Chapter 4

He Left His Mark // BTS

Jeongguk knows where he's seen this man before. He was short, with blond hair and brown eyes that could almost not be seen when he smiled. 

"Is this the Jeon residence?" He asks. Jeongguk even recognizes his voice. It was soft and kind of pitchy, but smooth pitchy. 

"Uhm... yeah." Jeongguk starts. 

"That's great! I'm Park Jimin. The room's tenant." He says and extends his hand towards Jeongguk, who is stuck in his place.

It's just a coincidence. 

"Oh, I see you don'y like to be touched. Hi, then!" Park Jimin says as he starts waving his hand. 

All kinds of thoughts are going throught Jeongguk's mind. He thinks of how stressed he felt that day when he bumped onto this person. He remembers how afraid he was about what afterlife would be like. 

"Hmm, I see... Not talkative either." Park Jimin points behind him. "I've got my stuff in my car. It's quite a load so can you help me take them inside?" 

Jeongguk looks behind Park Jimin and sees a big black car, a beautiful BMW. Jeongguk could only dream having a car like that. When his haze travels back to the man standing before him, he remembers what his mother told him. "Weren't you supposed to come tomorrow?" is what comes out of his mouth first. 

Park Jimin seems to be taken aback. "Wow, you really do know how to make people feel welcome." He sighs. "Whatever. My room at the hotel I was staying in had a rat, so instead of paying for another room, I decided to come a littler earlier." 

Jeongguk lifts his left eyebrow. You could've at least called, Jeongguk thought to himself and as if Park Jimin had heard him, he said "I did call your mother, but she didn't answer. I didn't want to pay for another room, so-"

"Yeah, okay. You already told me. Look, my mom is inside. She can help you. I really have to go." Jeongguk says fast, making his way outside. 

Park Jimin stops him from going outside. "Have I seen you before? Oh.. oh! I made you fall the other day, didn't I?"

"Uh? Ah, yeah." Jeongguk replies. 

"Woah! Seems like fate, right?" Park Jimin says, his face full of excitement. "I don't know if it's good fate for me, but you're one lucky guy." He pressed a finger on Jeongguk's chest. 

He's so full of himself.

"Is what you have to do that important that you'll make your mom carry my stuff without any help?" Park Jimin asks. "That's kind of rude, don't you think?" 

"Uh, you can help her." Jeongguk usually helps him mother with any difficulty she has and right now he'd gladly do it, if he didn't have to meet with Taehyung. "Now, if you'll excuse me..." He says as he gently pushes Park Jimin aside. 

"Jeongguk!" Taehyung shouts from fifty meters away. 

"Jeongguk?" Park Jimin whispers, but loudly enough for Jeongguk to hear. 

"I missed you, man!" Taehyung says and hugs Jeongguk. The latter hugs back, since he can tell that was definitely a bro hug. "Don't ever do anything like that again! I thought you were mad at me..." Taehyung pouts. 

"No, no, no. No. I'm completely fine. Let's go now." 

"Hey, who's your friend?" Taehyung asks pointing at the blond male standing in front of Jeongguk's door. 

"Oh, that's Park Jimin." Jeongguk says quietly. "He's the new tenant." 

"Nice to meet you, I'm Kim Taehyung, Jeongguk's friend." says Taehyung and extends a hand to Park Jimin. 

"More like acquaintances." The blond one replies as he shakes Taehyung's hand. 

Taehyung's face changes. He is now looking at Park Jimin suspiciously. "Acquaintances?" he repeats. 

"I helped him get up after I made him fall. That's all. I didn't even know his name up until you mentioned it." Park Jimin says when he sees Taehyung's face. "So, Jeongguk, right? Hmm..." he puts his fingers on his chin. "Doesn't sound quite good." 

"What do you mean?" Asks Taehyung. 

Jeongguk doesn't even bother looking at the two of them. He liked Park Jimin more when he was just a guy who helped him get up. Now he was quite getting on his nerves. The thought of having to live next to him for as long as he rented the room annoyed him now. If he could, he wouldn't let him stay in his house. But, since they needed the money, he had no choice. 

"Why don't you change it a little? Make it sound stronger? Less traditional or something?" Park Jimin says. "Ah! How about 'Jungkook'? You know, give it that stronger kind of sound?"

Jeongguk's face has turned red. No, he didn't want and he didn't have to change his name. He turns around and looks at Park Jimin. "My mom is in the house. Feel free to call her and settle in. I'm sorry, but we really have to go, right, Taehyung?" he says and looks at Taehyung, who is really confused. 

Taehyung waves Park Jimin goodbye and moves close to Jeongguk. 

"See you, then." Jeongguk says and takes Taehyung by the hand. So they can quickly get away from there. 

 

-

 

"The guy? The guy?" Taehyung asks. "Aw, I really thought he was invisible! Bummer." 

"Too arrogant for my taste. Did you even see his car?" Jeongguk says and then bites another cookie. Taehyung had brought cookies with him, so they decided to eat them.

"It's dope." Taehyung replies. "Do you think if I become friends with him he'll let me drive it?"

"Why would you become friends with him?"

"To drive his car." 

"Whatever. I don't like his character at all." Jeongguk sighs. "'Why don't you change your name'? Why don't you mind your own business?" 

"Relax. It's not that bad. 'Jungkook'... Hmm... Has a nice ring to it." Taehyung says and the repeats the name a few times. "Why not? Could be your business' name, or you could change it and make it your pirate name. Like Junghook! Sounds good however you use it."

"Who's side are you on?" Jeongguk says, lightly punching Taehyung on the shoulder. "Traitor." 

It did have a nice ring to it, but there was no reason for him to change anything. It was enough that his life was different now, he didn't want to change anything else. 

He thought about how he would now have to think of his future, every single thing that he didn't care about before, like finding a better job or getting married or paying bills. 

'Jungkook'. Now that he thought about it, it didn't have a nice ring. It was not his name and it would never be. 

"Ugh." He exhaled. "You said you had something to talk to me about?"

Taehyung shifts his gaze from his tasty cookie to Jeongguk who was looking back at him. He caughs and then clears his throat. "I thought you avoided me, that's why I was really happy when you called and said you wanted to meet." He turns his body a few degrees so that he can look at Jeongguk better. 

Jeongguk knows what this is about, but gives Taehyung sometime to strengthen up.

"I meant what I said. I was serious, but I also know you don't feel the same. There's  no need to say it. So do not feel bad about it. Do not pity me either. I just thought that I could tell you sometime, but never quite got the courage. I decided I'd tell you before... you know, but since it didn't happen, it kind of felt weird that you knew." He breathes slowly and Jeongguk can feel it in the air that it is difficult for Taehyung to day these things to him. 

"Just forget I ever told you that.I stull want to be friends. I don't want us to become distant because of me." 

"You know that's never going to happen, Taehyung. But from now on I want you to be honest with me, okay? And I'll be honest with you as well." Jeongguk smiles.

Taehyung nods and smiles back at him. "Thank you." he says.

 

-

 

That night just like every night for the past few days, Jeongguk didn't sleep. At least not peacefully. Whenever he'd close his eyes and fall asleep, his dreams would turn into nightmares, in which Taehyung would be in pain. 

Jeongguk woke up every time crying. His whole body was sweaty and trembling. When he woke up after hia last nightmare, he even thought he'd heard himself scream.

That's when he heard a knock on the door.