# Chapter 6

Fragile

You approached her and gave the receptionist a curious look.

“One of the water pipes burst just yesterday and the room is flooded, so is the one next to it and the one a floor below. We have no vacant rooms, every single one is booked and we had to move the guests that rented the two affected rooms. We are very sorry for the inconvenience and we arranged for you to be transferred to another one of our hotels, in Pohang and we upgraded your holiday package to an all-inclusive one and we are going to pay for transportation. We are truly sorry, but please try to understand the fault is not ours.” She said and you felt bad for her. It really wasn’t her fault, she wasn’t in charge of checking the pipes or anything and who knew in what circumstances the pipe burst? Your sister was ready to start an argument and make a big fuss when you intervened.

“We understand, one question, though. Where exactly is Pohang?” You asked hoping it was a neighborhood or something, a 5-minutes ride away since you could barely stand after a 3-days flight. You could HARDLY get any sleep since you couldn’t under any circumstances sleep in moving transportation means or sitting in an armchair.

“Pohang is a city located on the beach, 271 kilometers away from Seoul. That’d be a 6-7 hours ride.” She said smiling and you felt like passing out right there.

“A 7 hours ride… Youngbae hardly has the time to see us here… in Seoul.” You thought sighing, but what else could you do? “When will the car arrive for us?” You asked sighing and closing your eyes for a second.

“In a couple of hours.” The receptionist answered. “You can wait here, or go visit the city meanwhile.” She added smiling happily.

“Do you really think that after a 3-days flight I’m in the mood to VISIT THE CITY?!” You yelled loosing your composure. “I’ve been stuck in a freaking armchair for 3 days and only got a few hours of sleep a night! Do you think I want to visit the freaking city?!”

“Calm down…” Your sister whispered patting your shoulder.

“I’m trying, but I’m so tired I could just pass out right here. Keeping my composure would just consume some of the energy I’m saving for standing.” You said closing your eyes and taking a deep breath. “We’d like a refund.” You said making the receptionist’s smile fade.

“I don’t know if that is possible…”

“Call the manager.” Youngbae’s voice rang from behind you. He sounded… pissed.

“S-sir…” The receptionist’s eyes widened even more when she realized who he was. “I…”

“He should know.” He answered giving her a “hurry up!” look. “I’m sorry, but we haven’t got the whole day. Call the manager.”

          Her shaky hand went to the phone and her slender fingers dialed a number quickly.

“Manager, someone’s asking for you… The two girls in the flooded room. Yes, they want a refund…” She looked around blankly for a moment and then answered. “I know… I told them that, but they insist to talk to you.” Her eyebrows narrowed and she bit her trembling lip. “I’m very sorry, sir.” She whispered ending the conversation. “The manager will be here in a minute.” She said faking a smile.

“Look, I’m sorry, we don’t mean to cause you trouble, but right now, I’m so exhausted that your manager being an is one of my last problems.” You said giving her an apologetic look. She nodded and then her eyes fell to the ground immediately, making you turn around and see a tall, angry man coming towards you.

“What?” He asked harshly giving you a threatening look.

“Yes, we would like a refund.” Your sister said giving him a “I’m too tired and hungry to be intimidated” look.

“That’s not possible.” He answered, not even bothering to sound troubled by it.

“I’m afraid that if we were to call the Consumer’s protection board, we’d get a different answer.” Youngbae said stepping in front of your sister. “But I’m sure you’d rather solve this the easy way.” He added giving the man a threatening look.

“I’ll see what I can do…” He mumbled angrily and left before giving you a hateful look.

“Please have a seat.” The receptionist said pointing towards the couches in the reception.

“Thank you.” Youngbae answered at the same time as your sister and they both started giggling.

“Can I please, have a pen and a piece of paper?” You asked the receptionist and she fulfilled your wish immediately. You went and sat next to Youngbae, on the couch and were about to start writing on it when the person you meant to address the letter to walked into the lobby. He and the woman that accompanied him wore expensive, elegant suits and all the employees bowed 90˚ when they stoop in. “Is he the boss?” You asked the receptionist and she nodded absent-mindedly, her whole attention being captivated by the perfect stranger.

“Excuse me.” You said walking up to him.

“Yes?” He asked giving you a curious look.

“Oh my… he’s gorgeous…” Your mind wandered off for a moment. “I was just about to file a complaint, but since you are already here, I’d rather say it.” You said giving him an unhappy look.

“Sure, I’m listening.” He said smiling.

“Sir, we have to go.” The elegant woman whispered from behind him.

