Chapter 10

The Murder Game

After waiting for Jiho to stand up, Kyung took him to a restaurant nearby to get something to eat. As far as he was concerned, the assignment was over. He excused himself and called Jaehyo.

"Kyung, I was expecting your call. The boss is happy with your good work. You'd get a longer break this time"

"Jaehyo, I'd like to quit. I really don't want to continue"

"We'll discuss this later, but for now, enjoy your break"

Although the conversation hadn't gone as planned, it was a start. Kyung had time which he could use to leave the country with Jiho before anyone found out that he was still alive. He'd have to call Jaehyo later and ask him to tell the boss that he wanted to leave. Now that their families were safe, they only had to book an airplane ticket and leave as soon as possible. As they left the restaurant after eating, Kyung saw their path blocked by almost a dozen men. Although he could feel his heart in his throat, he stayed calm enough to try to walk past them with Zico.

"Woo Zico, we'd heard you were dead. It's a good thing we saw you now"

Of all the times these cronies of Janus had to appear, Jiho was amazed that they'd chosen the time when he was with Kyung. It was now more essential to protect Kyung as their cover was about to be blown. If the crowd increased, there would be a lot more witnesses to what was going to occur.

"I'm here for you, Jiho. Let's get them together"

Both Jiho and Kyung assumed their fighting stance and launched themselves at the men. Fending off a volley of punches, they grabbed a plank each from the rubble nearby and started to create havoc among the men who only used their fists. As the men shouted in pain, with blood spurting out of their open mouths, Kyung felt a sense of deep satisfaction that he was able to help Jiho, just by being there with him. They had to end this fight before this Janus person came in.

From the corner of his eye, Jiho spotted a dark figure in the corner, just intently watching the fight. Hoping that it wasn't a civilian, he took his chance and tossed a small rock near the figure. His suspicion was confirmed when the man lifted his hand and caught the rock, with a muffled laugh.

"Tell Janus to stop hiding behind all of you like a coward, and to fight me like a man"

"Our boss doesn't need to listen to the likes of you. He will be proud of us when we drag your dead body to him"

That comment incensed Jiho, who started to hit the men and break their bones with more vigor than before. Kyung felt rather tensed to see this side of Jiho but was happy to just be his backup during this fight. After the all the thugs ran away, they both heaved a sigh of relief before getting back on their way home.

Just then, Kyung's phone started ringing.

"Kyung, this is Jaehyo. You have been spotted near X Restaurant with someone whose description matches that of the assassin Zico, your target. Explain yourself"

"You saw him die when I used my poisoned syringe on him. I'm sure your source was mistaken. How can a dead person come alive?"

"That's what I need you to explain"

Kyung felt a shiver along his spine when he heard Jaehyo's grim tone.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Jaehyo"

"I know you lied, Kyung. What I don't understand is how you thought you could lie and then try to escape from us"

Kyung gulped audibly as the phone got cut. They didn't have much time to figure out their next move. If Jaehyo knew what they had done, then it was just a matter of time before all the assassins would be sent to exterminate him and Jiho.

"Jiho, we don't have much time"

"Let's get home and book our tickets first. We can be out of here within an hour"

In the distance, Jiho saw a tall man with light brown hair approaching them, whilst talking on his phone. He didn't think much of it until he heard Kyung's sharp intake of breath and saw the light tremor along his body. Why was Kyung scared? Who was this guy, and why was his proximity affecting Kyung this way?

"Park Kyung, did you really think you could escape with your lover?"

"J..Jaehyo, I'm sorry. I had to follow my heart in this case. I couldn't complete this assignment"

"You know the penalty for that. But first, I have other pressing business to attend to"

Kyung's heart stopped as he watched Jaehyo take out a gun and aim it at Jiho.

"You've been such a pain. You've cost me a lot of my men, Zico"

"Jaehyo, what do you mean? Why have you been targeting him?"

"He's been my mission since the beginning but has always evaded me. I even sent you to the event with the hope that you would fulfill my wish, but you failed me, Kyung. However, you both are here now, and you will both die"

"I don't understand"

"To you, I'm just a simple assistant. What you don't know, is that I am the best assassin in this company. My role as an assistant was just a cover for me to do as I please. I go by the name Janus"

Kyung felt his body move involuntarily as he saw Jaehyo begin to squeeze the trigger. Bodily hurtling himself towards Jaehyo, he managed to make him miss his shot. The bullet ricocheted off the ground, a mere 3 inches away from Jiho. Enraged by his audacity, Jaehyo tried to hit Kyung with the barrel of his gun, when Kyung hit him again, forcing him to drop it.

Acting fast, although he was filled with a blind panic, Jiho grabbed the gun and struggled to aim as Kyung still kept wrestling with Jaehyo. Praying, for the first time in years, he pulled the trigger, hoping he hit the right person.

Kyung heard the sound of the gunshot, and felt Jaehyo slump against him, with blood blossoming out of the wound in his chest. Although he felt betrayed by him, he still felt bad when he saw his former friend's face turn white with shock. As he laid Jaehyo on the ground, he saw his lips form the words 'I'm sorry', before he shut his eyes forever.

********************************************************

*One month later*

Lee Taeil sat by the grave of his best warrior and repented for his sins. Ever since he'd adopted Jaehyo as a child, he had always forced him to do what he had planned for him. Now, as a result of his plans, he'd lost, not only his son but also two of his finest assassins. He had closed his company, due to his screaming conscience, and now lived the life of a recluse. Zico and Park Kyung had both sent a formal notice regarding their resignation and were due to be married in a week. Consoling his broken heart, he deposited 3 million dollars in each of their accounts, as a wedding gift.