Maybe

Her Side of the Story

Chapter 9: Maybe


"Hayi, can you check this one?"

Hanbin pushed his notes to Hayi. The latter temporarily abandoned her history paper to check.

Jiwon, who was seated opposite the pair, took a glance at Hanbin and Hayi alternately. Both were too absorbed with their discussion.

Hanbin instinctly slid closer to point out something about being a division by zero which their only audience couldn't suppress a cough at.

Jiwon tried to focus on the readings Hayi had mandated him to read over and collate important information for their project to hide the awkwardness of seemingly being the third wheel. When he looked up again, he and Hanbin was locked in a staring contest. Jiwon broke the eye contact first to excuse himself.

"Uhm. I'll just go buy some drinks."

Hanbin followed him with his eyes before excusing himself. "I'm thirsty, too. Do you also want a drink?"

Hayi kept her focus on her laptop and answered curtly. "No, thanks."

Awkward silence enveloped the vending place as the two wait for their drinks to be dropped.

"Do you like Hayi?"

Bobby almost choked on his soda when Hanbin popped the question. They were on the vendi machine grabbing a drink after an hour and a half of studying, leaving Hayi by herself in their table. They're studying together, well, awkwardly if you ask Jiwon. He felt like he was third wheeling the whole time and Hanbin had the guts to ask that?

"Woah dude what?" He asked, scandalized.

Hanbin raised an eyebrow before leaning at the vending machine drinking his cider. "Then why are you following her around?"

Jiwon looked at him incredulously for being too straightforward. He like the guy already. He chuckled as he leaned his back at the wall opposite the vending machine he used and infront Hanbin.

"Dude sorry to disappoint you if you're feeling threatened by my presence but I don't like her."
Jiwon explained which earned him an eyebrow raised from Hanbin. "This is amusing."

Hanbin's face turned stoic. "If your just going to play her around, stop now or I'll see to it that you're not gonna get less than 10 ing yards away from her."

"Woah woah." Jiwon held his hands up in surrender. "Chill man, I'm not the bad guy here."

Jiwon saw how Hanbin's jaw clenched. He chuckled before straightening. "But seeing you two really confuse me. Do you like her?"

//////

Hayi took notice of the brightness of the house when she entered the living room.

"I'm home."

It's almost a week since she stayed in her brother's house. She still refused to go back to their mother's house until her mother made sense of what she had done.

The house was unusually bright. Usually they only turn on the lights in the front porch, the staircase, kitchen, and a few dim lights in the living room. But there must be something today since most of the lights in the living room, and dining area are lit. Her brother doesn't go home until it's dinner time which is 8 in the evening while her brother's wife, Dara, usually get home an hour before her husband or sometimes they get home together. Her Dara-unnie is an artist who has her own gallery in Gangnam district and usually held gallery exhibitions twice a month for her works and some artworks she curated.

Maybe they're already home. She thought.

"Oppa?" She called. A couple of murmurs can be heard from the kitchen so she checked. The clinking of kitchenwares were getting clearer as she step closer the dining room which is beside the kitchen. Before she could fully enter the dining area, she saw the maids busily bringing bowls of food to the dining table where Dara was busy arranging the table. Dara looked up and saw Hayi standing from the dining room entry way.

"Oh Hayi, you're here just on time! Come on have a sit."

It was only 7 in the evening and her brother was still out. "Is oppa not going home today?"

"Hmm?" Dara absently answered. When she looked at her, Hayi noticed her glowing. Dara smile before looking at her swatch. "Oh he's here, just in time."

As if on cue, the front door opened and a drained Jiyong entered the dining area a moment after. Just like Hayi, Jiyong raised an eyebrow at the extravagant dinner in front of them. He looked at her sister who just shrugged before looking at his wife questioningly.

"Babe, what --" Before Jiyong could complete his question, Dara ran to him engufling him into a tight hug. The siblings were stunned by the gesture but the maids could only smile and swoon at the sweet couple in front of them.

Jiyong hugged his wife back as he kissed her hair asking her what was wrong. Dara burrowed deeper into Jiyong's embrace shoulder shaking as if she was crying.

The two were engaged in a whispering conversation and Hayi silently watched while sitting in front of the table unable to break the serious talk the two were having.

