Keeping Secrets

The Bucket List

My morning clock wakes me. I'm in my room with the poster of the periodic tables, chemical bonding and multiplication table attached to the roof of my room. I take my glasses from my bedside table and sleepily walk towards my bathroom from across the hall. I smell mom's special pancakes and I smell my older sister's morning muffins. It smelled so good. I entered the bathroom and I look at the mirror. 


"What the hell!?" I saw my face filled up with pimples and my braces was back and those ugly, tangles curls on my hair. My face was oily and . . . .


"Loser!" Siwon appeared from behind me, "Loser! Loser! Loser!" then, his friends appeared and I didn't know how they managed to fit inside my bathroom. I placed both of my hands on my ears trying not to listen to them until . . . 


My morning clock wakes me and takes me back to reality. I opened my eyes and quickly stood up from the bed and ran towards my bathroom. I was one hundred percent relieved when I saw my reflection. Except for the dark circles under my eyes and the puffyness of my eyes. 


I breathed in and breathed out. Breathes in and breathed out. I ran my fingers through my hair, not believing what I just saw. God that was the worst dream I’ve had! Ever!


“Holy ” I whispered to myself 
I shook my head and took off my clothes, throwing them in the hamper under the sink. I jumped in the shower and took a long, long bath. As I got out, I hear my phone beep, signalling a reminder for the day. I rolled my eyes and ignored it. 


I wear my robe and a small towel around my hair to dry it off. I proceeded to my walk-in and take a plain white blouse, a grey pencil skirt and a pair of black flats. I wear my clothes and apply a small amount of make-up. 


I take my phone, keys and purse from the table and walk out of my apartment. I head to the elevator and proceed to the lobby. I greet the receptionist with my politest smile. I head to the basement parking lot and take my car to work.

 
It takes me about thirty minutes to get to work, that is, if there’s no traffic. And lucky me, there’s no traffic. I park my car in the basement and head up to my office. My secretary greets me and then I sit back in my desk where, I find it really surprising every day, there’s a about six inch high paper  work in front of me. 
I sigh and I start working. My phone beeps again and I have no other choice but not to ignore it. I take my phone out and look at the reminder. 


“10:00 A.M appointment” it was labelled 
I glanced at my watch and saw that it was nine fifty-three. I still have seven more minutes. I take this opportunity to think. I know I’ve decided not to attend this thing, but hey! I want to rub it in their faces how successful I am in my work. 


I want to make them see how that nerd they’ve bullied has reached her dreams and might be the most successful one in our graduating batch. I want to show them that the girl with braces, tangles hair, oily and pimple faced girl was no more. Nada!

 
“Ms. Shin?” my secretary called 


I smiled up at her, “Yes?”


“Your ten o’clock is here” she smiled 


“Please send her in” I smiled and she nodded. I took my ten o’ clock’s folder. Mrs. Choi Han Hee. She was diagnosed with Cervical Cancer about three weeks ago. She’s been my patient for about four months now because she was pregnant with her first baby.  Thing is, I’ve been seeing her lately but not her husband. I’ve never seen her husband before and it makes me curious and I don’t even know why.

 
“Excuse me?” someone calls and I look up to see Han Hee smiling at me shyly

 
I quickly stand and smile, “Oh, Mrs. Choi, please take a seat” I gestured to the seat in front of me. 
She took a seat and then I did as well, “So, are you finally taking the therapy I was offering you? You need your hus---“ “I can’t” she cut me off 

“I’m sorry,  you’re not taking the therapy?” I looked at her, bewildered 


She nodded with her eyes glued to the floor of my office, “I can’t do that”

 
“Why not?” I was confused. Was she committing suicide?


“My husband . . . he doesn’t know about my illness” 


Woah! What the hell is wrong with her?! I’ve never heard of such stupidity. Ever! She’s never mentioned this to her husband and that is completely wrong in five different ways. If I was in her place, I would’ve called him the second I found out about this. 


“Why didn’t you tell him, Han Hee? This is your life we’re talking about. This is not just a simple cold or fever. This is Cancer” I told her but she just stared at the floor, like it was the one talking to her. I looked at her pale face and saw the fear that lingered through her veins. 


“Mrs. Choi?” I called her attention

 
She doesn’t look at me but she responds, “He can’t . . . he just can’t” she whispers 
I suddenly felt sorry for her. What is it about her husband that makes her scared to tell him about her sickness? Is he abusive? Short-tempered? What?


