Chapter 5

Time Bomb

That night at dinner Chanyeol and I sat across from Jaejoong as we at the trout.

            “Very delicious,” Jaejoong said. “And it’s nice to have you over Chanyeol.”

            “Thank you for letting me,” Chanyeol said. “So next week is the end of summer before school starts the week after. I was wondering if I could take Baekhyun to the summer festival with me.”

            I looked a Jaejoong waiting his answer.

            “That’s sounds good with me,” Jaejoong said. “Baekhyun you may go with Chanyeol and his friends to the summer festival if you so choose to.”

            “Thank you Jaejoong,” I said. “Yes Chanyeol I would love to go to the festival with you. Do I have to wear anything special?”

            “Nope,” Chanyeol said. “You can just wear something comfortable. We’ll be out all night enjoying the summer festival that has lots of food, games, activities, booths, and everything else.”

            I smiled at him as under the table I felt his leg intertwine with mine. He smiled back at me as we continued to eat the fish.

            “Well its time for me to go home,” Chanyeol said pouting. “I’ll see you tomorrow right Baek?”

            “Yes,” I said smiling at him.

            “Bye Chanyeol,” Jaejoong said. “Come back anytime. A friend of Baekhyun’s is always welcome.”

            “Yes thank you Jaejoong,” Chanyeol said bowing. We walked outside to head to the bus station.

            Chanyeol grabbed my hand holding it as we continued to walk in silence. The kiss was never mentioned. We both did it and that was that.

            “Well goodnight Chanyeol,” I said as we reached the bus stop. “It was nice eating dinner with you.” I smiled at him looking at his hand covering mine.

            “Yeah,” Chanyeol said. He let go of my hand hugging me resting his head against my shoulder before releasing the hug. “Goodnight Baek. See you tomorrow. Can I?” He looked at me right in the eyes making my heartbeat faster.

            I nodded my head knowing what Chanyeol was asking for. I closed my eyes as he moved his head closer to me.

            He cupped my face with his hands before pressing his lips against mine. This time the kiss was longer and I kissed him back right away, without hesitating. I could feel my heartbeat getting faster as he kissed me.

            Finally after what seemed like forever he pulled back.

            “Goodnight,” I said. I turned leaving him to wait for the bus as I walked back to my house.

 

            The day of the end of summer festival finally came around. I was very excited to go with Chanyeol. I had never been to a summer festival before ever. Chanyeol was supposed to pick me up at 6pm. I put on shorts and a button down shirt.

            “Baekhyun,” Jaejoong said. I looked at him as I came down the stairs from my room.

            “Yes?” I asked going to him. He was seated on the couch reading.

            “Here,” Jaejoong said. He handed me money. “Have fun with your friend tonight okay? And tomorrow we’re going to go to the school and enroll you. They’ve opened up the school to get ready for the term and we’ll get you registered.”

            “Thank you,” I said. I smiled at him as the doorbell rang. “Well I’ll see you later tomorrow or tonight, if you stay up late.” I bowed to him headed to the door opening it for Chanyeol.

            “Ready to go?” Chanyeol asked smiling at me. I nodded stepping outside into the evening air. We headed to the bus station to catch the bus to head into town.

            “I’m so excited,” I said. “This is going to be a great night. And tomorrow Jaejoong and I are going to the school to sign me up for school.”

            “Yay!” Chanyeol said smiling. “I can’t wait to go to school with you Baekhyun.” We got on the bus headed for the festival. “Today we can take the bus to the summer festival. It’s a special bus route just for today. What do you want to do first when we get there?”

            “I don’t know,” I answered. “Let’s play a game maybe?”

            “Sure,” Chanyeol said. “We’ll play a game and win a huge cool prize!” I smiled looking at him.

            When we got to the summer festival I was taken away. There were so many booths selling things like food and toys. Music was playing from a band. People were walking around everywhere. There were rides and games. It was truly something I’d never experienced in Seoul.

            “Wow,” I said taking it all in. “This is amazing. Let’s play the balloon darts game!” I grabbed Chanyeol’s hand for the first time pulling him to a booth where cute stuffed animals were hanging.

            “Welcome,” the man in charge said. “Would you like to play the balloon darts game? If you get the red balloon in the middle you get a grandpize, if you get two balloons anywhere medium, and one a small prize only 1 dollar for three darts.”

            “Want to play?” I asked Chanyeol. “Jaejoong gave me a lot of money.” I put down 2 dollars as the man gave us 6 darts. “I hope I get the red balloon.” I grabbed a dart throwing it towards the middle, but it missed and fell on the ground.

            “You can do it Baek!” Chanyeol said patting my shoulder. I picked up another dart throwing it it popped a balloon, just not the right one. It was one away from the red balloon. I threw my last dart hitting another balloon.

            “Medium prize,” the man said. He reached under the counter handing me a bucket of the medium stuffed animals. I look through them deciding on a yellow puppy.

            “Chanyeol your turn,” I said. Chanyeol grabbed a dart throwing it but missing the red balloon. I watched him as his face scrunched up in concentration.

            Chanyeol threw another dart and it popped the red one.

            “Grand prize!” the man said smiling. “Choose anyone from the top shelf.” Chanyeol looked at the animals hanging above him.

            “Baekhyun which one do you want?” he asked looking at me smiling. “Choose.” I looked up at the hanging stuffed animals.

            “I like the panda,” I said pointing to it. The man got the panda handing it to me.

            “Thank you for playing,” the man said. We smiled leaving the booth. Chanyeol smiled.

            “Thank you for giving me your prize,” I said hugging the bear. “You can have the puppy.” I handed him the dog.

            “Thank you Baek,” Chanyeol said. “I love it.” He kissed the puppy smiling. “Want to go on the roller coaster?”

            “Okay,” I said. “But I’m sort of scared or roller coasters.”

            “I’ll protect you then,” Chanyeol said. I headed with him to the roller coaster. We got a spot on the roller coaster as it started sending us up the hill. “Are you scared?”

            “Yes,” I said shaking. I closed my eyes taking a deep breath to try and calm down. Chanyeol wrapped his arm around me.

            “Better?” Chanyeol asked as we were reaching the top. I shook my head no, but there was no stopping it now. The roller coaster started the decent down the hill. I opened my mouth screaming at the top of my lungs.

            Chanyeol looked at me laughing his arm still around me the whole time. The roller coaster kept going until it finally reached the end.

            “That was awesome!” Chanyeol said getting out of the car. He offered me his hand as I got out shaking. “Are you okay Baek?” I shook my head. “Sorry.”

            “It’s fine,” I said. “I guess it was a little fun. Aside from screaming so loud.” Chanyeol hugged me smiling. “Why are you smiling?”

            “Cause,” Chanyeol said. “You being scared was kind of cute. Want to get some food? I’m hungry and I heard this festival has American style food.”

            “Okay,” I said. I took out my money. “I’ll buy us food.” We headed to the food court area. “What type of American food are they having?”

            “BBQ,” Chanyeol answered. “Steak, chicken, and ribs stuff. I want to try the ribs.”

            “What are they made from?” I asked. “I’d had Korean ribs, but American ribs? I was curious.

            “Pork I think?” Chanyeol said. “I don’t really know. We’ll find out.” We found a booth next to a big grill serving the ribs. “Can we get two rib plates?”

            “And two drinks,” I said. I handed the worker the money as we got soda and waited for our order. “Well whatever ribs are they smell amazing! Totally something different!”

            “Find us a table,” Chanyeol said. “I’ll bring the food when it comes okay?” I smiled nodding heading to a table waiting for Chanyeol. In no time Chanyeol walked over to the table with two plates of ribs, biscuits, and corn. “Here you go.”

            “This looks amazing,” I said smelling the scent of the ribs. Chanyeol sat down across of me and we began eating our food. And let me tell you, for a Korean who never had American food in my life (and who knows if this was truly American style ribs), it was about the best thing ever. Ribs were my new favorite food. The BBQ sauce and eating them with your hands made it messy, but it was delicious. “These are so good!”

            “I know,” Chanyeol said. He looked up from eating with sauce on his mouth. I laughed. “What’s so funny Baekhyun?”

            “You have sauce all over your mouth,” I said handing him a napkin. I continued eating trying to not make a mess, but of course it was impossible.

            “You too Baek,” Chanyeol said. He handed me a napkin as I wiped my mouth. “These are amazing!”

            “I know,” I said smiling. “These ribs are so good and so different from other foods I’ve ever had.” We continued to eat our ribs and corn enjoying the summer festival as the night progressed.