CHAPTER 6

Blending In

With all the things that happened last night, Hyewon woke up with a big smile on her face. The art student happily prepared to go to her university, grabbing her bag and phone she went out of her apartment.

Hyewon tried to hide her smile, though she was successful she forgot that she also had an encounter with Yena yesterday. Which is why as she turned a corner, she was greeted by her three friends smiling smugly at her.

“Kwangbae!” Yena exclaimed with a knowing smile on her face.

“Seems like you’re in a good mood, huh?” Sakura joined the girl.

“This energy,” Yujin teased, “Is so full of love.”

Hyewon groaned, trying to walk past her friends but to no avail the three of them quickly grabbed her and put her in the middle as they walk.

“You told them?” She asked Yena, who only smiled widely.

“Duh.”

“Were you not planning to tell us?”

“Nope.” Hyewon answered, emphasizing the ‘p’.

But of course, her friends would ignore her. They continued to as they walk, and Hyewon could only hide her face to other students. She does not know why Sakura and Yeana are even there since they go to different buildings, and would have classes by now.

“Don’t you have classes?” She asked the two.

“This is much important.” Sakura teased.

Yena nodded along, “Teasing you is our priority.”

Groaning, Hyewon pushed the two lightly. “Go to your classes.”

Laughing at their annoyed friend, Sakura and Yena waved their hands.

“We’ll see each other at lunch!”

“I hope not.” Hyewon whispered.

She started to walk again, until she felt someone pouncing behind her only to hear a familiar giggle.

“Oh, right. We’re classmates.” She deadpanned.

“Deal with it.” Yujin smiled and dragged Hyewon to their class, with the latter knowing that she would hear nonstop teasing from the girl.

 

///

 

“So, as you’ve heard from Ms. Choi, we’re going to combine our projects.” Ms. Kang announced to the class which earned a series of yes from the students.

“I’ll give this time for you guys to think about your project.” She smiled at them and let the students do their own thing.

Ms. Kang’s class is Hyewon’s personal favorite because it is more of a practical work, and the instructor knows her . Which is why all the students have easels in front of them, since majority of this class are creating their arts.

Yujin and Hyewon are talking about the project just as what Ms. Kang instructed. Yujin was having a hard time to decide what she would draw for their project, asking the older girl for advices.

“Just do what you want.” Hyewon looking at the canvas in front of her.

“But I don’t know what to draw,” Yujin whined, “Or paint. I’m not even sure what I’m going to do.” She groaned out.

Waiting for a reply from the older girl, Yujin looked at Hyewon only to see the latter in her own world again. Staring at the canvas in front of her, while twirling the pencil she’s holding.

“What are you going to do?” She decided to ask Hyewon, who looked at her.

“I’m not sure either.” Hyewon sighed.

“Why not draw Minju?” The younger girl suggested.

“It won’t give her beauty justice.”

Disgusting. Yujin thought, she didn’t expect that answer from the older girl.

“Paint her then.”

“No.” Hyewon quickly rejected that idea.

“Unnie, come on.” Yujin said, “At some point you’re gonna have to paint someone.”

“I don’t know Yujin-ah.” The older girl sighed, contemplating the suggestion of the girl beside her.

“For what it’s worth, I think she would be the one.” Yujin smiled, which was returned by the older girl.

“And to be honest, your promise to yourself is the most idiotic promise for an art student.” Yujin added, earning a smack from Hyewon.

“Shut up.”

“It’s romantic though,” Yujin teased, “Disgusting, but romantic.”

Hyewon glared at the younger girl who was already laughing, but she could not help but to agree with Yujin. Making her join the laughter. She looked at the canvas again and bit her lips. Should I really?

Ever since Hyewon was introduced to art, her favorite technique would be painting. Different colors being put together and creating an image. Emotions seen through the colors, the different , the texture. Everything. Through painting, Hyewon feels like she can express anything that she could not express through words.

Painting became a large part of her life, since she was young. She would always paint the things she would see; may it be a simple plant that looks beautiful. The sky too dark for the day which is sign of storm coming. A car passing by at the quiet road.

Literally anything. Which is why her parents always reprimand her for using up all of her paints for a short amount of time.

When she was about 9, her father dragged her to his studio which she complied happily. Her father has always been her inspiration, he introduced her to art. Arriving at his studio, she was awed with her father’s work. Different canvas showing different snippets of life.

But then her father showed her his favorite painting. 9-year old Hyewon was blown away. Words could not express the beauty of the painting, especially for a child whose vocabulary is not that broad enough. There, a painting of her mother was staring at her.

Her mother was young when it was painted, she could see the beauty of her mother. Which makes her proud of her father to capture it like that. Staring at the painting, her mother smiling widely who seems like at a beach. The colors complementing each other, but her mother was there to enhance the beauty of it.

“This is my favorite one.” Mr. Kang said softly to the young Hyewon who’s staring at her father.

“Mine too!” Hyewon exclaimed, smiling brightly at her father. Mr. Kang could not help but ruffle the child’s hair making her pout.

“Do you want to know a secret?” Mr. Kang whispered, kneeling down to the young Hyewon who was nodding excitedly.

“Your mother is the first person I painted.” He smiled.

“Really?” Hyewon exclaimed, shocked by her father’s revelation.

“Yeah! She’s – “He trailed off, and turned to look at the painting “I was not confident that I could capture her beauty through my painting.”

“But you’re an amazing painter dad!” Hyewon said loudly, making her father chuckle.

“But sometimes, there are things that we could not capture through painting.” He softly said. Hyewon stared at her father, not knowing what to say and thinking about what he just said to her.

“So, you know what I did?” He asked the younger girl who shook her head.

“I painted your mother with love.” He smiled, “Hoping my love for her could capture her beauty and show my devotion for her.”

“You must love mom so much then.” Hyewon stated and nodded.

“How can you say so?”

“Because I could see it through your painting dad.” Hyewon rolled her eyes, and stared at the painting of her mother.

“How did you know?” Young Hyewon quietly asked, making her father turn to her.

“Know what?”

“That you just had to paint mom?”

Mr. Kang smiled at his child and squeezed her little hands. “I just knew.”

After that, Hyewon promised to herself to only paint someone if she truly loves that person. The story of her father inspired this promise, which is why she stopped painting slowly. She started focusing on sketching things, random things that she finds interesting.

Her parents found it weird at first, but she just keeps saying that she promised herself to paint again when the right time comes. Mrs. and Mr. Kang did not want to pry anymore. Leaving their daughter to her own adventure.

Remembering that memory, Hyewon stared at the blank canvas in front of her. Yujin beside her still thinking about her project, her classmates talking to one another about the said project.

She then remembered her recent sketch of Minju at the library, she clicked her tongue. Maybe I should.

 

///

 

“So, what did you guys talk about?”

“Nothing.”

“How did you even managed to walk with her?”

“None of your business.” Hyewon deadpanned, and ate a spoonful cake as her lunch. Three of her friends whined at her being secretive, but she just ignored them. Focusing all her attention to her cake.

After their class, Hyewon and Yujin went straight to the cafeteria meeting up with their other two friends. The four of them went to their usual table, and the moment they sat down they started bombarding Hyewon with questions regarding Minju. Courtesy of Yena, having a big mouth.

“Kang-chan, we’re not going to tease you, just tell us what happened.” Sakura begged the girl.

Hyewon looked at Sakura boringly, waiting for her to stop the act.

“Okay, maybe a little.” Sakura mumbled, making Hyewon snicker. “But that’s what friends are for!”

“No, thank you.”

“Kwangbae! Just tell us how you managed to walk with Minju!” Yena said to her, with Yujin nodding waiting for her to answer.

Sighing, she put down her fork and stared at the three, who was waiting for her.

“Just be quiet, alright?”

“Yes!” The three said in unison.

“I went to the library on Friday after class,” Hyewon started, “Then I volunteered to sort the books left by the students.”

This earned her a snort from the three, of course they would not believe her. 

“Let me finish.” Hyewon glared, “Anyways, I sorted the books since I don’t have anything to do.”

“I didn’t notice the time, then I went to the literature section of the library.”

Gasps were head from the three who were so into the story, making Hyewon roll her eyes.

“Then I saw her, then I went to Irene-unnie who insisted for the both of us to walk together, the end.” She finished, and quickly went to get he fork to continue eating. But of course, her friends are not satisfied with her story.

“But what did you guys talk about during the walk?” Yena exclaimed, looking at her. She just shrugged her shoulders, not wanting to answer her.

“Kang-chan! Just spill it!”

“The more secretive you are unnie, the more we would get annoying.”

And the whining continues, begging her to just spill the beans. But Hyewon of course would not budge, she knows her friends too well. She is absolutely sure that they would not leave her even if she said what happened.

Until they stopped talking, which is odd. She looked at the three friends, only to see them looking past at her. Curious, she looked behind her to see Minju. In the cafeteria. Approaching their table. Hyewon quickly snapped her head to the front, only to see Yena, Sakura, and Yujin smirking.

“This should be fun.”

Hyewon was about to answer when she heard someone behind her.

“Hyewon-ssi.”

Gulping, the said girl turned her head to see Minju standing beside their table.

“Hey, hi. Minju-ssi. Hey” Hyewon stumbled through her words.

“Whipped.” Sakura whispered, earning a stomp from the art student.

“I just remembered,” Minju started, gaining the attention of Hyewon who smiled slightly. “I didn’t get your number.”

“Her what?” Yena said loudly, making Minju look at her.

“Hi Yena-ssi.” She smiled at the girl.

“You didn’t get her what?”

“Yujin, shut up.” Hyewon muttered, glaring at the younger girl.

Clearing , Hyewon introduced her other friends to Minju.

“Minju, uhh this is Sakura she’s a computer science major. And that giant over there is Yujin. Art major.”

“Nice to meet you Sakura-ssi and Yujin-ssi.” Minju bowed at the two, which received a smile from both of Hyewon’s friends.

“Nice to finally meet you too, Minju-ssi.” Sakura beamed at the girl, who raised her eyebrows.

