Start of Something

Her Side of the Story

Chapter 8: Start of Something

Frustrated. Really, really frustrated. Hayi wasn't fond of crowded places but that night she didn't really care. Trying to pass through those wild people, she almost had to yell at them to move out of the way but she remembered she's not at school; as a matter of fact, she's at a club - alone and frustrated. Stop being too hostile for just one time, she preached herself.

"One vodka please." she said to the bartender as she found herself a seat by the counter.

"Anything else?" the bartender asked, taking lightly the type of drink she ordered.

Hayi just blurt out a, "No, that's all. Thank you." Sometimes she surprise herself that even how frustrated she was, she could be really polite unintentionally.

Waiting for her drink, she tried to drown herself to the upbeat music - that was too loud she almost couldn't hear her own thoughts - and a bottle of alcohol she had been chugging down for half an hour now. Hours later, Hayi was already seeing double. Trying to grasp a hold of her consciousness, she didn't realized that Lalice had already approached her. Lalice was spitting harsh words at her she wasn't sober to comprehend and just literally slump her head on the counter top.

But then Lalice's voice was now trembling. "We broke up, Lee Hayi. And it's all your fault."

Hayi's head turned up upon hearing her name. Eye feeling hazy, she looked at Lalice. Apparently, after Lalice's crying, her mascara made a huge mess on her face. Seeing how horrible Lalice was, she and Lalice didn't expect what Hayi did the next moment.

Hayi laughed. She laughed like a someone who just laughed for the first time. Head leaning backwards while hitting the counter top with her head, Hayi seemed to have lost it. She laughed too freely not realizing that onlooker's eyes were on them, especially Jiwon's. He was just about to leave when he recognized Hayi. However, seeing that she's with Lalice, he tried to analyze the situation before approaching. Lalice was starting to be infuriated at the mockery. Fortunately, Lalice's friends got a hold of her before another chaos occured between the equally drunk rivals.

A moment later, Hayi felt her head was becoming heavier prompting her to clutch her wallet and tried to leave. It was evident that she was drunk as to how she swayed while she walk. She was about to fall face flat on the floor after a missed step on the stairs when she was held up by Kim Jiwon. She tried to make out who she was but her hazy sight didn't give a thing. She might be in her right mind - Jiwon thought - as she pushed him away. "Get off me, ert." Hayi slurred.

Jiwon backed off but still followed her until she got herself out of the club. Seeing that she tripped on her feet, he was about to catch her but Kim Hanbin was faster. Hanbin held her by her shoulder, shook her before carrying Hayi to his car. Apparently, Hanbin was surprised to see a drunk Hayi outside the bar where he was supposed to check on his now ex-girlfrined after having a drunk text from Lalice. Jiwon, on the other hand, just stared at his car speed of the club's parking space. 

Two minutes from the ride, Hanbin seems to realize that Hayi have to puke. Hanbin drove to the nearest park and parked his car next to a bush where Hayi immediately puked the alcohol out. Hanbin remained seated as he held up a box of tissue and bottle of water for Hayi. Hayi willingly took it making Hanbin wonder if she's already sober. 

As if asnwering his questions, Hayi replied after she got on the car. "I just want to avoid being hostile just for once."

Hanbin cleared his throat and then turned the ignition on. "Where should I take you?"

There was a long silence. Hanbin glanced at her and saw Hayi just leaned her head on the window. "I don't want to go home yet. And besides, I kept getting dizzy during the ride."

Hanbin had only seen Hayi in such a very fragile and crude state twice - today and the day her parents filed divorce. He's pissed off that having been engage to her seems to put her as his responsibility. but seeing her like that makes him think twice. Lee Hayi was alone. She needed a friend; that Hanbin knows he could offer if she'd only accept it. It's true that Hanbin pitied her but for someone he know of since his childhood - though not that close - he practically developed a sense of an older brother to her. 

Realizing that Hayi was now asleep, he adjusted her seat and got out to buy a coffee from the convenience store nearby. 

As soon as Hanbin got out of his car, Hayi opened her eyes that were damp due to her tears. She looked at the driver's window to see Hanbin walking inside the convenience store. Hanbin was the only comfortable person she have second to Jinhwan. She knew that but attachments are her only weakness. All of those people she grew attached with leaves. She didn't want friends since the last one had stray away from her since Jinhwan happened. Friends were supposed to tell you waht you were doing was wrong not leave you because what you're doing was wrong. And she's afraid Hanbin will became one example, especially now that they're engaged. There's no such thing as a happy engagement for two people who don't love each other.

She looked at him and wishes that he just stay away.

-----------------

After few minutes, Hanbin returned with two cups of coffee. However, as soon as he got in his car, Hayi was no longer there. He started to panic. It was his responsibility to look out for her now that she's drunk. But as soon as he got out, Hayi bumped into him. 

She's still clearly drunk, he thought. He was holding her by her arms, shaking her drunkness off only to be surprised by the next thing Hayi did. Hayi leaned her face on his chest and cried. "You're going to leave."

"What?" he was standing awkwardly infront of the crying girl. 

"Stay away from me." Hayi looked up and tried to stand straight before turning her back. "What the point sticking to you when you will eventually leave."

Hanbin had to spun her around. "You clearly are the weakest I've ever met. And no. Even if we weren't that of a close friend, I will stick with you. With all honesty, I will stay with you - as a friend or as a fiance. You ought to trust me."

That night a promise was sealed.

-------------------

Their history teacher entered their class feeling crankier than usual, despite the class' displeasure. So he told the class that their requirements to pass his subject was to make a comparative analysis of modern government of Korea and the past. They were instructed to find a partner. Hayi was obviously in disadvantage but she figured that working alone on it is much easier than having one. So when their teacher asked if everyone is settled, he just left the class to discuss the matter with their selected partners.

One of their classmates approached Kim Jiwon who still haven't decided who to take in yet, but when one of their classmate asked him to be his partner, all he said was. "I'm sorry dude but I just asked Hayi to be my partner for this." 

Hayi turned to him surprised and shooting him with a sharp stare while all seemed to gasped. Not from the fact that Jiwon asked Hayi but from the fact that Hayi agreed.

"Really?" one of the girls asked.

"Yeah." Jiwon just smiled his trademark smile.

They just scoffed then got back to their business. Hayi grasped Jiwon's shirt strongly. "What are you saying? I'm working alone."

"Then give me back my sweater." 

Hayi released her hold on his shirt, leaving it crumpled. "It's...it's still not dry cleaned yet."

"Then be my partner in this."

"Whatever."

Jiwon was surprised for the lack of resistance from her. He thought that it was a good thing. She's not that bad.

When the school ends that day, he continued to tag along Hayi. She was getting annoyed at his pestering so she had to finally set her rules on their so called team up.

"So listen here, I don't want a freeloader. If you want to be my partner then do your job well."

Hayi and Jiwon's discussion was cut short when Hanbin called out to her. Jiwon eyed the two curiosly. 

"Did you called for the driver?" Hayi asked.

Hanbin nodded then looked at Jiwon. Before things got a little awkward than it already is, Jiwon decided to do the introduction. "Hi, I'm Kim Jiwon. I'm Hayi's partner in history."

Hanbin furrowed his brow then looked at Hayi questioningly. Hayi cleared , "I had to take him in. He's gonna come with us today at the library. We have to discuss thing about the project."

Hanbin turned to Jiwon again before holding up a hand. "I'm Hanbin. kim Hanbin. Hayi's friend."

After shaking hands, Hanbin told them that their car is already there. Hayi and Hanbin was walking side by side quietly while Jiwon followed suit behind. Looking at the two, Jiwon had almost thought that everything will be starting to get a little interesting. 

 

Maybe. Maybe I could trust you.

 


A/N:

Hi! finally found the copy of the eighth chapter. I had to ransack all of my folders in my laptop to find this chapter.

BTW, for those who were asking about this fic's OTP, I'll have to stand firm that this will be a Hanhi fic (that's why it's tagged and categorized in  Hanhi tags). I'm so sorry to all Bobhi fans. 

And thank you for those who appreciated this fic. Please keep on following till the end.

-ieunjae