“Hush.” He said waving his hand.

“It will only take a moment.” You said, preparing to speak up, when the woman interrupted.

“We don’t have a moment.” She said giving you a superior look.

“You’re not the one who decides this.” The man said turning around to her, looking pissed. “I said I was listening. Go wait in the car.” The woman gave him a shocked look, but complied when she saw he wasn’t impressed. “Alright, I’m listening.”

“Um, I wanted to tell you to be more careful who you hire as a manager next time. I did not like his attitude towards us, he treated us impolitely and especially his attitude towards the receptionist, who was terrified to call him when we asked her to. This is not how things should be, he’s harassing your employees and this will do nothing but lower their performance and efficacy.” You said seriously, determined to get that a-hole fired. The man looked at the receptionist and she adverted her eyes in shame. “I demand you take action as soon as possible.” You said frowning.

“Or else?” He asked giving you a defying look. You were taken aback by his answer… that was not how things were going when you planned it.

“Or else, I will take care of it personally.” You answered giving him an angry look.

“How?” he scoffed.

“I’m sure the media will be interested to hear about a manager who is harassing the employees. Not the kind of advertising you want for your hotel.” You said feeling frustrated by his attitude.

“Would it?” He asked smirking.

“You know what? Maybe you should fire yourself. I just want my money and I’ll be out of here.” You said angrily. Who did he think he was to mock you like that? "In fact," you thought, "maybe this is what I get for butting in. If that receptionist is too stupid to do something for herself, then why should I?"

“Here, your money.” The manager’s voice rang from behind you just in time, making you turn around and when you looked back, the boss-guy was a couple feet away, with his back turned towards you, pretending to be talking to the receptionist while hiding his face.

“Thank you.” You said raising an eyebrow suspiciously at his dubious behavior, taking the envelope and putting it in your handbag.

“Now get the hell out of here already.” He said giving you a threatening look.

"Yeah..." You answered giving your sister and YoungBae a "let's get outta here" look. You were about to leave when you gave the manager one last, hopeful look, but he seemed to be just fine with it. You were walking down towards the exit when the manager exclaimed in surprise.

“Hello, sir!” He said bowing politely.

“You’re fired.” He said smiling, surprising both of you.

“What? Why?” He asked in disbelief.

“For starters, for not wearing your name tag. Secondly, because you’re harassing my employees which seems to be lowering their performance and efficacy.” He said thoughtfully as if that had been a breakthrough for him. “Please clear out your office.” He looked at you and you immediately tried to hide your surprise and confusion but he saw right though you. “I was just teasing you.” He said chuckling. “You were just so into it... Cute.” He said showing you an amused smile. "You're a feisty one."

“Sir, we really have to go!” the beautiful woman from earlier said from the entrance.

“I’m coming. Oh, by the way, we no longer have a manager, someone’s gonna get a promotion~.” He said singing the last part.

           He left elegantly, leaving you there dumbfounded.

“Who was that guuuuuy?” Your sister asked running to you right after he left. “He was GORGEOUS! Don’t tell me he’s another one of your correspondents.” She said laughing. “Oh my! You’re blushing!” She yelled excitedly, biting her lip.

“He was the boss… and I’M NOT! Whatever, what now?” You asked sighing at the thought of having to look for a hotel.

“Look, you’re tired. I don’t want to be pushy, but come crash over at my place for the night and you’ll go look for a hotel tomorrow. How about it?” Youngbae asked giving you both a concerned look.

“I don’t know…” Your sister mumbled not knowing what to do in this situation. You never prepared her for it.

“That would be amazing…” You said hugging him tightly. For a moment there, you were so tired you forgot about the switch. “Thank you.” You said placing your head over his chest and closing your eyes for a second.

“Your heart is beating so fast… what are you so nervous about?” You thought feeling your tiredness fly away. “If only you could hear my heart… you’d know too, that they’re beating in sync.”

          Your sister’s eyes grew softer as she watched you hug him so tightly. He didn’t even try to resist, he didn’t even pat your back, because she could feel he didn’t want you to let go.

“Oh!” Youngbae whispered in surprise. “I think she’s asleep.” He told your sister, giving you a curious, lost-puppy look.

“See? I told you she didn’t hate you.” Your sister answered giggling. “Should I wake her up?”

“No, she’s sleeping so peacefully.” He said smiling sweetly.

“I’ll go call the driver to take her to the car.” She proposed thoughtfully.

“No need, I’ll take her.” He said leaning down and picking you up in a princess carry. “Let’s go.”