Chapter 6

A bittersweet feeling
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"Unnie, where are you going?"

 

Joohyun was startled to hear the voice. She turned around and saw Seungwan walking towards her with a curious look on her face. 

 

"It's seven pm already. Why are you dressed like that?" Seungwan continued to asked as she scanned Joohyun's outfit.

 

Blue jeans paired with a white shirt underneath a brown leather jacket. Joohyun was definitely going somewhere.

 

Joohyun inwardly cursed. She forgot that Seungwan would usually hangout inside her room around that time.

 

"Um.. I.. uh... well... um..." Joohyun looked around. Trying to come up with something, but couldn't.

 

She knows that if she tries to lie, Seungwan would definitely knew right away.

 

"Don't tell me..." Seungwan looked at Joohyun suspiciously. "You're going on a date?" 

 

Joohyun blinked a few times before looking at Seungwan dumbly. "Eh?" 

 

Seungwan smirked. "So I am right, huh? You are going on a date" 

 

Joohyun didn't know if she should cry or laugh at that moment, but since she couldn't think of any other lies, she just decided to go with it.

 

"Yes. You're right. I'm going on a d-date" Joohyun smiled awkwardly.

 

"Really? Who is it? Do I know him or her?" Seungwan asked excitedly.

 

Joohyun wanted to yell at Seungwan. Tell her that it was a lie and that she was the one she wanted to go on a date with, but decided to stop herself. It wasn't the right time yet.

 

"With...." Joohyun pursed her lips, thinking of a name she could use. "Seulgi! I'm going on a date with Seulgi" 

 

Well it wasn't technically a lie, since she was going to be with Seulgi later. 

 

Seungwan's excited expression suddenly turned into an unsure one. "Really?" 

 

Joohyun wanted to believe that Seungwan was jealous, but she didn't want to get her hopes up, so she just shrugged it off. 

 

"Yes" Joohyun nodded confidently. "I'm going on a date with Seulgi."

 

"But unnie, I thought you don't like her?" Seungwan asked with a frown.

 

"Well yeah, but I realized she wasn't that bad after all." 

 

"B-but she's a playgirl right? What if she's just playing with you? I don't want you to get hurt unnie" 

 

Joohyun pursed her lips. It was the first time Seungwan reacted that way and she didn't know what to think of it.

 

"I-"

 

Suddenly Joohyun's phone started ringing, she quickly fished it out from her clutch bag and then looked at the caller id.

 

"Um.. I need to answer this. Excuse me" Joohyun pursed her lips and then walked a bit far from Seungwan before answering the call. "Hello?" 

 

"Hi, Joohyun. Where are you now?" Moonbyul asked from the other line.

 

"I'm still at home, but don't worry. I'm going to be there. I just have to do something first" 

 

"Okay. You know where the place is, right?" 

 

"Yeah." 

 

"Okay. See you soon. Bye"

 

"Bye" Joohyun ended the call and then sighed. She looked at Seungwan, who was still looking at her with an unreadable expression on her face and felt guilty.

 

"Um... I have to go now. Seulgi is already waiting for me" Joohyun said hesitantly.

 

"Oh... Okay." Seungwan pursed her lips. 

 

Joohyun gulped. "Yeah....um... I'll see you tomorrow. I guess?" 

 

"Is it okay if I wait for you unnie? I want to talk to you about something" Seungwan said with a determined look on her face.

 

"But I don't know what time I'll be going home" 

 

"It's fine. I'll still wait" 

 

Joohyun contemplated for a bit, but in the end she just agreed. "Okay. See you later. Bye" She said before she started walking away.

 

"Bye unnie. Take care" Seungwan waved at the older girl.

 

Joohyun turned the corner and then sighed. She didn't know what has gotten into Seungwan, but she just hoped that the younger girl won't be mad at her for lying.

 

----------------------

 

Seulgi clenched her jaws as she forced out another polite smile for the person talking to her, before glancing at her mother and inwardly cursing her for lying.

 

Earlier, her mother had told her that the party had already started and that they should go to the venue already.

 

But the truth was, it hasn't even started yet. Her mother had lied so that they could go to the venue early and force Seulgi to interact with different people she didn't even know.

 

"Can I go now?" Seulgi asked her mother as soon as the person talking to them left. "I have shown my face to everyone already. I'm sure they won't know that you hate my guts if I leave now"

 

Mrs. Kang smiled at the guests before dragging Seulgi out of the banquet hall and into an empty hallway. "Your sister haven't even arrived yet. What will the guests think if you leave just like that?" 