“Mrs. Choi, I simply cannot allow this. Your husband must know” I say authoritatively 
She shakes her head again, “I won’t go through with Chemo. Even if it’s scheduled after my due date. I won’t” she says 


“Why not?”


She sighs, “If I’m really dying, then there is no point in making my living days feel like hell just by getting medications” she says. 
Point well taken, I must admit. Still, what about the family she will be leaving? What about her new born baby and her husband? 


“Well, Mrs. Choi, what would you want me to do about this?” I asked, studying her unfathomable expression 


“Don’t tell him anything. Just the good stuff, okay?” she reaches for my had that was placed on the desk, “Don’t tell him I’ve been diagnosed with Cancer” she looks at my hand, “ . . . he can’t . . . he’ll be hurt . . .” she whispered


I got the sudden feeling that her whispering was about something else, but hey, who am I to say such, right? I was really unprofessional with agreeing with her but then again, I’m not really in her shoes. She must have a good or at least, a little more rational reason why she would just keep this to herself. 


“Mrs. Choi, I know this is hard, trust me, I know. I’ve had several patients with this kind of problem. This well be handled better with your loved ones beside you” I say honestly. 


She shakes her head, “No. He’ll be really upset. He’s never done anything bad to me and here I am, hurting him like I never really loved him” 


I swallow. I didn’t really know how to respond to her statement, “Mrs. Choi . . .”


Then, her eyes are glued to mine, begging for understanding, “Please . . .”

 

My lunch would usually be either peaceful or satisfying, but today, neither. I was still bothered with my first patient for the day plus, the whole high school reunion thing. I was both bothered and worried. I was bothered with my patient and I was worried about the high school thing. 


“Reunion . . .” I whispered to myself, “ . . . and then . . . there’s my patient” I didn’t know why I was bothered this much about her. Come to think of it, I should be really bothered. I haven’t fully read the patient’s file, but when I was about to after our meeting, a call came for me. I had to place the folder back on my desk and attend to the needs of the other doctors.

 
I sighed and swallowed the last piece of French bread that I’ve been chewing for the past two minutes. I chug down my Coke and head on home. It was Friday so, I would come home earlier than of Mondays to Thursdays. 


As I was driving, I came across another thought about my patient. The way she shivered in fear and it was like the guilt was eating her alive. It was scary. Though, I completely understood why she reacted like that, but it was her choice not to tell her husband about it. Again, I thought, why? 
An abusive husband was the first image that popped in my mind. He was scary, tall, and flaring nose. Thinking about it, she didn’t look like she was scared to get hurt. Actually, she was scared to hurt her husband by lying to him. 
Maybe  he’s nice. Too nice it made you feel guilty just by hiding a cookie behind your back. Is that it? Maybe. I wonder what he looks like . . . Is he tall? Handsome? 


What am I thinking? 


I shrug off the thought and jump to another. High school reunion. Ten years after high school, what would my batch mates look like?  I bet they’ve changed. Better or worse? I wonder . . . 
I instantly think of the fifteen boys who, unfortunately, ruined my high school experience. Especially that Choi Siwon dude. Oh was I a big mess when he was around. He would walk through the hallways with his waxed hair and his varsity jacket. His perfect smile flashing around everyone. His friends were behind him, killing other girls with their own little piece of perfection glued to their faces. 


Siwon would just look so cool in everyone’s eyes. His chocolate abs would flex as he stretched before diving into the pool. He would use his perfectly shaped biceps to swim to the other end of the pool and back a couple of laps. And he would win. 


He would walk up the small stage, smile at everyone, flash his little gold metal that was so lucky to touch his strong, broad and Captain America like chest, it made everyone wish they were the medal. It made all the girls drool and it gave a couple of us a heart attack.
Choi Siwon. Choi Siwon. I wonder where he is now . . . 


I wonder if her really inherited his family’s riches. I wonder if he married his cheerleader girlfriend. I wonder if he's still friends with the other fourteen men that made other's people's lives miserable? Has he . . . changed? I bet not. He's not that type. 

The reunion and my patient . . . they've bee stressing me out! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! :)))) UGH! Christmas break is OVER! God! I'm going to miss my bed! And! I'm going to miss updating this story of mine! :) BTW, how was it? I know, I know. It's not as good as Kyuhyun's :( Sorry about that :( But I promise to try my very best in writing this story! :))

XOXO

Comment, Vote and Subscribe!