20

Take My Hand

 

 

 

9:34pm. Patio.

Lee’s residence.

 

I put my phone against my ear one last time, hoping and praying that I would finally get to hear Yerim’s voice and not that continuous annoying voice of a ing lady that’s been around everyone’s phone for who-knows how many damn years already.

 

“The number you have dialed is-“

 

“Aish!”

 

I ended the phone call once I heard the same dreaded voice yet again before slamming my phone down on the table in front of me.

 

All of a sudden, I feel my heart squeeze and my hands get even clammier than they already were at this point. Yes, I am scared as and incredibly worried. Yerim hasn’t texted back to a single message I’ve sent her nor picked up any of my calls. I’ve been messaging her since five hours ago and now the worry is starting to get to my nerves.

 

Since I left her alone at school earlier, the feeling of regret wouldn’t leave me alone and kept on washing over me even as I entered my home to greet my parents today. But really, as much as I wanted to take her home, the talk with my parents was just too important to miss since well…it’ll probably change my life forever.

 

I sighed, thinking back on the conversation between my parents, noona, and I.

 

------------------------

 

 

“So about our move to London, there’s only two months left before we leave this country for good. Are you guys ready?” Dad said along with exciting eyes looking over at us.

 

My eyes widened at the sudden information I just heard. “W-what??”

 

My parents looked at me weirdly, as if I was some unbelievable thing to them. “Son, haven’t we discussed about this already?”

 

“Taemin,” I heard my noona call out to me as she rested a hand on my shoulder. “We talked about this a month ago, remember?”

 

Then the sudden realization crashed on me like harsh ice water. My heart beat quickened as I felt myself overcome with some kind of fear. That’s right. We talked about leaving for London, which both noona and I agreed to carelessly just a month ago. How could I forget! I knew I would regret this sooner or later.

 

My mouth opened up as I voiced out a silent “oh” in response. How pathetic of me.

 

Yerim…what about Yerim??

 

My parents smiled at us once again. Smiling so freely, not even knowing about my problematic state.  “So…are you guys ready?”

 

“Of course.” Noona said in an all too cheery tone. No, I am so not ready for this.

 

I can’t just tell them that I have to stay here for that one girl I love the most. I can’t just tell them that one girl is holding me back from leaving. But she’s no ordinary girl though.

 

But just as I thought my life was already at its worst point, I was suddenly proved wrong. No, my worst nightmare was only beginning to drown me to death as my mother spoke out once again.

 

“Well since we both think 2 months left of staying here is such a waste, your father and I are thinking of leaving earlier than the promised date of our leave.”

 

And at that very moment, I stood up, earning shocked looks from both my parents and my sister. No, I can’t let this happen just yet. I haven’t even told her about it, and I can’t. I just can’t tell her all so suddenly now that we finally realized our feelings for each other. This is too crucial.

 

“No. Mom, dad, let’s not hurry please. Let’s…stay here for a little while longer. We’ll leave for London in December, just as promised.”

 

I felt my sister’s worried eyes bore on my back as if she already knew the reason why I wanted this, because right after I spoke, she nodded and agreed with what I just said.

 

I need more time.

 

 

 

I sighed for the umpteenth time tonight, quickly erasing the thoughts of our leave from my mind. This is only stressing me out. I’ve got more important things to do.

 

With a worried heart, I quickly exited my home and raced towards the direction of her house. Yerim, she’s now the only one in my thoughts as of the moment.

 

God, I really do hope she’s safe.

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

I ran all the way to her village, pumping my legs harder as I felt the stinging cold wind hit my face while I ran. If I find out that she is harmed in any kind of way, I would never ever forgive myself at all. Damn it, how could I leave her alone and sick??

 

As I turned the corner of her street, I immediately spotted her huge home. Looking up at it, I don’t see a single speck of light in her bedroom at all. At that moment, I pray to all the gods above that she’s just sleeping tightly in there.

 

I grabbed onto my knees once I reached her home and gasped for air, just breathing for dear life.

 

Once I caught my breath and finally calmed down, I looked up at her house and saw that the lights in the first floor were still on. I grabbed my phone and switched it on, checking the time on it. 10:15pm.

 

As I walked towards their main door and knocked quite loudly on it, I silently hoped that her parents or at least someone in there was still awake.

 

And as if my prayers were finally answered, the door swung open, revealing a woman who was probably in her mid 40’s already though she was still beautiful. I smiled instantly, already knowing that this woman is Yerim’s mother. They look so much alike.

 

Her eyes showed utter surprise as I bowed a 90-degree bow in front of her before smiling yet again.

 

“And what is a young man like you doing here at this hour?” she arched a brow.

 

“Uhm…” I started. “Well ma’am, I came here to see your daughter Yerim. I just want to know if she’s alright.”

 

She crossed her arms over her chest and looked at me intently. “My daughter is sick and I saw her passed out in front of the house just as she arrived from school earlier today. No, she is not okay.”

 

My eyebrows furrowed as I felt cold sweat trickle down the side of my face. She passed out?! What the hell!

 

“But, she told me earlier that a driver would be picking her up from school!”

 

“Driver?” Yerim’s mother questioned, a bewildered expression etched on her face. “Son, we don’t have a driver for the whole month because he had to leave for a while for personal reasons. Yerim walks home everyday from school.”

 

I somehow felt my heart stop so suddenly after hearing those dreadful words come out of the woman’s mouth. I could feel her worried look on me so suddenly. I must’ve worn a torn expression on my face.

 

Why did she lie to me?

 

But it, this is my entire fault anyway.

 

With pleading eyes, I looked towards Yerim’s mom directly as I begged. “May I see her ma’am? Please. I need to take care of her.”

 

The worried look in the depths of her brown orbs never left her at all. “Look son, there’s no need for that now. She will be alright in my hands.”

 

“Ma’am please!” I almost shouted, feeling my breath hitch. I’d do anything to make her feel better again. I never even realized how much I love Yerim until this time; just the fact that I was desperately begging to her mother like this.

 

She sighed as she placed a hand against my cheek. I probably looked stressed at that moment. “You should go home now. Aren’t your parents worried about you?”

 

“No, please. Let me take care of her until she wakes up.” I replied back in a hurried tone. I just really need to get to her side right now.

 

And then, silence followed. The woman only looked at my face blankly as I looked back at her with the same determined and pleading look I gave her all this time just to see her daughter. Nothing can stop me from seeing her.

 

The dreadful silence was suddenly broken as the woman gave me an unforgettable question.

 

“Who are you to my daughter anyway?”

 

The pained look on my face was suddenly replaced with a much brighter one as I smiled at her instantly, knowing my answer full well from the bottom of my heart.

 

“Ma’am, I love your daughter a lot. I am in love with her. I think that’s all there is to it.”

 

It only took a matter of seconds before a graceful smile formed on her lips. My heart fluttered for a short while, feeling like I’ve achieved something so big and precious.

 

I let out a breath as I spoke up yet again. “This is my entire fault.” I bowed down. “I’m sorry for not taking good care of her.”

 

 “Son please.” I heard her speak again, feeling her hands on my shoulders and she lifted me up from my pitiful position. She smiled at me once again before patting my head. “It’s okay. Go to her room now. Take care of my daughter for me.”

 

And with that, I grinned from ear to ear at her as I made my way up the stairs, towards the room where my little angel was currently resting in peacefully.

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

I bit my lip as I gently moved her bangs away from her and placed a small, wet towel on her forehead, careful not to interrupt her peaceful slumber.

 

Yerim’s skin still felt so hot under my touch and her face looked pale and lifeless just like the way it was this morning.

 

Quietly moving above her, I kissed her nose gently and moved my lips down against hers for a soft peck. I sat down on my chair again and looked at her sadly. She looks even thinner today.

 

“Baby…”

 

I reached for her hand and grasped it softly, giving it a little squeeze as I brought my head down on her bed to rest for a while. I’ll be here until her eyes flutter open.

 

I hope she feels a lot better when she wakes up tomorrow morning.


 

 

Was it too swet and fluffy and annoying? I'm sorry!!! >.<

Oh and even though it's already quite late...hehe

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone!!