home. Sprinting through this rain as if it were acid. Good thing I don't live too far off from the cafe and other local shops. Living near a busy area you can say is pretty convenient. Unless you drive, then it would because a lot of people walk everywhere in this area - so getting through crowds of people with a car can be difficult at times. 

As I was nearing the corner of my neighborhood - leaving the busy main streets be busy; I noticed a familiar cat drenched from the rain huddeling near a street lamp post. It was trembling so much it made it seem like there was a 7.0 earthquake going on. 

Something about the cat drew me in to it. I stepped closer to the cat and its huge moon like eyes were ADORABLE. I realized it reminded me of the kitten that ran away from my house when I was younger. The cat calmly watched me as I approached it . As I reached my hand out to it it swiftly but painlessly clawed - BIT- then ran away from me like it was high off of cat nip or something.

I didn't know how deep its teeth and claws punctured me but there was blood covered on the back of my hand. Everything happened so fast I didn't have time to react. I was really hoping that thing didn't have a disease or disorder that could of infected me.

"Stupid cat, I was just trying to help you out" I angrily mumbled under my breath

It was stomach-turning; I hated the sight of  an abundance of blood (if you're wondering - yes being on my monthly is sheer torture) I headed to the little convenience store just two blocks away from my house. Glad that it's on the way home, I don't need anymore mishaps in this rain ... spoke too soon. Being blinded by the rain I rushed to the entrance of the store not noticing a person exiting from the store. A dark figure bumped into me causing me to trip over my own feet - then landing on my oh so gracefully.

The voice of a male came from this dark figure "Oh I'm sorry"

He extended his hand out to me in attempt to help me up but I shooed it away and got back on my feet with my own extensive power. When I got back on my feet, I took a good look at his face.. boy was he handsome.

Handsome enough to knock me over? No.  He apologized again since I didn't respond the first time. I looked at him dully  because this guy Is still in my way and it is still pouring cats and dogs and he continues  

"I'm really sorry about that, I was rushing out and didn't see you there"

I gave him one good last look

"No "

is all I said as I brushed pass him into the store. Thinking to my self " I was partially at fault..Ahh that was so rude of me.. What's wrong with me? Such a bad habit of mine, why must I always be such an "  When I arrived at the register I was greeted by a lovely 10 octave dolphin shriek

"Ahh! Woah ! What in the world happened to you hand!?"

"Eonni, this stupid cat just mawled my hand and ran off"

"Don't lie to me! Your hand is dripping covered in blood and its dripping all over the counter!" she said as she covered my hand with paper towels.

"Well I didn't come here to paint the counter red *shivers* ugh just the thought is sickening. Can I buy rubbing alcohol, a paper towel roll , some cotton and gauze please?" 

Bora rummages behind the counter before pulling out a first aid kit and placing it on the counter

"Ah~ here just go wrap yourself up before you make this store look like a crime scene. I need to sanitize and wipe this counter down, I'm still on the clock so I can't help you wrap up - not that I don't love you" Bora pouts sticking out her bottom lip cutely while apologzing . I simply shake my head to the apology 

"Thanks eonni ~ This is more than enough"

I grab the kit with my able left hand and walked over to the counter next to the window. I placed the first aid kit on the counter and using my feet to drag the small trash can towards me. I sat down on the cushiony tall rotatable stool in front of the counter. Hovering my hand above the trash can - I poured the rubbing alcohol over my right hand as it disinfect and washes the blood off in the process. That must of been one really dirty cat because it started stinging like there was no tomorrow! I cringed in pain holding back all of the fancy curse words that wanted to escape my mouth. I tried to ignore the pain as I dried my hand with a paper towel then tossed it in the trash can riding the world of another possible cat disease outbreak.

I've been attempting to wrap my hand with the gauze for a good 2-3 minutes now. Since I'm not left handed, I haven't made any progress and my patience is running out. Just as I was about to give up and just let my hand 'Deal with it' a warm hand grabbed the gauze from me. Bora to the rescue.  As I look up..nope not Bora. The guy from earlier sat next to me. He proceeded to turn my stool so that I would be facing him. As I sat there quietly just watching him, he took off and threw away my fail "wrapping". He finished neatly wrapping my hand with new gauze effortlessly within seconds. There was silence for a while then he spoke.

"I see why you were so grumpy earlier"

I looked up at him guiltily "Haha..ha.. sorry" I mumbled now looking down from embarrassment of the memory.

I looked up at him again and lifted my right- now cleanly wrapped hand in front of him "Thank's for this. I'm not left handed so it was a bit difficult for me "

He stared at me for a while then got up and started walking towards the door. He had me baffled with his last words, leaving me in a dazed state.

As he made his way to the exit he stopped in his tracks and turned around. A clear smirk drawn across his face, with that playful but arrogant tone of his he said 

"No "

I managed a chuckle of disbelief after he left. 

"This guy.."