001 - The umbrella

Dream Bus

001 - The umbrella

 

The familiar beep sounds as I tap my bus card, 'more money disappearing into the black hole of transport fees, what joy' I think, grabbing the handle as the bus lurches forward and swinging myself down onto the hard seats.

The students are being especially loud tonight, something about EXO having a comeback, don't get me wrong I'm a fan but I don't really have the time, or money,  for them right now. I turn my music up louder and watch as the rain pours, making the black streets shine. 

'Great I forgot my umbrella didn't I?' I sigh as I start rummaging through my bag, mentally slapping myself, when the bus suddenly stops and my bag goes flying as I grab on for dear life, curse this driver, I swear he's trying to kill me. Kneeling down to pick up my stuff I hear the sniggering from the students and flush a deep red with anger and embarrassment but the laughter suddenly cuts off and a slender pale hand offers me my textbook. 

I must be really tired if I'm imagining someone helping me but I mutter a 'thanks' anyway and look up to see a pair of bright childish eyes smile back at me over a mask. I sit back down bowing my head when I realize someone has sat beside me, the man with the bright eyes straightens up facing me and  stands in front of a giant who crouches over the other as if protecting him, both wear face masks and caps but I can't help but feel a sense of familiarity when I stare at them as they speak in hushed voices.  I put my headphones back in and jump as Call Me Baby blasts my eardrums to pieces, the guy next to me jumps as well and looks at me as I apologise, but this time, I know where I know these people are from. The famous EXO beagle line, the guy next to me is Kim Jongdae, the two in front of me are Park Chanyeol and Byun Baekhyun, my eyes widen and Jongdae seems to have sensed what's going on as he subtly shakes his head, his eyes desperate and pleading for me not to tell, I nod and tear my gaze from him and focus on the outside, taking deep breaths to calm my erratic heartbeat. 

The students stop comes close when I realise the possibility of them figuring out who the people in front of me will be much higher and quicker than when I did, I panic, not knowing how to tell the members to be careful when I look down at my phone. Thank the technology gods for adding notes I think, quickly typing out a warning for Jongdae to see and hopefully pass on. Once done, I nudge Jongdae's shoulder slightly but he doesn't seem to notice, I whine slightly at the thought of possibly hurting him and nudge him harder then, nod at my lap as he looks over with a confused expression and follows my line of sight. His eyes widen, looking up he lets out a pattern of coughs which the others seem to understand just in time as the bus stops and they turn to the window, Chanyeol's tall frame covering Baekhyun. The students come sauntering down the aisle and I try to act as normal as possible until I feel a heavy weight on my shoulder and realise Jongdae has pretended to fall asleep on me, the students snicker at the sight and step off laughing. 

Once the students had left we were the only passengers on the bus and I expected the guys to sit together and ignore me but Jongdae made no attempt at moving.

"They're gone," I whisper "you don't have to lay on me anymore."

"Okay," he whispered back, his voice husky from exhaustion probably, but still he made no effort to move. I bit my lip and was about to say something when he spoke again.

"Can I stay here, please? I'm super tired and you're really comfy, it'll only be a little while, promise," he mumbles nudging his head deeper into the crook of my neck, his hair tickling my ear as I hold my breath. I look up quickly wondering if the others will tell him to stop but instead I'm faced with Baekhyun's back and I realise he's hugging Chanyeol whose head rests in the crook of the smaller one's neck. 

'Did I die and go to heaven? Or did I fall asleep on the bus? Oh, that's embarrassing please say I died instead' I think pinching myself and wincing when I feel the sharp pain. 

The bus stops suddenly at a red light and Jongdae falls onto my lap but he doesn't seem to wake up. I sit with my hands awkwardly held out in front of me not knowing what to do with them when a pair of hands reach up and grab them, I gasp and look down to see the sleepy eyes of Jongdae which smile as he brings my hands down, one on his shoulder and the other on top of his head. It looks like such an uncomfortable position but he doesn't seem to care. His hair is soft and I absent-mindedly it, forgetting who it was, a small laugh escapes his covered lips, I flinch back apologising but he whines and forces my hand back. I sit rigidly for a few minutes and try to relax by looking out into the dark, once again the soft hair beneath my hand, slowly I find myself falling asleep.

"All right you kids, last stop now get off, some of us want to get home on time you know." the gravelly voice of the bus driver jerked me awake. 

"Jongdae its time to get off now," I say, nudging the deep sleeper who moaned and sat up slowly, his hair a mess, rubbing his eyes like a little kid. I look over to see Baekhyun lying on Chanyeols lap, both of them still fast asleep, sometime during the ride they must have sat down I guess, smiling.

"You have a nice smile," Jongdae says popping into view "and a very comfy lap, what's your name anyway?" he says slipping his mask, which must have fallen off during his sleep, into his pocket.

"Yumi and I'm glad you found it comfy but next time you do that to a stranger you might want to ask first," I reply laughing. 

"Can you get off already" the driver shouts

"Alright, alright hold your horses I've gotta wake these two up first" I yell back and walk over to wake the other two.

"Baek has a tendency to hit people that wake him unless its Chanyeol so be careful" Jongdae warns, picking up my forgotten bag from the seat. 

"Wow...okay thanks for the warning," I reply carefully shaking Chanyeols shoulder and stepping back as Baekhyun stirs in his sleep.

As soon as we're out of the door the bus speeds off, the doors closing halfway down the street. The cover of the bus shelter keeps us from getting soaked but we couldn't stay there forever, I sigh and turn around to see Jongdae holding out my bag. 

"Ah, thanks!" I laugh, brushing the hair from my face in embarrassment as he chuckles and I take it off him. 

"It's really coming down isn't it?" He says, looking at the clouded sky, 

"Make sure you keep warm, don't want my comfy shoulder getting sick do we?" he laughs, flashing a large smile that makes my heart skip a beat.

"I think you should worry about yourself first, seeing as you're an idol and all, but thanks." I smile, "Oh and stop sleeping like that it will ruin your back" I add

"I guess we'll have to sit at the back next time so I can lie down comfortably then!" he says, laughing when he sees my eyes widen and my face flushes a deep red under the lamplight. 

"Right...right, um I think they want to go, it's pretty cold. It was nice meeting you!" I stutter, 

"Ah... right..." Jongdae murmurs, looking over at his shivering members, 

"Be safe and keep warm then!" he says, walking backward and waving.

"You too!" I smile waving, watching them as they leave under umbrellas. 
Turning around I reach out to see how strong the rain is coming down, I only put it out for a second but it's soaked.

"This is gonna be fun" I sighed, bracing myself I took a step, wincing as I felt the cold, icy rain hit my skin.

And then it stops. 

"Hmm, looks like I won't be needing unnecessary exercising or an umbrella after all" I mumble, taking another step.

"Are you sure about that?" A voice replies behind me and suddenly the rain is back, making me spin around and collide with a hard yet warm object. Clutching my nose I look up to see a laughing Jongdae, one hand on my lower back, steadying me from the hit, and the other held out in front of him holding an umbrella above us, looking closer I can see that not all of him from and his back is getting soaked. 

"I'm guessing you don't have your umbrella?" he asks cocking his head slightly, I nod looking down at my feet, 

"Here, take mine. We have enough for all of us," he says grabbing my hand and gently wrapping my fingers around the handle. 

"Ah... thanks..." I whisper, his eyes sparkling in the light. 

"No problem, plus it gives me an excuse to see you again." He winks, backing away with a grin on his face.

"What?!" I almost shout, head snapping up to see the cheeky beagle running off and suddenly I'm alone again, face beet red and heart going crazy. The walk home is a mess of emotion, I'd just met Kim Jongdae of EXO, one of the biggest groups and my favourite one at that. 

This is a dream...right?