 

Seulgi rolled her eyes. "It's her birthday party not mine. I'm sure no one would notice that I'm gone anyway" 

 

Mrs. Kang glared at Seulgi. "Just stay here until the party ends. End of discussion" 

 

"My wound hurts. I'm sure you don't want me to pass out here because of pain right?" Seulgi smiled mockingly at her mother.

 

Mrs. Kang cursed under her breath. "Just stay until your sister finishes blowing the candles. She misses you, so the right thing you can do now, is to spend her birthday with her" 

 

"I thought you don't like me spending time with her?" Seulgi raised her brows, challenging her mother. "After all, I'm the black sheep of the family right?" 

 

Mrs. Kang grabbed Seulgi's wrist, gripping it tightly. "Don't you dare talk to me like that. Have you forgotten that I still have the upper hand here? So unless you want your favorite cousin to know about your secret, I suggest that you shut your mouth up and pretend to be a good daughter, understand?" 

 

"Btch" Seulgi hissed as her mother lets her wrist go.

 

Mrs. Kang glared at Seulgi, but then smiled and straightened up, when she saw one of their potential investors, walking towards them. 

 

Seulgi pursed her lips and carefully  rubbed her aching wrist as her mother and the middle aged woman began talking.

 

After a few minutes, she got bored. She was about to leave when Mrs. Kang held her shoulders, stopping her from moving.

 

"This is my second daughter, Kang Seulgi" 

 

Seulgi robotically bowed at the woman.

 

Even if she hates her mother, she still wanted to show respect to people that didn't know about their situation.

 

"She's beautiful. I bet she already have a boyfriend huh?" The middle aged woman said while smiling at Seulgi.

 

Mrs. Kang chuckled. "Oh no. My daughter prefers girls more than boys. She's a lesbian actually. But I just don't know if she already have a girlfriend though" She said while gripping Seulgi's shoulder tightly.

 

Seulgi inwardly cursed at her mother for outing her to strangers.

 

"Really? I'm surprised that you accepted her preference though. Usually parents won't accept their children for being gay. They would even kick their children out of their house for being one" The middle aged woman said while frowning.

 

"Well it's a modern world now. We as parents should accept our children for who they are." Mrs. Kang said proudly.

 

The middle aged woman nodded. "You're right. My son is gay, that's why I've been investing in different projects that would benefit a lot of lgbt people" 

 

"Me and my husband too. I mean  aside from helping build shelters for homeless people, we have been investing in different projects that will help lgbt people too" 

 

Seulgi clenched her jaws and tried to tune out her mother and the middle aged woman's conversation.

 

She hates hearing her mother talking about supporting people like her, when in fact her mother was the one who kicked her out of their house when she first come out to them in highschool.

 

"Mom! Unnie!" 

 

The voice snapped Seulgi out of her thoughts. She turned around and saw her younger sister running towards them. Behind her were a few people her mother had hired for her younger sister to do her hair and makeup.

 

Seulgi wanted to laugh.

 

Her mother made it seemed like her younger sister was celebrating her 18th birthday, when in reality she just turned 10.

 

"Don't run honey, you might trip" Mrs. Kang gently scolded the younger girl, who was wearing a long light blue gown.

 

The younger girl quickly stopped running and just walked instead. "I'm sorry Mom, but I just missed unnie so much" 

 

"It's okay." Mrs. Kang smiled at the younger girl. "By the way, I want you to meet Mrs. Han. She's the owner of the fastfood chain that you like so much" 

 

Minjeong stopped beside Seulgi and bowed to the middle aged woman. "Nice to meet you, Mrs. Han. My name's Kang Minjeong"

 

"Nice to meet you too dear. Happy birthday. Here's a gift for you." Mrs. Han smiled while handing the gift she was carrying to the younger girl.

 

"Thank you Mrs. Han" Minjeong bowed politely again. 

 

"You're welcome dear." Mrs. Han turned to Mrs. Kang. "You have such wonderful children. They're both polite and beautiful too"

 

"Thank you" Mrs. Kang smiled.

 

"Oh, I'll go inside now. I'll give you three some privacy" Mrs. Han said before walking inside the banquet hall.

 

The other people bowed to them before going inside the banquet hall too.

 

Once the three of them were alone. The younger girl quickly turned to the quiet Seulgi.

 

"Unnie, I missed you so much" Minjeong said before hugging Seulgi's waist. 

 

Seulgi glanced at her mother, who w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter