Day after day

Worlds Collide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

⍟ ⍟ ⍟

 

There is this agonizing pain that comes to being awoken by your buzzing phone in the middle of a well-deserved sleep. Obviously, the room filled with cursings and groans as a hand finally collides with the incredibly annoying piece of technology. He answered the call without even checking the caller ID, his voice groggy from sleep. “Hyukjae.”

“Can you freaking believe this? Baekhyun’s doctor is such a dumb ! I tried everything but she will not release him tonight. I do not think she understood how important this is! Even the hospital director is a total moron. He even took her side saying something that he trusts the judgment of his doctors. Guess once the company will hear this our funding for the hospital will be halted that is something he can trust!”

Joon’s voice was a bit too loud for Hyukjae’s still confused state, managing to rub his eyes and get up his bed while holding the device close but still far enough from his ear that he could avoid deafness. Eyes scanned the clock on his phone screen quickly once he was more awake. 3:23 am. A tired sigh left his lips.

“That is not all! Our little spoiled prince also seems to love the idea of lazing around while we stress about his prerecording taking place in less than 4 hours. ‘Rounds will be at 9am’ That crazy ! He needs to be out of here now otherwise he can kiss that solo debut goodbye. Wait until the company hears about this.” 

Call it a sixth sense but the older manager was expecting something like this to happen. He is been with the boys for so long he became familiar with Baek and his busy schedule. In addition, the boy was a machine lately, taking on so much extra work. In his eyes the vocalist was a perfectionist and a hard worker, so this was expected. However, taking care of his health should be a prime concern and seeing how lately that got pushed to the back of Baekhyun’s priority list it would explain all the fainting spells. An artist can perform at their best when they are healthy, and a good manager should know that. Should make that a priority even if it wasn’t one for the said artist.

Hyukjae also knew that from the company’s perspective a lot of people put a lot of incredible hard work and money in order to make Baekhyun’s solo debut happening, the vocalist as well. It was normal for the company to flip if their artist misses his first live show since they are so worried about their image and capital loss. Not to mention all the people who will wake up in a few hours and tirelessly prepare for a show that will get cancelled eventually. All of this being blamed at Baekhyun and his unprofessionalism. That’s how things in the industry are and even if considered harsh it was understandable to an extent.

Coffee cup now in his hand as the other held the phone, the head of management took a moment to think it all out.

“Notifying the company is my job so I will deal with it. Besides, I already informed them of Baek receiving treatment. I will deal with the prerecording and will come and pick him up  tomorrow morning. You should come back to the hotel and get some rest. I will need you at the recording to take over from me as I have a meeting in the afternoon. Text me once you are leaving the hotel tomorrow. Sleep well.”  His eyes already scanning the calendar on his computer.

“Good luck! It’s your mess now.” His eyes squeezed getting a bit irritated at the younger manager’s sarcastic tone, happy to hear the phone call ending tone.

It took Hyukjae a bit over an hour to get some texts sent around and found out from the broadcasting director that the prerecording will be delayed by a good 45 minutes due to issues with the set. Pressing the call icon, he once more brought the device to his ear, continuing to type on his computer.

“Hyukjae do you know what time it is?” Of course, he did, and he could relate to the man’s annoyance.

“Unfortunately, I do. I need a favour. Digital media is advancing, and you can get worldwide recognition not to mention finally being able to pay me back for that publicity stunt I pushed onto my boss for you.” The groggy voice was now nothing but honey sweet as he could feel the grin growing on his lips. It was a reason why he was the chief of management after all and having important connections was one of them.

“What do you want?” It was an instant reply and Hyukjae could not help but be relieved for a minute.

“I need you to carry out the pre-recording without Baek. I will send in a replacement and I want you to carry it out with that replacement then send the final draft to me. You only need the pre-recording for the camera angles, stage line-up and script run for your MC. If you film it even with a replacement and send it over, I can get Baekhyun up to speed with what he needs to do. You know he is a professional and would not even need a prerecording, but I can understand why it is important from your perspective. So how about it?”

He was fully aware of the sheer boldness he just showcased and how much he was asking from the other, yet a good manager should always go beyond and above for their artists.

“Let me guess. You want me to keep it under wraps why your artist couldn’t come himself?”

“Just say a schedule came in. I am sure you can pull that off and no one will question it. You are the director after all.”

“Fine. But you do know this is a huge favour I am doing you, Hyukjae. I will turn a blind eye this time because I am grateful for all your help and I know you would not ask me to pull such a stunt if it wasn’t a situation that would ask for such resort. Take care of your artists and make sure they are coming on time next time. Also let’s meet for some drinks when you get some time off.” Hearing the words, the chief of management could only jump off his seat in a small victory yelp.

“Thank you! And will do, director-nim. It will be my treat. The replacement will be there at 7am for the run. Apologizes for waking up so early as well. Thank you for doing this once more!” Once the phone call ended Hyukjae could finally relax for a minute. Eyes on the clock that now showed just a bit after 5am. Looking through all the replies on his phone, his free hand rubs the side of his head, one message pops on his screen form Joon just to add up on his ,what it seems like growing, list of problems on that day.

‘Chanyeol and Kai are at the hospital. Thought you should know.’

Those idiots.

 

 

⍟⍟⍟

 

“This damn idiot!”

 

That was not my usual alarm tone, but anyone could be awaken by Do Kyungsoo’s angry shouting. Even if you were a zombie who just got…What was the time again?

I rolled onto my side, stretching my tired body over the small hospital bed while trying to comprehend what was happening around me. There seem to me more lighting in the room as the sun was up, a few rays travelling in through the small window next to the bed.

 

“Soo? What’s the time?” I reached around for my phone as I continue to rub my eyes only to have the device thrown at me by my best friend. I could not help but whine when it collided with my thigh.

 

“Damn what’s got you grumpier than usual this morning?” I watched the time. 06:08 am.

 

“Can you believe him? He is tired of waiting up for me! HE. IS. THE. TIRED. ONE?” Ok he was definitely raging. I stand up, trying to fix my scrubs that got wrinkled while I slept and looked at my best friend, just in time to have a phone screen showed in my face. I winched again as the brightness was too much before I could focus on the text.

 

“I can understand you have a busy schedule and save lives on daily basis, but you also have a relationship and you have been neglecting that lately. At least you have time to hang out with Hana and every other one of your friends. Just not me. Do you even care about me anymore?” I read along the texts that seem to appear one after another before hearing Kyungsoo laugh sarcastically. Ouch that was too much of Min to say but from what I can tell despite my awful relationship advice skills is that both are really angry, and it is way too early for such talks.

 

“We live in the same apartment, Hana! We work in the same ER. Of freaking course, we would meet all the time. Is he crazy or what? Not sure if I care! The hell with this.” Seem to be my best friend’s favourite activity today to throw phones at me as this one hit me in the leg after bouncing off the bed.

 

“Soo… he is angry. You are angry. You are both saying stuff you don’t really mean. It’s early. Just talk to each other once you get home and by talk, I mean please stop throwing stuff and just discuss like normal people.”

 

I knew that despite how this argument must look like Kyungsoo really cared about Min and he was happy when with him as the younger bar owner was an escape from all the agitation and strict routine in Soo’s life. I also know how hurtful it must be for him to hear that his lover feels neglected because of his work but we are doctors. We have a duty here and we do love our work. I knew from personal experience that it is really hard for people to understand that especially when it comes to dating. They may brush it off at first saying that it wouldn’t matter for them, that they support you and understand your busy schedule but after a while they will hate it and who wouldn’t? You only see your loved one in the evenings when they are too tired to do anything exciting. Days off are made of lazy dates and to make it even worse there are times when you finally do get away on a proper date and are suddenly paged for an emergency. Being ditched is not nice. And we do hate it too is not like we are made of stone. Kyungsoo sure was not and he did start to hate working so much and not giving his boyfriend the time he wanted to. We all tried to help but this was our best.

 

“How about I go get us some coffee? You should eat something and cool down. Go home and talk to him then ok?” From where I was, I could easily lean in and wrap my arms around his waist, my head leaning against his hip as I yawned sleepily. I could feel his hand coming to pet my head gently.

 

“Coffee sounds good. I cannot promise I will not throw stuff. I can promise to clean the mess before you come home though.” And there it was a slight smile forming at the corner of his lips, enough for me to know that it was safe to run for coffee and leave him alone with his phone without another fight erupting.

 

The corridors of the hospital are always busy, but I guess the VIP wing is different. Have to admit I like the idea of being closer to my favourite vending machine. You see, it takes a good 30 minutes’ walk from the ER to get here, as the department is on the East wing of the hospital, but it is all worth it. The best coffee aside from the small coffee cart outside the hospital entrance.

 

As I reached the VIP waiting room I came face to face with the wall that was lined up with countless vending machines, ranging from food to refreshments and even one with basic necessities like slippers, socks, headphones and many other items that one may not have upon itself when admitted. Me walking in also caused the only person in the room to jump and look at me in horror before he would relax at the familiar sight. I have to admit getting a bit startled myself.

 

“Ah…Doctor it’s you. I thought I was busted for a minute there.” In that moment, the thought of how many other girls dream to wake up to Park Chanyeol in the morning. Probably all of them would look decent unlike me with the same wrinkled scrubs, my messed up high bun that was now hanging low on the back of my neck and no makeup sleepy face.  

 

“Morning.” I stuffed the small green purse into my pocket as I start to fix my hair, of course I was not expecting to bump into anyone at this time.

 

“Yeah… I told them to take security seriously. I apologize for earlier. No reporters should be around now.” Once my hair was somehow secured, I nod my head and give him a smile that made him look genuinely relieved.

 

Right. I was here for coffee. Making my way to the machine I pressed the button for the latte after placing the notes in the machine and waited for the cup to fill.

 

“It was not your fault. I should apologize for Baek’s manager. I may have heard how out of line he was towards you. Also…thank you for looking after our stubborn vocalist. That guy works so hard all the time he just forgets to look after his health. Idiot.” My eyes were now on the taller artist next to me and I could easily catch that smile forming on his lips at that last word.

 

“He is lucky to have friends like you.” The mere sentence seems to make the giant regard me with big surprised eyes, as if he was not expecting the compliment at all. “After all, you and your other member sneaked into a hospital and kidnaped my best friend just to come and be with him.” With that the room fills with laugher as both of us couldn’t help it. I picked my coffee cup and press the button for a second one, an espresso.

 

“That was all Jongin!” I watch him amused as he raises his hands in defence, the same amused smile appearing on his face being mirrored on my own. “I am really sorry for that. Please pass it on to the other doctor. He looked really offended yesterday. He was also really scary.”

 

“Oh he can be really scary.” My mind drifted to the marvellous view I woke up this morning, not able to help the sigh as my free hand catches the second cup. “This show…the one that he has today. Is it really that important?” My question seems to catch him off guard as he picks up his water bottle and the cereal bar retrieved from the machine, all while contemplating for an answer.

 

“He worked really hard for this. Many people did and I think he feels responsible for them not wanting their work, and his, to go to waste. Missing it would make him look unprofessional and he would probably work himself into ground again to make it up for it.” The more he would add the deeper the frown on his face would become. Looking at me he flashed me a sad smile. “Unfortunately, he really needs to make it to this show.  But I am glad you kept him here and looked after his health. That is more important! Uhm…I also made sure he ate before resting and he was asleep when I left the room!” The quick nod he gave me made me chuckle as all my warnings did work after all.

 

“You did good. I will come and check on him after coffee.” Both of our eyes locked with the clock on the wall. 06:45 am. “I know I said rounds will be later, but I will do the best I can to save him the trouble catch up with stuff today. But this is only if his blood sugar is better and only if he eats some proper breakfast before. Cereal bar is not proper food.” I warn as I point my head towards the bar in his hand. Chanyeol only grins and hides it behind his back.

 

“Proper breakfast. Got it. Thanks, doctor.” I gave him a smile and my heels.

 

“Get back to the room! You will distract the staff

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter