Time's Melody

Time's Melody

 

[ Suggested OST : MBLAQ - It's War (A/N: It's only suggested because I like it. HAH. LOL. Okay okay. FT ISLAND - Even Had Lost A Friend) ]


 

[Nara’s POV]

“What… what happened?” Seunghyun looked thoroughly confused.

“He can see me…” I replied, voice tainted with a little disbelief. The mere memory of that guy reaching his hand out to me and actually seeing me still scared me a little.

What did this mean? Am I never going back?

For some reason, I was back up at the attic of the school again, clutching at the few pieces of piano sheets that brought me here in the first place.

I felt nervous.

Today is the 13th of February.

The fact that I knew that I was going to die tomorrow, twelve years ago seemed to affect me in anyway. Would I just drop dead like that? Or would I go back to the past and get hit by a car and die like that? Or would I never go back at all? The dry sounds of the paper echoed around the room a little as I tightened my grip on the paper.

The future… was scary.

I backed away as I glanced at the Grand Piano of Doom. Sort of. Then it came as a really big shock when I hit someone.

“Sorry!” I whipped around, the first few words already blurted out before I remembered no one could see me but Seunghyun. But then the guy turned around…

That very same guy who saw me.

“It’s okay,” he smiled. “I’ve been looking for you.”

Panic.

“You can see me?” I asked, a little scared and shocked as my grip around the few pieces of faded paper tightened.

“Of course,” the guy dismissed coolly. “I time-travelled too. And the papers you’re holding… I wrote that.”

“You came from the past?” I stammered. To meet someone exactly in the same situation as me right now was somewhat comforting… and scary.

“No, I came from the future.”

“But then… how?” My voice slowly faded as I held up the pieces of paper. If he came from the future and landed in this year, how would the music sheet appear in the past?

“Erm…” the guy’s face scrunched up a little. “Another time? I’m Himchan.”

One hand reached out, offering a handshake.

A little apprehensive, I took it. “Can you tell me how this thing works?”

“Kwon… Na… Ra…” Himchan read out, squinting at my nametag. “Sure.”

“Soyeon-nuna, I’m home!”

“She can see you?” I blurted out, before realizing how stupid my question was.

Himchan looked a little confused before he nodded slightly, an ‘ohhh’ trailing behind. Then his hand stuck into his pocket and pulled out the two familiar looking clock-thingies.

“You have one too?”

“I’m here permanently. That’s why mine doesn’t move anymore. The locket watch shows how much time you have left.” Himchan glanced at the still-moving locket watch. His eyes widened a little. “How come…”

“What?” Panic started rising up again in me. “How much time do I have left?”

“Not much…”

“How much?”

Himchan looked at me with the kind of look that simply said don’t ask.

“Himchan?”

“Nuna!” A pretty girl, with shoulder-length brown hair, literally leaped down the stairs. A bright smile was on her face. “You’re home, Himchan. Why didn’t you shout or something?”

“I did! You didn’t hear.” Himchan complained. “Anyway go away nuna, I’m talking to someone.”

“Someone?” A genuinely confused look appeared on Himchan’s nuna’s face.

“Someone you can’t see,” Himchan added on with a smile.

The confusion slowly faded from the girl’s face as she understood. “A time-traveler? Like you?”

Himchan nodded. “Kim Soyeon is finally so smart,” he teased, earning himself a hard slap on his arm.

“I’m leaving, I don’t want to see my dongsaeng look like he’s talking to himself.” Soyeon stood up and walked off.

“Your sister?” I asked as soon as she slammed the door.

“Yep,” Himchan smiled. “Soyeon nuna died in the future.”

“W-what?”

“When I found out about this…” Himchan paused “I decided to go back in time to save Soyeon nuna.”

[Himchan’s POV]

My only ever elder sister died when I was twelve from a car accident.

It was a drink driver that killed her. She died on the spot, and I witnessed it. With my own eyes. She had headphones plugged in — and Soyeon nuna always liked to blast her music out loud. It’s not as though it would help in the first place. The car was already travelling in the wrong lane — it was going the wrong direction and zigzagging around dangerously. The green man came on, and coolly Soyeon just stepped onto the road and started walking.

“Nuna!” I screamed out helplessly, before the car just hit her and Soyeon nuna was flung out like a helpless… and lifeless rag doll.

“Nuna! Wake up!” Other people started to watch. Why were they only watching? Why aren’t they helping? I can’t leave her there alone! I ran across the street, abandoning my bag and books and everything that I was holding then, earning some screams from some women watching helplessly as one car almost hit me.

“Do you want to die, boy?” the driver shot some obscenities in my direction before driving off.

None of them… why isn’t anyone helping?

“Don’t leave me… don’t die…” the first few tears started falling down and I wiped at them furiously with my sleeve. Why was I crying? She wouldn’t die… Soyeon nuna wouldn’t die… right? She wouldn’t leave me in this lonely, dark world by myself… she wouldn’t…

“Himchan...” The feeble, weak voice shocked me a little. She… she wasn’t so weak! She wasn’t going to die! She won’t die… she won’t…

“Himchan… eomma always wanted… you to learn the piano well.”

“But eomma is dead!” I screamed out a little mercilessly. In the twelve years of my life, I had never seen hair nor hide of any mother of mine. According to my father, she abandoned us and ran off with another man once I was born.

Why should I follow the wish of someone who abandoned me? Who didn’t care about what her son was going to be like in future?

“Then… do it… for me.”

I sniffed, sleeve muffling the sound of my cries and stopping my tears from falling. Soyeon nuna always taught me to be strong. “Boys never cry,” she used to say. “Boys should be the one that comforts the girls when girls cry.”

“I’ll do it. I’ll be the best pianist South Korea’s ever seen.”

Everything went wrong when nuna’s hand went slack and her eyes closed. Everything went wrong when the ambulance came and the paramedics tried to resuscitate her. Everything went wrong when they covered nuna with a white cloth. Everything went wrong when they tried to drag me away.

Everything went wrong the moment they told me she was dead.

And that very day, that very moment, I knew I had nothing left.

No one would ever listen to a little boy’s cries.

No one. Ever.

[Nara’s POV]

I watched as Himchan’s eyes suddenly misted over by a cloud of tears. He hadn’t said anything — in fact all he had been doing for the past three minutes were to bite his trembling lip and trying very hard not to cry. His face was already red from all the effort of trying to do so.

“It’s fine, you don’t have to tell me.”

Himchan looked much relieved. “I was just… good at piano and when I was writing that… I was thinking about her. My sister. And so it happened when I was playing the piece one day… I got transported to the future.”

“The future?”

“It happened so that the piece I was playing was much longer than yours and somehow I went to some place fifty years later.”

“Fifty— what?” Okay. Twelve years were already a big, major difference for me and I already couldn’t take it. Fifty years would probably be a death sentence for me. Literally. I bet the people there don’t even speak Korean anymore.

Himchan smirked. “I know. The people there are speaking weird languages. I’m like, what the hell are they talking about?”

“And this…” he gently pulled the paper out from my hands and examined it. “It’s really just ten percent of the entire thing I wrote last time.”

“So,” I leaned forward eagerly, pretending to examine the brown paper with him. “How did you go back in time? Like, to save your sister.”

“Think!” Himchan whacked my head with the paper. “If you play it as it is, it brings you forward in time. So how do you go backwards?”

“You played the thing backwards?”

Himchan nodded. “By the time I could do that I already memorized the entire thing. I think I left those there in my many many tries of trying to cut off at the point before my sister died. So that I could save her.”

“How…?”

“I realized that if I played the entire song while thinking of a specific time, it would bring me back there. Permanently.”

“So…” Realization started to dawn on me as I finally understood. “You’re here permanently and everyone can see you?”

“Yup. However… Kim Himchan from the future has disappeared completely.” A sad smile hung itself on Himchan’s face. I didn’t quite understand what he meant. Kim Himchan from the future… has disappeared completely?

“It means,” Himchan said in a tone that was clearly hinting that I was a little slow, “that Soyeon nuna doesn’t know who I am. She doesn’t know I’m her little brother. Because when I came back here permanently, that Kim Himchan disappeared. Once I stepped into her time, Kim Soyeon never had a little brother called Kim Himchan.”

“But then…”

“She just treats me like a little brother. Of course I know she’s my sister, but she just treats me like a friend and a brother.”

I didn’t quite understand what he was trying to say. Does it mean…

“It means,” Himchan explained patiently, “that once you land in some place permanently, everyone would just forget you. No one would ever know who you are. No one at all. Not even your parents or your friends or your family. You’ll just be like some unidentified person dropping from the sky.”

“Kim Himchan!” the Soyeon that Himchan gave up all his life to suddenly called out.

“Yes nuna?”

“Are you done? I want to go and get something!”

“Not really…”

“Ppali!”

“No.”

“Kim Himchannnnnnnnnn! Yahhhhhh!”

Himchan smiled and turned back to face me. “I’ll never regret what I did. After all, Soyeon nuna was always a big part of my life.”

[Seunghyun’s POV]

“Where did you go!” I hissed at Nara as soon as I saw her running in the empty school corridors. “I thought you were gone!”

She smiled apologetically. “I’m sorry.”

“Sorry is all you say? For making me so worried?”

“That guy,” Nara started off excitedly, temporarily cutting off the fact that I was supposed to be angry at her, “Himchan… he’s like me!”

“Wait. Then how come I can see him? And I know who he is! He’s the Kim Himchan. He’s probably the second best pianist as compared to Hyeeun.”

“He’s here. Permanently.” Kwon Nara added bluntly.

“Permanently?” If only I could get her to stay. Permanently.

Nara smiled. “But he had to give up his entire life to stay here permanently. If I was him, I wouldn’t do that.”

“Not even for me?”

Nara smiled, her glistening orbs temporarily glanced in my direction before her smile grew a little bigger. “Maybe.”

“I don’t want to see you. Go away,” I blurted out jokingly, feeling a little hurt by her short reply and hastened my footsteps, leaving her alone in the corridor.

It was oddly silent.

Something was very wrong.

I turned around…

And there was no one, absolutely not a single soul in the corridor… I didn’t mean what I said! I really didn’t… I didn’t expect…

She was gone.

[Nara’s POV]

I rubbed my eyes as I slowly stood up from the piano bench that I was sitting on.

How long have I been sleeping here? It seemed really long. I brushed the dust off me as I coughed a little. Why was I even in this place… in the first place? Unconsciously my hand reached up, rubbing my neck but as I did so I felt something smooth slide off my hands. A metal chain.

A necklace? I never wore necklaces.

And if I ever do wear them… why was it green anyway? I don’t like green… I don’t remember liking green.

My eyes widened a little as I realized something bad. Turning my head to face the place where the clock usually hung, my mouth dropped wide open.

I’m going to be late for class… .

I sidestepped many instruments lying on the ground, a layer of dust covering them. Students from this school always liked to abandon their instruments in this attic and the teachers won’t ever care. Maybe that was one of the reasons why our school was the worst music school you can find in Korea. As I walked over them and tried hard not to trip, my eyes spotted a calendar sitting by the side of the room innocently. The date flashed itself into my eyes, and something was poking at my memory, giving me a temporary headache.

What was wrong with the date? The date is 31 January 2000, right?

Anyway, no time for this. The moment when I reached out my hand and touched the doorknob, somebody from behind crashed into me.

“I’m sorry! I’m—” his face changed almost immediately after he saw my face. Glaring, I pushed him off from me.

“Because of you, I’m going to be late for class!”

The guy looked confused. “But… Kwon Nara…”

I glared at him even harder. “How did you know my name? Are you a stalker? Or something like that? I’m sorry, but I don’t think I’ll ever like someone like you.”

His face registered hurt and shock. “I-I’m Seunghyun…”

I narrowed my eyes at him as I flung the door open. “I’m sorry, I don’t know who you are.”

A few days later…

“Nara unnie!” a little high-pitched voice called out. There was no need to find out who it was before a cute and pretty five-year-old girl plopped herself onto me, giving me a big hug. Her face was in a bright smile as she waved something at me.

“Yah Nam Hyeeun, what’s that again?” I took the piece of paper and when I read it, a smile started forming on my face.

“I won that competition! I wouldn’t have done it without you.” She smiled cutely, earning her a pinch on the cheek. “Oh, and this is for you!” Hyeeun dug into her pockets, pulling out a handful of chocolates. “Happy valentines and chocolates day unnie!”

“Thanks, but you can keep the chocolate.”

“No, it’s chocolate day! Unnie has to eat chocolate.”

“Fine, I’ll take one,” I smiled again. Gosh, this kid is so cute. “Hyeeun-yah, go home already okay? It’s going to rain soon…”

“Nae unnie annyeong!”

I smiled again as I watched her skip away into the distance, her certificate in her hands. Pulling open the door, I cringed a little as the cold air hit me. The sky was dark and overcast and thunderclouds gathered like friends rapidly.

Yup. It was really going to rain soon. I better get home soon, or else I’ll be wet. Standing impatiently at the cross-road junction and glaring at every single car crossing, the first few drops of rain started to fall.

And finally, there it was. An empty road.

I took a few steps onto the road before I decided to dash over it completely. Then—

Glaring bright headlights of a speeding car burned a purple-ish image into my eyes. I hadn’t seen that car coming… it was speeding so fast. It wasn’t until the car was going to hit me when someone pushed me away, hard.

A little girl screamed.

It was that guy… the very same guy I saw in the school attic that day… he…

He writhed a little, face contorted in pain as the blood started to pool on the road.

“Yah… y-yah are you okay?” Why did he save me?

Then I spotted the exact same necklace that I found myself wearing on his neck.

Who are you? Why did you save me? Why did you do this?

“Kwon Nara…” his hand hovered feebly in the air. Not knowing exactly what to do or what I was supposed to do, I grabbed it.

He looked familiar… who… who was he? The guy coughed out more blood before his head rolled to one side and he took in one, last breath.

“I love you.”



 

A/N: OTL YES I FINISHED D': My longest update. 2,798 words. WOOHOO. LOOOOL <3

Le author thinks this is wayyyyy too sad D';

And so poopie unnie, thus ends your oneshot (': I hope you... enjoyed :D

And to the other subbers and commenters, I wuv you all (:

Go read my other stories HERE . Click the here . Not this here . That here . Not that . That here in capital letters . Yep . That one ;'D

Okay, I'mma ending here (:

Thanks for reading Time's Melody :D