First Steps

Death Note ; Rebirth Of The Shinigami

“What?” I raised an eyebrow at him and all he did was smile cunningly, as though telling me to play along, and that I had no choice. I shifted my eyes slightly, gazing at Reyn and Xera for help but Reyn merely shrugged and Xera could not care less about me as she turned her head away from us. I gulped as I turned to Minho and Calia, removing my hand from Jiyong’s grip.

 

“So you are wooing Heeya now?” Minho’s mouth widened, as though he was too shocked at the fact. Jiyong smiled gently, as though he was being shy about it and I felt pure disgust in my head.

 

“Heeya, I didn’t know you could be this attractive to have a senior come after you.” Calia commented and I scoffed in my mind. Who would want him to come after me? And moreover, I don’t even think he is our senior. He was just lying to pass himself off.

 

“If you guys don’t mind, I would like to borrow Heeya for a bit. Don’t worry, I’ll take good care of her.” He said but he pulled me away even before Minho could open his mouth again. I turned to see Calia and Minho one more time as the volume of the murmurs and whispers increased in the corridors before it faded off as I allowed myself to get pulled out of the building.

 

“Where is the book?” Jiyong muttered as he pulled me along the paths of the school’s front paths.

 

“At my dorm, no duh.” I replied without thinking, feeling annoyed enough.

 

Jiyong suddenly stopped in his footsteps and turned back to me. “Go get the book and meet me up front in ten minutes.” He ordered in a demanding tone and I did as I was told. Ten minutes later, I rushed down to see a white posh car waiting up front. I bent down to look into the window to see Jiyong in the driver’s seat and immediately got onto the car. With no words said, he started driving.

 

Silence overwhelmed the vehicle as he kept driving without talking. Not being able to take it any longer, I turned to him. “Where are we going?” I asked.

 

“My place.” He answered.

 

“Why are we going to your place?” I raised my voice a little, surprised by his answer.

 

“Stop asking so many questions. You are being noisy.” He retorted calmly as he continued driving.

 

Arriving at a high-rise building, Jiyong led me out of the car, grabbing my wrists tightly as he pulled me in every direction that he wanted me to walk. When we finally arrived at his apartment, which one at the penthouse, he pushed me into the house and locked the door.

 

“Go seat on the couch over there.” He said as he pointed towards the living room, which had a long black C-shaped couch that matched with the classy interior design of the space. I slowly walked over to the couch and sat there as I took off my bag and laid it beside me on the couch, listening to his every instruction.

 

Seeing that I did everything that I was told, Jiyong smirked as he walked up to me. “Since when did you decide that you would become so obedient?” he chuckled a little as he took off his white jacket and threw it on the couch, revealing the white tank top he was wearing underneath it. Under the dimmed grand light, I could see his masculine toned body and the tattoos that went well with his image. Wait, was I checking him out? I instantly looked away before he could notice and from how I knew his character to be, he would definitely tease me about it.

 

Taking a seat beside me, he grabbed the remote control and the television. The news was already starting to broadcast and I gulped silently.

 

“Take out the book.” He said sternly and I simply followed his instructions. Laying back against the couch and making himself comfortable against it, he smiled at me. But it was not a kind smile.

 

“Kill them.”

 

I widened my eyes at his words before looking at the screen, realizing what he was talking about. “You want me to kill them?” I said as the names of the recent criminals were being reported on the screen.

“Hurry up.” His eyes shone red as he looked into my eyes. I found myself growing more afraid of him than I should and before I realised it, I was already writing down the names of the criminals. As my hand moved to write the names, I felt myself trembling for I knew that people were dying every 40 seconds and it scares me.

 

“Alright. That’s enough for today.” I heard Jiyong’s voice said as I arrived on the 4th name. I paused in my actions, not saying a word. I wanted to reprimand and tell Jiyong off so badly, but I just could not bring myself to do it. I froze in place, fear overflowing within me. I moved my gaze up towards Reyn and he had this pained look on his face. He looked away from me soon after and I felt myself lowering my head in pain as well.

 

“Heeya.” Jiyong called out to me but I refused to turn to look at him. “Look at me.” He said in a demanding tone. “I said look at me!” he grabbed my arm and turned me, forcing me to look at him. I tensed up under his hold and his eyes widened at me.“Y-You are shivering…” he murmured.

 

“L-Let go of me…” I stammered for the first time in my life, as far as I remembered. I had never been afraid of anything and Minho always told me that I was the bravest girl he had ever known. But today, I started to doubt his words for the first time. Hearing my words, Jiyong’s grip only tightened. I shifted my gaze away from him. Something about him scares me, but I do not know what. I did not seem to be so afraid of him before, but now for some reason, I could not keep my own composure.

 

“Look at me… Please…” Jiyong’s voice seemed much gentler this time, compared to other tones he had used on me ever since I knew him. Calming down a little, I looked back up at him and before I could make another response, I found myself in his embrace. I tensed up again.

 

“I must really scare you…” his voice echoed in my mind as I felt his warm breath against my ear.

 

“Stay with me tonight, will you?”