Tempo

Worlds Collide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 3: Tempo

⍟ ⍟ ⍟

My mind was surely playing tricks on me. Here I was, mouth agape, eyes glued to the sight before me. This was crazy. What was he doing? Was he insane?

The TV screen on the wall before me was showing ËXO leaving their latest concert venue. What caught my attention was the familiar oversized hoodie and MY sunglasses and hat worn by someone who supposedly was ËXO’s Baekhyun. The guy was taller but Chanyeol did a good job hiding ‘me’ away from the cameras. As there was no shocking news of ËXO’s vocalist embarrassing mistake it was safe to assume that trick worked, and no one doubted that Baekhyun was right there getting into the van alongside s.

So many emotions ran through me from amazement and shock as Hyukjae hyung’s plan was so insane, to warmth and gratitude as they did have my back as always. Then it got to anger and guilt, directed at no one other but myself. They all worked so hard to cover for me and my mistakes once more. Watching Suho and Kai distract the fans as they happily waved at them. I could read the exhaustion on their face just as the first half of the show ended. Yet here they were always putting up a smile for our fans. I cannot continue to make them do this for me. I should do better and not be a bother to them. Work harder.

I needed to get out of here. Joonim was right. With my first solo music show apparition in the next few hours... I must go over the routines and the tech test as well since the pitch was all wrong last time in the studio. Joonim also wanted me to have the outfit fitting as well. Ugh. My brain was fired up with the long schedule that was only for the next few hours, yet I knew how important this was.

I was lucky enough to be given the opportunity of a solo promotion and that requires me to work hard, not disappoint everyone by laying in this hospital bed. I was a walking contradiction. I wanted the rest, but I always wanted to work even harder and improve.  I yearn for time off but all I do in my time off is make music, post on my YouTube channel, do live streams anything that has more to do with ËXO Baekhyun and less with Byun Baekhyun the nerdy and fun kid that I used to be. I want to give back so much to the fans and never seems to be enough, I also love my job. I always loved singing. It just feels like with every step that I took forward on this imaginary stairway to fame more weights were added on my back and the expectations seems to be for me to continue powering through them all like nothing happened.

 My fists hit the bed as my anger surged through my body. Even with all my determination to fix the situation, the familiar dizziness took over and made me collapse back against the fluffy pillows as soon as I attempted to get up. In all the silence you could clearly hear the pump machine carefully dosing out the fluids through the IV. Through the peacefulness of my room the unmistakably voice of Joonim just outside the door made my eyes tiredly snap towards it. From this position I could clearly make out the silhouette of the young doctor through the blinds as my manager leaned closer to her. Hana was her name?

She was something else.

For a short minute there got me thinking she would make a great manager since she’s got the attitude for it. The amused smile on my face quickly died down. Seeing the pack of cash sliding into her pocket I knew that soon I will be discharged and put on my way with some sort of vitamins that are supposed to pump me up and keep me energized through the schedules. Only to return to the hospital later.

Same old routine.  I guess that is how our world works. Even in the most prestigious hospitals and with the good doctors like her. Money and power always win.

 

⍟ ⍟ ⍟

 

" Come on doc~ I am sure we can work something out. " The smug smile on his face as his chubby hand subtly placed the neatly rolled up pack of money into my pocket only made me feel even sicker to my stomach.

"Just have another look. The boy is fine. He just needs some vitamins and will be back on stage in a few hours. He needs to be up on the stage in a few hours.” The emphasis couldn’t be clearer as the same hand was now rubbing my arm. I could feel the last bit of self-restrain leaving my body. Blood was boiling in my veins at his outrageous words. “If it would make your decision easier, I can even get him to sign something for you. Are you an ËXO fan? He can even sing for you" Sure he can. Maybe even put him to dance while hooked up with that IV. Of course, he would think that would make me melt over and decide that my patient's health is less important than some signed merch. I guess that's how their world works but not here.

With a calm that was so out of character for me, I pulled the bundle of money out of my pocket and start counting the notes. Not just any notes. Dollars. 24 perfectly folded notes of 100 dollars. I cannot help but compare that there are many long ER shifts I must do in order to get this money. I could see his face looking at me with confusion but keeping the strained grin on.

“So, all of this, he can also sing and sign anything for me?” My mind put everything in balance as I looked at the person before me. His grin only grew wider.

“Of course. Of course. Anything. Just get the discharge release papers ready.”

Please behave. Don’t fight. Listen to your boss. ER funding depends on it.

Ugh this was making me crazy. I could only sigh, turn around and walk into the room.

“2400 dollars, an autograph and I also get you serenading me.” My words seem to startle the vocalist as he had no idea why I would say such nonsense and not tell him about his test results instead.

“That’s how much you’re worth to him.” I made my point as I move my head in the direction of the annoying manager who was now sitting there staring at me like I grew two more heads. “Thought you should know. In case you want to hire some more competent staff next time.” With that I threw the money on the oak patient table, really annoyed at this point as I face this Joon guy.

“If you want to make such decisions for him while he’s in here, you should get a medical degree first. Now, if you would both please be kind and understand that we are doing our best to be as efficient as we can that would be very much appreciated.”  For a moment I thought this was the day the Universe decided to test my patience and nerves, reaching into my pocket I fish the small fruit mix container that I just scooped from one of the machines down the hall. With a sigh I turn on my heels and approach my patient’s bed, dropping the container on the blue cashmere blanket that covered him.

“Eat. Consider this as part of my prescription. You need something to bring your blood sugar up. We need to talk about your diet as you need to stop skipping breakfast. Eat a lot of fruits and drink water. Unlike a person spending their day in the office and burning only a couple of calories your …overly active schedule results in your body burning up everything including yourself at a rate so fast you can end up developing long term issues. The vitamins you are taking are no good as they are really low on iron and that does not help with your fainting spells.” I could see him looking incredulously at me still after analysing the container in his hands.

“I will write you up for new vitamins and I will make sure to make some diet recommendations to your doctor.” I could barely finish my sentence as he was pulling the blankets off and got ready to leave if it wasn’t for the fluids still running. I approached the pump and stopped the device, quickly disconnecting him after.

“Where do you think you’re going?” My eyebrow raised in confusion.

“I am discharged no? New vitamins and all. Eat better. I know the drill.”  That is exactly what I should have done. But that would also make me a lousy doctor.

“You are staying the night. I will have your blood sugar checked in a few hours again just to make sure it’s back up. Eat. Rest. You are not leaving this bed tonight.”  I could hear the swearing that were directed at me that came from the older man in the room, again I totally forgot he was still here.

“You on the other hand…should leave. Patient needs rest. Come back in the morning after rounds and you can pick him up.” I could not miss the name calling that was specifically directed at me that he muttered lowly in the air.

“I will go grab a coffee and update Hyukjae. Turn off that annoying thing I cannot believe this is all happening. It’s a disaster and now everyone has to deal with it because of your dramatic fainting spell.” The words seem to spit out like venom and from the vocalist’s reaction he was quite used to it. Totally ignoring the man as he left the room. For the first time that day, probably because of exhaustion as well, I felt bad for Baekhyun.

“Eat. The hospital food is not the best but that is one of the best things the vending machines can get you. Use your call button if you need anything and Mr Byun…” That had him look at me as if the name seems foreign to him. “Get some sleep.”

“Thank you…Dr. Lee.” I could only return the slight smile before I left the room. Longest sigh of the day leaving my lips.

The silver watch around my wrist now showing 1:24 am.

“Dr. Lee! Dr. Lee” with just that as a warning an army of resi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter