# Chapter 5

Fragile

          In no time, they were already acting like best friends, leaving you behind. Like a gentleman he was, he was carrying her luggage smiling happily to her from time to time like it wasn’t weighing 2 tones. You were walking behind them, pulling your trolley and cursing at everything inside your head. You were walking absent-mindedly, having a harsh conversation with God when Youngbae's voice startled you.

“Let me help you.” He said gently, reaching for the trolley’s handle but you stepped in front of it.

“It’s fine.” You replied taking a step back, away from him.

“A-alright.” His expression gave away the confusion that your reaction caused him. “If you change your mind, please tell me.” He added forcing a gentle smile.

“I won’t.” You answered harshly, giving him a cold look and walking past him. He just stood there and watched you go, before walking next to your sister.

“I think your sister hates me…” He said sighing.

“No way!” She yelled in surprise.

          You didn’t hate him, of course you didn’t, but for some reason you couldn’t help but be mad at him. It wasn’t his fault, you were fully aware of that, but why didn’t he notice? Why didn’t he see right through you? He always could, so why not now? You weren’t mad at him… you were mad at yourself, at the world and most of all, at God.

“She’s shy. Just give her a while; she’ll warm up to you.” She said patting his back while looking at you with worry in her eyes. You were supposed to try…

“The black van!” He yelled when he saw you walk out of the airport. “Sorry, I was supposed to pick you up myself, but I just got off practice and I didn’t have time to go get my car.” He said smiling awkwardly.

“Don’t even worry about it. I appreciate the efforts you’re making.” She answered giving him a spontaneous hug. "It's more than enough."

“It’s my pleasure.” YoungBae answered smiling happily. “Are you guys hungry?” He asked excitedly while loading the luggage into the van.

“Yes!” Your sister answered just as excited.

“No.” You answered coldly, putting your suitcase in the van yourself. “We need to go check into the hotel.” You continued getting in and taking the seat next to the window, crossing your arms.

“Alright, hotel it is.” He said letting you get on first and then whispering to your sister: “She definitely hates me.”

***

          The ride felt like forever, they started talking about your trip and about their daily lives, making your level of frustration go off the roof. Couldn’t He let things work out for the FIRST time in your life? Of course He couldn’t, why would He ever let you be happy. You were so tired of everything that you even started to believe God was getting some kind of pleasure from making you suffer – that would have explained why never in your life had things gone right.

“So, I hear this was your first time riding a plane?” Youngbae’s sweet voice rang from behind you.

“Well, it’s good to know you can hear.” You answered looking at him from the corner of your eye. “It’d be hard for you not to, since you’re already blind.” You thought rolling your eyes.

          Seeing his sad face made you realize how unfair you were being. It wasn’t his fault so he shouldn’t have to suffer just because you were hurting. The one who should have been getting your attitude was… GOD! In fact, seeing his sad face happened only after your sister’s kick at the back of your chair woke you up from your “mad at the world” mood.

“Look, I’m sorry.” You said turning around in your chair and giving YoungBae an apologetic look. “I don’t know what’s gotten into me; it’s nothing personal, I guess I’m just tired. It was tiring… going on a plane for the first time.” You said turning back quickly just when he looked up to you.

“That is such a relief.” He said letting out a deep sigh. “I thought you hated me and to be honest, I didn’t know how to handle it…” He continued standing up from behind you and showing you a huge grin.

“Well, I don’t.” You answered faking a smile right back and shrugging.

“Seoul is pretty, isn’t it?” He asked after a few minutes of silence of your part.

          You turned around confused, not sure weather he was really talking to you or not and he was giving you a hopeful look, while waiting for an answer.

“It is.” You replied smiling happily and hiding your eyes from his, in the black pavement of the streets outside the window.

“Is it different from your country?” He asked curiously making a grin spread across your lips unconsciously.

“A lot. It looks nothing like it.” You answered feeling your anger fade away. “In fact…”

          You turned around in your chair to face him, to see him look outside the window at a café that your sister was pointing at… not listening. The sparkle in your eyes faded almost immediately and your usual glance turned into a glare once again.

“Sorry, what were you saying?” He asked after a couple of seconds, turning back at you who were staring blankly outside the window.

“Nothing.” You answered harshly, making it obvious to him that he was back to square one.

          Your sister gave him a troubled, confused look in response to his “now what?” disappointed one.

“I’m trying…” He whispered to her, thinking you wouldn’t hear it.

“I know… but she can tell and she doesn’t appreciate it.” Your sister whispered back. “Just be yourself.” She continued patting his shoulder.

“I’m scared.” He said escaping a laugh.

“Don’t be, she can smell fear.” She answered laughing back.

“I can hear you.” You whispered, butting in their conversation. They both had the same scared kid expression, like they were just caught by their mother when trying to steal cookies. You turned back around in your chair, before turning back to look at them once again. “And yes, I can smell fear.” You added in a low, threatening voice.

***

          The rest of the ride was quiet, he was probably too embarrassed to try and speak to you again. Smart choice, since you were so pissed you would have given him the worst attitude you had. You had finally got to the hotel and your sister got off first, followed by you and then Youngbae. You were pulling your trolley on the grey pavement, making a loud, annoying noise, but it was too heavy to carry.

“Need help?” Youngbae asked walking up to you.

“Didn’t you say earlier that I should ask if I did?” You asked giving him an all-knowing look.

“And you said you won’t…”

“Exactly.” You replied showing him an obviously fake smile.

“I thought that maybe you changed your mind.” He answered giving you a dejected look.

“I’ll let you know when I do.” You answered harshly – not helping your situation at all. If you wanted to make him fall for you, this wasn’t the right approach. “Giving your best”… that wasn’t it. Unless you were planning to make him cry but…

“Look I don’t know what I did to you but…”

“For starters, stop trying to make friends with me to impress my sister.” You said stopping and looking him straight in the eyes. “I’m not some kind of test you need to pass to get with her. I’m not the bad dog that you need to make friends with in order for her to like you. I see right through you, so next time you talk to me, do it because you want to, not because you HAVE to.” Your feet started to move again after giving him a glare meant to hide the pain you felt. You were pulling your trolley towards the entrance when you felt the weight of the luggage being lifted from your hand. “What are you doing?” You asked giving YoungBae an annoyed look.

“Isn’t it obvious?” He asked shrugging carelessly.

“Give it back.” You demanded following him.

“No.” He answered pulling the trolley out of your reach.

“Why are you doing this?!” You yelled in frustration.

“Because I want to.” He answered shrugging, taking you by surprise. Seeing him give you some of your own medication made you realize your act made him feel bad, so you just gave up and walked up to him slowly, glaring. He looked calm, but his eyes gave away the fact that he was trying hard to play cool. So just before you walked in, you stopped in front of him and smiled.

“Thank you.”

“W… You’re welcome!” He answered looking at you wide eyed.

“Let me help you.” You said taking the backpack off his shoulder.

“Don’t worry, I can handle it.” He said trying to get it back.

“It’s fine, you’re doing more than enough already.” You said showing him a reassuring smile.

          Just as you walked past the entrance door, you could hear your sister arguing with the receptionist.

“What do you mean, something came up?!”

_________________________________

Yeaaaah! I'm back in the business guys!

I just found a song today that really inspired me. Hope to find more of them! :D