Hayi knew how much her brother loved his wife. She saw it during their wedding which was her favorite wedding she had ever witnessed.

Jiyong pulled away slightly to raise both of his hands and pulled Dara's head away to see her. "What's wrong, babe? What happened?"

Dara looked at him and said something too weakly Hayi failed to catch but, in return, she saw the only thing that she hadn't saw in Jiyong ever: his tears. Dara's answer prompt Jiyong's tears. For the last decade, Hayi never saw her brother cry in front of her. But the love of his life finally made her witness it.

Still holding Dara's face between his hands, Jiyong showered her kisses all the while whispering how much he loves her. Hayi stared in awe almost making her heart hurt. 

Jiyong hugged Dara tightly, kissing her shoulder. When he looked up, he saw Hayi looking at them worriedly. "She's pregnant." He said softly Hayi almost didn't catch if she didn't lip read.
 

//// 

It's been a good five minutes since they met each other infront of Hayi's brother's house. They were both leaning their backs on the side of the car by the passenger's seat. Hayi was looking straight at the view before them while he was awkwardly kicking the ground ever so often. Her brother's house was built on the top of a little hill near Namsan overlooking the city.

"Hanbin, do you still like Lisa?"

He looked up and stared at her before looking straight at what she was earnestly staring at.
"Why do you want to know?"

"Nevermind."

He sighed. "Lisa. She's...lost. Lisa was lost when I liked her."

"You like fixing things, do you?" Hayi looked at him, eye to eye, for the first time today. "You like making everything in good condition. Is that why you broke up with her? Because she doesn't need you anymore?"

Hanbin was about to say something but closed his mouth and shook his head. "It's not like that. You're making me as someone who would take advantage on people."

"Then why did you break her this time after fixing her? Is it because you found someone more broken than her?"

"Hayi, no. It's not like that."

"I think I didn't know anyone other than you and Jinhwan."

Hanbin furrowed his eyebrows trying to figure out where their talk is going. But he didn't let his confusion to ruin the only night that Hayi had ever opened up about something -- especially to him.

"Dara-unnie is pregnant, you know." Hayi looked down before looking up to him with a smile.

"Hayi, that's great!" As great as the smile you gave me, he thought.

"I saw oppa cry today when unnie announce that. And I think I have never ever known how much they had to surpass to get that happiness. I never knew my brother just like how I never knew you. I'm starting to think I was to blame why no one tries to get past my wall because I doesn't give them the chance."
Hayi straightened, rocking back on her heels. She twisted to face his side before handing a bottle of honey-lemon juice. "Drink this. You reek of smoke."

She turned and was about to walk back into the house when Hanbin grabbed her wrist. "Let yourself have it, Hayi. Let yourself feel loved."

Looking at her made him want to give her the world. She was always a lonely girl she deserves to be loved. He can love her. He wanted to love her if thats the only thing that can repair the broken pieces of her. Prejudice about him be damned.

/////

Hanbin pulled over just beside Jiwon's car. He never knew Jiwon to be this rich. He knew how to keep it humble.

As Hanbin climbed out of his car, he instantly saw Jiwon leaning his upper body on the railings. There were few people around Han river seemingly letting themselves off some tension. Jiwon blew his cigarette before turning his head to his left to see him approaching. Jiwon jerked his head in recognition before tossing him a pack of cigarette. "Hey loverboy."

Hanbin rolled his eyes before leaning his back at the railings. After getting himself a cancer stick, he turned to put his arms on the railings and blowing smokes that made Jiwon snickered. "How's Hayi?" Jiwon asked.

"Good." Then Hanbin couldn't stop himself from smiling before he took another hit. "Better."

"So you gonna do it?" Jiwon side eyed him.

"Maybe. Let's see."
 


A/N: short update after n years!

Thank you all for the continuous support for this crap haha. As you see I'm still contemplating how to go with this fic. After this chapter you'll gonna have too many questions (e.g how, when, what) but I assure you that they'll gonna be answered in the next coming chapters. I needed some character adjustments with Hanbin and Jiwon so that it will suit my plot flow. 

I added #daragon moments too since I boarded this ship recently. Any daragon shipper out there too? 

Anyway, yeah, stay tuned for more and good day! Xxx

 

- ieunjae