But Stay

Talk

   The cravings for a settle weekend had finally came. Xero planned for Byungjoo to come over his house that Saturday night.

Flames of a circled bon fire polished a summer smell, where the two of them sat on either side of. The boy waited for Byungjoo to say something, but he never did, giving him an opportunity to move closer. He gently tugged the sleeve of his shirt with a worried look in his eyes, making Byungjoo snap back into reality.
"Sorry... I was just thinking..."
Xero smiled.
"Don't mutes... Like..." Byungjoo scrunched his face, gazing around the backyard. "Not have relationships?" He held his hand up to stop Xero from replying, quickly correcting himself. "Not just romantic relationships, but like... Friendships too?"
The boy nodded with an attitude lingering in his language, then shrugged.
"So why am I different?"
He his lips in thought, never shifting his eyes away from Byungjoo—then stood up and gave a quick turn around the frame of the porches slide door, grabbing a used notebook, and the nearest pen. He sat back down and scribbled on a fresh sheet of paper, slapping it in Byungjoo's lap.
 

You are the only friend I ever had.
 

Byungjoo didn't know how to respond, but instead, grew an urge to kiss him, though kept himself from doing so. Xero never stopped looking at him.
"You never answered my question from yesterday."
The boy scratched his chin, then waved his finger for him to wait as he sprinted back inside of his home and returned with a small book, handing it to him.
He examined the hardcover that had Xero's real name written on it, and figured it was a journal from a few years ago, then looked to him and back at the book, opening it to its first entry:
 

November 8th, 2010

Man over heavy waters,

Exactly eight months ago today, I experienced the most terrifying day of my life, and I have yet to find a will to speak. It's like someone secretly ripped my vocal chords from my throat as I stood over the rims of the highway bridge and watched you drown... I wish I could go back and catch you before you decided to jump. I'd do anything to go back... But I can't.
I deserve what I got. I deserve to suffer from the pain of this memory because I didn't save you, when I had every chance in my power to.

 

Byungjoo looked at Xero, who cupped his face in attempts to hold back his sorrow. He went to comfort him, but the boy snatched the journal, flipped it to another entry, and threw it back at him:
 

March 8th, 2011

Man over heavy waters,

You have cursed me. Today I was sentenced to one year in prison for involuntary manslaughter... Where I pushed my little brother  into a lake, leaving him to drown. But I tried to save him...
Our family was on vacation at a beautiful lake house that sat at the top of an un-fenced cliff. We were playing badminten when I had pushed him, not paying attention to my surroundings.
It hurt to see my family potray me as a monster as the judge ruled my sentence, also forbidding me to attend to his funeral. 
I don't mean to be a terrible person, but it seems a demon keeps following me around to throw these things in my face.
I am too young and not suitable for prison even though it is where I belong. 

 

There was an intense shock that ran underneath Byungjoo's skin, choking him from being able to say anything. Xero was crying, writing once more in his notebook with his teardrops staining the paper.

You don't have to stay...