How to Hold on To Dear Life

How To Fall In Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The streets of Seoul were quiet on a Sunday night in December and it was bitter cold as Sehun made his way to the Hangang bridge, It was definitely one of the most beautiful places in the city.

During his childhood his parents brought him and his brother in the weekends to the nearby Hangang park to play and before going home they would always stand on the bridge and enjoy the beautiful light show appearing in the Seoul skyline.

Since his mother died he had never came back to watch the light show instead he tried to replicate the feeling that the place had offered him years ago, this was his happy place and he know it wouldn’t be in an instant but Sehun hoped that standing there he could recall the emotion, the experience.

The Hangang bridge was still how it used to be with an expception of some new buildings along the dock, the skyline were lit up in the background and the reflection of the lights in the dark water was same. It had all the right elements from Sehun’s childhood memories.

Apart from one thing.

A lone man, dressed in black clinging the outside of the bridge while he looked down at the cold river that ran swift and treacherous beneath him.

On the step of the entrance there were a few people already gathered discussing how long will it take for the police to arrive. Sehun joined them in their shock and wondering.

The three men beside Sehun were arguing about what to do and what not to which wasn’t helping the situation at all. Suddenly adrenaline pumped through his heart and Sehun took a step forward. The icy wind hit him like a slap across the face almost, His ears were aching from the cold and nose was numb.

The tide was high in the Han river, water was black, murky and uninvited. Sehun detached himself from the people gathered behind him. His view of the man grew clearer, a man standing on the wrong side of the railings, his feet on the narrow ridge above the water. It was too late to go back now.

“Hello” Sehun called for him gently not wanting him to give him a fright and sending him into the water.

 

“Please don’t be surprised, am not going to touch you” despite trying to be heard over the breeze Sehun kept his voice calm and clear with a soft expression on his face.

The guy turned to look at Sehun and then his eyes went back to the water, staring at the river. He seemed too deep in his thoughts to notice.

“My name is Sehun” he said taking slow, steady steps towards him, Sehun wanted to be able to see his face.

“Don’t come any closer” the man shouted sounding panicked.

Sehun stopped, he was already an arms length away from him, he could grab his hand if he needed to any moment.

“Okay, okay I am staying here but I don’t want you to fall”

He turned to see how far Sehun was standing from him.

“Fall?” He looked up at Sehun quickly and their eyes met. Sehun guessed that the man was in his late twenties probably, he was tall, hair hidden beneath a woollen hat. His brown eyes was staring back at him,pupils so blown out that Sehun wondered if was drunk or even worse on drugs.

“Do you think I care if I fall? Do you think I am standing here for the view? Saying he went back to concentrating on the river.

“what’s your name?”

“I don’t need your help leave me alone” He snapped but it came off more like a request than a demand. Sehun’s heart beat increased each time his knuckles slightly loosened around the iron railings.

“Look nobody’s is going to come near you unless I say so, there is no rush, no panic you don’t need to do anything without thinking it through. All I am asking you is to talk to me?”

The man was silent at least he hadn’t already jumped.

“Can I know your name?” He pressed gently.

There was nothing from him and Sehun felt panic festering inside of him as a wave of emotion rushed through his mind. Helplessly he glanced back at the now crowd of spectators watching them.

“Chanyeol” he spoke.

Sehun instantly felt relieved. He had read somewhere that a person attempting suicide needed to be reminded that there were people thinking about them, that they were loved and wanted even if they felt it or not. Sehun’s mind raced in order to figure out what to say.

“I just want to help you” Sehun said.

“There is no point of helping”

“I would like to try, I would like to hear what you have to say” Sehun told him trying to sound as positive as he could given the circumstances.

Chanyeol didn’t answer but he shook his head dejectedly.

“Give me a chance and we can look at the choices that seems so hard to see right now but they do exist, for now let me help you.  Let me help you to safety”

Chanyeol looked up at him, his expression forlorn, he mouthed a sorry before his fingers loosened from the bars and his body immediately leaned forward away from the railings.

“No!” Sehun dashed forward pushing his arms through the railings he wrapped them around the man’s chest pulling him back so hard that he slammed into the railings.

Sehun’s own body was pressed close to him, he wasn’t going to let the stranger slip away so easily. Sehun buried his face in his woolly hat squeezing his eyes shut. Waiting in baited breath for him to pull away or protest because Sehun was sure he wouldn’t be able to hold onto Chanyeol much longer, he hoped the police nearby would step in to help.

He smelled fresh like he had just taken a shower with a lingering scent of a musky cologne definitely not how someone who was planning to jump of a bridge.

“What are you doing?” He panted.

“Don’t do it...please don’t” Sehun whispered on the verge of tears.

“Take your hands off me” Chanyeol said trying to shake himself out of Sehun’s hold.

“No” Sehun cried out shaking his head, he squeezed his hands tighter. Ignoring the tears blurring his eyes, “Please listen, you don’t have to end your life. The pain that you are feeling right now, the pain that you go through everyday maybe no one understands you...but believe me I do”

Sehun was so focused on getting his words out he hadn’t notice that Chanyeol had turned his head and he was staring at him. They were nose to nose, He was studying Sehun’s face as if looking for more than he what he could see.

“It’s a moment, and moments pass. You probably think that no one cares, or that they’ll get over you but no one wants this for anyone. You might feel there is options are options but there are and you will get through this. Let’s just get down and talk about it” The tears were running down Sehun’s face.

Sehun saw that his big eyes filling up too, Chanyeol swallowed hard like he was weighing down his options. Live or die. Sehun thought of the next thing that he should say, something positive that won’t trigger him back to that place. But he didn’t have a chance to say because Chanyeol spoke first.

“I want it to end.’ His voice shaking “It hurts.’’

“What hurts?’

‘’Living” Chanyeol let out a weak laugh. Waking up everyday has been the worst part of my life”

It definitely wasn’t a good idea to talk about his life problems when he was hanging off the bridge, “I want to know everything you have to say but let’s go down now, please” Sehun said, concerned.

He closed his eyes and murmured quietly more to himself than to Sehun “It’s too much and it’s too late, I can’t change things anymore” he leaned back letting his head rest on Sehun’s shoulder. They were oddly close for two strangers.

“It’s never too late. Trust me, it’s possible for your life to change. I can help you,’ Sehun’s voice was a mere whisper since his ears were close to his lips.

He looked Sehun in the eye and Sehun couldn’t look away, the man seemed so lost.

“And what happens if it doesn’t work? If everything doesn’t change like you say it will”

“It will”

“But What if it doesn’t?”

“I’m telling you it will” Get him off the bridge. Sehun reminded himself.

Chanyeol studied Sehun, his jaw hardening “If it doesn’t, I swear I’ll do this again” he threatened “Il find another way”

“Fine” Sehun replied confidently, “If your life doesn’t change, it’s your decision what you do. But I’m telling you that it will. I’ll show you how amazing life can be. I promise you”

“It’s a deal” Chanyeol answered.

Deal? Dread immediately flooded into Sehun’s mind. He had never intended on making any deal not that he would talk about it right now, all he wanted was to get the man off the brid

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter