002

Lights Off

        Miran got up from the bed and threw on a shirt before heading to the bathroom to clean herself up. Eunwoo still laid in her bed, deeply, deeply, thinking.

        Eunwoo finally got up to put on his sweatpants.

        "Are you leaving already?" Miran asked, walking back into the bedroom.

        Eunwoo smiled. "Do you want me to stay?"

        "Up to you," she replied. Eunwoo wished she said yes.

        "I'll stay for a bit," Eunwoo said, laying back on the bed.

        Miran did the same and laid on her side, resting her head on Eunwoo's chest. His arm wrapped around her and gently her back. He closed his eyes and enjoyed the relaxing moment, but something irked him.

        His thoughts kept circling to his conversation with Jinwoo and to the question of, was he happy?

        "Miran," Eunwoo said, abruptly.

        "What?" She sensed the tension in his voice.

        "What are we?" Eunwoo asked.

        Miran laughed, perhaps out of nervousness. "What do you mean?"

        "I mean...us. What are we? What would you call it?"

        "Our relationship…" Miran began, searching for the right words. "We're like, at the perfect sweet spot between friendship and relationship."

        Eunwoo thought about her answer, unsatisfied with the vagueness.

        "When you say perfect, do you mean you don't want things to change?"

        "Do you want it to change?" Miran asked.

        "I'm asking you first."

        "What reason is there to change it?" Miran responded. "And even if we do...progress things, what difference would it make besides the labels?"

        Eunwoo took his arm away from Miran and sat up, trying to place his thoughts into words. Miran did the same.

        "If you don't care about the labels then why can't we just do it?" Eunwoo pushed. "I mean we've been hooking up for four months for 's sake."

        Miran was surprised to see his sudden outburst. "I didn't know you felt this way."

        Eunwoo looked her in the eyes. "I knew from the moment I saw you that I wanted us to be together."

        He waited. Eunwoo wanted her to say something that would make him feel like he wasn't the only one that cared. In his mind, he pictured her embracing him, declaring her love for him. They would forget this conversation was ever happening and fall back asleep. Instead, he was face to face with someone who didn't understand him at all. Miran was frozen, unable to do anything. She knew that whatever she said wouldn't please him.

        "I don't… I don't know how I feel," She replied truthfully. Her hand gripped the bed sheets, trying to stop herself from shaking. She wondered if she should've lied in this moment and said what Eunwoo would want her to say.

        Eunwoo laughed and shook his head in disbelief at himself and his naivety.  "You clearly don't feel the same way."

        Eunwoo got up from the bed and began to put his clothes back on. Miran became desperate to salvage the conversation.

        "You know I don't mean it like that," she said. "I obviously like you, a lot. Relationships just get so messy and too serious. I really don't want to lose what we have right now."

        "What's the problem with being serious? Why do you insist on having everything be so easy?" Eunwoo pressured. "If you don't care about me at all just tell me instead of stringing me along with all this bull."

        He started walking to the door. Miran rushed after him.

        "Just stay and we can talk about this more," Miran asked him, realizing if he left then their relationship would be over.

        "I gave you too many chances already," Eunwoo said, his voice without feeling. "Do you know how much I make myself look like an idiot for you? My friends think I'm the stupidest person alive."

        He put his hand on the doorknob, freezing at the thought of leaving.

        Finally, having the strength to open the door, he mustered a final, "good night."

        Miran's hearing became fuzzy with only the sound of the door slamming echoing in her head. She felt truly, truly, alone.  

        She asked herself if she was truly as heartless as Eunwoo made her seem. Was she really as cold as he thought of her as? Slowly, tears began to roll down her cheek. It was the only sensation that gave her warmth.