Chapter 3

Rose of Sharon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After a few hours of the supposed interrogation and recording of the statement given by Min Ho, he was 'released' by Jaejoong who also had to go by a pseudonym. Shin Hye ran towards him as she began to questioned Min Ho, "Are you alright? Will you have to remain here? Are we allowed to head back home? Are you hurt?"

"I am fine.. Don't worry about it..."

At that time, Yoochun also stepped out of the office.

"Oppa~ He doesn't have to stay here right? Does he?"

"No.. He is free to go, Shin Hye. Magistrate Kim will him back to the gates.. And you.. How can you come here knowing that it is dangerous.. The next time you are not allowed to follow him arasso? I'll let you off once just today... If you do it again I am not bringing you books anymore... Sorry Shin Hye ya~ We cannot allow you to be involved..."

"I am sorry Yoochun Oppa."

"You have to get yourself healed arasso?"

"Neh Oppa..."

Min Ho helped her up the horse again before he did. She hid herself under his cape and travelled back the way they had came earlier as Jaejoong escorted them. While they were travelling quietly towards the gates, Min Ho's mind was full of conflict as he was worried for Shin Hye but it was a risk he decided to take to create a better Kingdom just like Shin Hye had wanted. When they had finally passed through the gates safely and away from the sight of the guards, Min Ho informed her that it was safe for her to come out from her hiding. When she got herself out of it, "Hold on tight..." said Min Ho before he made Jongma galloped at full speed again to her home. When they finally reached her home, he got down frome the horse first before he assisted her. The elder had already slept when he sent her towards the doorsteps.

"Aren't you going to stay here for the night?"

"I'm sorry, I won't be staying here tonight."

"Oh ok... Then when will you drop by again?"

Min Ho was reluctant to answer her question. 

"Hmmm I will prepare for you delicious food... So you won't get into trouble with the Ahjummonie again.. You were called in by the magistrate because of the Ahjummonie right?"

"No... She has got nothing to do with what had happened today..."

"Then? Why did you surrender yourself easily?"

"Because of some things that are needed to be settled with the magistrate... And your brother helped me to clear my name."

"But now that they had freed you, you'll be fine right?"

"Yes.."

"Great! Then you would be able to drop by often to help Haraboeji and to accompany me while in return I will prepare your meals.. Isn't that a good deal? What do you think?"

"I am sorry Shin Hye.. But tonight will be the last night that we'll be seeing each other..."

"Huh? Why all of a sudden?"

"I can't keep seeing you..."

"Did Yoochun Oppa said anything to you? Did he not allow you to see me anymore? Did he threatened you?"

"No..."

"Then?"

"I just can't see you anymore.."

"But why?"

"Because.. I love you.. I don't love you..."

Shin Hye's tears began to well up in her eyes, and it was hurting Min Ho badly but it was something he needed to do as he was uncertain of the future he sees in front of him. 

"I think you got confused about me wanting to get to know you and love. I don't see you in that way... I'm sorry... But I think you're too much of a burden for me.... I'm sorry Shin Hye.. I just needed you to be safe should anything happen to me... I will try my best not to allow Yoochun to get hurt so he can be there for you... That's all I can do for you now..." as he turned around and walked away from Shin Hye with a heavy heart.

He got up on his horse and rode off as quickly as Jongma could go while tears began to stream down his cheeks, unknown to Shin Hye who was saddened by the mean words he had just uttered to her.

* * *

Min Ho was packing up his hideout and as he saw the books, he could not help but to be reminded of Shin Hye. He had not been visiting her house in hopes to make the separation between him and Shin Hye to be less painful. He had been spending his nights out and been making his way in and out of the city in preparation for the upcoming revolt and to ensure that the stake outs are all set and also to brief and train the people who are joining his side to ensure minimum casualty. 

He then bundled up all the books and wrapped it up in cloths before he attached it to the back of his horse securely. He then rode all the way to Shin Hye's home in the wee hours of the morning and placed the bundled books on the front porch sheltered from the rain and quickly got himself out of there so as not to be caught in the act. 

When morning comes, Shin Hye woke up from her sleep and stepped out from her room to see that there were bundled parcels in front of her house. 

"Hmmm what could this be? Who could have left it here?" as she mumbled to herself. Though she was cautious, her curiosity got the better of her yet again. She untied the bundle carefully and was shocked to see the stack of books as she quickly brought it back into her room.

Goodness.. If I am caught with this many books.. I'm dead for sure!

"Hmmm these books seems familiar.. Where have I seen it before?"

She the rushed towards a chest that she had kept the books securely under lock and key to retrieve the books that Min Ho had given to her before. She made a comparison and realised that the books were bound in the same manner and the penmanship on the written notes found in between the pages were the same too.

"You came by here only to give me these? And in secret at that? What are you trying to do to me?!" She wasted no time and got on her horse to make her way to Min Ho's hideout. When she finally reached the place, she realized that it was a little too late as the hideout was completely vacant. 

He was here yesterday...  Where could he be? How could he just pack and leave? You are really really a cruel man~ - as she began to weep.

Unknown to Min Ho, Shin Hye who had been missing him, could not stop herself from looking over him from afar. The only way to soothe her heart and reduce her anxiety that put her off from sleeping.

Meanwhile, Min Ho had reached the campsite where all the main group of people for him to lead were gathered. 

Yoochun and Jaejoong were there too as they brief the group one last time before Min Ho arrived. 

"I think that's enough for the night. They need the rest and we will set off before the break of dawn." as Min Ho gave his orders to Yoochun and Jaejoong, to pass the word around.

When the men were resting in the tent to retire for the night, Min Ho kept awake as his heart was full of worries for the upcoming battle. He tried to clear his thoughts off of Shin Hye and to concentrate on the lives of people that he would be responsible for as he recalled the words that the reigning King said to him with the most cunning of looks across his face, just before he cast Min Ho out of the Kingdom, "An incompetent  father kills his own son, An incompetent ruler kills his own people..." as he tried to beat out the negative thoughts in his head.

Yoochun and Jaejoong who could not fall asleep too, stepped out of their tent to see Min Ho sitting all alone. They approached him and took a seat beside Min Ho flanking on each side.

"Your royal highness, can you share with us the cause of your troubles and your sleepless night?"

"I am alright.. Thank you for asking.. Why are the two of you still up? You should be resting."

"Your Royal Highness, the expression on your face depicts the opposite of what you had just told us. Are you worried about the lives of the people that you are accountable for? And you're worried that you won't be able to do a good job?"

"I can't help but to think about it.."

"You will do a good job Your Royal Highness.. It has been years as the state and its people awaits for your return... And the condition now is the optimum."

"Thank you for the encouragement... but 'The art of war is of vital importance to the State. It is a matter of life and death, a road either to safety or to ruin. Hence it is a subject of inquiry which can on no account be neglected - Sun Tzu." as Min Ho stood up to walk away.

"Where are you going Your Royal Highness?"

"I need some time alone if you don't mind."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter