Chapter 27

And then you were beside me.

 

 
"We would like to thank everyone for visiting our cafe today..." Suho, who was now standing on the stage, said.
 
It was 4:30 in the afternoon and as planned, it was time to start with the performances. While Kris and Suho were standing on the stage, all members of the club gathered. The club had no ingredients left for pasta and only a few slices of the cakes remain; the club had more or less gained a profit from today's sales so all that is left is to enjoy the performances.
 
"As sign of our gratitude, the members have prepared a little something." Suho continued. "As you guys know, this is the booth by the music club so music is a must for us. We have grouped ourselves and prepared to give you guys a little present as you go home today. So please enjoy these performances that would fit the mood of today's windy and cloudy afternoon. Thank you."
 
"Also," Kris added as he grabbed the microphone. "We placed a few application sheets on the counter for those who would want to be part of our club. We also placed a tip box here near the stage if any of you would feel generous enough. Thank you."
 
"Let's begin with performances, shall we?" Suho announced as the crowds applauded and cheered.
 
Ten songs were on the line-up. Aside from the six songs that were prepared by the partners, the members grouped themselves for a second time to add four more songs at the end.
 
 
 
The performances began with the songs by the partners. The first pair on stage was Baekhyun and Chanyeol.
 
"Hey everyone." Baekhyun greeted the crowd. "We'll be the first ones to sing for you to help set the mood for the other performances."
 
"Thank you for visiting our cafe and we hope you all had a good day." Chanyeol added. "Our song for you is... 'In My Dream'. Hope you like it." he introduced before he and Baekhyun each sat on a cajon.
 
And so their performance began; a song where Chanyeol sang all the rap verses and Baekhyun sang the chorus. Both of them played the instrument first as Chanyeol spoke: "This is a song of longing and regret... for a love that was actually there but never treasured fully." 
 
(First verse) Chanyeol:  
The cold tears in my dreams
Inside is an angry mind that was twisted and thrown away
Like the bottle we threw to the sea beyond
 
No matter how I try, nothing is left but the nostalgic waves
My heart is beating for the love I was not able to catch
Forgive me; your name isn't unfamiliar anymore
I'll sing for you every time even if it's hard
I think I love you to death, 
This is the last reminiscence of memory, I love you, I miss you
 
(Chorus) Baekhyun:
I would cry happy tears if I meet you again today, even if only in a dream
I miss you so and keep looking for you in my sleep
Tears are flowing down, 
Can't say even a single word, 
I miss you to death, I love you so
 
 
The two of them blended well; and the verses were well sung. Every time Chanyeol raps, Baekhyun would focus on playing the cajon; every time Baekhyun sings, Chanyeol would be the one playing. The performance was serene and was well-received by the crowd. It may have been the first time the two of them actually performed a song together, but it was definitely something that needs to happen again.
 
 
 
Lay and Kris were the second ones to perform.
 
"After a great first performance, please enjoy our second song as well." Kris said.
 
"It's a song about falling in love." Lay introduced the song as Kris sat down and picked up a guitar. "I hope you guys like our performance as well."
 
"Please listen to our Lay's wonderful voice." Kris said. 
 
"And to our Kris' guitar as well." Lay added as he looked back to Kris. "Listen to the lyrics well..." he said softly. "This is 'When I Fall'." he added.
 
Kris knew the lyrics, he'd been practicing it for over a week now; but it was only today that he started to really pay attention. And as he started to strum his guitar, his eyes got fixed on the person singing and his ears on the words being sang.
 
(First verse) Lay:
There's no need for words,
Deep inside of my eyes it's clear and full
My feelings towards you
Would you give me your heart that was whisperingly hid.
 
Hold my hands; I will never let you go
I will wait for you, and only you
 
(Chorus)
When I fall, it was love at first sight (Love at first sight)
Cuz when I fall, I already fell in love (Fallen in love)
It feels as if time has stopped; it's as if I'm on top of the world
I'm falling in love with you
 
Kris was equally mesmerized by Lay's voice; he knew Lay could sing well but not like this. Lay was well-immersed in the song. Every line had a hint of emotion. The song was sung in way reminiscent of a first love - that fresh and tingly feeling inside the heart. When the song ended, it took the crowd three more seconds to process it; they were all smiling happily. But it took Kris a few more seconds because Lay looked back and smiled at him when it ended.
 
"Cmon, we got to take a bow." Lay said while smiling as he pulled Kris to stand up.
 
 
 
The third ones to perform are Sehun and Jongin.
 
"Ugh..." Jongin began. "We'll be performing next and..."
 
"This is actually our first time to sing in front of anyone." Sehun added.
 
"Yeah... So please bear with us a bit."
 
"And try to enjoy it as well."
 
"I AM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS!!!" Baekhyun shouted from the crowd.
 
"THIS IS WHY I CAME HERE!" Chanyeol added. 
"SEHUN, JONGIN, WE LOVE YOU!!!!" Chen and Tao shouted too.
 
Laughing from the sudden shouts of support, Sehun and Jongin sat on the chairs on the stage.
 
"May we call up Kris-hyung and Chanyeol-hyung to help us perform our song, 'My Girl'..." Sehun said. Kris sat down on the cajon while Chanyeol grabbed a guitar.
 
"They will be our band for today." Jongin added.
 
Sehun and Jongin were the most nervous of today's performances; but as Chanyeol and Kris began playing the instruments, the two youngest had no choice but to begin.
 
(First part) Jongin:
Baby, listen carefully to this promise I made for you
If you want it, I can do anything
You are dazzling and you’re just my style, my beautiful girl
Sehun: 
When you’re coming toward me, just stop right there
I fall in love with you just like that
Do you know my heart? I really like you
(Jongin) & Sehun
(Step by step) hold my hand
(Day by day) Like this, love is forever
(In my heart) I only see you every day
Now only look at me and I’ll give you everything
 
This performance had the noisiest cheer, probably because the club members were shouting as well. "SO HANDSOME!!”, "PLEASE SING MORE!!!”, "SEHUN, JONGIN, MARRY ME!" were just some of the cheers from the members. Everyone was smiling, fascinated by how well the two can sing. 
 
"Hyung, your smile sells you off." Suho said as he approached the other.
 
"What do you mean?" Luhan asked, not losing the very happy smile he has.
 
"Nothing." the younger said laughing. "They sang well, didn't they?"
 
"Yeah." the older replied, smile grew even brighter. "Really well..." 
 
 
 
 
The next to perform were Xiumin and Kyungsoo.
 
"Hey everyone, we're the highlight of today's performances." Xiumin said, gaining protests from the other club members.
 
"Please enjoy our performance as much as you enjoyed the previous ones." Kyungsoo added.
 
"Our song is 'Day by Day'..." Xiumin said seriously this time. "Please allow us to sing with a recorded accompaniment..."
 
"Hope you guys like it." Kyungsoo said before Chanyeol played the accompaniment from his laptop.
 
(First part) Xiumin:
My broken heart like a wave
My shaken heart like the wind
My heart vanished like smoke
It can't be removed like a tattoo
I sigh deeply as if a ground is going to cave in
Only dusts are piled up in my mind. (say goodbye)
 
(Chorus) Kyungsoo:
Don't look back and leave
Don't find me again and live on
Because I have no regrets from loving you
Take only the good memories
I can bear it in some way
I can stand in some way
You should be happy if you are like this
Day by day, I become dull.
 
Xiumin and Kyungsoo sang the verses and the chorus alternately. As expected, the two of them had powerful voices; both versatile enough to rap and sing. But the highlight of the performance was the last chorus when the two of them blended their voices. Definitely, the two of them were singers. The crowd even sang along half way.
 
 
 
The fifth performance was by Luhan and Tao.
 
"Hi guys!" the two of the greeted brightly.
 
"It's our turn now to sing for you." Tao said.
 
"We practiced this for a while so we really hope you enjoy our song... 'Oasis'." Luhan said before he walked towards the piano while Tao sat on the box.
 
"We'll be singing for you while we play." Tao said before they both began playing.
 
(First part) Luhan:
When I was standing at the end of the world and couldn’t see the path,
I needed someone
Tao:
When I was trapped in the darkness and couldn’t see the light,
I was waiting for the helping hand
Luhan:
You wouldn’t know that you are the only one in the world
The only one who is better than the world
(Chorus)
I believe dream for you and me
You are the long waited rain in my draughty day. 
You soaked my heart and gave me courage
Tao:
You make me fly and smile again
Coming into my arms and 
Giving happiness silently just like a rainbow after a shower
I wanna make a love
 
Aside from Luhan's near-angelic voice, the crowd was surprised that Tao has a soft singing voice. Their voices matched well, making the performance very calm yet longing. The crowd didn't sing along, or more like couldn't sing along because they were busy listening to Luhan's voice especially when he sang the high notes. Tao also gained a "wow" when he rapped harmoniously, not losing the beat and feel of the song.
 
 
 
 
The last pair to sing was Chen and Suho. 
 
"Hey guys." Suho greeted the crowd. "We're the last official performance today. After this will be special performances prepared by our members."
 
"Please give us a round of applause!" Chen requested "Suho-hyung will play the piano for us and sing. And I'll just sing for you because I'm still too nervous to play and sing." he joked before he cleared his throat.
 
A few seconds after, Suho began hitting the keys of the piano and the performance began.
 
"This song is 'Mistake'." Suho introduced softly.
 
"This is for the special girl in my life." Chen smiled as he remembered his mom. Suho smiled gently, knowing who Chen was talking about.
 
(First part) Chen:
Oh~ Yeah. 
I’m still at the same spot
I’m weary from wandering by your side
Suho:
Even today, as I was wandering
Day has passed again and again.
Now I’m here
Chen:
You do know that my heart is hurting?
Suho:
Watching you smile makes my heart ache more
(Chorus) Both:
It’s my mistake for not making you love me more
It’s my mistake for loving you more than you loved me
It’s my mistake for not making you love me as much as I wanted you to.
 
 
Although the song was originally sung by a girl group, the arrangement was well-made to suit the voices of the two. It was definitely a heart-stopping performance - with Suho's melodious voice and Chen's exceptional voice. Everyone felt like they were about to cry because of the feelings conveyed in the song. Everyone had goosebumps half way, especially during Chen's high note at the last part. "Definitely, a great last performance for the pairings," everyone thought.
 
 
 
And as planned, four special performances followed. The first two continued with the solemn atmosphere and sang two ballad songs as well.
 
The first one (seventh performance) was a duet by Chen and Baekhyun. The two of them sang a song entitled, "When the Doors Close". It was a performance by the club's proclaimed "most powerful vocals". The eighth performance was a chance for Kris, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo to perform together. They chose the song titled "Lie". 
 
The last two groups chose to sing something a little less heavy. The ninth group of Tao, Sehun and Jongin sang one entitled "Because I'm Stupid". They said it was time for the youngest to show their skills. 
 
The last group consisted of close friends Lay, Suho & Xiumin. They sang "Yearning of the Heart", a light song fit to end the day.
 
Just like that, the ten performances were over. The crowd was happy, even though some are asking for encore performances. The club received a considerably amount of tip, basing on the contents of the tip box. The application sheets on the counter were also gone by the time the last song was over.
 
But when everyone was beginning to exit the room and the members were starting to clean up, Suho came up the stage again.
 
"Excuse me." he said. "Although we announced that there will only be ten songs for today, a very special song was prepared just yesterday." he announced, surprising everyone - even the members.
 
"Please join me in listening to this last song from our club." he added as Luhan came up the stage and sat down the chair near the mic stand.
 
"I hope you guys don't mind if I sing one last song for today..." Luhan said shyly. Actually, the crowd didn't mind since they long wanted an encore performance. So the customers sat back down, while the other members sat on the floor near the stage.
 
"I would like to dedicate this song to the person who... who kept giving me milk every day. The person who I was used to seeing beside me smiling." Luhan said very softly, without looking anywhere else but at the microphone he was holding. Everyone could tell he was scared and embarrassed at that moment.
 
The sudden dedication made the crowd squeal. But the club members were extremely squealing because they knew exactly who Luhan was referring to. However, they couldn't see Sehun with them. They all stood up and surveyed the crowd, seeing if Sehun is anywhere there standing.
 
Sehun was actually inside the kitchen. He was starting to clean up when he heard Suho speak. But by the time Luhan spoke, Sehun just froze. He was looking at the floor while leaning on the refrigerator. 
 
Tao, who was near the kitchen motioned to the others that Sehun was inside and that Luhan should continue.
 
Seeing the sign from Tao, Suho began to play the piano.
 
"I know you're listening to this... please... accept my apology..." Luhan said, causing the crowd to squeal again and the members to cringe. 
 
Luhan:
No matter how I think about it, I...
No matter how I think about it, I...
Though I close my eyes like I've forgotten, I...
Though I turn away like I don't care, I...
If I'm just a little bit honest, I'm in...
To the point that it hurts this much.
To the point that I look at you with these lonely eyes.
But... you just smiled.
 
 
If I stay like this any longer,
If I remain like this.
I think I'll love you even more.
If I stay like this any longer,
If I keep looking at you like this.
I just won't be able to leave you...
 
 
"You know what I'm saying... right?" Luhan asked as the song ended.
 
 
 
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N: YEEEY! Double update for the fair! what do you guys think?
You can listen to the songs on my tumblr playlist HERE  (and follow me while you're on it. LOL)
Did you guys like the songs? I think the songs would sound great if the members actually sang them...
BTW, how's the story for you? The inner troll in me kind of wants to end it here. XD
tell me what you think~~