Thirty-One

"I Promise"

               The moon is high in the sky that night. There is not a single cloud in the sky and so the light from the distance illuminates everything with a soft glow. If one were to peer out through the windows, it would be a perfect night. Quiet, serene. The only sound on the streets is a soft meow from a stray cat that saunters along the streets. It peers into the darkness with its eyes and find the bushes it is looking for.

               Jumping in, the cat finds its kittens snuggled in a heap. She all their heads one at a time before stretching and yawning. It is getting late. She blinks twice, rubs her paws over her whiskers and then settle in with her small family.

               Truly, the night is quiet. Beautiful.

               The complete opposite of one certain household.

               “Hyung!” somebody screams at the top of their lungs, “Hyung! He’s bullying me again!”

               Seokjin clutches the back of his head and moans in fatigue. He is a bachelor, yet as he stands in the middle of the living room, he feels like both the father and mother of seven children.

               “Jin-hyung! Get him off me!” the person screams again.

               “Jin, if you don’t do something, Jimin is going to have a lopsided head for the rest of his life,” Hoseok rasps from the couch. He takes a sip of his tea and coughs again. His fingers are tingling for the presence of a cigarette but even he knows that his condition is not the best to take a smoke.

               Seokjin sighs and stomps up towards the two who are rolling on the floor. Jungkook has Jimin in a headlock and rubs his knuckles on the elder’s head. Jimin thrashes in Jungkook’s grip but he does not have enough physical strength to overpower him. To the side, Taehyung is recording the entire event on his phone and laughing. The video shakes with each laugh and in reality, it probably does not record much.

               “Jungkook, could you let go of Jimin? You’re going to suffocate him,” Seokjin says with exasperation.

               Jungkook gives an extra hard rub on Jimin’s head. He then releases Jimin who immediately crawls away. He whines all the way towards Yoongi who is sitting on the other sofa with Namjoon, engaged in a conversation about the mechanics of beat making.

               “Yoongi-hyung,” Jimin grabs said person’s arm and pushes his head towards him, “My head hurts.”

               Yoongi raises an eyebrow. “You’re our team’s medic, Jimin. Don’t act like a child now.”

               Jimin scowls and stands up. At this time, Dauen walks out of her bedroom changed into her night attire and reading to sleep. She had been reading a book inside but had come out for a drink of water. Colour has returned to her face and a nice flush spreads throughout her cheeks.

               “Dauen!” Jimin instantly latches onto Dauen’s side.

               She looks at him in shock. Taking in everything before her, she laughs at the comical scene of ordered disorder in the house. “What’s wrong?” she asks him.

               Taehyung is now sitting on the floor playing with his phone. He is relaxed and leaning against the legs of Hoseok, who still remains seated. Jungkook had left the scene momentarily after being scolded by Seokjin.

               Nobody answers her so Hoseok speaks out, “Tae and Kook were wrestling with Jimin. It was a one versus two scenario.”

               Dauen’s attention is drawn towards him. Hoseok had also changed into night attire and seeing his fluffy hair flop over his eyes in his oversized pajamas makes her fingertips tingle. He looked adorable and once that thought passed through her mind, the flush that was over cheek increase more.

               She turns away and catches Namjoon who is looking at her. She waves at him. After a brief pause, he returns her smile and beckons her closer.

               His large, warm hand encapsulates her smaller one and lays it to rest on his lap when she takes a seat beside him. He kisses her cheek lightly and she feels extremely conscious of his lips against her skin.

               Seokjin returns with Jungkook and the younger joins Taehyung on the floor after muttering an apology to Jimin. “Well,” he says with a deep exhale, “Since we’re all here. There’s something I want to discuss with all of you.”

               The room becomes quieter.

               “Is that clear? Does everybody know where they need to be and where they should go?” Seokjin looked around the table. All of BTS were seated, including Dauen and Namjoon. After a bit of a squabble between the leader and Namjoon, Seokjin agreed that the two of them could be present.

               “Jin-hyung,” Jungkook whined from his spot, “You’ve repeated the plan for the meeting so many times now I can rehearse it in my sleep.”

               Seokjin gave him a hard stare. “If you’re so smart, then rehearse it right now for me.”

               Dauen fully expected Jungkook to look away and apologize but instead, he stood up.

               He pointed to himself first. “I’m a sniper. So, doing as all snipers do, I will be on the lookout and acting as a scout. Taehyung will be stationed at my blindspot along with Yoongi-hyung to act as surveillance as well. You, Hoseok-hyung and Jimin will be with Hong Jung Yee to ensure that everything goes as Hong Jung Yee says it will. Namjoon-hyung will be with Dauen close to the back.”

               “But what’s the most important part?” Seokjin continued to ask.

               Jungkook tapped his chin in thought and Taehyung took this time to slip in, “Wait for Hong Jung Yee’s signal. Then we all bounce and he will have his police friends come in to make the arrest.”

               “True, but not quite,” Seokjin said.

               “Run fast?” Jimin quipped from the side. Seokjin gives him a look as well but he shrugs his shoulders.

               Seokjin shakes his head.

               The other members throw out other answers but Seokjin shakes his head at every single one of them.

               Hoseok sighs. He had not fully recovered from his fever and coughs so he had been the quietest thus far. “Don’t get killed,” he said softly.

               The short statement weighs heavily in the room.

               “I want each and every single one of you at the rendezvous point,” Seokjin said. A small smile had started to play on his lips when he was teasing them all earlier, but now his face is straight and serious.

               Jungkook ducks when Seokjin tries to ruffle his hair. He stands to the side with his hands crossed and says, “You too, Hyung. You’d better be there too.”

               He laughs. “Of course.”

               To rid the weight of the serious atmosphere, Taehyung speaks, “Jungkook and I were talking. When this is all over, we want to return to Seoul and open up our own store.”

               Yoongi smirks. “With what resources are you going to do that?”

               Taehyung glowers at him. “We saved up with everything we earned here!”

               “What type of store do you even want to open?”

               “Lamb skewer business!” Taehyung beams at him right as Jungkook leaps over to cover his mouth.

               A sudden change overcomes Yoongi. “Yah, Jeon Jungkook! You said you’d open that with me!”

               Jungkook retaliates with punches of his own as Yoongi batters him. A fist jabs into Yoongi’s side and he doubles over. He clutches his healed bullet wound and peers up at Jungkook who fights between escaping and helping.

               “Even after all I’ve done for you,” he cries dramatically on the ground, “You’ve betrayed me for Taehyung.”

               Jungkook reaches out towards his friend but not before Taehyung runs up to the both of them. He yells, “Taekook forever!” before grabbing Jungkook’s arm. The two quickly dash away from Yoongi who scrambles to his feet.

               Like an unusual train procession, Jimin jumps up after Yoongi and calls in concern about his wound. He had fallen for Yoongi’s dramatic act and believed that he was in pain.

               Left at the table, the four are chuckling at the younger’s antics.

               Seokjin turns to Namjoon who had been lost a bit in his own thoughts. Through the time, the two had developed a close friendship. Besides Dauen, Namjoon had only told Seokjin the truth about Hong Jung Yee. They had been spending a lot of time together speaking about matters such as those.

               “Have you thought about what you wanted to do?” he asked Namjoon.

               Namjoon shrugged. “Pretty much what I told you last night. Get out of this place, whether it be to return to Seoul or not. Of course, I’d be happy as long as I get to spend time with this one,” he said, then grabs Daeun’s hand and smiles at her.

               Seokjin laughed. “Well, that’s if Daeun agrees to go with you.”

               He had looked expectantly at Daeun for an answer. She was flustered at Namjoon’s sudden suggestion so she stuttered, “O-Of course!”

               This time, it was Hoseok to lean forward. “But really, Daeun, what do you want to do?”

               The way he asked that question and looked straight at her made her feel extremely uncomfortable.

               “I guess we could travel,” she squeezed Namjoon’s hand in return, “See the world. Tour different cities and have lunch in Paris one day and dinner in Tokyo after.” She joked and then winced when something pricked the base of her neck.

               They continued talking about their future plans until Daeun unexpectedly yelped. Everyone turned to look at her.

               A low buzzing had occurred by her ear for a while now, but the small sensation of pricking had bloomed until it felt like the sear of a firestick. She grasped the area with her hand and clenched her eyes shut to deal with the pain.

               “Daeun, are you okay?” Namjoon bounced up towards her.

               “I’m fine,” she said, but immediately was hit with another stab into her cranium. She moaned.

               “I’m going to find Jimin,” Namjoon said to both Hoseok and Seokjin. He didn’t wait for their response before running off to find their in house medic.

               “Hoseok, stay with her. I’ll grab an ice pack from the kitchen,” Seokjin said, giving Daeun another concerned look.

               Hoseok nodded and slid up beside Daeun. She currently had her head buried into her arms and he could hear her slightly whimper.

               He asked, “Where is it hurting?”

               She pointed to the base of her neck and followed it through to the back. Wherever her finger had traced left a burning trail in its wake. She could feel another wave of fire coming when instead, Hoseok’s finger massaged her scalp.

               “Does that help?” he asked gently.

               “Yes,” she said, surprised by the simple action. The headache seemed to simmer down at the magic his fingers were performing.

               “It’s been a while, hasn’t it?” he said.

               She didn’t quite understand his question.

               “Your headache. It’s the same as when you used to get them whenever somebody lied around you,” he said. His movements slowly migrated upwards to where she had pointed previously.

               “How did you know?”

               He laughed. “Remember how you’d always complain about getting them around me? I recognize that look on your face when you get a headache. And saying that, I know you’ll be better soon.” He took her hand and held it in his.

               His hand was warm and it comforted her. It was odd. Should she not have felt comfort when Namjoon rushed out to find Jimin?

               Seokjin returned with the ice pack.

               Or perhaps she should have felt comfort when Seokjin brought the ice pack.

               Hoseok took it from him and held it to the base of her neck, keeping her head tilted forward and looking to the ground.

               She didn’t though.

               She saw Hoseok’s hand still tightly holding hers. They squeezed her fingers in his and every so often, he would the top of her hand with his thumb. It was in that she found comfort.

               At that realization, the headache that attacked her so out of the blue disappeared. The cold of the ice pack seeped through her shirt and it made her shiver.

               Taking the ice pack off her back, she sat up. “I feel better now. Really,” she gave a small smile.

               She was unable to read the expression Hoseok had on his face and was about to ask when Namjoon called her name. He had returned with Jimin. She stood up and felt the cold breeze on her hand when Hoseok let go. It felt unnatural and she had to fold her hands in front to make the feeling go away.

               “Jimin, I’m okay,” she said when Jimin walked up to her, “The headache’s gone.”

               Namjoon shook his head when Jimin stepped back. “No, Jimin, take a look at her. This happened the last time we went to see my parents. It’s not healthy.”

               “It’s okay. You don’t have to.”

               “Jimin, do it.”

               Jimin’s head whipped back and forth between the two of them. He said quietly, “I’m not a real doctor.”

               Dauen patted his arm. “Don’t worry, Jimin. I’m fine.” To Namjoon, she said, “Let’s not make this a big deal.”

               He seemed annoyed after hearing that, but then his facial features softened. Walking up, he hugged her.

               “You need to stop scaring me like this,” he whispered in her ear.

               She wrapped her arms around his waist. From the corner of her eye, she saw the rest of the group looking at them and again, she felt embarrassed. “I’m sorry. But really, I’m feeling perfectly fine now.”

               He pulled back and gazed at her fondly. It was not often that they showed such public displays of affection towards each other so when she saw him lean forward to kiss her, she smoothly slipped out of his grasp. His eyebrows slightly furrowed at her action.

               “It must be fatigue. And stress from everything that’s accumulating. We are doing the meetup tomorrow night,” she came up with an excuse. She rolled her neck, feeling a small ache.

               Namjoon did not give her reply.

               Seokjin cleared his throat and said, “Daeun’s right. If we all don’t head to bed, we’re all going to be tired for tomorrow. So everyone, get to rest. I’ll be meeting up with Hong Jung Yee tomorrow and while I’m there, I’d like you all to ensure we have all our supplies. We can plan as much as we’d like, but it’s important to be ready in the case of an emergency as well.”

               The group nodded. Slowly, they dispersed into different direction.

               Daeun wanted to reach out to Namjoon, but he was already gone.

               At that time, she had regretted on not calling after him. But the thought was soon forgotten as the night wore on.

               Little did she know how much she would truly regret it.


I know... Another short-ish chapter! But seriously, this is it! We're winding down to the main last event! There are a lot of complex emotions that are being felt by everyone in this chapter. What are your speculations? Again, thank you to all new and old readers! Leave your comments below!  I'd love to start talking to all of you <3