Chapter 3

For Better or For Worse?

 

“Ah Taemin I found you, I was wondering if we could sit with you.” Taemin listened to Minho put looked over his shoulder at the three strangers that followed him. They were all shorter than Minho but the shortest stood in the middle. The hair that fell on his forehead was dyed blonde while the rest was his natural color.

The man on his right had the curves of a female and could easily be mistaken for one from behind. What caught Taemin the most was how pretty the man was especially his eyes that reminded Taemin of a cat.

The last strangers seemed to have kept his natural hair, he clutched his stomach in pain and kept chanting one word over and over. Taemin believed that he kept repeating chicken, he was probably hungry from the day that seemed it would never end.

Taemin flashed a smile and bobbed his head up and down. “So cute!” shouted the feline male. He raised his hand “I so call sitting next to him!” He rushed over to Taemin’s side and put out his hand “I’m Kibum but call me Key, I know we are going to get along.” Taemin lifted his hand off the table a slowly brought it to Key’s. Key grabbed his hand and gently shook, Taemin smiled in response which made a squeal pop out of Key’s mouth.

Hands grabbed onto Key’s shoulder making his body dip down. He was guided to the seat next to Taemin and pushed into the chair making it rattle from impact. The one with half a blonde head look at Key shaking his head like someone might do to a dog.

 “Sometimes you just can’t be controlled.” A giggle escaped Key’s lips as he was being scolded, this caused the anger to subside from the shorter person. His lips parted and a chuckle appeared “I’m Jonghyun, nice to meet you.”  Taemin reached his hand out and expected to have the same greeting from Jonghyun as he did from Key.

Instead Jonghyun pushed Taemin’s hand to the side and wrapped his arms around Taemin. The muscles in Taemin’s body stiffened until he wrapped an arm around Jonghyun’s back. “Um excuse me but I think your scary the boy half to death their Jonghyun.”

The hands that surrounded Taemin slide down and Jonghyun looked down at Key. “It’s not my fault I like skin ship so much, beside I thought he might like it like you do.” Jonghyun placed his hand on Key’s shoulder and slowly slide it down making Key giggle once again.

He laid himself into the chair and wrapped an arm around Key shoulder. Taemin looked at the two and had thought he had seen Key lean into Jonghyun body but he assumed it he may have just been overthinking.

The final stranger still stood behind Minho waiting for the scene to finish playing until he decided to introduce himself. “I’m-” his one foot hooked onto the loop of his other shoelace that was enormous. His face was aimed right for the floor but he jerked back leaving his chin to slam against the tiles.

“Oh my,” Taemin darted over to him “Are you ok?” A smile rose on the man’s face as he got up like he never smashed his face against the floor.

“Of course, it’ll only leave a bruise by the way I’m Jinki but just call me Onew.” A smile that made Taemin feel light and full of energy, even though it looked cheesy, was on Onew’s face.

“Are you sure you don’t want ice or anything. I mean you practically broke your jaw on the floor, it almost sounded like some of your teeth chipped.”  Onew stuck one of his fingers in his mouth rubbing it across his teeth searching for any imperfections that were not present beforehand.

“Nope all intact besides it not something uncommon. You should have seen me when I was younger, my skin was practically all cuts and bruises you can even ask Minho.” Onew turned his head to the male that had been silently observing the interactions of the new group.

Minho looked down at Taemin “Yea it always looked like he was beaten up by a mob of kids,  his parents always thought he was bullied. They had to confirm with me to see if he was telling the truth when he said that he just fell.”

Taemin’s left hand went to his mouth as he chuckled about Onew’s worrisome parents. Minho and Onew decided to go to the empty seat that remained Minho across from Taemin and Onew across from Key. Taemin turned to the newly formed group and questioned “So are you all childhood friends?”

“No just Onew and me, our families are extremely close so even though he’s three years older than me we were always together. I don’t know how Onew knows Key and Jonghyun though because I just meet them today.”

Key spoke making every curious eye turn towards him “Well it’s kind of the same for Jonghyun and I except we are only one year apart but I meet Onew because of Jonghyun.”

Jonghyun leaned his chest on the table “Onew and I just meet in school since we’re been going to the same one since middle school.”

The rustle of paper bags surrounded the table while Taemin talked “So you’re all connected in like a chain that’s pretty cool. So Onew you’re the oldest out of everyone here?”

“Yep!” he cooed as he pulled out a container filled with breaded chicken which could only be fried chicken. “Speaking of which who’s younger between you three,” he pointed a finger a Key, Minho and Taemin. “I know that Jonghyun is older than Key and I’m pretty sure that Minho is younger than Key.”

Taemin shifted in his seat, he tried to find a way to arrange the words in his head, “Well, probably me because I skipped freshman year, they told me I was two advanced for my class so they stuck me in the sophomore class.” Around the table noises of astonishment were heard. “It’s no big deal.”

“Wow that’s amazing!” Key yelled placing his hand on the soft threads of hair on Taemin’s head.  Key looked down in front of Taemin and noticed the empty space “Hey wait where’s your food you know you’re a growing boy and you need to eat right.” Key took half the food he had laid in front of him and slide it to Taemin.

“Um,” Taemin stuttered and grabbed the food and placed it back in front of Key. “I can’t, that would be so rude because  I just meet you.”

 Key grabbed onto Taemin hands a pushed the food back in his direction “Actually it would be rude to eat in front of you when you have no food.” Taemin realized this could go on forever so he allowed Key to give him the food. He slide down into his chair and noticed a bottle of banana milk nestled beside the food now.

Minho flashed Taemin a smile causing Taemin cheeks to flush with a rosy color. He grabbed a piece of food that was placed in front of him and took a bite with his front teeth, fearing the food might actually have been from the school. Instead Taemin was greeted with a taste that mixed perfectly together forming a sweetness and saltiness in on bite.

He gasped “This is so good.” He took a larger bite making half of the sandwich that he held disappear in his hands.

Key smirked “Well I do try, thanks.”  He immediately turned to Jonghyun who had his cheeks puffed up and his arms crossed over his chest. “If only Jonghyun appreciated my cooking,” Key held a piece of sandwich between his fingers, “Come on yeobo open up.” Jonghyun rolled his eyes but opened his mouth so Key could place the food inside his mouth.

Both Minho’s and Taemin’s eyes widened at the words and actions that Key just exhibited. Onew waved a shiny hand in front of their face, droplets of grease stood on his finger tips.  “Don’t worry it’s not like that between them two, Key just likes to act like that to everyone.” Key and Jonghyun continued to look at each other and laugh over a joke no one else knew about.

Finally Key and Jonghyun had decided to come into the conversation between the others instead of staying in their own world. “You know putting Key’s infatuation with role playing aside-”

Jonghyun was slapped across the arm before he could finish his sentence. “Don’t say it like that you make me sound like a ert.” Jonghyun placed a hand on Key’s cheek and began to move his thumb side to side.

He mouthed that he was sorry to Key but continued with what he was saying beforehand. “I have a question for Taemin, can I ask it?” Taemin nodded his head when an object nudged against his foot and continued to stay there.