Chapter 2

Rose of Sharon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Min Ho followed Yoochun to the medicinal hall without making any noise. Min Ho also selected extra medicine that would help to heal the wounds faster. When they were done packing, 

"Take care of yourself your royal highness..."

"Aish~"

"Please it's a habit for me... And Ahboeji has told me never to disrespect the late King and his family..."

"Arasso... There's nothing I can do to change that right? That's how incompetent I am..." as he heaved a heavy sigh.

"You are not your royal highness... We were all young then.. They did it on purpose to overthrow the Kingdom... Those greedy bastards..."

"Never mind about that... Is Jaejoong coping well being the magistrate?"

"It gets hard for him sometimes going against his principles but he still able to manage it well... He is waiting for you to assume the throne..."

"And only to destroy the Kingdom that my father had built with my own hands?"

"I am sure you can do better than the tyrant that is on a rampage... Your royal highness."

"Forget about that.. We just need to overthrow him and replaced him with a qualified person for kingship.. I am getting to it.. And you shall organize things here in the city with Jaejoong alright? So you take care too Yoochun... I got to go.."

Min Ho took a quick exit and rode off on his horse quickly to his hideout. When he reached the hideout, the person was still lying lifelessly on the floor. He then untied the cloth torniquet and ripped the pants in order to treat the wound properly but he was shocked. 

This is definitely not the leg of a man.... How is it possible for a girl to do this?

He then decided to unmask the person and was surprised to see that it was Shin Hye!

Goodness gracious me! How can it be?

He wasted no time and treated her thigh that was pierced by the blade of a sword. He placed the powdered medicine on the open wound. It was deep and Min Ho felt his heart ache looking at the state she was in.

Just what were you thinking trying to rob a caravan alone...

* * *

The next morning, Shin Hye finally regained her consciousness and realised that she was at an unfamiliar place. She tried to get up but the wound on her thigh did not allow her to move. She felt excruciating pain  as held onto her thigh tight to reduce the pain that she was feeling and tried to sit up again, when all of a sudden, Min Ho entered the room, surprising Shin Hye with his presence.

"What are you doing here? Where am I?"

"Calm down... You fainted because of the wound on your thigh..." as he sat beside her with a bowl of brewed medicine in his hand as though a scene was replayed except the change in role.

"Were you the person from last night?" as she asked cautiously.

"Neh.. I am.. I am a bandit, I rob... But you don't seem to me like a bandit at all... So why did you do that?"

"I have always done that... I just did not expect the number of it... The ones that usually pass that path is a single caravan.."

"So you have been attacking single caravan? What for?"

"To redistribute it to the poor..." as Shin Hye looked down towards the floor.

Min Ho who noticed her discomfort about discussing the topic passed her the medicine, "Rest after you've taken the medicine... I will send you back home later..."

Just before Min Ho stepped out of the room, Shin Hye raised another question, "May I know if you took the loot last night?"

"Why?"

"Because if you did, even if it is just a little bit, would you be able to pass it to me so I can pass it on to those in need?"

"I did not take it.." as Min Ho lied through his teeth and head out of the room. He did not want to extend such conversation as it would only reveal his real identity that he is not proud of. On the other hand, Shin Hye felt bad that he had lost the chance to take the loot the because of her as she began to take sips of the medicine. After she was done drinking it all up, she looked around the room and it was filled with books, which is one of her greatest joys in life. Her curiosity got the better of her as she slide herself on the floor to get to the stack of books placed neatly at the corner of the room and she began to read, turning pages after pages. She did not realise that hours have gone by as she was focused on reading books after books as chances like that are rare for her because girls are not allowed to go to schools much less be in touch with a book, and Min Ho was in for another surprise when he came back in to give her another bowl of medicine.

"What are you doing?"

"Oh I am sorry.. I didn't mean to touch your belongings..."

"You are able to read?"

"Please keep it a secret! Don't report me to the magistrate please..."

"Where did you learn how to read?"

"My late father, and my brother..."

"You have a brother?"

"Please spare him as well... He did nothing wrong..."

"What makes you think that I will report you or your brother?"

"Because it's a crime... Equivalent to death..."

"And you're not worried about the fact that I know of your identity as a bandit?"

"But you are a bandit too.. That makes us equal..."

"Yeah~ Guess you're right... But I will not report you on one condition..."

"What is it?"

"Will you do anything?"

"Neh.. Anything... I don't wish to cause trouble to my brother..."

"Really anything?" as Min Ho .

"Except that.." as Shin Hye nervously covered her chest with her hands forming a cross.

It made Min Ho smile at her innocence, "You have to allow me to get to know you better..."

"Huh? Why?"

"Isn't it good for you too? You can have as many books as you want to read..." 

Come to think of it, that's not a bad deal at all...

"So, what do you say, Shin Hye-yang?"

"I think I can do at least that..."

"Alright great.. But now.. We need to head back to your home.. Because the sun will set by the time we get there..." But when Min Ho noticed her reluctance to let go of her book, "You can take a couple of the books along with you... Read it along the way..."

"But we will only be caught!"

"Trust me.. I know the ways here..."

Shin Hye grabbed a few books and attempted to stand but failed to do so. Min Ho who could bear to see her in the state she was in, decided to carry her in a cradle-like manner. The close contact while they looked into each other's eyes made them nervous as they swallowed hard on their saliva with heart beat racing faster than usual. Min Ho tried to break the awkward atmosphere by clearing his throat purposefully and loud while she looked away to break away from the eye contact earlier. He got her up on Jongma while he rode on her horse and held onto both harness as the horses throttled along. 

"Aren't you going to read?"

"Nope.. I shall do it when I'm home..."

"So does it mean that you learned how to write from your brother too?"

"Neh..."

"So your brother is a scholar right? Because your taste in the books that you chose is definitely not that of an ordinary commoner."

"Are you a scholar too?"

"Nope..."

"Then are you somehow well verse in medicine?"

"Nope..."

"Then what are you?"

"I am a cast awat crown prince... Who's been given everything and was told to learn everything and anything... A bandit.. I am just a bandit..."

"A bandit who reads?"

"Why? Can't a bandit read?"

"It's not that... But you've got a collection of really great books..."

"I borrowed it from a friend..."

"Huh? Then is it okay for you to be giving it to me?"

"Don't worry... My friend is a nice person... He won't mind because it's me..."

"Oh okay then... But w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter