rumor has it

Knights of the Vampire Hunters

rumor has it

 

“There’s been word that the so-called demon from Gwangmu was spotted on the outskirts of our villages.”

Sunggyu’s brows furrowed in response from where he had a hand on the spine of the book he was pushing back into line on the shelf. He turned to his friend in confusion, slowly digesting the news.

“Are you scared?”

Sunggyu’s eyes narrowed in annoyance and he folded his arms over his chest. “No.”

“They say that he has the strength of ten men with eyes as black as night,” Myungsoo continued nonchalantly. “He craves the blood that runs through human veins and his victims dry, just like his demon origins.”

“Word has it that he’s only half demon, is he not?” the older boy replied almost sarcastically, ignoring the fact that the book that he had just set back on the shelf was about demons and ancient spells.

“Half-demon or not, he’s still a monster who kills innocent people and drinks their blood.”

Myungsoo however didn’t sound the least bit worried at his own words, his eyes set on the weapons and equipment on the table in front of him. He reached and picked up the chainmail and assessed it with much more interest than the news he had brought up to scare his friend.

“You’re not worried?” Sunggyu brought up, “If the rumors are true.”

“My skill is stronger than his craft, however demonic it is,” the prince replied offhandedly. He examined the armour in front of him and slipped a hand through the gap. 

“You know you’re putting that on wrong.”

Myungsoo turned in irritation as Sunggyu watched him with fake interest, his hands hanging loose in his pockets. Setting the chainmail back on the table, Myungsoo took a casual glance to the side before approaching the older boy. Sunggyu watched him with confused eyes as Myungsoo reached for his opposite shoulder, and with a swift hook of his leg, sent the older boy flat on his back with a thud.

Sunggyu groaned in pain before pushing himself up to a sitting position. Myungsoo was still standing over him with an undeniable smirk as Sunggyu scowled.

“Myungsoo?”

Myungsoo flinched as a knuckle was brought down on his head and he reflexively shielded himself with a hand. He turned to find the queen with narrowed eyes as she chided him.

“You know Sunggyu has a weak body. You are also the prince of this kingdom, and this is not the behaviour of a prince. You should know better.”

She turned fond eyes on Sunggyu, who quickly did a half bow from his spot on the ground.

“I allow you to flick his forehead in punishment, Sunggyu-yah.”

“Mother!”

Sunggyu blinked in surprise and stole a glance at Myungsoo before quickly turning back to the queen, suppressing his urge to smile.

“Yes, your majesty.”

Her coral painted lips curved upwards and she turned to shoot her son one last look before continuing her stroll in the yard, curled red tresses falling neatly on her back. Myungsoo made a face at her receding back, and when she was sufficiently out of sight he made a rude sound between his teeth and scratched the back of his head. He turned to find Sunggyu standing in front of him, eyes flickering with mirth.

“Hey. You. Stay away from me.”

You?”

“Hyung…”

Myungsoo pointed menacingly as he took a few steps back, and Sunggyu grinned in triumph.

“The queen’s orders. Show me your forehead. Hey!”

Myungsoo made a dash out in the opposite direction with Sunggyu in tow, the two running past a flabbergasted Dongwoo and a nonchalant Sungjong who continued on with his business. It was a typical day at the castle with Myungsoo and Sunggyu.