“Finally?” Minju trailed her looking confuse as ever.

“She means that – “Hyewon cut Sakura off, “You could get my number.” She smiled, hoping it would not look awkward.

“Oh right, your number.” Minju giggled, and Hyewon thought she died at that moment. “Here, you can put it in my phone.” Minju said giving her phone to Hyewon.

And Hyewon, dear Lord, she died the moment her fingers brushed. Keyword, slightly. She could feel herself blushing, especially with her three friends over there staring at the two of them.

“Uh, just introduce yourself through text.” Hyewon said, handing the phone to Minju.

“Yeah, thank you!” Minju beamed. “I’ll text you when I’m about to move. I need to go now!” Minju waved at the four girls and walked away.

Leaving Hyewon a blushing mess, and three friends preparing to more.

“Kwangbae, doing the impossible!” Yena started.

“Unnie! I didn’t know you had it in you.” Yujin joined, making her fellow art student groan. Hyewon then quickly look at Sakura who smiled at her.

“Anything you want to share?” Sakura smiled innocently, “Or we’ll just tease you until you die?”

Groaning again, Hyewon sat up. “Alright, alright!”

Finishing her cake, she looked at the three and sighed. “Don’t cut me off or tease me.”

“Promise.” The three said in unison.

The promise was broken 3 minutes into her story.

 

///

 

“Hey Irene-unnie.” Hyewon greeted.

After her rather eventful lunch with her friends, she decided to stop by at the library. She’s not hoping to see a certain English major, well maybe a little. But in all honesty, she just wants to think. Her project is getting in her nerves. She’s still not sure what to do about it, which is why she’s currently standing there with the librarian looking at her. Surprise evident.

“Hyewon-ah,” Irene smiled, “She’s not here today.”

“Bold of you to assume that I’m just here because of her.”

“Really?”

“Well, maybe a little.”

This made the older girl laugh, “Why are you here, really?”

Walking toward the unsorted books, Hyewon grabbed one. The Diary of a Young Girl.

“Just wanted to escape.” Hyewon mumbled.

Irene stared at the art student and shook her head. Swiveling her chair, she talked.

“You can sort those out.”

“Thank you, unnie.” Hyewon smiled even though the older girl will not see it. She then left her bag on the desk just like before.

Grabbing a cart, she put the books there and started working. This work is really making a mark on Hyewon, being in here in the library, of all places she could be, she found solace here. Well, given that libraries are really peaceful places, but for Hyewon it’s just a surprise.

Gently sorting out the books, running her hand through the spines of the books on the shelf. She started thinking about her project, what would she do? Yujin keeps on insisting on Minju as her muse. But the fact that she has a muse has still not properly sink to her.

The younger girl is right that her muses on her arts are weird. A tree, a virtual character, a fictional character. But now, having an actual person as her muse? Unnerving. Scary. Overwhelming.

The fact that it may not be just a muse, yes. Hyewon is aware that she’s been drawing the girl a lot. A whole lot. As much as she wants to draw other things, it seems like her hand has a mind of its own and in a blink of eye, Minju’s silhouette is staring right back at her.

Hyewon is not sure what to do anymore. It’s kind of crazy, she only saw the girl in a distance. Entering the library due to unforeseen circumstances. Enamored by her beauty she drew her. Then again. And again. Until it became a routine. As if her hands can only draw the girl.

It’s making her bat crazy. But at the same time, light. Like she’s discovered something, a new world. Something that she does not want to share anyone. Remembering her father’s words, Hyewon started to think.

Until she remembered the sketch of Minju. Sketches to be exact. The thing is, she promised herself to only paint the person that she’s sure as the one. But they don’t even know each other. Not completely. Acquaintances? Maybe. She remembered her father’s words that day.

“How did you know?” Young Hyewon quietly asked, making her father turn to her.

“Know what?”

“That you just had to paint mom?”

Mr. Kang smiled at his child and squeezed her little hands. “I just knew.”

Sighing, Hyewon pulled out a random book opening it on random page. She’s just too out of it, that she scanned the words in front of her. Until she read a certain line.

You are the sunlight through a window, which I stand in, warmed. My darling.

Closing the book with a thud, she looked at the cover. The Miniaturist. Jessie Burton.

Then that scene of Minju replayed in her mind like a broken record. The first time she saw. The second. The third. The fourth. She gulped. Because she realized, one thing that she missed.

If she ever had her paints and brushes, she would not hesitate to paint the girl then and there.

She quickly put the book back in the back and walked to Irene, quickly putting the cart on its rightful place.

“In a hurry?” Irene smiled, yet her eyes shows thousand of questions as to why Hyewon is acting like that.

“You could say that.” The art student smiles, grabbing her bag she thanked the librarian.

“Thank you, unnie.”

Looking at her weirdly, Irene nodded her head. “Sure, anytime. Take care.”

Hyewon smiled and went out of the library. Walking quickly, going to the nearest art store. Afterall, she needs to buy a new blank canvas and paints.

“I just knew.”

Fishing out her phone, she quickly sent a message.

I know now, dad.

  • Hyewon

Show me when you’ve finished.

  • Dad