Of broken bonds and hidden mysteries

Me, Her and her Boyfriend

 Of broken bonds and hidden mysteries

 

My friendship is worth a mint

 


 

Finally the big day had arrived. It was finally Friday. D-day time. It was the day Heedo had awaited longingly just so that he could finally ditch Jaehwan and forget about him and his childish behavior. But it was also the day Benji feared the most. Today Jeonguk would support Eunjung in her dance routine because he had taught her dancing and Eunjung would try to impress Hakyeon. Benji wasn't sure what he feared more. Jeunguk’s determination or Eunjung’s undying love for Hakyeon.

 

When Benji entered the practice room he already noticed Eunjung going through her moves together with Jeonguk one last time. Benji himself was making sure to remember all of his moves which seemed harder than ever because his whole concentration was fixed on the pair at the end of the room. Why was Jeonguk touching Eunjung? Couldn't he just explain to her what exactly she did wrong, rather than correcting her by directly touching her? Didn't he want to lay down until the semesters end performance?

 

The teacher finally arrived and everyone took seat at the ground near the windows to not disturb dancers and teacher. Of course Eunjung would try to sit as close to Hakyeon as possible, which still left some students between her and her crush. Jeonguk followed her and Benji would have laughed about how pathetic he was if only he wasn't trying to do the exact same thing.

 

“Excuse me…”, he whispered passing some of the students who were already seated at the ground. Benji managed to get a spot next to Eunjung without her noticing. Jeonguk was still some spots away. “Eunjung, good- “, he started but as soon as the girl saw him she immediately heaved a sigh and turned away from him barely whispering a “Don’t...!” leaving her ex-best friend crushed and discouraged behind.

 

The first students started but Benji didn't pay any attention to them, too lost in his own thoughts about Eunjung, until it was his turn…

 

“Benji you seemed distracted today, that really wasn't your best performance.”, the teacher commented on him and Benji knew it was true, there was no point in arguing. So he just nodded and apologized, promising he would do better in two weeks. He could almost feel Eunjung’s stare and it made him somewhat uncomfortable. Something Benji didn't feel all that often. Benji didn't pay any attention to the other performances but when Jeunguk loudly supported Eunjung he immediately looked up. Knowing it was her turn he silently supported her as well. Benji was surprised, he had only briefly seen her practice and until now hadn't seen her perform before. Eunjung was really good. One could tell the dance was created by Jongeuk and she did a good job on copying his style. The best was that she added a lot of her own cheeky and female style, though. She was really good and she seemed comfortable during her routine. Benji was sure she would get a good grade.

 

The first person Eunjung searched among the students after finishing her dance was Hakyeon. Was he amazed, stunned or even impressed? Did she actually achieve her goal? The first thing she actually witnessed though was Benji clapping enthusiastically, loudly supporting her. It made her smile even though she swiftly avoided his eyes in search of her actual goal. Hakyeon also seemed actually impressed. A smile formed on his lips while he was clapping along the other students and Eunjung couldn't be happier. She jumped back to her seat, still bouncing around because she was just so glad that Hakyeon was acknowledging her. “Eunjung... pshh”, the voice she longed for called her, making her face her crush who held both thumbs up as a sign of a good job.

 

Once class was done Benji, encouraged by actually having noticed Eunjung looking for him even before searching for Hakyeon, wanted to try his luck again by talking to his best friend. When he left the room he actually waited for her only to see still talking to Hakyeon inside while acting all shy and flustered. He detested it but in the end he couldn't actually do anything against it. So he just waited for her to leave the room so he could talk to her then.

 

Of course she came out together with Hakyeon. Benji felt a bit defeated but nevertheless was determined enough to try approaching her when she was about to pass him by. “Eunjung…”, he started. What he wasn't excepting was her still ignoring him and just leaving him standing there, making even Hakyeon turn around to check if he was alright when the two of them passed him and the girl didn’t even look at him once.

 

 ♤♡♢♧

 

It had been a week. A week of Benji moping around, seeming like a kicked puppy. Never had Heedo witnessed him that quiet and it deeply concerned him. He kind of preferred Benji being a bit more quiet but this kind of Benji was not only quiet he seemed also seriously depressed. The worst of it all was whenever Benji tried to speak to Eunjung the later would ignore him and pretend as if he didn't exist. “Hyung! Eat up, it is such a waste. You didn’t finish your food for a whole week now!,” Heedo urged the older one. It were times like these where he wondered if he really was the maknae. “And stop looking at them!” With ‚them’ Heedo meant Eunjung and Jeonguk. In the beginning Heedo actually wanted to stay unbiased but after the accident in Lotte World he couldn't do anything but feel deep disgust against that Jeonguk. No matter if he and Benji were rivals in love or not, he still had no right to behave like that towards Benji.

 

Since the incident in Lotte world not only did Benji lose Eunjung, but Heedo also kind of lost Youngji. During class he only spent time with his own group of friends of whose Jimin stuck to him most of the time. During lunch Youngji almost every time joined Jaehwan, Bomi and Bomi’s pretty icy boyfriend, while Eunjung and Victoria spent their lunch with the 24k boys Jeonguk and Cory.

 

What Heedo couldn't get rid of was the person right in front of Youngji. That stupid boyfriend… and Heedo wasn't one to judge. But Jaehwan seriously behaved like a five year old not just in front of Heedo as he had thought in the beginning. No, that person was acting that way with everyone. How could they stand him? How could they endure him? Worst of all was that Heedo must have done something terribly wrong. No matter how often he ignored, avoided or just fled from Jaehwan, the older still returned to him, mostly even happier than before. As if Heedo wanted them to be friends.

 

Even now when Jaehwan caught the other’s gaze he immediately started waving enthusiastically, making Youngji turn around as well and join her boyfriend in greeting the younger one just as enthusiastically but with a lot more graze. Something Jaehwan would never master. Heedo raised his hand before turning around and heaving a sigh. If he wanted to have a chance with her he definitely needed more contact. There was only one easy way: Benji and Eunjung needed to mend things again.

 

♤♡♢♧

 

“What else am I supposed to do, Heedo!? She won't even listen to what I have to say.”, Benji whined when Heedo once again tried to get him to do something. Both boys were currently working part-time at a small convenience store in the city. Not too close to the dorms but at least like this no one from school would see them there.

 

“Hyung, I am working here with you just so you can earn some more money! I wouldn’t need to work here! In repay all I demand of you is to not give up and think of something special to win her gratitude back! Something due to which Eunjung has no chance but to accept your apology!”, Heedo declared, currently sitting at the cash register, watching Benji work rather than actually doing anything himself. “Benji, are you lacking again?! I can smell it if you’re not working!”, their boss, an elderly woman, yelled through the shop. She was rather harsh and somehow not that fond of Benji. She always scolded him while on the other hand she always praised Heedo. “Ah Heedo, you must be tired. The shift is almost over - if you want you can go already. The last half an hour Benji can manage alone, can't you Benji?”, she asked more demanding then actually than asking. “Ahh thank you Ahjumeonni, but let me just help Benji and then we will close together. Wouldn’t it be better if you leave first? We both can manage just fine.”, Heedo answered politely. He might not have liked the job and he might just have watched Benji work more than he himself but he couldn't betray his friend like that and leave him work alone just because the shop owner was preferring him.

 

“Aigoo, such a well mannered boy. One day you have to meet my niece, she is around your age. Well, then I am going now. Benji, don't do anything stupid!“, she said before leaving the store to the two boys. Heedo quickly helped his friend refilling the shelves. “What did I ever do to this old hag?!”, Benji wondered aloud. Heedo actually pondered over the same question. He knew Benji could be a nuisance but here at work he had never done anything to upset her. “Don't worry about it Hyung, just some more weeks and then we don't need to work here anymore.” Heedo encouraged him. The reason why they even started working at a place like this was simple. The university was organizing a trip to Paris like every year and each semester and major could participate as long as they could afford to pay it on their own. Heedo immediately signed up in hope of Youngji attending as well. His parents had promised to pay for everything related to school so he never had to worry about money. Benji on the other hand needed to earn the money himself first. Therefore he had to start working but since Benji didn't want to do anything alone, he just dragged Heedo along.

 

“Right, not long and then this will be over. Say, do you think Eunjung will go as well?”, Benji asked already knowing the other wouldn't have an answer to that. He still just wanted him to tell him there was a chance. “I am not sure but why shouldn't she?”, Heedo answered sensing the desperate tone from Benji. This really wasn't the same person anymore.

 

 ♤♡♢♧

 

“Benji, wake up! Today is the day!”, Heedo screamed at the still sleeping elder. He had enough. Things needed to get better and change. Benji just mumbled something inaudible and turned around, trying to get some more sleep and ignoring the maknae  but Heedo wouldn't have any of that and grabbed the older one’s blanket just to snatch it away. “Hyung, get up! We have six hours until we need to get to work. Six hours for you to win Eunjung back!”

 

Ten minutes later Benji wasn't wide awake but at least he was sitting upright and kind of listening to what his friend had to say. “Hyung let's think about it. Eunjung is really mad and I can kind of understand why she is ignoring you. But we need to make her forget about the incident. You need to do something awesome enough that she just has to forgive you. So what can you do?”

 

“I can dance.”, Benji contributed, still half asleep. “Something else! Both Jeonguk and Hakyeon can dance just as good as you, if not even better.”, Heedo answered, whispering the last part more to himself than to his friend. “I can sing.”, “Yeah but we both know Hakyeon is actually better than you.”, Heedo had to crush the idea. “No one is as funny as me!”, Benji continued, now seeming more awake than before. “True that, even though that's partly due to your stupidity... But Eunjung won't listen to what you say and jokes are lame anyway.”, Heedo said.

 

“Hyung, how about you play the violin?!”, the maknae exclaimed. But Benji was so deep in thoughts he didn't even hear anything the other said. “What can I do that they can’t...?”, Benji wondered out aloud, being stuck deep in his thoughts. “Hyung, the violin...”, “There needs to be something I am much better in then them.”, “Hyung,…”, Heedo tried to get his attention. “I know! I am a genius. I can play the violin, Heedo!”, Benji suddenly declared, making Heedo once again wonder if he ever listened to anyone but himself. Heedo looked at his roommate with his eyes forming slots of disapproval, leaving him asking for what reason he deserved to be surrounded by that much stupidity. He sighed, slightly shook his head and kept his mouth shut. Since Benji wouldn't listen anyway, keeping quiet made Heedo the real genius as he knew that his words would all be in vain.

 

“Let's go, Heedo! I will play in front of her window! It will be so romantic. She will love it. She will love me!”, Benji said all of a sudden wide awake in hopes of getting Eunjung’s attention back. “Now? Hyung, isn't it a bit early? It's barely 7 am on a Saturday nonetheless.“, “Heedo my dear, you still need to learn so much. It is never too early or late for love. Now come on, I need you to hold my notes.” With that he grabbed his instrument and dragged Heedo along.

 

♤♡♢♧

 

“EUNJUNG!!! EUNJUNG LISTEN TO ME! THERE IS SOMETHING IMPORTANT I NEED TO TELL YOU! I AM SORRY!”, Benji screamed at the top of his lungs. The boys were standing in front of the dormitory Eunjung and Youngji were living in. Heedo actually regretted ever saying anything to Benji. It wasn't supposed to end like this. “Hyung, not so loud…”, Heedo tried, he could already see other windows opening and annoyed students skeptically eyeing the two.

 

“EUNJUNG, I AM SORRY!”, Benji screamed again and then started playing. To be honest Heedo was amazed, he knew Benji could play well but the whole image just surprised him. Benji seemed so serious, something that didn't really fit him. He was concentrating deeply. It was really amazing, Heedo thought. Even some of the not so pleased looking students had changed their stance and you could even hear some awws and ohhs.

 

Just one person wasn't amused at all. “BAE JAEWOOK! I SWEAR IF THAT'S YOU...!” Eunjung didn't finish her threat but she seemed more than furious and it was good the boys didn’t get to hear what she was huffing and planning since she was capable of a lot.. “People are trying to sleep here! Unlike you some had to work quite long!”, she continued shouting against Benji’s violin music. “I am sorry for what I did!”, Benji shouted back at her. No, this was nothing like Romeo and Juliette. “And you think some stupid violin play will make it all better?!”, Eunjung screeched. “It was quite good, right? I mean I was quite good, wasn't I?”, Benji asked rather full of himself.

 

Suddenly Eunjung disappeared from the window and Youngji appeared instead eyeing the two sleepily. Heedo immediately felt bad for his stupid idea. “Morning you two.”, She greeted them, sounding still half asleep. “I am sorry for waking you!”, Heedo shouted up to her window, sincerely apologizing. “Ohh, don't worry it was really nice listening to Benji and I am glad…“, Youngji started but before she could finish her sentence, the window next to her opened and Eunjung returned with a bucket full of water.

 

The two boys couldn't even register what was happening. All Heedo heard was Youngji telling him to step aside, so he blindly trusted her, he did exactly that just to see Benji getting drenched in water a second later. “NEVER WAKE ME UP BEFORE 9 ON A SATURDAY!”, Eunjung screamed furiously and closed the window again, probably returning to her bed. It was quiet for a second. “Are you okay, Heedo?”, Youngji then asked. Heedo just barely nodded still not believing what had happened. “You too, Benji?“, she directed her words towards the drenched one but Benji only turned around and started walking. Heedo looked up and tried to send an apologizing gaze to her before he followed the elder boy. “Benji, wait up! At least she acknowledged you!”

 

 ♤♡♢♧

 

Benji hadn't spoken to him the rest of the day, neither at the dorm nor at work. “Hyung, talk to me. I am sorry, I shouldn't have pressured you into doing anything.”, Heedo wanted to appease him again. It was kind of his fault and he really did feel bad. Heedo just couldn't tell if it was really because of Benji or if it was because he woke up Youngji who seemed quite tired that morning. But Benji still didn't answer him. Heedo and him were currently sorting items into the shelves next to each other and Benji had continued to pretend as if his friend didn't exist.

 

“Bae Jaewook! Talk to me! I said I am sorry, okay?!” Heedo urged him, this time a bit louder and not as kind. “I know what you did there, Heedo… I know it all and that was such a low move. Seriously, I wouldn't have expected that from you. I thought we were friends. Heck, I even encouraged you and you just back-stabbed me!”, Benji said stopping whatever he was doing before.

 

“What are you even talking about?”, the younger asked not being able to grab the exact meaning of his hyung’s words. “Oh, you know what I am talking about! You wanted to finally destroy all my chances with Eunjung, just so that you could finally have her for yourself!!!”

 

“Are you just pretending or are you seriously that stupid?!”, Heedo raised his voice, something he rarely did. But with Benji still accusing him of such things he just couldn't lay low anymore. “Stupid? You think I am stupid enough to not notice your intentions…”, Benji said, venom dripping from his voice. Heedo thought a lot of things. He thought about how stupid Benji actually was to still bring that topic up. He thought about how ungrateful he was, because all Heedo was trying to do was to actually bring them back together. He thought about how self-centered his hyung was not noticing nor even thinking about what Heedo might go through and just focusing on his own problems. He couldn't say anything, Heedo knew if he did he would regret it later on. He wouldn't mean whatever would come out of his mouth right now. He would just hurt Benji and damage their friendship. But he was so mad, so upset about his stupid and unreasonable behavior. So instead of letting it all out on Benji, he turned around and grabbed the closest box of items, which he knew would survive the downfall and let them crash to the ground. Benji didn't say anything and Heedo just stood there still trying to control his anger. It wasn't like him to behave like this but those last weeks really stretched his limits. Since he had joined college everything seemed to go wrong. It had started with Youngji, continued with Jaehwan and now Benji was being like this.

 

“Heedo? Benji? What happened?” The old shop keeper came running towards them after hearing the noise.“ Heedo immediately apologized and started picking up the items he had thrown down, already regretting what he did. “No, it's alright how about you just go home now. Benji and I will take care of it. Right?”, she said, pushing Heedo towards the changing room. “Heck, I will do for him!”, Benji protested but the shop keeper just punched him in the side and told him to stop nagging and continue his work.

 

Heedo on the other hand quickly grabbed his stuff and left the shop coat hanging before walking out without even glancing back. He knew Benji was pissed. But for once in his life he didn't care about his friend and was selfish enough to just leave him there. He couldn't believe him. Instead of directly going back to the dorms Heedo rather walked through the busy streets in hope of cooling down.

 

♤♡♢♧

 

Heedos gaze wandered through the mass of people. He was still mad and wanted to avoid Benji as long as possible. Since Benji must have gotten off from work just now Heedo didn't want to return to the dorm, knowing their argument would then just continue. Instead he rather stayed outside and watched the people pass by. It was then that he suddenly recognized someone familiar among them. Could it really be...? All the built up tension was gone in an instant as soon as he noticed her or whoever resembled her a lot. Without further thinking about it, Heedo just followed said person through the crowded street. The girl soon turned into a less empty side -road, Heedo still not being able to tell if his assumption was right or not. He decided to just keep going.

 

When the girl turned another corner he finally caught her face just to verify that it was indeed Youngji whom he was following. But what was she doing here and at this time of day on top of that? It was already past midnight and she was strolling alone along the streets? Something seemed off so Heedo decided to continue following her, just to make sure she was alright. The next turn Youngji made lead her back to the main street. Heedo was close on her heels but as soon as he entered the mass of people he had lost sight of her again. For some minutes he tried finding her again but without any luck.

 

♤♡♢♧

 

Heedo was really concerned. Not only did he saw Youngji at night alone strolling through the city. To top it all of she didn't attend her mentor lessons during the whole week. Heedo barely saw her in the hall and since he and Benji had had that small dispute the two friends and roommates didn't talk to each other. Since Benji was still not good with Eunjung, what would he have known anyway.

 

The only places were Heedo actually saw Youngji was during lunch. The strange thing there was that whenever he saw her she seemed fast asleep. No matter if on top of a table or her boyfriend’s lap. She never seemed fit enough to even eat anything, making Heedo worry and detest that lame-excuse-of-a-boyfriend, who seemed to not worry about her. Did he care about her at all?! No, that guy just continued making faces at the other VIXX members. Making some of them laugh along while one in particular seemed not at all amused. Gosh, Heedo felt Bomi’s boyfriend on so many levels. He must have been just too annoyed.

 

It was almost the end of the week and Heedo still hadn't figured out what Youngji had been up to, but it seemed to really tire her out. So he figured he needed to take radical actions. There was only one chance he had left and Heedo wasn't sure if he actually wanted to strike that path. He wasn't sure if he could condescend to it but he had no other chance, or so he figured.

 

 ♤♡♢♧

 

Heedo was already on his way to the music classrooms. He had learned during training sessions with Jaehwan for his last evaluation that the older often stayed here to practice some more. He just strolled past some of the classrooms, trying to distinguish which one might be Jaehwan’s. When he neared the last rooms he could clearly hear that one certain voice. The younger stood in front of the room thinking about how exactly he could ask Jaehwan about his girlfriend wandering around at night, without letting it sound like... well, exactly that.

 

It took him some minutes but in the end he still didn't come up with anything. He couldn't just tell him that he was stalking his girlfriend like that. This was no use, Heedo thought. He should rather leave and try seeking out Youngji directly. Heedo turned away and left, heaving a sigh before he went ahead. He wasn't sure how exactly he could confront Youngji yet. But he was sure he would find a way.

 

“Heedo? Is that you?”, a familiar voice asked. Making Heedo stop in his movements, the young boy immediately regretted his decision of seeking out the older one. He wondered if he could still run away or just pretend that he didn't hear him.

 

“Were you looking for me? Ahhhhh, seeking advice from your best buddy! You know you can always count on your hyung!”, Jaehwan said proudly, declaring himself as Heedo’s best friend. Heedo slightly cursed under his breath, had the older just destroyed his escape plan. He was still lost in thoughts about how he could run from this when Jaehwan was again faster and wrapped his arm around Heedo’s shoulder. For a second Heedo contemplated grabbing Jaehwan’s arm and heaving him over his shoulder, knocking him out with it. But he quickly figured he couldn’t do that.

 Instead he forced something that was supposed to resemble a smile on his lips. “Hey, you wanna grab something to eat? I am starving.”, Jaehwan whined. Heedo was still contemplating how to get properly rid of him or how he could even explain why he was here just in case Jaehwan would ask again. “Sorry Jaehwan, I can’t.”, he refused, trying to leave. „Hyung! Call me hyung, Heedo.“, Jaehwan continued his whining. “Sorry… hyung… I gotta go.”, Heedo mumbled, threw Jaehwan’s arm off and was just about to leave when Jaehwan stopped him once more.

 

”Heedo could you spare me at least a minute?”, Jaehwan asked his voice having made a 180° change from childishly whining to a serious tone out of the blue. “What is it?” Heedo couldn’t be as mean and just run away even if he was tempted to do it again. There was just something in Jaehwan’s voice that made him stay and listen.

 

“You and Youngji you got quite close, right…?”, he started and Heedo knew there was more to follow, he just wasn’t sure what awaited him. Was he busted? Did Jaehwan notice? But then again everyone thought he was in love with someone else. Why exactly would Jaehwan be the only person to see what was really going on? “…Say have you spoken to her the last weeks? It’s just I… I couldn’t get a hold on her and she seems so tired. I bet you noticed as well. I just thought maybe you'd know something. Do you?“, Jaehwan asked.

 

Wow. Just wow. Heedo was awestruck. Did that really just happen? Was he imagining stuff? Jaehwan seemed genuinely worried and concerned. He had even paid attention to his girlfriend, which the younger one wasn’t so sure of before. Maybe he wasn’t such a bad boyfriend after all. As quickly as that thought had formed, Heedo had dismissed it again. If Jaehwan was a good boyfriend, Heedo might end up feeling bad about liking Youngji. That couldn’t happen and this one reason wasn’t going to save him.

 

“Forget it, I am sorry for bothering you…”, Jaehwan gave up after Heedo hadn’t said anything for a while, being lost in thoughts. “Ah no, I was just thinking. I noticed the same but I am not sure… It might be just the exams …you know hyung, she is always willing to help everybody, maybe it became too much for her.”, Heedo pondered. He couldn’t tell him that he had seen Youngji. He didn’t even know himself why she had been there in the streets and he wanted to find out on his own first. Then again he also couldn’t be so mean to tell Jaehwan something only based on assumptions it would only worry him more and Heedo couldn't do that. No matter if it was Jaehwan or anybody else. “Ah, you’re right that could be it. Thanks, buddy.” Jaehwan smiled. He then waved good bye and walked past Heedo. While the younger still wondered if he had done the right thing.

 

 ♤♡♢♧

 

“Where is Benji?”, J-Hoon asked during lunch. While Heedo still tried to join his bandmates from time to time, Benji dedicated all his time towards Eunjung or rather stalking her. Or as he would say he was only making sure she was alright. If he couldn’t spend his time with her like usually, he needed to check with whom she spent it with. “Heedo doesn’t seem to hear well… Heedo? Heedo!?”, Gunmin spoke to him in vain.

 

Heedo really didn't hear anything they had said. Because his full attention was occupied by the table across the hall. There sat a couple, the boy leaned on the wall behind him while his girlfriend sat right next to him leaning on him and resting her head on his shoulder. At first he was feeding her some fruits, but now he just let his fingers entangle her hair in a calming matter. It seemed to work if her closed eyes were anything to go by. The two were really adorable, making even their friends stare at them longingly.

 

Heedo was seriously jealous and mad. Jealous because the couple was no other than Youngji and Jaehwan and mad because he had a feeling their conversation lead Jaehwan to behave like this. Never before was he had been this caring, especially not in public. It was always the other way around. He could hit himself for that stupid act. But most importantly it made him feel like a jerk. For even hoping one day Youngji could be his. “EARTH TO HEEDO!”, J-Hoon spoke to Heedo again, making the youngest visibly snap out of his trance. “We just wanted to ask if you know where Benji is?”, “Sorry we don’t talk with each other right now or rather he would ignore me and I just leave him be.”, Heedo answered J-Hoon’s question nonchalantly.

 

After the incident at work the two just avoided each other and whenever they met, no one dared to say anything. They did actually ignore each other ever since that weekend. On Thursday Heedo had tried to talk to him but talking with an imaginary friend would have been of more use then talking to Benji. After that Heedo decided to just wait it out. One day or another Benji would get over it and Heedo could actually properly apologize.

 

 


 

Author's Note:

Heedo being favoured at his working place - everyone somehow has a soft spot for our deares maknae~ But that's the least we could do for him, right? The poor guy not only has a certain problem called Jaehwan, no, he is also constantly trying to help Benji with his problems... Poor guy... Aaaand dear ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce to your "caring boyfriend Jaehwan"! Yes, there is more than dumb jokes and random dance outbursts! Anyone out there who would have reacted just like Eunjung if Benji had tried to wake you like he woke her??? XD

-mr_johnnie